Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Paracetamol posted:

I think the idea is that the overall benefit (reduced CO2 emissions, general health benefits) of getting more people to cycle outweighs the cost of care from increased numbers of TBIs from cycling accidents.

People really should just wear helmets though. I don't understand why some people lack self-preservation awareness. I commute 20 km a day via bike and I have crashed at speed - luckily my knee took the brunt of the fall and my helmet was unscathed, but still it's scary. I was laughed at by a friend when I went skiing for the first time and I wore a helmet, "You don't need a helmet, it's snow". The helmet more than paid for itself when on my third stack I hit my head hard enough to make me want to sit down for half an hour to stop my head spinning.

What if you spent 15 minutes doing your hair, should you still wear a helmet then? Seems to me looking good should come before surviving till the end of the day / week / month.

edit: hairmet snype

Birb Katter fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
5th of December is when we get our new Hockey, what an exciting time to be alive.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

tithin posted:

Who did you piss off with that post?

Like seriously, this is the most innocuous post "hey, bike helmets saved my life"

"OH YEAH? I'LL FUCKEN SHOW HIM"

bike helmets saved my life on two occasions
maybe more as I was an avid junior bmx rider.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Birb Katter posted:

What if you spent 15 minutes doing your hair, should you still wear a helmet then? Seems to me looking good should come before surviving till the end of the day / week / month.

edit: hairmet snype

Cycling works in cities like Copenhagen because it's the cheapest, quickest and most convenient way to get around. You can call people whiners or whatever, but the reality is that for a lot of people a helmet is a huge inconvenience and a barrier to cycling.

When riding an upright style bike, at slow speeds, on proper infrastructure, the risk is pretty minimal. Again I'm going to use the Copenhagen example, where everyone rides a bike and manages to not die. It's incredibly safe, and the roads get safer each time a car is replaced with a bike.

Australia is one of the fattest and most carbon polluting countries in the entire world.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lid posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...6-1227581620193

It has taken a month but Andrew Bolt has now decided that Malcolm Turnbull is Chairman Mao and we need back Abbott.

solution : stop listening to Andrew Bolt and, like Darren Hinch, he will eventually lose his media spot.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Cycling works in cities like Copenhagen because it's the cheapest, quickest and most convenient way to get around. You can call people whiners or whatever, but the reality is that for a lot of people a helmet is a huge inconvenience and a barrier to cycling.

When riding an upright style bike, at slow speeds, on proper infrastructure, the risk is pretty minimal. Again I'm going to use the Copenhagen example, where everyone rides a bike and manages to not die. It's incredibly safe, and the roads get safer each time a car is replaced with a bike.

Australia is one of the fattest and most carbon polluting countries in the entire world.

it also has terrible urban sprawl and some of the longest average commutes in the southern hemisphere. if it takes me 40 mins to drive to work via freeways, im not going to ride a bicycle.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

If people who could ride to work did, maybe it wouldn't take you 40 minutes to drive.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Do you all ride a bike wearing a diving bell or something? As someone who does ride to work three days a week, why are you finding having a helmet such an inconvenience?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Kommando posted:

it also has terrible urban sprawl and some of the longest average commutes in the southern hemisphere. if it takes me 40 mins to drive to work via freeways, im not going to ride a bicycle.

Nobody is arguing that everyone should be forced to commute to work on a bike.

If more people in the inner suburbs commute on a bike though, things get less congested on the roads for long distance commuters, and tradespeople who need to carry tools and equipment etc.

Bicycle infrastructure can be integrated into the public transport network too, making it easier to ride to the local train station and lock up your bike there.

There's also the possibility to replace cars and taxis for short trips via bike share schemes like they have in New York, Paris, and Montreal. Something which is really hard to do with mandatory helmet laws.

Scrapping mandatory helmet laws and investing a little in cycling infrastructure is taking gently caress all away from motorists and people who rely on their cars. I'm not sure why they always get so defensive about it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

open24hours posted:

If people who could ride to work did, maybe it wouldn't take you 40 minutes to drive.

