Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
something i'd like for all games with romance systems is like a checkbox or a dialogue at the start where you can say "sorry, it's not you, it's me. i'm at a point in my life where i just want to kill monsters / space monsters and not have incredibly awkward sex with any elf or alien, underage or not"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Grandmother of Five posted:

Don't cheat on Liara you son of a bitch. I thought I was inviting the HR girl (Kelly, I think) up to my room so she could borrow the shower because the captain quarters are just nice, but it turned out it was a sex thing and when I finally made up with Liara over that misundertsnading I thought i was going to have a friendly game of chess with the co-pilot or whatever she is in ME3 andI've been too afraid to turning my PS3 back on and facing Liara going on 3 years now

Traynor in 3 is a lesbian and it's comically easy to start a romance with her simply by choosing whether or not to shower with her during the chess game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Hey Kinzie, wanna gently caress?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Byzantine posted:

Hey Kinzie, wanna gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-s2MKDUpIg

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oh dope posted:

Grunt arguably had dad issues with O'Keer, and Morinth kinda sorta has dad issues with Samara (Liara/Benezia would fall under rationale too), but Asari are obviously not dads. Garrus in the first game had an issue with his father, something about pressuring him to join CSec. Wrex ended up killing his old man after double crossed by him.

Asari can be dads. Liara's father is the bartender.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Some of the most healthy, well-adjusted, sex-positive dialog ever put into a game. :golfclap:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Aphrodite posted:

Asari can be dads. Liara's father is the bartender.

I thought the Asari were the race of blue space lesbians.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite looking like hot space babes, Asari are officially monogendered so they can get it on with anybody.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Somfin posted:

Jack wears way less clothing than Miranda, and wears what she does have in a far more revealing way. But, in a lot of ways, she feels way less 'sexual' than Miranda.

That's because they actually wrote Jack to be a character with feelings rather than a buck-tooth-quilt-butt-mary sue. She has actual issues including trying to deal with her rage while Miranda prances around screaming "But what about me?!"

Bioware has always been hit or miss with their offbeat characters though. They created a trans character for dragon age 3 solely so they can painfully explain in detail about what being trans is like and all the magical options for sex change in the universe. That was the only reason that character existed. It's better than nothing but sheesh guys.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That's because they actually wrote Jack to be a character with feelings rather than a buck-tooth-quilt-butt-mary sue. She has actual issues including trying to deal with her rage while Miranda prances around screaming "But what about me?!"

Bioware has always been hit or miss with their offbeat characters though. They created a trans character for dragon age 3 solely so they can painfully explain in detail about what being trans is like and all the magical options for sex change in the universe. That was the only reason that character existed. It's better than nothing but sheesh guys.

Bet you some grognards still pitched a fit about their immersion though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Geniasis posted:

Bet you some grognards still pitched a fit about their immersion though.

IIRC if you're not cool about the trans character being trans it gives you the biggest relationship hit in the game with every character in your party, which is sort of funny in a game where you can commit genocide and that kind of thing. Some people did indeed about this hurting their immersion, but to their credit it is pretty strange.

I didn't even realize Iron Bull was trans while playing because I benched them immediately.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Didn't you do the sidequest where you found out he was abandoned as a pup by his parents because he was the runt of the litter, and he only got sick with Darkspawn blood after trying to prove his worth to his parents and fallen owner? It wasn't that bad aside from it being yet another fetch quest.

But the dog is only poisoned if you're not the rich upbringing, are you telling me your rich parents picked the run as your childhood dog?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC if you're not cool about the trans character being trans it gives you the biggest relationship hit in the game with every character in your party, which is sort of funny in a game where you can commit genocide and that kind of thing. Some people did indeed about this hurting their immersion, but to their credit it is pretty strange.

That isn't true at all, Iron Bull just reprimands you if you keep saying Krem is a girl and that's as far as it goes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

That isn't true at all, Iron Bull just reprimands you if you keep saying Krem is a girl and that's as far as it goes.

