Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Looking for small, useful gifts in the $1-15 range for people who like building/camping/etc. Like the 6-in-1 Utility Key, safety whistles, SAM splints, waterproof matches, Sugru, and that sort of thing. Cool substances (slivers of aerogel) and stuff are fine but no horrific nerd poo poo like star wars pancake molds. Recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Big ferrorods off eBay are nice-ish. You can also find them on Amazon for a bit more ($20-30 after shipping). Speaking personally, small ferrorods are really irritating, having even a few more inches of windup make them significantly easier to use.
If you're shopping for multiple people, see if you can find a deal on a pack of 5 or something.
QuikClots are also nice. People tend to make their own first aid kits on their own, or buy a small one from the grocery store or wherever, but usually don't have something like these, which are a nice easy thing to slap on a big scrape or cut, but more likely to be useful (or usable if you don't have training) than a SAM splint.
Also the Gerber Shard is pretty neat. The tools are all pretty commonly used, and the shape of it is nice as a prybar beyond even having a main multitool like a Wave or whatever.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

martinlutherbling posted:

Looking for a super warm and weatherproof winter jacket for my girlfriend. Would like to spend $200 or so. It gets COLD here in VT, below 0 and snows/sleets a lot, so it needs to stand up to that kind of weather. Thanks!

Layer, man. I don't live in siberia or anything but when I travel to europe or america in the winter I find layers are much better than padded jackets. Padded jackets tend to get way too warm as soon as you step indoors and if its weather resistant its going to trap moisture if you're moving around a lot. Better to get a good base layer, insulating mid, and a soft or hard shell depending on the weather.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I hate layering. The coldest it gets get is a little below 40 f in the winter. I know, but that's freezing to someone from FL. Aren't there good thermal base layers? I'd like to limit my layers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Layering is a huge pain for city stuff, but your points about overheating are true as well.

I have an Arcteryx Atom LT jacket and it is just crazy warm for it's weight and bulk. It will keep you dry for like a block or so but really needs a rain coat over it. But, it will compress down to the size of a grapefruit so it is super easy to stash in your bag when you head indoors

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Pick posted:

Looking for small, useful gifts in the $1-15 range for people who like building/camping/etc. Like the 6-in-1 Utility Key, safety whistles, SAM splints, waterproof matches, Sugru, and that sort of thing. Cool substances (slivers of aerogel) and stuff are fine but no horrific nerd poo poo like star wars pancake molds. Recommendations?

You'd be surprised at how few hikers have a compass, even a tiny one on a zipper pull.

But that's kinda boring. I suggest those wrist rocket slingshots and a bunch of gumballs (So they'll degrade in nature). They're under $5 now, which is crazy because I remember the slingshots being over $20 in the 90s. You can get a bag of lovely gumballs at a dollar store. Alternatively, if you hate nature, you can get a bag of mini glow-sticks and fire them over your friends at night while they're camping and a buddy points out some "weird poo poo flying through the sky."

Plus you can arguably call it a survival tool.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A good place to buy some quality rugby shirts for the fall/winter?

I like these, but gently caress paying $100.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0155F7CSM/ref=twister_B0155EIWCI

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I am travelling from the UK to the US in January. I will be taking only hand/cabin luggage.

Recommend me luggage, sweet goons!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zachol posted:

Big ferrorods off eBay are nice-ish. You can also find them on Amazon for a bit more ($20-30 after shipping). Speaking personally, small ferrorods are really irritating, having even a few more inches of windup make them significantly easier to use.
If you're shopping for multiple people, see if you can find a deal on a pack of 5 or something.
QuikClots are also nice. People tend to make their own first aid kits on their own, or buy a small one from the grocery store or wherever, but usually don't have something like these, which are a nice easy thing to slap on a big scrape or cut, but more likely to be useful (or usable if you don't have training) than a SAM splint.
Also the Gerber Shard is pretty neat. The tools are all pretty commonly used, and the shape of it is nice as a prybar beyond even having a main multitool like a Wave or whatever.

