Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Food renders are weird and I don't get the appeal. They tend to look too shiny like fast food menu food. Cooking shows though... I could watch them for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fingertips posted:

I just finished FF6. Loved it.

Still one of the best games in the franchise! C'mon, Square.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. You're forgetting (among other things) that Gau exists. Gau alone is probably the single most absurdly broken FF character at any level.

ummmmmmm????? Lightning, hello?! FEminst postive characture, becomes god by killing the patriarchy

EDIT: Ah gently caress, somebody already used that joke, basically. ImpAtom, do you like Doomtrains?

Gologle fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 25, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

ummmmmmm????? Lightning, hello?! FEminst postive characture, becomes god by killing the patriarchy

Go home, you're drunk.

The most obviously broken character in the franchise is one Cloud Strife, who responded to getting impaled by picking up the sword and tossing his attacker aside, by the sword.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I spent a good 4 hours dodging lightning bolts and catching butterflies. gently caress FFX's celestial weapons. I hate myself.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sitchelin posted:

I spent a good 4 hours dodging lightning bolts and catching butterflies. gently caress FFX's celestial weapons. I hate myself.

Have you thought about not getting the celestial weapons?

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Just gonna throw this tip out there for people struggling with getting Lulu's celestial weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te-ihMHRtJ8

Basically for some reason the game buffers lightning when you are moving in and out of the safe zone, which forces the lightning to strike as soon as you step into the crater, making it perfectly predictable and easy to do.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
So I'm playing FFX for the first time and I'm at the first blitzball game. Is the game supposed to go to a cutscene when you use a Jecht shot that takes Tidus out or did I just get incredibly unlucky? It made me the lose the game since that would have tied it up, does winning that game matter?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it always subs wakka in yeah. you get some bonus item if you win. make sure you use tidus' jecht shot before halftime or whenever and get a buffer goal

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

EGSunBro posted:

So I'm playing FFX for the first time and I'm at the first blitzball game. Is the game supposed to go to a cutscene when you use a Jecht shot that takes Tidus out or did I just get incredibly unlucky? It made me the lose the game since that would have tied it up, does winning that game matter?

Yeah, using Jecht shot doesn't cause the cutscene, but the game clock continues to run during the ridiculously long shot animation, so you probably just ran out of time mid-shot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Toxxupation posted:

Mechanically, FF8 is by far one of the best designed FFs, only really matched by like...FF10 and 12

There's nothing "best designed" about the draw system or the junction system. They're both awful and "enemies level with you" just adds more work to balancing the game (or not, and then things can be all over the place).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

FFXV's twitter is weird:

I'd buy a Gladiolus calendar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would but only if it was 11 out of 12 months of the top Gladiolus.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

Yah those are super important and go a long way.

Debuffs are good too, they're not effective in all jrpgs but hell, there are a fair amount of Dragon Quest bosses vulnerable to the defense-down spell.

When I was young I played the fan translation of DQ V and did hella grinding, but a few months ago I picked up the DS version and beat it with zero grinding, I just had to be smart about boss battles.

I did a lot of JP grinding in DQVI because I wanted to switch one characters job for the final boss and was desperately wishing for the Bravely Default sliders.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

EGSunBro posted:

Using the Jecht shot burns a good 30 seconds so you have a very small window of opportunity to use it. The good news is that Wakka has Venom Shot, which adds some extra +SHT if you want to take another swing at the goalie. You get a Strength Sphere for winning, it gives +4 STR which is huge that early on in the game.

Andrast posted:

I did. But they're pretty gnarly so I decided to bite the bullet. I got really lucky and got 0:0.0 during my third attempt at chobo racing. The seagulls spent the entire race divebombing the trainer while I gobbled up all of the balloons. That's what motivated me to actually attempt Kimahri and Lulu's weapons since the rest of the Celestial Weapons are piss-easy to unlock.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 26, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Andrast posted:

I don't think that's possible for me

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's not really any reason to do Kimahri's celestial weapon stuff because who uses Kimahri (and if you're going for the platinum, just getting the Spirit Lance is enough. You don't need to do the terrible butterfly minigame)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Free your mind

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
why do you people keep trying to 100% these games what is wrong with you

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Does it really count as grinding if I fight every enemy along the way to the next story beat, as well as completing sidequests in the area before proceeding? I usually end up overleveled, but it's how I've always played these games....

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kirios posted:

Does it really count as grinding if I fight every enemy along the way to the next story beat, as well as completing sidequests in the area before proceeding? I usually end up overleveled, but it's how I've always played these games....

No. Grinding is the act of intentionally going out of your way to repeatedly fight encounters to raise level/stats/gold. What you're doing is playing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Playing is loving around pursuing other goals and happening to kill things on the way.

Grinding is running laps with no purpose except to fight extra enemy encounters.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
So I'm replaying FFT and something occurs to me.

All right, so the framing story is that you are listening/reading a report by Alazam Durai that goes against the official histories. This report is based on writings from his ancestor, Olan Durai.

By strange coincidence, this report says that the enemies of the Durai family, King Delita and the Church of Galbados, are really evil and manipulative, while the true hero is this random knight no one’s ever heard of that is very friendly towards Olan and his father, Orlandu. In fact, the papers claim that not only was King Delita a commoner who rose to the throne through trickery and subterfuge, but that the Church is literally controlled by demons. Literally, controlled by demons. St. Ajora was a demon too, just because.

