Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We have 5 lines, 2 ULD & 3 w/ 2gb data allotments. We're on the NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700 plan that we've been on for years. Does anybody know if with the added $20 a month on the ULDs I can finally get our capped lines into a better plan so my son can use the full 6gb they have since my mother in law and father in law only use <150mb a month? Up to now they haven't been able to change the plan without loving our ULDs. I use 20-25gb a month loving around at work, so I'm pretty committed to keeping ULD. Both my wife & my accounts have upgrades/new contracts available now, so I'm going to jump on those (transfer to other account trick) and hopefully lock us in for the next 2 years at $30 for the data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The whole point of the price increase is to move people onto the newer plans, not also provide a better value for the capped lines on an unlimited account. Hope this helps.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

We have 5 lines, 2 ULD & 3 w/ 2gb data allotments. We're on the NATIONWIDE TLK&TXT SHARE 700 plan that we've been on for years. Does anybody know if with the added $20 a month on the ULDs I can finally get our capped lines into a better plan so my son can use the full 6gb they have since my mother in law and father in law only use <150mb a month? Up to now they haven't been able to change the plan without loving our ULDs. I use 20-25gb a month loving around at work, so I'm pretty committed to keeping ULD. Both my wife & my accounts have upgrades/new contracts available now, so I'm going to jump on those (transfer to other account trick) and hopefully lock us in for the next 2 years at $30 for the data.

You can technically have two different family plans, but having two on the nation plan with unlimited and the rest on a shared plan would be way more expensive than just buying your son a higher individual data plan because it creates two base family plans.

Basically, because they're different plans you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
What do people think of the Droid Turbo 2 leaks? Worth waiting for if I'm out of contract now? Also, how likely is that release to push down the prices of other phones?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kim Jong Il posted:

What do people think of the Droid Turbo 2 leaks? Worth waiting for if I'm out of contract now? Also, how likely is that release to push down the prices of other phones?

Seems cool, as long as your OK with being behind on updates since it's a Verizon branded device. Droid devices also usually don't drive down the price of other phones since the only Android devices general population cares about are Samsung Galaxy phones.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Kim Jong Il posted:

Any reason why you're not considering one of the Nexus phones? If your reason is so you can get device payments, then Huawei offers that if you order directly from them.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 25, 2015

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The Droid Turbo 2 looks really cool and I'm probably gonna edge up to it. I'm not super concerned with how quick I get new updates, more about the solid build of the phone now that I don't sell them anymore and keep them longer than 6 months.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
More interested in the Moto X Force whenever that drops, I'm having a hell of a time coming from Nexus devices on GSM carriers to locked down devices on Verizon.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The Turbo 2 is just a rebranded X Force.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

The Turbo 2 is just a rebranded X Force.
For the most part yes, and with added Verizon fuckery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That gigantic check mark on the front bezel would be enough to keep me from buying the turbo. It's hideous and it isn't even their current logo.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

SeaborneClink posted:

More interested in the Moto X Force whenever that drops, I'm having a hell of a time coming from Nexus devices on GSM carriers to locked down devices on Verizon.

So why don't you just get a 6p or 5x?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So we have 2 Droid Turbos we got late last year as part of a 2 year contract. I don't believe we have any extra replacement warranty or whatever on them. My wife dropped hers and the screen cracked. We haven't reported it yet.

I'd like to get her a replacement or it "repaired." What's the best/cheapest way to go about this? If there's a way to change contracts and get a new device, I'm open to that as well.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 25, 2015

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Wouldn't you do this?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/droid-turbo-screen-assurance-faqs/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Super Dude posted:

Any reason why you're not considering one of the Nexus phones? If your reason is so you can get device payments, then Huawei offers that if you order directly from them.

Huawei's offer apparently is 12 months at 10%-30% interest, depending upon your creditworthiness. That's kinda crap in the 2015 world of 0% 24 month payment plans.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Super Dude posted:

I might, I'm doing research and people seemed to like the first DT, the previous Nexuses weren't liked as much so they really weren't on my radar until the reviews started coming in. I might even get a year old model for cheapness sake or the 5x. I was reading on how to activate the 5x/6p on Verizon and it seems possible but moderately annoying, I don't know if my current phone has the proper sim card that can be transferred or not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Just buy a phone you can afford.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Kim Jong Il posted:

I was reading on how to activate the 5x/6p on Verizon and it seems possible but moderately annoying, I don't know if my current phone has the proper sim card that can be transferred or not.

I just went to a VZW store and they gave me a new nanosim for a Nexus 5x, no questions asked.

sturgeon general fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Kim Jong Il posted:

I might, I'm doing research and people seemed to like the first DT, the previous Nexuses weren't liked as much so they really weren't on my radar until the reviews started coming in. I might even get a year old model for cheapness sake or the 5x. I was reading on how to activate the 5x/6p on Verizon and it seems possible but moderately annoying, I don't know if my current phone has the proper sim card that can be transferred or not.

Just google what card size your phone now has. It's not that hard.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/25/9611746/verizon-wi-fi-calling-feature-seeks-fcc-approval

Huh, Verizon's asking for the same wifi calling variance that AT&T asked for and got.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Thanks. I'll look into this.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Just google what card size your phone now has. It's not that hard.

It has the micro SIM which I assumed because it's older.

Reading this: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/22/activating-a-nexus-6p-or-5x-on-verizon-some-things-to-know , apparently Google is now saying to call standard Verizon support?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

edad posted:

I just went to a VZW store and they gave me a new nanosim for a Nexus 5x, no questions asked.