All excellent recommendations, thanks. You're right, a large ferrorod would be a lot more satisfying and easy to use. The clotting sponge is good, and I'd seen the Shard but didn't know if it was a helpful item. Thanks!

Meatwave posted:

You'd be surprised at how few hikers have a compass, even a tiny one on a zipper pull.But that's kinda boring. I suggest those wrist rocket slingshots and a bunch of gumballs (So they'll degrade in nature). They're under $5 now, which is crazy because I remember the slingshots being over $20 in the 90s. You can get a bag of lovely gumballs at a dollar store. Alternatively, if you hate nature, you can get a bag of mini glow-sticks and fire them over your friends at night while they're camping and a buddy points out some "weird poo poo flying through the sky."

Zipper pull compass is a good idea, and I've already bought the slingshot haha. Thanks!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

colas posted:

I hate layering. The coldest it gets get is a little below 40 f in the winter. I know, but that's freezing to someone from FL. Aren't there good thermal base layers? I'd like to limit my layers.

I usually just stick with a polar fleece vest over a t-shirt in the winter until it gets into the teens (f). It's nice to have a hat though if it's windy. If you condition yourself to the cold, it's not too bad. Flannel long-sleeve shirts work pretty well too but won't work in the wind without an undershirt.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Jeherrin posted:

I am travelling from the UK to the US in January. I will be taking only hand/cabin luggage.

Recommend me luggage, sweet goons!

You'll probably get better responses in the Travel Gear thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415334

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

.Z. posted:

You'll probably get better responses in the Travel Gear thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415334

I had no idea that existed. Thank you!

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
After close to a decade working close enough to home that I've been able to eat at home every meal (and sometimes even take brief naps!) I'm movin' on up to a fantastic job with one downside- about a 45 minute commute and no nap rooms. So I ask you, my friends, given that there's a large lunch area with refrigerators and microwaves, who makes the best lunch boxes around? Is there a site around that gives good recipe recommendations for lunch-box cooking? My closed office is large and comfortable, but it's all glass and I can't just lie down on the floor in full view of everyone so I guess naps are out, so I hope the company appreciates the sacrifices I'm making.

Fake edit- lunch box does not need to be kawaii.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I use one of these for lunch:

http://amzn.to/1GX31Vb

I pack it at home in the morning around 8AM and it's still hot when I eat it at 1PM.

I also pack my snacks in these:

http://amzn.to/1Lq6u2r

Works pretty well for me.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Anyone have any experience with the knock off sonicare toothbrush heads? Like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NN...%2BL&ref=plSrch

Need some more and wouldn't mind spending way less if they're just as good as the official ones

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

burnsep posted:

After close to a decade working close enough to home that I've been able to eat at home every meal (and sometimes even take brief naps!) I'm movin' on up to a fantastic job with one downside- about a 45 minute commute and no nap rooms. So I ask you, my friends, given that there's a large lunch area with refrigerators and microwaves, who makes the best lunch boxes around? Is there a site around that gives good recipe recommendations for lunch-box cooking? My closed office is large and comfortable, but it's all glass and I can't just lie down on the floor in full view of everyone so I guess naps are out, so I hope the company appreciates the sacrifices I'm making.

Fake edit- lunch box does not need to be kawaii.

I'm partial to these things: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011SUKOHE

I like being able to meal prep once or twice a week and have a bunch of lunches ready to pull out. They're microwaveable with the lid on so I don't have to find something to cover the food like I do with my glass lock containers. I also like that I can keep foods separated without resorting to multiple containers. And if I need another compartment a larger 3 compartment version is made.

Biggest downside to these things is that they aren't air-tight. Liquid can and will seep out if they aren't being stored flat.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

CraigSlice posted:

Anyone have any experience with the knock off sonicare toothbrush heads? Like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NN...%2BL&ref=plSrch

Need some more and wouldn't mind spending way less if they're just as good as the official ones

I buy these. They are just as good when new, but wear out quicker. You'll still come out way ahead.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jewce posted:

The best mattress site I know is https://www.themattressunderground.com Phoenix is the real deal and will teach you all you need to know about finding the right mattress for you.

