Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Modest Mao posted:

You're insane hth

wake up sheeple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

In It For The Tank posted:

It might be because that's more than high enough to hit Mantis. That's like double the level fo what I was expecting your support team to be.

Yeah, that's what it almost certainly was. I got him with the LMG, though, so thanks. And yeah, I kill a lot (probably too much) time farming staff, etc. Kills boredom, builds my team... helps me procrastinate.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

diamond dog posted:

seeking NY goons for a sneaking mission/B&E

Noooooooo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MrSmokes posted:

So, was there an actual good reason why Quiet didn't just write in English? Was it because she hated everyone but Snake on Mother Base? Apologies if this was actually explained, it's been a while since I beat the story.

I guess the parasites aren't 100% understood by everyone and they assume just thinking about the language at all will trigger them? Like if you don't know better I guess you'd avoid your lungs turning into spaghetti by any means

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

setafd posted:

I hated that they explained the Cobras' powers

Nanomachines

But yeah it's implied even if they don't say it. The End literally has the same power as Quiet without the stealth. He also photosynthesizes and is super good at sniping

How's the MGS3 HD collection on Vita because I really wanna play that game again now, I totally forgot they explode and say their name at the same time

THE PAIN the pain the pain

diamond dog posted:

every answer you could get based on this bullshit game is gonna be wrong because skull face is probably revolver ocelot or something. WHO KNOWS

PS there's multiple clues indicating that you're seeing the world mirrored (like SGOD DNOMAID in Shining Lights and Paz Zone, arms reversed in the intro, POWs closing their left eye, and the use of the PC-6001 version of Portopia which has a screen to swap your red and blue channels unlike the MSX rom), so every time you saw XOF it probably really says FOX.

holy poo poo

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Oct 25, 2015

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I guess the parasites aren't 100% understood by everyone and they assume just thinking about the language at all will trigger them? Like if you don't know better I guess you'd avoid your lungs turning into spaghetti by any means

It gets more idiotic when you consider she (somehow) knows Navajo, which won't trigger the parasites at all. She could have told everyone stuff / written it down in Navajo. The obvious problem here is that until Code Talker showed up no one on base knew Navajo, but considering they can get their hands on nukes, giant walking robots, etc. I think finding a Navajo translator would have been pretty simple.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nanomachines

But yeah it's implied even if they don't say it. The End literally has the same power as Quiet without the stealth. He also photosynthesizes and is super good at sniping

How's the MGS3 HD collection on Vita because I really wanna play that game again now, I totally forgot they explode and say their name at the same time

THE PAIN the pain the pain

holy poo poo

They say it outright. Code Talker got his parasites by studying the remains of The End. They also mention parasites that let you be covered in bees. I don't believe they mention The Fear, but it's not a far leap to say his invisibility is the same as Quiet/The Skulls. Funnily enough, The Sorrow is just a psychic, The Fury is just very angry, and Volgin has lightning powers because of Japanese superstition.

Colapops posted:

It gets more idiotic when you consider she (somehow) knows Navajo, which won't trigger the parasites at all. She could have told everyone stuff / written it down in Navajo. The obvious problem here is that until Code Talker showed up no one on base knew Navajo, but considering they can get their hands on nukes, giant walking robots, etc. I think finding a Navajo translator would have been pretty simple.

This is brought up constantly and the reason Quiet doesn't talk or even write is more because it gives Miller an excuse to interrogate her to death. It's not an issue of needing a Navajo translator, it's an issue of her being undecided whether to kill Venom Snake or not and therefore not communicating at all to ensure her safety for as long as possible.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 25, 2015

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Colapops posted:

It's been said before that Quiet probably kept quiet (and didn't write anything) because she couldn't trust anyone + was still thinking of killing Big Boss.

EDIT: Especially since at the end she does speak Navajo because at that point it doesn't matter to her anymore if they know or not. Sadly, how could she expect Pequod to know what Navajo is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why is it significant that a POW closes a particular eye?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The game had a full text dump pre-release, there are no secrets, we've seen all there is to see (including the nuke scene which is waiting for Konami to flip a switch).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You're not playing as Kaz and you're not on a holodeck, diamond dog has just self induced Never Be Game Over schizophrenia through nanomachine hypnosis

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Cool Goon Snark.