Consider. Does this sound like an honest recounting of history…or a 400-year old hackjob aimed at discrediting Olan’s enemies? Olan had plenty of reason to go after the king and the Church, and what better way than by saying the king had no right to the throne (he even claims Ovelia wasn’t a princess!) and the powerful church was built on lies?

FFT descending into fighting demons instead of the political intrigue is just because that’s where Olan switches from slandering the king to really sticking it to the Church. And it conveniently takes this unknown knight Ramza off the stage right when he should be showing up in the official records like his brothers.

What Alazam peddles isn’t the truth he claims it is, it’s just a way to get back at the Church that killed his ancestor. He’s not a historian, he’s Ivalician Dan Brown. Don't believe his lies!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Riovanes Castle was an inside job. Normal soldiers can't crush knights like that. #truth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also there were bunny girls and lizard people before all this but they all went extinct.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Don't listen to Ondore's Durai's lies!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MarsDragon posted:

All right, so the framing story is that you are listening/reading a report by Alazam Durai that goes against the official histories. This report is based on writings from his ancestor, Olan Durai.

By strange coincidence, this report says that the enemies of the Durai family, King Delita and the Church of Galbados, are really evil and manipulative, while the true hero is this random knight no one’s ever heard of that is very friendly towards Olan and his father, Orlandu. In fact, the papers claim that not only was King Delita a commoner who rose to the throne through trickery and subterfuge, but that the Church is literally controlled by demons. Literally, controlled by demons. St. Ajora was a demon too, just because.

Consider. Does this sound like an honest recounting of history…or a 400-year old hackjob aimed at discrediting Olan’s enemies? Olan had plenty of reason to go after the king and the Church, and what better way than by saying the king had no right to the throne (he even claims Ovelia wasn’t a princess!) and the powerful church was built on lies?

FFT descending into fighting demons instead of the political intrigue is just because that’s where Olan switches from slandering the king to really sticking it to the Church. And it conveniently takes this unknown knight Ramza off the stage right when he should be showing up in the official records like his brothers.

What Alazam peddles isn’t the truth he claims it is, it’s just a way to get back at the Church that killed his ancestor. He’s not a historian, he’s Ivalician Dan Brown. Don't believe his lies!

The only lies I won't believe are Endore's. :colbert:

e;fb

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Riovanes Castle was an inside job. Normal soldiers can't crush knights like that. #truth

#elmdoredid811 #thirdworldproblems

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Schwartzcough posted:

Fire 4 can't melt Genji Gear!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Mathematicians can't Holy Chameleon Robes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

Great points. You should go play FF8. :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

There's not really any reason to do Kimahri's celestial weapon stuff because who uses Kimahri (and if you're going for the platinum, just getting the Spirit Lance is enough. You don't need to do the terrible butterfly minigame)

Kimahri is awesome. Hits like Auron (I sent him down that part of the grid), makes everyone near invincible with Mighty Guard.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sorry if I'm opening a dumb can of worms here, but is there any reason to play War of the Lions over the PSX version of Tactics?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Sorry if I'm opening a dumb can of worms here, but is there any reason to play War of the Lions over the PSX version of Tactics?

The translation in WotL is "clearer", if arguably more overwrought. Still, if you don't have any nostalgia for the awkward phrasing in vanilla, it might be the better choice. WotL has a few bonus characters, jobs, battles, equipment etc not found in vanilla. However, it makes a few high-end items much harder to obtain (or basically impossible with no multiplayer battles going on, I think). WotL removes the spell quotes that sometimes pop up in vanilla, for some reason. I believe WotL also screws with job point requirements for some skills and job unlocking (generally making them higher/more grindy, I believe).

I could be wrong about some of that stuff, but I think that's the jist of it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Raxivace posted:

* Balthier
* Animated cutscenes - presentation similar to Valkyria Chronicles
* If you really like the localization of Vagrant Story / FFXII / etc.

I enjoyed it a lot more than the original.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Schwartzcough posted:

The translation in WotL is "clearer", if arguably more overwrought.

I don't play JPRG's for non-drama. If Noctis doesn't clench his fists or grit his teeth (or both!) every hour or so then FF15 has failed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can't steal from Elmdor in the PSP version, which is legit one of the more interesting parts of the endgame.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

isk posted:

* Balthier
* Animated cutscenes - presentation similar to Valkyria Chronicles
* If you really like the localization of Vagrant Story / FFXII / etc.

I enjoyed it a lot more than the original.

Wasn't Balthier the most broken thing in WotL? I remember hearing something like him being super easily able to hit the speed cap and just be able to take multiple turns sniping people before they even get their first turn.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The original localization has charm but only in the kind of stupid way that makes you laugh as a 13 year old and smile fondly in retrospect as a 31 year old.

WotL probably could've used more comedy relief on the side to offset the super serious tone of the main story but it's the better game because it remains actually comprehensible for the full length of the game.

Black Mage Knight posted:

Wasn't Balthier the most broken thing in WotL? I remember hearing something like him being super easily able to hit the speed cap and just be able to take multiple turns sniping people before they even get their first turn.

Ramza is already broken that same way in both versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if true i honestly don't even think that would be the most broken thing, in fft