Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

So my girlfriend got me to go watch Crimson Peak with her the other day, and guess who pops up very early on? Jim Beaver (Bobby). It really stuck me that I've never really seen him in anything outside of the show, but drat if he's not instantly likable in the role. In fact, I can without any doubt at all say he's the best thing about the movie.

Of course.. (Crimson Peak spoiler):
..like Supernatural, it immediately goes downhill fast once he leaves.

I'd kill to see this guy in a western with Jeff Bridges or something. It's kind of a shame he's not in more stuff.

ED: And surprisingly yes, he out acts every other actor in the movie. I'd watched a whole movie about his character instead. Kind of wish I did.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised at seeing him in the movie too. I thought the movie was actually pretty decent though. Very nice visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
And Justified. Partly because it's an amazing show, but yes. Beaver pops up in S2 and S3, with a more prominent role in S4.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Astroman posted:

Yeah, they're making a real effort resetting things, what with the Winchester permadeath, Crowley maybe being totally bad again, etc.

I like that death kept bringing them back to life essentially for shits and giggles.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, if he didn't bring back Dean, who'd get him junk food?

OH GOD.

HE ATE SO MUCH JUNK FOOD.

HE BROUGHT BACK DEAN TO GET IT.

DEAN KILLED HIM.

FAST FOOD KILLED DEATH.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

quote:

YOU KILLED HER

quote:

You're welcome

Crowley has the best lines again.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Holy poo poo, that scene with a demon and angel just getting drunk and complaining about how much their jobs suck. :allears:

EDIT: Stars, Evolution, Taylor Swift.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Supernatural Season 11 - What could "Fortune Nookie" be?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rowena trying so hard to sell the....

MEGA coven & having it fall so flat were good moments.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I actually enjoyed this last episode. The soul-eating girl, I think her name is Amara, reminds me of the anti-Christ kid with how powerful she is. I kind of hope they bring him back this season to have their "good" opposite to the girl.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I liked this weeks episode. I think Jensen Ackles did a good job directing it. Crowley seems to be slowly realizing that he won't be able to control Amara like he thought.

Next week is a bottle episode centered around a MOTW it looks like. Hopefully after that we get to see what those visions Sam had from his time in Hell meant. Hopefully, there will be some Lucifer, Michael, Winchesters, Crowley vs Amara action going on.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Flint Michigan Mega Bowl!!

Every time she said it, that went through my head.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Next week looks interesting, supposedly everything is told from the cars perspective

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Titan posted:

Crowley seems to be slowly realizing that he won't be able to control Amara like he thought.

He's been really dumb about that. I assume they're setting it up as an excuse to have him realise he'll have to work with the Winchesters, because that's always fun, but it's kind of painful to watch him think he's winning her over when he clearly isn't.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Watching Crowley trying to project his usual jovial evil while becoming increasingly visibly unnerved is actually pretty funny, I'm diggin it

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
At this point wouldn't angels basically be the only thing that are safe from Amara?

She eats souls, and they don't have em. Maybe their vessel does, but since Cas is out and walking around it's not like the vessel NEEDS a soul.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

At this point wouldn't angels basically be the only thing that are safe from Amara?

She eats souls, and they don't have em. Maybe their vessel does, but since Cas is out and walking around it's not like the vessel NEEDS a soul.

She can probably eat their grace?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Demons don't have souls either but she eats then somehow.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Demons ARE souls.

Just twisted, hosed up, tortured for a few millenia human souls.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I thought Cas is a special case as his vessel was killed and his soul is in heaven. His body was remade in its previous image.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I dunno. There's the off chance that Adam isn't stuck in the cage as well, since apparently there's a level of damage that means the soul goes poof, and Adam got molotov'd by Cas.

Might have just been Death loving with Dean about who's in there and needs to be saved.

Cas has been brought back at least 3 times now though, and was permanently bonded to his vessel way back in season 4 or 5? Maybe that's the trick?

Demon's don't need a soul to possess a vessel, cause Ruby was wandering around in a meat suit, and that maid from the last episode was just a walking meat suit. Maybe a demon possessed person is like a double stuffed oreo for Amara?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Demon's don't need a soul to possess a vessel, cause Ruby was wandering around in a meat suit, and that maid from the last episode was just a walking meat suit. Maybe a demon possessed person is like a double stuffed oreo for Amara?

Crowley was deliberately only feeding her demons in dead bodies, because he thought she would eat both the demon and the original soul and leave the body alive but soulless, like she did the first time, and he didn't want a bunch of soulless people wandering around. I think normally a demon needs the body to be alive to possess it the first time, but once the body sustains enough damage to kill it, the human soul leaves even though the demon soul is holding it together. Crowley may be an exception, or maybe demons can just return to a body they've previously inhabited even if it is dead. I can't remember if we've seen a demon possess a dead body before.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tiggum posted:

Crowley was deliberately only feeding her demons in dead bodies, because he thought she would eat both the demon and the original soul and leave the body alive but soulless, like she did the first time, and he didn't want a bunch of soulless people wandering around. I think normally a demon needs the body to be alive to possess it the first time, but once the body sustains enough damage to kill it, the human soul leaves even though the demon soul is holding it together. Crowley may be an exception, or maybe demons can just return to a body they've previously inhabited even if it is dead. I can't remember if we've seen a demon possess a dead body before.