It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work going 100 the whole way with no traffic normally so I don't think anyone else riding a bike would make a difference, really.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Mad Katter posted:

If more people in the inner suburbs commute on a bike though, things get less congested on the roads for long distance commuters, and tradespeople who need to carry tools and equipment etc.

Bicycle infrastructure can be integrated into the public transport network too, making it easier to ride to the local train station and lock up your bike there.

There's also the possibility to replace cars and taxis for short trips via bike share schemes like they have in New York, Paris, and Montreal. Something which is really hard to do with mandatory helmet laws.

Scrapping mandatory helmet laws and investing a little in cycling infrastructure is taking gently caress all away from motorists and people who rely on their cars. I'm not sure why they always get so defensive about it.

They're coming to take my car!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

How much mercury does one have to drink to believe that helmet laws are behind a significant fraction of cycling's ills

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Mad Katter posted:

I don't really understand why some motorists get so whiny about this. I commute via car most of the time and I like having dedicated lanes for bikes and buses because it means no one is suddenly pulling out in front of me.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

open24hours posted:

only about 15 of those minutes are in traffic. I live northside and work south side. work moved further south two years ago, and I've been trying to get a job on the north side but science in qld doesn't have a lot of choices.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Kommando posted:

only about 15 of those minutes are in traffic. I live northside and work south side. work moved further south two years ago, and I've been trying to get a job on the north side but science in qldaustralia doesn't have a lot of choices.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

iajanus posted:

It takes me 35 minutes to drive to work going 100 the whole way with no traffic normally so I don't think anyone else riding a bike would make a difference, really.

yo, there's 5 days left in this month, when and where is goonmeet?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
During the seventies oil crisis the Dutch and Danish governments made conscious decisions to encourage cycling by altering their cities to make them bike friendly. Australia has done nothing of the kind. While actual accident information says helmets reduce harm by 16% then they should be worn. The Jia Cooper mentioned in that article is well known to me and is a raving idiot. Doesn't mean his opinion is wrong but makes me suspicious there wasn't anybody more suitable to quote. Cycling rates were declining steeply in Australia before the mandatory helmet laws. I have posted extensive factual information on this before. Anti helmet law people are like antivaxxers.

Sorry more Arsetralian. They're the only mob who would publish this drivel unironically.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/treasury/open-up-economy-or-suffer-for-years-says-ian-harper/story-fn59nsif-1227581917007

quote:

Open up economy or suffer for years, says Ian Harper THE AUSTRALIANOCTOBER 26, 2015 12:00AM Joe Kelly Political reporter Canberra

Competition expert Professor Ian Harper in Melbourne. Picture: David Geraghty

Competition tsar Ian Harper is urging Malcolm Turnbull to act swiftly to prevent Australia’s productivity growth stagnating, warning that the government needs to recapture the reforming mentality of the 1990s in order to head off a long-term decline in living standards. Professor Harper, the architect of the most sweeping review of competition policy in two decades, is promoting the 56 recommendations in his report as central to achieving the Prime Minister’s vision of unleashing a new wave of entrepreneurialism. He said there should be greater competition and contestability in the delivery of public schools and hospitals — a strategy that has been embraced by Scott Morrison. The Abbott government received the review in March but struggled with its response, fin­ally shelving indefinitely its ­recommendations for strengthening abuse-of-market-power provisions.

The Prime Minister and the Treasurer both see strengthening competition as the key to lifting innovation and productivity, with Mr Turnbull recently saying “the more competition, the more power you give to the individual, to the consumer.” In an interview with The Australian, Professor Harper warned that the task would prove politically difficult and require a new institutional framework to engage the states, but he has pointed to the Hilmer review of competition policy in the early 1990s as evidence that Australia had “done this before.” Welcoming the new-look ­Coalition government, Professor Harper said Mr Turnbull had the understanding and background to successfully pilot reform and welcomed the elevation of competition policy from small business to the Treasury portfolio held by Mr Morrison. “I hope we would hear back from the government before Christmas so we finish the year with a clearer view of what the New Year agenda looks like,” he said. “Australia’s productivity challenge is not going away and policy responses on this area take time to formulate and even more time to implement,” he told The Australian. “ Then there’s more time before we see results in terms of productivity benefits. In short, the sooner we can make a serious start on the competition agenda, the better for Australia.”