Ah, well like I said I never got into it myself. I guess I must have been thinking about some other thing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

exquisite tea posted:

A missed opportunity if I ever saw one.

"I got the magic operation because 'Iron Cow' just doesn't sound as cool."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I played the game and I don't feel it felt forced at all. I can totally see that kind of thing happening, and I'm sure it has happened in warfare and military operations. Hell, wasnt' there a story of an American trans person fooling their way through something back in like the civil war or something? I dunno, I could be wrong, but it didnt' seem out of place in that realm.

I think people were just looking for something to bitch about.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know where where people are getting magical sex changes from because unless there's something I missed I thought the point of that character is that trans characters in that setting are kinda screwed. The most they can do is change their appearance.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I played the game and I don't feel it felt forced at all. I can totally see that kind of thing happening, and I'm sure it has happened in warfare and military operations. Hell, wasnt' there a story of an American trans person fooling their way through something back in like the civil war or something? I dunno, I could be wrong, but it didnt' seem out of place in that realm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mpRLIO_5fg

I disliked it because it was the most stereotypical view of what transmen are like, all written by David Gaider who couldn't even seem to be assed to find someone to interview about it. They're trying pretty hard to be inclusive but it's still baby steps.

mycot posted:

I don't know where where people are getting magical sex changes from because unless there's something I missed I thought the point of that character is that trans characters in that setting are kinda screwed. The most they can do is change their appearance.

Blood Mages apparently can perform it but Krem outright says he doesn't want to mess with magic like that. In a world where people can cut their necks open and summon abominations a transgender person would probably be the most boring thing to them.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jastiger posted:

It was less "this character exists" and more "this character is explained to you by others turning to the camera and explaining his lifestyle in huge amounts of detail". It's always fantastic to have a wider variety of characters and identities in fiction but at times it can feel as if they're wrapped in cotton wool, and the audience treated like an idiot for not getting it. In this specific case I don't think it really helped that the rigid, everyone-has-a-set-role-and-cuts-the-tongues-off-mages society was the one which was suddenly painted as diverse and all-accepting of the LGBT spectrum.

Bioware have their heart in the right place but at times it does feel as if they're including this stuff as a way to shift more copies rather than just a way of normalizing the themes. Granted the playerbase are going to have to take their share of the blame when it comes to the fixation on romance and loving, but who you can sleep with being hyped up - and look how they're totally gay guys! - feels kinda tacky, especially when it's a fat white guy writing them and then whining about fat white guys not knowing what they're talking about in regards to criticism. :v:

Granted, Krem did come after a massive shitstorm they got into by making a transgender character the butt of a "best of both worlds" joke in the first Dragon Age, then the (later described as unintentional) punchline of another really weird joke in DA2. Being over-responsive to that is expected I guess.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Westerado is a great game with a decent sense of humor in general but for gently caress's sake referencing and quoting Doctor Who is never funny or interesting and doing it in an otherwise fairly grounded wild west setting just makes it that much more annoying.

Jastiger posted:

People complained about Ashley from Mass Effect being a bigot and then they complained that your party members in DA:I weren't bigoted enough so I think this theory checks out.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well I thought it made sense in DA:I because they were a mercenary group specifically because the Templars and regular military wouldn't have had Krem. That's why the story comes out the way it does, because they weren't accepted anywhere else.

Ashley pissed me off because she was a bigot and she still believed in Jesus. It makes me sad to think that Space Republicans were still a thing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sleeveless posted:

People complained about Ashley from Mass Effect being a bigot and then they complained that your party members in DA:I weren't bigoted enough so I think this theory checks out.

I don't think this is entirely fair - Mass Effect was a much more optimistic, overall, setting that emphasized cooperation between the races. Ashley's arc wouldn't have bugged people as much if she'd had a little more to her than "religious, hates aliens". She was really flat.