I'm obviously starting from the position that there's a ruse and enjoying the hunt--and we're obviously supposed to be hunting. This game is packed with oddities and dumb codes and poo poo which you can pretend don't exist if you want to be a boring rear end in a top hat but that doesn't change the fact that they're there.

Here's an example: someone datamined the companion app and found a reference to something called ChicoVilla somewhere to the east of guard post 22 in Africa. This lines up with a strange inaccessible building on a clifftop south east of Nyoba Whatever (with the body pits and unique pair of container buildings). Below this building there's a house with a shed with no door, and a speaker/exhaust fan thing that I haven't seen anywhere else in the game. In Peace Walker Chico says he wants to go hunt bigfoots in Africa.

I think this, and all the things pointing to the honey bee area, are probably bullshit hoaxes meant to draw out this neverbegameover stuff. But they're really in the game and that's undeniable even if you don't like the bullshit conclusions that I'm explicitly presenting as things that I don't have total confidence in.

I've been listening to Diamond Dogs on loop since the game came out, lately my neighbours are starting to get mad about this and are yelling abuse over the fence. Nothing you gay nerds can say can hurt me.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The game had a full text dump pre-release, there are no secrets, we've seen all there is to see (including the nuke scene which is waiting for Konami to flip a switch).

Source? That's the first I've heard about this text dump. Aside from that, whether there's more content to be unlocked doesn't mean there's not a story to unravel. For instance in the final tape, of Zero visiting Snake in hospital, you can hear motherbase sci-fi doors whooshing rather than the normal wooden doors you see in the intro*. They didn't put that in by accident. They didn't animate a POW to do a weird conspicuous eye thing accidentally either. Games are not accumulated spontaneous random content particularly when they're designed by a notorious troll.

*(also both the intro and Shining Lights have those ominous red fire alarm things)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

diamond dog posted:

Cool Goon Snark.

I'm obviously starting from the position that there's a ruse and enjoying the hunt--and we're obviously supposed to be hunting. This game is packed with oddities and dumb codes and poo poo which you can pretend don't exist if you want to be a boring rear end in a top hat but that doesn't change the fact that they're there.

Here's an example: someone datamined the companion app and found a reference to something called ChicoVilla somewhere to the east of guard post 22 in Africa. This lines up with a strange inaccessible building on a clifftop south east of Nyoba Whatever (with the body pits and unique pair of container buildings). Below this building there's a house with a shed with no door, and a speaker/exhaust fan thing that I haven't seen anywhere else in the game. In Peace Walker Chico says he wants to go hunt bigfoots in Africa.

I think this, and all the things pointing to the honey bee area, are probably bullshit hoaxes meant to draw out this neverbegameover stuff. But they're really in the game and that's undeniable even if you don't like the bullshit conclusions that I'm explicitly presenting as things that I don't have total confidence in.

I've been listening to Diamond Dogs on loop since the game came out, lately my neighbours are starting to get mad about this and are yelling abuse over the fence. Nothing you gay nerds can say can hurt me.

Source? That's the first I've heard about this text dump. Aside from that, whether there's more content to be unlocked doesn't mean there's not a story to unravel. For instance in the final tape, of Zero visiting Snake in hospital, you can hear motherbase sci-fi doors whooshing rather than the normal wooden doors you see in the intro*. They didn't put that in by accident. They didn't animate a POW to do a weird conspicuous eye thing accidentally either. Games are not accumulated spontaneous random content particularly when they're designed by a notorious troll.

*(also both the intro and Shining Lights have those ominous red fire alarm things)

:yikes:

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
:ghost: :goku: :synthy: :china:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My neighbors are starting to complain about my insane fixation of Metal Gear Solid V, but no, I do not have a problem

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was in /vg/'s Metal Gear general.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My neighbors are starting to complain about my insane fixation of Metal Gear Solid V, but no, I do not have a problem

Hi that was a joke, you can tell because it was hilarious. You aren't funny though, you just repeated something another poster said in the previous page, because you're bad.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
hmmmmm what's the right emoticon to get out of this one????