Setting out the imperative for change, Professor Harper warned that Australia’s productivity challenge would constrict income growth and drive debt accumulation in coming decades. The Treasurer has taken personal charge of the competition reforms and has already had extensive briefings from Professor Harper. He presented Professor Harper’s call for reform of the delivery of human services, opening them up to more choice for consumers, in his first meeting with state and territory ministers and has marked this as one of the government’s early achievements. Professor Harper said productivity growth risked stagnating to 1 per cent per annum. (What the gently caress!? Stagnating at a solid 1% inflator. Wipe the drool off your shoes dipshit that's straight up embarassing)

The government needed to recapture the reforming mentality that saw productivity growth running at well over 2 per cent per annum in the 1990s, he said. “Our income isn’t going to grow as fast as we’ve been used to,” he said. “People are going to discover they can’t enjoy the same lifestyles. They will start ­accumulating debt. Wages growth is already historically slow. Yields on investments are historically slow … The answer is to drive productivity growth.” While some key changes, including removing parallel import restrictions, could be achieved at the “stroke of a pen,” Professor Harper said the review’s major reform to shake up delivery of human services would require agreement of states.

[b ]Throwing open the management of public schools and hospitals to greater contestability by service providers would require strong federal government ­leadership and the possible ­creation of a new body to drive forward competition policy. “It involves what’s called commissioning. This is not a privatisation agenda,” he said. “We already have private schools and hospitals. I am talking about improving the productivity of the public sector.[/b] “We need leadership for this to occur, because any change involves disruption … People are frightened by things they don’t understand and, yes, there will be a lot of change involved in this but on the other side of this process there are higher living standards, better schools, better hospitals (and) more money to spend on the environment.” Professor Harper said Mr Turnbull was uniquely placed to embrace his review, given the Prime Minister’s business background and enthusiasm to harness the disruptive potential of new ­innovations. “The thing about Malcolm is that he gets the innovation disruption story partly because of his investment banking heritage,” he said.:psyduck: ( Investment bankers the great innovating disruptors - An economist in 2015.)

Mr Turnbull has indicated he wants the states to be part of the discussion on reform, telling The Weekend Australian that “everybody has got to play a part’’ in the next wave of productivity ­improvements. “The Australian and The Australian Financial Review organised a summit and that was a very good thing to do and one of the things to come out of the subsequent discussion was that the states have got to be part of this, and it’s not just state taxes but how the states spend their money,” Mr Turnbull said. “It’s always easier to ask for more money. There is a tendency with public services not to examine their own efficiency. There are powerful arguments that in our next wave of productivity, everybody has got to play a part.”

NSW Treasurer Gladys Berejiklian said the state was committed to further reforms to increase the attractiveness of NSW as a “place (in which) to live, work and do business. We would welcome the introduction of competition payments. Any improvements in competition by the states would result in a boost in revenue for the commonwealth so it makes sense for the federal government to incentivise further competition reforms through payments. Competition payments would also help share the economic growth revenue benefits from competition reforms that largely accrue to the commonwealth government,’’ she said. “Our first priority remains ­addressing the looming fiscal gap faced by all states and the commonwealth over the next 20 years as a result of our growing health funding needs. NSW will continue to argue for the GST rate to be increased to 15 per cent with compensation for households with incomes of $100,000 or less.”

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas said: ‘The states require certainty of funding, especially given the increasing funding fiscal gap created by the last two commonwealth budgets. We look forward to seeing the federal government’s views arising out of Harper and will consider them in due course.”