DA:I on the other hand was advertised as some sort of hardcore grimdark experience ("This Is The New poo poo!") where racism and sexism were driving themes of a few of the origins, but your party members were pretty cool, OK guys for the most part and seemed as if they'd wandered in from a different setting than the one Bioware had been on about.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Well I thought it made sense in DA:I because they were a mercenary group specifically because the Templars and regular military wouldn't have had Krem. That's why the story comes out the way it does, because they weren't accepted anywhere else.

Ashley pissed me off because she was a bigot and she still believed in Jesus. It makes me sad to think that Space Republicans were still a thing.

That was mostly because her entire family was military and her grandfather was the first person to surrender to aliens when humanity first started running into other races out in space. She spent her whole life being poo poo on by her superiors and even aliens because of that. I might be wrong but I remember her stating she was religious because looking out at the stars and the beauty of the galaxy affirmed her belief (also it helps her cope with the death of her family members/team).

Funny enough, if you choose for her to die in the first game's big choice she does so happily and finds it a huge honour to help humanity that way while Kaiden dies like a whiny baby.

And then they poo poo on her in the sequels. :sigh:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

That was mostly because her entire family was military and her grandfather was the first person to surrender to aliens when humanity first started running into other races out in space. She spent her whole life being poo poo on by her superiors and even aliens because of that. I might be wrong but I remember her stating she was religious because looking out at the stars and the beauty of the galaxy affirmed her belief (also it helps her cope with the death of her family members/team).

Funny enough, if you choose for her to die in the first game's big choice she does so happily and finds it a huge honour to help humanity that way while Kaiden dies like a whiny baby.

And then they poo poo on her in the sequels. :sigh:

Pretty much this, Ashley spent her entire life being poo poo on for her Grandfather surrendering to the Turians, he only did so because he got utterly trashed by them and wanted to save civilians from a force who were blowing up city blocks to kill a handful of soldiers hiding within, it's not surprising she has a chip on her shoulder about Alien life, when they ruined her life before she was even born.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Many of Ashley's objections to aliens were more along the lines of the Star Trek 'aliens-as-metaphors-for-nations' type deal. Like, hey this is a super advanced top secret military warship, do we really want the violent mercenary warlord aboard? or the dude whose race/nation we were literally at war with a few years ago and tensions are still high?* and so on. Like an American and a Russian teaming up during the Cold War- it could happen, but there'd be a lot of distrust and that distrust isn't because of racism.

... then she goes on to spew poo poo out like "can't tell the aliens apart from the animals" :sigh:

*ignoring that the turians helped build the normandy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jastiger posted:

Only vaguely related but Terry Pratchett wrote one of his novels, Monstrous Regiment, about a group of girls serving as soldiers pretending to be boys that touches a bit on similar themes and I thought it was really good. On the other hand I've never really been able to enjoy the bulk of Bioware's writing because it all tends to feel very self fellating rather than taking any serious interest in the subject matter. Especially when the writers shift from saying things like "She's so cute I giggle-squeed" or whatever to "No seriously guys, we're super serious about trans and gay rights now".

poptart_fairy posted:

Bioware have their heart in the right place but at times it does feel as if they're including this stuff as a way to shift more copies rather than just a way of normalizing the themes. Granted the playerbase are going to have to take their share of the blame when it comes to the fixation on romance and loving, but who you can sleep with being hyped up - and look how they're totally gay guys! - feels kinda tacky, especially when it's a fat white guy writing them and then whining about fat white guys not knowing what they're talking about in regards to criticism. :v:

Granted, Krem did come after a massive shitstorm they got into by making a transgender character the butt of a "best of both worlds" joke in the first Dragon Age, then the (later described as unintentional) punchline of another really weird joke in DA2. Being over-responsive to that is expected I guess.
This bit, basically.