That's what I did for my 5x, but I'd forgotten some info they wanted before they would activate it, so I went home and tried to activate online.

This failed with a generic error so I tried doing it over the phone. This also failed with a generic error, at which point I was passed off to a tech person, who told me the device isn't on the approved devices list. While still on the phone I googled and discovered the old nexus 5 isn't approved even after all this time. I expect the 5x to receive the same treatment.

After I hung up I realized my old phone wasn't working: they somehow deactivated the old SIM. It reactivated through their website. I decided to give that SIM cutting trick a tray, and minutes later rendered it inoperable.

By this point I was too drunk to drive back to the Verizon store. I ended up getting one of those nano to micro adapters (god bless amazon same day delivery) and activated the new nano SIM on my old phone, then transferred it to the new one.

If you manage to directly activate with the new SIM in the 5x please post in this thread so I can find out how badly I was jerked around by Verizon.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 27, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Blue Footed Booby posted:

While still on the phone I googled and discovered the old nexus 5 isn't approved even after all this time. I expect the 5x to receive the same treatment.

I doubt it will be the same situation as two years ago. The X Pure is in the same situation as the 5X/6P, and the Pure can be activated just fine.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

By this point I was too drunk to drive back to the Verizon store.

Maybe you should stop trying to cut small things with sharp objects while you're drunk?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Super Dude posted:

Maybe you should stop trying to cut small things with sharp objects while you're drunk?

You're not wrong! Though I used an actual SIM cutter. Even sober I'm not sure what I messed up.

Interesting about the Pure, though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How the heck do you get a family plan or a two device plan now a days I can't figure it out

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.
Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but does anyone know if the gift card I got for trading in my phone to Verizon can be used to pay my Verizon internet / cable bill?

I see the option on the Verizon Wireless billing page, but not on the regular Verizon website. They only sent me a gift card number and pin via email.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

How the heck do you get a family plan or a two device plan now a days I can't figure it out

You pick your base data plan. $45 for 3GB, $60 for 6, $80 for 12GB, etc.

It's $20 a line.

You buy whatever phone on device payment (or outright).

So a 12GB plan looks like:
$80 for 12GB
$20 for line 1
$20 for line 2
= $120 monthly.

If you got say, two iPhone 6S' it would start at $27 monthly each. So $120 + $27 + $27 = $167.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

limekle posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but does anyone know if the gift card I got for trading in my phone to Verizon can be used to pay my Verizon internet / cable bill?

I see the option on the Verizon Wireless billing page, but not on the regular Verizon website. They only sent me a gift card number and pin via email.

Not sure. Go to pay bill, if there is a gift card option then yes, if not then no.

The wireless and wireline might as well be different companies. So it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for explaining that. If only I could get rid of the silly monthly access line charge :qq:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks for explaining that. If only I could get rid of the silly monthly access line charge :qq:

So you just want to add an unlimited amount of lines for the same price as a single line?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah, right now I don't have a Line Access charge, but if I add a phone I suddenly get charged for 2 Line Access charges a month.

limekle
Nov 15, 2004

This isn't a democracy anymore.
STAY IN THE HOUSE, CARL.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure. Go to pay bill, if there is a gift card option then yes, if not then no.

The wireless and wireline might as well be different companies. So it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't there.

Yeah, I'm not seeing it, but wasn't sure if it was worth my time to try to call them since it's a $300 credit.

Oh well. Thanks for the reply! :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Nah, right now I don't have a Line Access charge, but if I add a phone I suddenly get charged for 2 Line Access charges a month.

The plans are just structured differently. The old plans were also $120-160 for two lines.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I have two lines on my account, one new line and one that has been out of contract for a few months. Is it possible to cancel the out of contract line and then use that phone for the $300 trade in when activating a new line?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
At this point, is it worth just waiting a month to see what the Black Friday deals are? Googling suggests speculation that due to the end of subsidies, there won't be that many good deals this year.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Droid 2 Turbo looks and feels really nice. 4 year warranty on the shatterproof screen is actually a great idea and I don't know why other manufacturers haven't done something similar.I think the leather backs feel the best.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

lampey posted:

Droid 2 Turbo looks and feels really nice. 4 year warranty on the shatterproof screen is actually a great idea and I don't know why other manufacturers haven't done something similar.I think the leather backs feel the best.

I am considering getting one just because I can trade in my old Droid Razr Maxx with a cracked screen and get $300.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hitachi posted:

I am considering getting one just because I can trade in my old Droid Razr Maxx with a cracked screen and get $300.

Uh.....if the screen is cracked you won't get $300. They will reverse the credit when they inspect the phone and find it cracked.

Also, it's $300 trade in for new customers, $200 trade in for current customers for the new Turbo 2 or Maxx 2.

Kim Jong Il posted:

At this point, is it worth just waiting a month to see what the Black Friday deals are? Googling suggests speculation that due to the end of subsidies, there won't be that many good deals this year.

Verizon still offers two year contracts. Even for new customers. It just isn't advertised, and normally device payment (no contract) ends up better anyway.

It seems most promos tend to be a high value trade in like the Droid promo, or they offer a discount off an iPad or tab. I guess we will see.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

Duckman2008 posted:

Uh.....if the screen is cracked you won't get $300. They will reverse the credit when they inspect the phone and find it cracked.

Also, it's $300 trade in for new customers, $200 trade in for current customers for the new Turbo 2 or Maxx 2.

The promotion specifically mentions even if your phone is cracked. Is that just bullshit marketing?

And my name isn't on the account I am currently on so I should be able to get the new customer thing i think?

• Locked thread