No doubt, Phoenix seems to know his stuff. But I don't have a week to read through the entire page/forum. How do I best determine the right mattress for me within 30 minutes without trying out a bunch of mattresses. So far, I know what size and what firmness I want. How is a Saatva spring mattress different from a DreamFoam memory foam mattress? Well, I know how they differ, but I would like to know how to figure out if one is better for me than the other.

Thanks.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Broadly speaking, it looks like the main tradeoffs between latex, memory foam, and spring mattresses is that latex is expensive, memory foam is hot (and clingy?) and spring mattresses are heavy and lovely to deal with. A thick latex pad is going to be $1000+ but seems to be pretty universally loved and probably what I'd get if I had the money. Cheaper pads are going to be made out of poly foam with a latex or memory foam top layer.
Ikea makes cheaper thinner pads that are an okay value but wear out within 3-4 years.

I've been researching mattresses for like two weeks now and everything I'm reading tells me to not get a spring mattress. I'm having a hard time articulating why, it's more just that they always look unfavorable in comparison.
If you want more hug (like for side sleeping), get memory foam on top. If you want a more even and firm surface, get a latex top. After that, it's a question of base layers and price. Brands are difficult, it seems like you should more have a design in mind in terms of layer and type and then find a local place that'll sell you an off-brand mattress.

If you need a mattress now I'd get an Ikea mattress for cheap with the intention of replacing it within two or three years (or even less, maybe), and spend that time researching mattresses and tracking down a deal.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I cannot dedicate two weeks of my time into researching mattresses. All that matters is comfort and support and those things cannot be measured. I had a quick look at this as it seemed unbiased enough. What would I be doing wrong if I were to pull the trigger on this?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Nothing that I can see immediately. One of the reviews says that they were able to return it within 90 days with a $100 fee. That's a fairly standard price for a thicker latex mattress.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

theHUNGERian posted:

I cannot dedicate two weeks of my time into researching mattresses. All that matters is comfort and support and those things cannot be measured. I had a quick look at this as it seemed unbiased enough. What would I be doing wrong if I were to pull the trigger on this?

I would recommend Tuft and Needle.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Latex mattresses are great and I have been completely thrilled with mine but it retains heat more than any other material. That's been great in winter, and not bothersome in summer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jesus dudes Casper and that other company have a hassle free 90 day trial or whatever the gently caress I mean you can't go wrong. Everyone is different (surprise surprise) and reading reviews and walking around pressing your palm into mattresses isn't gauging much other than whether it's complete poo poo or not

(I have a Casper, it's nice)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Jesus dudes Casper and that other company have a hassle free 90 day trial or whatever the gently caress I mean you can't go wrong. Everyone is different (surprise surprise) and reading reviews and walking around pressing your palm into mattresses isn't gauging much other than whether it's complete poo poo or not

(I have a Casper, it's nice)

Some companies (not Casper) want a $100 return shipping fee, others (not Casper) prorate their warranty. Even people who hate the Tuft and Needle mattress agree that returning the product is straightforward: Donate it, and you get your money back. This has to be the most genius idea ever.

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I can take it from here, and I'll report back once it's broken in.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I have a 16" latex mattress and I love it. It has 3 layers that are different levels of softness (extra firm / firm / medium), so you can switch them out to get the perfect feel. You probably won't go wrong with the one you linked, the only way you could do better is to get a taller one with more layers which will offer more support and flexibility. I would also check to see which type of latex you're getting, because there are some differences.