Professor Harper said Mr Morrison’s carriage of competition policy would also help free the review from perceptions it was about small versus big business instead of being about unlocking growth across the economy. He described the new Treasurer as “very committed” to pursuing reform and welcomed Mr Morrison’s meeting with his state counterparts earlier this month in which his review of competition policy was given a new urgency. Professor Harper sees his planned overhaul to human services as the new frontier in competition policy and says his 56 recommendations, as a whole, could unlock additional economic growth of up to 2.5 per cent of GDP over the coming decade.

http://competitionpolicyreview.gov.au/files/2015/03/Competition-policy-review-report_online.pdf

500 pages of unintentional comedy.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Vladimir Poutine posted:

I don't really understand why some motorists get so whiny about this. I commute via car most of the time and I like having dedicated lanes for bikes and buses because it means no one is suddenly pulling out in front of me.

People don't like having to be conscientious of others.

Competition is magic~

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 26, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Kommando posted:

yo, there's 5 days left in this month, when and where is goonmeet?

I've been travelling for work so haven't had any time to do any thinking about anything other than sleeping. I'm at PAX this weekend as well so I don't know, maybe someone else should organise it as clearly I'm terrible at this side of the arrangement.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Cartoon posted:

During the seventies oil crisis the Dutch and Danish governments made conscious decisions to encourage cycling by altering their cities to make them bike friendly. Australia has done nothing of the kind. While actual accident information says helmets reduce harm by 16% then they should be worn. The Jia Cooper mentioned in that article is well known to me and is a raving idiot. Doesn't mean his opinion is wrong but makes me suspicious there wasn't anybody more suitable to quote. Cycling rates were declining steeply in Australia before the mandatory helmet laws. I have posted extensive factual information on this before. Anti helmet law people are like antivaxxers.

Sorry more Arsetralian. They're the only mob who would publish this drivel unironically.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/treasury/open-up-economy-or-suffer-for-years-says-ian-harper/story-fn59nsif-1227581917007

http://competitionpolicyreview.gov.au/files/2015/03/Competition-policy-review-report_online.pdf

500 pages of unintentional comedy.

I'm curious, does the latter graph include gains being returned back to superannuation funds?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

katlington posted:

People don't like having to be conscientious of others.

and justify their bad behaviour as reasonable.

I dont think bicycle helmets should be mandatory, but like motorcycle jackets (pants gloves etc) they are a good idea if you're wanting to keep your skin on you.

I would really like to be able to bicycle to work and wish we had an efficient and effective mass rapid transit system.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I would love to bike to work but I am completely uncoordinated and cycling on the Gateway and M1 is just insane on the face of it (and illegal, I assume).

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

iajanus posted:

I've been travelling for work so haven't had any time to do any thinking about anything other than sleeping. I'm at PAX this weekend as well so I don't know, maybe someone else should organise it as clearly I'm terrible at this side of the arrangement.

:jerry: what's the deal with goons and organisational skills?

Thursday night.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Les Affaires posted:

I'm curious, does the latter graph include gains being returned back to superannuation funds?
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/5204.0~2013-14~Main+Features~Related+National+Accounts+Products?OpenDocument

definitions posted:

Weekly ordinary time earnings refers to one week's earnings of employees for the reference period, attributable to award, standard or agreed hours of work. It is calculated before taxation and any other deductions (e.g. superannuation, board and lodging) have been made.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

iajanus posted:

That's great. Not being sarcastic here.

But while this works well for you, it's important to recognise that traffic congestion is an enormous issue for cities and the people who are stuck commuting through it.

The alternative to having a diverse mix of transport options is committing to cars and building poo poo like the east west link.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

short notice.

all welcome.

it will be in the Fish lane Bistro attached to the fox hotel

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 26, 2015

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Mad Katter posted:

That's great. Not being sarcastic here.

But while this works well for you, it's important to recognise that traffic congestion is an enormous issue for cities and the people who are stuck commuting through it.

The alternative to having a diverse mix of transport options is committing to cars and building poo poo like the east west link.

Oh I heartily agree and miss living in Sydney where I would catch public transport to work every day and laugh at everyone stuck in their cars on the M2. Getting everyone out of their cars via a good public transport network is vital. I've tried catching it here but it took me 1.5 hours to get home :(. Stupid radial train network.