Anyway! The AI in MGSV is starting to drag it down for me. There are a bunch of mission objectives to listen to conversations the NPCs have with eachother, but the scripting is so bloody sensitive that a slight breeze will make them spaz out and just skip it. Or sometimes they'll turn around and run away to begin patrolling instead of their scripted paths. Or occasionally they turn into smoke. :argh:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I actually square up the racism thing because of her history, that I get. The problem is the way they execute it in her dialogue. The fact that she saw them beneath humanity instead of enemies of humanity is what bothered me. As Shepards line in that conversation shows, most people understand WHY her grandfather had to surrender and most agreed that it was the right thing to do. The way she goes into saying that the aliens were just not up to human standards is what was stupid. They DEFEATED your grandfather. They helped build the ship. They were in space first. She sounds like a stupid conservative rear end in a top hat in the conversation.

And then yeah the religion thing took me out of the game a bit as well since..I mean its pretty clear that you're fighting aliens, malicious AI, and clearly have broken every rule that the bible said exists about the world...but no, we're going to talk about how real Jesus is on a ship floating in the darkness of space, light years away from where that myth originated, possible on through the use of unknown ancient technology, and we're going to say it with a straight face. Then we're going to talk about the best way to approach an alien planet with a monster infestation in the next breath.

Riiiiiigght.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

things dragging Bioware games down: Bioware writers continuing to write anything ever

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

things dragging Bioware games down: Bioware writers continuing to write anything ever

Same applies to bethesda. The single thing that stops me from looking forward to fallout 4 as much as I would have otherwise, is how much they've pushed back the whole free range RPG thing in favor of their story this time around. Bethesda does not write good stories. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bioware stories are actually pretty awesome at being almost perfectly paced and unfolding just enough of the plot to sustain forward momentum, unlike virtually every other RPG I play where Lord Infodump unloads 10 paragraphs of text about some boring crap and I lose interest after only a couple hours.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
It's worth pointing out that Ashley's predictions about how the Council would treat humanity were almost 100% correct: they did indeed throw humanity at the first big threat that reared its head and then ran away, thinking only of their races first.

Hell, they did that twice, between the Collectors and the Reapers.

And I remember some Bioware writer saying somewhere that her line about not being able to tell the aliens from the creatures was from an earlier version where there were alien pets on the Citadel, and said writer proceeded to post concept art of a random alien and went "Can you tell me right off the bat if this is a freighter captain or his pet?", which I think is the context the line should have stayed in.

As for you not liking her because she's a Christian, well...How dare the most pervasive religion on the face of the planet maintain some sort of grip like 30 years after our first contact with alien life? It's not like she's screaming about how the Reapers couldn't exist because the universe is only 6,000 years old, she just believes in God due to the beauty of the galaxy. What a weirdo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Religions adapt. You can sure as hell bet today wasn't something they thought possible when they wrote the Bible but they change all kinds of stuff to stay with the times.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aphrodite posted:

Religions adapt. You can sure as hell bet today wasn't something they thought possible when they wrote the Bible but they change all kinds of stuff to stay with the times.

Not nearly enough.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Yeoman Chambers. Bitch you had one job so why are all my space fish dead?!?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I tried playing Valdis Story, and I was having a pretty good time with it, but then I hit the garden area and everything went straight to hell. Most of the enemies in the garden poison you, poison is lethal (as opposed to reducing to 1HP), and poison drains MP in addition to HP, so I can't heal using magic. There's no currency: all shops work on barter systems, so if I need to buy antidotes, I have to farm loot drops.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

I tried playing Valdis Story, and I was having a pretty good time with it, but then I hit the garden area and everything went straight to hell. Most of the enemies in the garden poison you, poison is lethal (as opposed to reducing to 1HP), and poison drains MP in addition to HP, so I can't heal using magic. There's no currency: all shops work on barter systems, so if I need to buy antidotes, I have to farm loot drops.