Mine is from Foam Sweet Foam (now called Urban Green Mattress apparently). They usually run about $3k for a queen but if you contact them, they have ones that were returned that they will sell for around half price, which is what I did. Latex mattresses are supposed to last upwards of 30 years. I have been so happy with mine, it's like sleeping on a cloud. I still think 100% latex is the way to go if you can afford it, but the memory foam / latex blends like Casper are probably the next best choice if you can't spring for a full latex mattress.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Where should I look if I want a memory foam mattress pad and not a full mattress? I want something that will make my boyfriend's lovely ikea mattress comfortable, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money because once we move to a bigger place in a year or two, we're going to get a bigger bed anyway.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

dead lettuce posted:

I have a 16" latex mattress and I love it. It has 3 layers that are different levels of softness (extra firm / firm / medium), so you can switch them out to get the perfect feel. You probably won't go wrong with the one you linked, the only way you could do better is to get a taller one with more layers which will offer more support and flexibility. I would also check to see which type of latex you're getting, because there are some differences.

Mine is from Foam Sweet Foam (now called Urban Green Mattress apparently). They usually run about $3k for a queen but if you contact them, they have ones that were returned that they will sell for around half price, which is what I did. Latex mattresses are supposed to last upwards of 30 years. I have been so happy with mine, it's like sleeping on a cloud. I still think 100% latex is the way to go if you can afford it, but the memory foam / latex blends like Casper are probably the next best choice if you can't spring for a full latex mattress.

I ended up following this recommendation.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
Maybe I should ask the running thread, but I'll start by asking this thread.

I'm in the market for running shoes.

I run about every other day for about 30 - 60 minutes. Interval work mostly as I'm not good at running.

I have bad knees and I'm about 15 pounds overweight.

I run half of the time on a treadmill, half of the time in a park on pavement. Now that it's getting colder, I imagine moving that up to all treadmill until March.

My budget is in the $100 - $150 range.

My old shoes are Mizuno Wave Creations. They look stupid but they were always very comfortable on my feet, felt good on my knees, and when I first got them they made me feel like I could run a bit faster due to the angle of the sole.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Scott Justice has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Oct 25, 2015

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Me again.

Looking for a recommendation for a chair. I will use this chair for PC work and for watching TV, so it should be comfortable and ergonomic. While I do have a desk, I like to use my keyboard in my lap and have the mouse on the armrest. Ideally, this new chair would allow me to continue this practice.

Thanks.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

theHUNGERian posted:

Me again.

Looking for a recommendation for a chair. I will use this chair for PC work and for watching TV, so it should be comfortable and ergonomic. While I do have a desk, I like to use my keyboard in my lap and have the mouse on the armrest. Ideally, this new chair would allow me to continue this practice.

Thanks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Scott Justice posted:

I run about every other day for about 30 - 60 minutes. Interval work mostly as I'm not good at running.

I run half of the time on a treadmill, half of the time in a park on pavement. Now that it's getting colder, I imagine moving that up to all treadmill until March.

My old shoes are Mizuno Wave Creations. They look stupid but they were always very comfortable on my feet, felt good on my knees, and when I first got them they made me feel like I could run a bit faster due to the angle of the sole.

Ask in running thread. But they will tell you to go to a proper running store (not Footlocker) to get properly fitted as depending on your stride, certain shoes are better for you than others.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Scott Justice posted:

If you've run in a pair of shoes before and they don't cause you any problems, then get those shoes again and forever. If you don't like your own shoes, then Asics and Brooks are the two big companies for running shoes, but like others have said, matching the type of shoe you buy to the type of stride you have is key. The should be able to help you out at a running store. Regardless, you probably want to replace your shoes every so many miles, think anywhere from 6 months to a year. I ran track in college and got new ones every season, but that might be a bigger workload then you have.

Aside from shoes, running on pavement and treadmills isn't really doing any favors to your bad knees. You can try cross training, like doing other things every other day you plan on working out. Some similar exercises might be using the elliptical machine or swimming instead of the treadmill. You can also try running on some trails outside when it warms up again, which is easier on your joints than pavement, and you get to see pretty trees. Though if you have weak ankles too then trail running probably isn't for you.

edit: also if you get the year model older that whatever is new if possible. The shoes never really change, so instead of getting the 2015 brooks runreallyfasts get the 2014 brooks runreallyfasts.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Be warned, this thread is where money goes to die.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

Be warned, this thread is where money goes to die.