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

diamond dog posted:

Hi that was a joke, you can tell because it was hilarious. You aren't funny though, you just repeated something another poster said in the previous page, because you're bad.

People are saying you're insane because you keep typing like an insane person

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
:burger:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I like diamond dogs posts. And he's right. :ocelot:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Oh and the novel of the game was released in japan by Hitori Nojima, someone noone has heard or seen before and its his first novel, the novel has no new info but its getting translated right now. But kojima was in an interview recently saying how this nojima copy cat was probably his successor at konami or some poo poo.

The ruse never ends.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

setafd posted:

I hated that they explained the Cobras' powers

this was definitely a sore point for me as well. I kind of hated in general that everything was simply explained as either nanomachines or parasites in the end. Vampire? nah, nanomachines. Mystical beekeeper terrorist? nah, parasites. Everything else? LATENT ESP/PSYCHOKINESIS.

I don't remember what Volgin's deal is, I don't recall if he was a "parasite" guy or not.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't remember what Volgin's deal is, I don't recall if he was a "parasite" guy or not.

He was a metaphorical parasite.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

diamond dog posted:

They didn't animate a POW to do a weird conspicuous eye thing accidentally either.

Seriously, what the gently caress is up with this, it sounds stupid

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Are we supposed to think that when you see a person missing an eye you yourself close that eye to talk to them? I'm on board for MGS weirdness but still not understanding that part.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Well you see, it's not actually 1984, it's 1484, and closing one eye was a common way of showing respect when talking to pirates. You'll have to ask diamond dog why MGSV takes place so far in the past, I think they were going for an Assassin's Creed thing.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
It doesn't mean anything by itself, and it might mean something else, but it may support the mirroring thing if she's trying to tell you that your left eye is bad rather than your right.

It's weird, none of the POWs you rescue talk to you when you're carrying them, afaik? Besides Kaz (who might be imaginary), but they did in GZ. Mute Basilisk communicates with charades, Quiet jiggles at you, and Code Talker uses his magic pipe when speaking to you. Maybe they all know something we don't; maybe the English parasite is closer than you think?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

diamond dog posted:

It's weird, none of the POWs you rescue talk to you when you're carrying them, afaik?

They do.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

diamond dog posted:

It's weird, none of the POWs you rescue talk to you when you're carrying them, afaik? Besides Kaz (who might be imaginary), but they did in GZ. Mute Basilisk communicates with charades, Quiet jiggles at you, and Code Talker uses his magic pipe when speaking to you. Maybe they all know something we don't; maybe the English parasite is closer than you think?

Only Malak, Huey, the 2 intel members from mission 17, at least one of the prisoners from mission 24, the militant's XO from mission 25, the Intel team member in mission 27. That's off the top of my head, you could maybe check for some more.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
Huey might also be a special case but if those other guys speak English scratch that idea I guess. I wasn't paying attention on my playthrough, a friend only suggested this theory recently.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Kojima is loving with people. None of this poo poo is real. Why he's doing it or what it means, I don't know. But there's no doubt in my mind he reads nbgo, tents his fingers, and laughs maniacally while lightning strikes nearby.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

diamond dog posted:

Huey might also be a special case but if those other guys speak English scratch that idea I guess. I wasn't paying attention on my playthrough, a friend only suggested this theory recently.
the guy you rescue in mission uh 27 I think (the one who can crash the truck if you're not quick enough) speaks to you in English

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fargin Icehole posted:

Woulda been cool to get more tapes about the state of the world than the outrageous bullshit of an old man saying parasites are the reason man can talk.

Seeing as how there are poo poo tons of cassette tapes in this game, yeah, it was a little disappointing that there were only a few to set the stage in Africa and Afghanistan. What's there is really accurate, but the tapes talk about UNITA, MPLA, Joseph Mobutu, etc. as if the player is already familiar with them. I can get behind the fact that Venom might already be familiar with them since a lot of these players were around in the MSF days, but it would have been nice to have more of the geopolitical ramblings MGS is famous for.