Can't come to Goonmeet as I'm flying to Melbourne that night :(.

e: hahaha just checked Google and biking home would take 2.5 hours. loving Brisbane...

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
If you use the welfare state as justification for denying an injured person medical care you are a massive poo poo

"I pay taxes therefore i can tell other people what to do" is not something a good person says

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

short notice.

all welcome.

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

Also comparing places in Australia to Copenhagen or New York is poo poo because we don't have that population density. I live in Perth. Even places that "aren't far" from the city are 20+km away. Having to wear a helmet isn't what stops people loving commuting by bicycle. lovely bicycle infrastructure and immense distances are.

I once had a race from my university to my home against one of my friends (who lived very near me), I cycled and he took public transport. He beat me there by 5 minutes. It was ~30km. Total travel time ~ 1 hr 30 mins. Helmet laws don't fix poo poo like that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Comparing places like Perth to places like Amsterdam is exactly what we should be doing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kommando posted:

short notice.

all welcome.

hahahaha

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Perth is actually OK if you don't live in a mcmansion in buttfuck nowhere.

I lived in Subiaco, studied at UWA and worked in the city, so my trip distances were about 4km with cycle paths.

if you hate yourself and actively want to live in suburbia for some reason, you will have to choose somewhere near a rail corridor.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

Comparing places like Perth to places like Amsterdam is exactly what we should be doing.

Yep.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Lots of people already ride around without a helmet so the expected sudden increase if that behaviour was legalised probably won't happen

See also: marijuana

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Negligent posted:

A shame this comprises 95% of the city

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Negligent posted:

I lived in Subiaco, studied at UWA and worked in the city, so my trip distances were about 4km with cycle paths.

if you hate yourself and actively want to live in suburbia for some reason, you will have to choose somewhere near a rail corridor.

This explains more about you than the last 40 pages of arrogant shitposting combined.

There are multiple structural problems affecting even those of us who've actively tried to make public transport available to themselves in this city. Saying "Pft just live in the western suburbs PLEB" doesn't help anyone, and mostly just affirms to those of us who already had you written off as a FYGM rear end in a top hat how right we were.

For context, I live in suburbia, on a rail corridor, and it still takes me an hour to commute, because my place of work is not. Sometimes it takes me longer to get home because I have to take a train that only goes half way to my stop because the one that goes to the end of the line doesn't have enough cars, and is literally full by the time it arrives at the stop I get on at, which is the first stop after the main hub (Esplanade). Driving is only slightly faster because our major southern freeway is 2 lanes for most of its northward distance, and most people living south of the river need to use it, as there aren't many stops on the Mandurah line.

But living closer isn't necessarily a solution either. When I lived in Maylands last year, it took me 50 minutes to make it~ 10km to the busport, due to the fact that the only bus route within walking distance had to cater for most of the suburb, and half of East Perth / Northbridge. Driving took 20 agonisingly frustrating minutes through the esplanade itself, but even so that's 30 extra minutes of sleep in a day so that was generally the option my neighbours and I took. Uber wasn't really a thing then but I don't think it's a sustainable solution either.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

freebooter posted:

:smith:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Choosing to live somewhere with density and reasonable distances between the places you want to go isn't elitism, it's being part of the change you want to see by rejecting suburbia and urban sprawl.

Australians look at the price of a mcmansion located a freeway drive from anywhere and say yep I'll have that, rather than changing their lifestyle to be more energy and space efficient.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'm about to move to Scarborough, and to get to my job will take me 1:30 on public transport, or 25 minutes if I drive.

Also somewhat topical

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-25/wa-government-considers-shelving-plan-for-new-perth-railcars/6883180

Why anyone believed any promises to improve public transport is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Negligent posted:

Choosing to live somewhere with density and reasonable distances between the places you want to go isn't elitism, it's being part of the change you want to see by rejecting suburbia and urban sprawl.
Buy a one bedroomer for 750k - Gandhi

• Locked thread