I know. I had seen it earlier this year and I even considered getting an Aeron. What I don't like about typical computer chairs is that I cannot use my mouse on their arm rest. But perhaps using the arm rest for the mouse is not very ergonomic.(?) I'm afraid to ask that question in the computer chair thread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

I know. I had seen it earlier this year and I even considered getting an Aeron. What I don't like about typical computer chairs is that I cannot use my mouse on their arm rest. But perhaps using the arm rest for the mouse is not very ergonomic.(?) I'm afraid to ask that question in the computer chair thread.

I more or less believe that if you find yourself doing something p differently then most people, maybe 1-3% of the time you are a genius, the rest of the time, you are a twat.

To be helpful, my grandmother used to have this tv tray type deal on a stand that she would use to do needlepoint on while chilling in her lazyboy. It was maybe big enough to hold a laptop and was super adjustable. GIS is failing me but you could look at freestanding laptop trays to see if you can find something that might work.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bunnielab posted:

I more or less believe that if you find yourself doing something p differently then most people, maybe 1-3% of the time you are a genius, the rest of the time, you are a twat.

To be helpful, my grandmother used to have this tv tray type deal on a stand that she would use to do needlepoint on while chilling in her lazyboy. It was maybe big enough to hold a laptop and was super adjustable. GIS is failing me but you could look at freestanding laptop trays to see if you can find something that might work.

Yeah, I realize that what I am doing is most likely stupid. It's just that desk space and finances were limited at the time, hence my ghetto solution. But I don't even need a tray of any sort. My laptop is on the desk, the wireless keyboard on my lap, the wireless mouse on the arm rest*, and a big external monitor about 6 feet away (also on the desk). The chair is a little low (when seated, my knees are 2" higher than my hip), so my keyboard never falls off my lap. I actually like the setup as I enjoy sitting a bit farther away from the screen, but the chair is not very comfortable anymore hence my search for a chair. A typical computer chair (including the Aeron) would force me to move the keyboard and mouse back to the desk and I would sit closer to my monitor.

* this is an uneven surface, but as a non-gamer, I don't care.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Chinaman7000 posted:

My Casper comes in today and I'm gonna personally burn the Internet down if this hip cool company's magic product doesn't solve all my issues. I'm pretty excited, I tried an IKEA latex mattress and was ok with it, hope his will be better.

Please everyone, tell me every fine minutia detail of your hopefully heavenly new bed experience. I work a butt hosed shift schedule that puts sleep at a premium. Right now, I'm looking for all the advice I can get, especially as regards Casper (cause I'm poor).

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

For Casper and well any new bed all I'll say is wait at least 2-3 weeks before you formulate an opinion

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Apparently I posted that on the 16th, and I can say today I love it. My wife likes firm mattresses (literally a wooden plank), I like cushy with support (I had a thick rear end pillow top innerspring) and it's been tough shopping around. We are both cautiously happy. Our favorite quality is that one of us can turn around without waking the other. She is worried and feels the edges are less supportive than the center, but I don't notice it, and I end up sleeping on the edge a bunch.

Latex or latex hybrid is the way to go no matter what, imo. I can't compare against the other brands, but we are probably staying with the Casper. The only other bed I was considering was some $3000 Beautyrest Hybrid Extreme bullshit, and I'm really happy we didn't do that. gently caress mattress retailer prices and salesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Please everyone, tell me every fine minutia detail of your hopefully heavenly new bed experience. I work a butt hosed shift schedule that puts sleep at a premium. Right now, I'm looking for all the advice I can get, especially as regards Casper (cause I'm poor).

My Leesa is arriving on Monday, and I'll report back once it's broken in.