Yeah Ruby possessed a body that was recently deceased.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Demons are just rear end in a top hat ghosts.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah Ruby possessed a body that was recently deceased.

If you mean Ruby 2, I think the body was vegetative and on life support, but not totally dead.

When did the Winchesters just start assuming that the person in every body a demon inhabits is already dead? That definitely wasn't the case in the first couple seasons, and the original Meg was still alive in the body even after falling off a building. If you ask me it's just how they justify gutting people by the truckload.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

If you mean Ruby 2, I think the body was vegetative and on life support, but not totally dead.

When did the Winchesters just start assuming that the person in every body a demon inhabits is already dead? That definitely wasn't the case in the first couple seasons, and the original Meg was still alive in the body even after falling off a building. If you ask me it's just how they justify gutting people by the truckload.

Maybe after the episode where they exorcise the demon from the one dude and it turns out that the human is a serial killer that loved the demon.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

Right around the time they put a giant X through the "saving people" part of the tagline. They used to, but I can't recall a single person that was both saved and didn't die in seasons, except a few recurring characters that this show will undoubtedly kill the second the mood strikes them.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Demons are just rear end in a top hat ghosts.

I like how all non-plot stuff seems to have stopped in the world. They hear of a bunch of chairs stacking up in a diner and not once do they even consider it was just a ghost or something.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 25, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wouldn't have a problem with the "saving people" line being crossed (out) due to the increasingly hosed up nature of the things they've faced and, basically, hunter fatigue/PTSD just kinda deadening them to the plight of the common victim if only the show would confront it for once. They even have a perfect hook with what just happened with Sam, he can be all "hey I just spent most of our remaining holy oil to purify that town of the Darkness" and Dean could be like "that's great but couldn't you have saved that stuff for something more important than some backwoods yokels, we're fighting the evil that predates the universe here!" And hey, both of them would have a point and it'd be a better hook for inter-bro drama than "secrets, trust and FAMIWWY" part 10: the hood-starening.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Supernatural Season 11 - Don't You "Night Moves" Me

You know this season is what this show's been lacking for a while. Fun.

also holy poo poo hi Daddy Winchester.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

"I'm not sure how orange correlates with black in a way that is new." - Cas

:allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That was a pretty interesting concept for an episode and it felt way more brutal than a lot of recent episodes.

I liked the young Daddy Winchester cameo, but I was kind of hoping it would end up being Lucifer.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

That was the best episode since the musical. The honesty. Holy poo poo. I can like this show for reals again if they continue like this.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

GreenNight posted:

Next week looks interesting, supposedly everything is told from the cars perspective

I didn't even notice, but you're right.

I think all those blows to the head are really getting to Sam and Dean, they both forgot they wanted normal lives and did it between seasons while the other brother was locked up in hell or the cage. Or maybe it's the car doing it, it's a holy relic and it has a mind of it's own and helps protect it's owner and also turns them into Gollum. That would explain why monsters immediately go for the kill on everybody else, but prefer to throw Sam and Dean around until they are thrown next to a convenient weapon that can kill the monster that just happened to be laying near by. Also, they need to keep up with these episodes that are actually good.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 29, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm wondering if the writers have legitimately forgotten that Lisa and Ben even existed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That like a season 3 episode or something. Best in a long while.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

That like a season 3 episode or something. Best in a long while.

4 episodes and we've already seen some massive changes to the format of the last few years, all for the better. It's mindblowing that 11 years in now all of a sudden they're really taking major risks with the types of episodes they're doing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They did that found footage episode just a couple of seasons ago...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know I was thinking what partly made that episode good was restraining the focus to the car, they didn't have to keep bouncing around to demons using loving Microsoft products and stuff.

Even if you like Crowley all those plots feel like whacky looney-toons at this point; you don't even think of them as monsters anymore, in the same way, because of the tone. Here they had a monster that was pretty goofy, but in a horror-comedy way. Also it was nice to see them actually hunt something, actually save people, the old format of actually figuring out what to do to kill it and also be on the same Goddamn page with each other and not having more seeeecrets. In fact, they even cleared up a couple.

I really hope they keep this up.

ED: The way things have been I'm half surprised the dream sequence didn't reveal some horrible thing Dean can't know just to spin the wheels for 10 minutes an episode exchanging "Does he know?" glances. God drat if they never do another secret I'll be happy.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 29, 2015

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
This episode is the first in awhile that made me remember the brothers actually like each other. The bonding over the waitress and singing reminded me of earlier episodes. I also loved the fact that when Dean found out Sam had been sick he was pissed but got over it, unlike most seasons where he would be dramatic about it for most of the year.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That episode was really good. Optimism for this season... rising... riisiing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

This was the best episode in a really long time. Also, God's just taking a spin as Baby, right? Like, so many things happened directly involving 'random chance' in Baby that just spoke so strongly to Futurama's God-Cloud saying "when you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." That, coupled directly with an argument about the fuckin' phrase "god helps those who help themselves" in the back seat of the car really made me leap to far away conclusions.