Oh hey Valdis Story, I played that! Did you meet the boss of the gardens yet? Have fun with that. Or how about all the super easy to miss forever side quests? Also for a metroidvania style game, the platforming is frustrating because they made all of your mobility skills limited by MP and the hitstun is right up there with the classic castlevanias.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

Oh hey Valdis Story, I played that! Did you meet the boss of the gardens yet? Have fun with that. Or how about all the super easy to miss forever side quests? Also for a metroidvania style game, the platforming is frustrating because they made all of your mobility skills limited by MP and the hitstun is right up there with the classic castlevanias.

I played the boss of the gardens a couple of times before I thought to go back to the town and pickup some antidotes, then found out I didn't have enough garbage to buy antidotes and that I'd have to farm poo poo. That's when I shut the game off. Is there anyone who actually believes that farming drops is anything other than tedious busywork?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

I played the boss of the gardens a couple of times before I thought to go back to the town and pickup some antidotes, then found out I didn't have enough garbage to buy antidotes and that I'd have to farm poo poo. That's when I shut the game off. Is there anyone who actually believes that farming drops is anything other than tedious busywork?
I don't know if you care about spoilers, but the next area involves moving platforms and fire jets as well as really annoying flying enemies. Imagine a castlevania clocktower on fire. I played it for a while, realized I was starting to miss the poison shitfest and the uninstalled it. :shepicide:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Samara and Thane are the odd ones since they are the Daddy Issues. In a future RPG I'd like to see a party-member with no emotional baggage holding them back. They're loyal to you from the get-go and they just love killing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr9axb7X7E

I'm 100% certain you just described Zaeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Jobbo_Fett posted:

League of Legends...

Been looking for stuff to watch lately, and all the Starcraft 2 Expansion hype leads me back to pro tours/e-sports and enjoy some high level play. I run out quickly since its the end of the season and people are waiting for LotV to release so I eventually start checking out LoL, and oh the nostalgia of playing that game! I can't be any worse than I used to be; I install it and update everything and jump into the fray.

Holy crap, people are still anal in public pick-up games if because you're not getting every last creep, building a character exactly like the pros, wasting spells, etc.

Basically, if I'm not playing as good as some pro who's paid to play videogames professionally, I shouldn't be playing?

This is me every time I tried to pick up LoL (about 3 times). Which is a shame because I quite like MOBA style games with mates.

I actually feel I get more upset with myself for failing then my team does; but I guess that's because it's a "high pressure" environment and leaves me feeling like I ruined someone else day. Solo queue was fine (except for having to then deal with people yelling at me in game too) but it was a real problem when playing games in Skype because I would tilt off, play worse and get vocal/sweary about how bad I am and appologising non-stop for every issue rather then correctly dealing with it (i.e "gently caress this, how the gently caress am I susposed to catch up now he stole my Blue" "I'm sorry [that you got ganked mid at level 4] but I need to farm to catch up." "This would be going better if I didn't gently caress up at the start [20mins into the match]"); which inevitably just pissed the people I was playing with off. If I have a similar experience in a single player game I just reload my save so it doesn't bother me. I am actually really confused by the way I typically behaved in that scene because normally I like games that beat the poo poo out of me and force me to player smarter.

Though it also doesn't help that the friends I typically played with also, mostly, have negative reactions to failing in game. One gets hyper defensive if anyone critiques his play and becomes hard to work with; one will actually actively start blaming others and flinging poo poo around; one decides there is no point in trying and starts mucking about and 2 others were real elitists and would get pissy playing with anyone below their rank because they felt they were being dragged down.

This was all about 2 years ago when I wasn't really in a good or honestly mature head space. I think now I'm more aware of what the game is, how to accept my own mistakes and how being mad at myself in a vocal manner was annoying others I could give it another go and come away much, much better. Buuuuut I know for a fact the friends I would play with haven't changed (the first 2 guys) and the one guy I would play with isn't interested in it and I hate playing big multiplayer games along.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 08:06 on Oct 26, 2015