I'm also really bummed that you never see any Mujaheddin aside from the occasional POW who looks like any other POW. I mean, poo poo, you already have a horse in the game. Why not have a few dudes in the standard Mujaheddin garb on horseback riding around. Some of the pre-release impressions by people who got to play the game early led me to believe that MGSV was basically MGS4's Chapter 1 + Peace Walker, which it was for the most part. But that also led me to expect more of the factional system in MGS4, which wasn't really present.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Seeing as how there are poo poo tons of cassette tapes in this game, yeah, it was a little disappointing that there were only a few to set the stage in Africa and Afghanistan. What's there is really accurate, but the tapes talk about UNITA, MPLA, Joseph Mobutu, etc. as if the player is already familiar with them. I can get behind the fact that Venom might already be familiar with them since a lot of these players were around in the MSF days, but it would have been nice to have more of the geopolitical ramblings MGS is famous for.

I'm also really bummed that you never see any Mujaheddin aside from the occasional POW who looks like any other POW. I mean, poo poo, you already have a horse in the game. Why not have a few dudes in the standard Mujaheddin garb on horseback riding around. Some of the pre-release impressions by people who got to play the game early led me to believe that MGSV was basically MGS4's Chapter 1 + Peace Walker, which it was for the most part. But that also led me to expect more of the factional system in MGS4, which wasn't really present.
The Mujaheddin faction will unlock when someone tracks down Osama bin Laden's corpse and uses his genetic sequence to unlock it, and the rest of the missing stuff in Afghanistan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used avatar customization to make Stallone yet? It would be pretty sweet if you could literally look like Rambo...

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Mine are getting incredibly sick of the first 20 seconds of take on me :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Ill give them a soviet only Afghanistan. Maybe its deep deep in soviet controlled territory. But africa is lame. Its just SA/rodisian PMCs and thats it. no SADF, no african rebels. nothing. i feel like they were trying not to pull an RE5 or they ran out of time.

On a different note. kojima did a long post about the story. https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/3q4h85/kojimas_thoughts_about_the_novelization_and_the/

So...blue balls as a narrative mechanism? I can see where he's coming from. Sort of like MGS2 I guess (Cant say goodbye to yesterday?)

Sometimes limitation breeds creativity. How did Big Boss go from Hero to Villian? What events unfolded that slowly brought him to disconnect from humanity? How does he react to finding out he has been cloned and have his genetic identity used as another pawn by the patriots/zero/null/cipher/lalelulelo/whatthefuck.
This is exactly what we were led to believe we were going to get. What did we get instead? A game with characters without personality. I mean none. The only one who actually shows any emotion or development is thrown on a boat into the ocean. No character development, there isn't even personality given to characters who originally had personality.
By comparison look at MGR and Senator Armstrong. When I first realized he was the villain, I got pissed. I thought, wow how stupid a US senator is the villain. Then after fighting through the giant spider metal gear and getting to the hand to hand combat fight, I started to realize the tension and uncover the personality behind the villain I was fighting. By the time I defeated Armstrong I realized he was one of the greatest Metal Gear villains of the series, because he had personality. None of the characters in MGSV had a tenth of the personality that even George, the little little kid in MGR had.
That was what MGSV is missing. It just had no personality, no real quirks or development or humor or flirting. It was just boring characters in a boring story. Don't get me wrong it had hard hitting moments. But they didn't hit as hard because I was just shooting names on a list when I was clearing out the quarantine. I wasn't killing personalities, nothing about them made them feel human. I didn't have an alternate decision to make. There was no torture scene where I could have saved my soldiers. I was just forced through an emotionless simulation to check boxes on a list.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 25, 2015

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How did Big Boss go from Hero to Villian? What events unfolded that slowly brought him to disconnect from humanity? How does he react to finding out he has been cloned and have his genetic identity used as another pawn by the patriots/zero/null/cipher/lalelulelo/whatthefuck.
This is exactly what we were led to believe we were going to get.

It's called Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Those redditors are entitled pricks. Woah.

• Locked thread