Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

So a friend is asking me about the OnePlus Two (the phone, not the company) and I remember reading about how terrible it was but I couldn't exactly articulate why. What's wrong with the OPT?

No NFC? I literally have never used NFC in my life and I don't know anybody who has. Maybe I haven't been hanging out with the right people.

The company behind it. I mean, for what it is it's not a terrible phone. It's just the company has done a lot of silly things that most likely is intentional just to get their name out more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lblitzer posted:

The company behind it. I mean, for what it is it's not a terrible phone. It's just the company has done a lot of silly things that most likely is intentional just to get their name out more.

Gotcha, makes sense. I seem to remember something about a contest centered around women posting lewd pictures for an invite or something. Classy guys.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Heavy Hands posted:

You can try searching for the name of your desired genre under Browse Stations.
Thanks, that allows me to bypass the meager station selection somewhat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The fingerprint reader doesn't work if your finger is damp or wet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FogHelmut posted:

The iphone / samsung ones don't either.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Really? My work iPhone and personal S6 do, you just have to add a profile for your finger while it's damp.

zolthorg posted:

How are you supposed to pirate and emulate all of your Nintendo(R) AmiiboTM without HCE and NFC?

Is this a thing people do? That's hilarious. Easier than tracking down some of those figures I guess.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

grilldos posted:

Everyone's is "pending". The action starts when your card gets charged.

A few people (some in this thread) say that they've gotten notifications of shipping for their 6P. I'm guessing it depends more on the configuration you ordered than when you might have placed the order.

I ordered a 64GB Graphite 6P and mine has not shipped. I ordered it the day of the announcement before the links went live on the store page, so I was definitely one of the early orders.

Mine still says pending with a delivery date of Nov 2/3.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? My work iPhone and personal S6 do, you just have to add a profile for your finger while it's damp.

Good idea.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I've got a problem with one of my phones I haven't seen before. An LG G4 is building up a huge cache and not cleaning up after itself, a few days ago it was over 9 gigs so we cleared it and now it's up above 500 MB and climbing. I'm thinking a factory reset?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

grilldos posted:

Everyone's is "pending". The action starts when your card gets charged.
Oh weird. Could have sworn it was something other than " pending" before. Oh well.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

beerinator posted:

A few people (some in this thread) say that they've gotten notifications of shipping for their 6P. I'm guessing it depends more on the configuration you ordered than when you might have placed the order.

I ordered a 64GB Graphite 6P and mine has not shipped. I ordered it the day of the announcement before the links went live on the store page, so I was definitely one of the early orders.

Mine still says pending with a delivery date of Nov 2/3.

Ordered mine right after the announcement, it's been shipped and should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Mine shipped the same day the charge showed on my card, so that's probably a good indicator.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Ordered mine right after the announcement, it's been shipped and should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. Mine shipped the same day the charge showed on my card, so that's probably a good indicator.

What configuration did you order?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

beerinator posted:

What configuration did you order?

64GB, Aluminium.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Super Dude posted:

64GB, Aluminium.

Damnit. It must take them longer to mine the graphite versus mining the aluminum!

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

FogHelmut posted:

Good idea.

:lol: amazing that someone would think of this

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

It doesn't have a significant price and hardware advantage like the One did either

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Heads up for the Australians, Optus (and Vodafone) are currently doing preorders on the 6p. Should be available within the next week.

I wanted a 5x but if I can get the 6p without the huge outright cost, it beats waiting for a 5x.

Edit: also on the play store.

Premature fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 26, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

I still don't trust OnePlus to have figured out how to properly cool the Snapdragon 810 chip. Sony engineered special heatpipes for it and still ended up with performance complaints.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Android Central says the 6p doesn't get that hot

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

So I can't use it to start a fire in a survival situation.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
For most common materials you'd be trying to start a fire with... nope. It doesn't get hotter than 105? Maybe 110? for the 6p. Which is basically noticeable as "warm", and isn't noteworthy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm seeing a lot of new nexus commercials. But so far its 100% 5X. Anybody seeing 6P commercials?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNguXzotP6A

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Sorry. I saw it on youtube, I'm wondering if anyone has seen it on TV.

Separately, my N7 has started throwing errors when trying to watch youtube videos. I've cleared the apps cache, uninstalled and reupdated, same thing. Ideas?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 26, 2015

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I saw one 6p ad on TV like a week or two ago. The rest have been 5x.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Premature ejacula- posted:

Heads up for the Australians, Optus (and Vodafone) are currently doing preorders on the 6p. Should be available within the next week.

I wanted a 5x but if I can get the 6p without the huge outright cost, it beats waiting for a 5x.

Edit: also on the play store.

Holy poo poo. $659 for the 16GB and $739 for the 32GB. (But it's got free delivery!!!!!)

I waited so long for this loving phone, but no way I'm paying that much. That's premium phone price. I can get an unlocked G4 or Moto X Pure from the UK for like $650 (not that I want to pay that much, hence the waiting).

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

xcore posted:

Holy poo poo. $659 for the 16GB and $739 for the 32GB. (But it's got free delivery!!!!!)

I waited so long for this loving phone, but no way I'm paying that much. That's premium phone price. I can get an unlocked G4 or Moto X Pure from the UK for like $650 (not that I want to pay that much, hence the waiting).

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed too. Ended up getting the 6P with Optus for 60/month, it's only $480 more than my current SIM only plan over two years. I'm annoyed that Telstra got an exclusive on the 5x, it's almost as expensive as the 6p with Optus but on an awful plan.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Premature ejacula- posted:

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed too. Ended up getting the 6P with Optus for 60/month, it's only $480 more than my current SIM only plan over two years. I'm annoyed that Telstra got an exclusive on the 5x, it's almost as expensive as the 6p with Optus but on an awful plan.

Yeah, I've toyed with going on a plan, but I lose out on too much money with most of the ones I look at. When I'm on a $40 plan with 3GB data, it's hard to justify these 60/70/80 monthly plans on worse network. Especially now that you tell me Telstra got exlusive 5x plans :(

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

ilkhan posted:

Sorry. I saw it on youtube, I'm wondering if anyone has seen it on TV.

Separately, my N7 has started throwing errors when trying to watch youtube videos. I've cleared the apps cache, uninstalled and reupdated, same thing. Ideas?

First time I saw it was on Hulu, does that count?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

If I can't use a phone to make scrambled eggs eggs, then what's the point?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Got my 5X on Friday. Here are my impressions, coming from an N5, which is my favorite smartphone to date:

Pros
+ Screen is great. Can't see a pixel, no issues with viewing angles.Also appears to be brighter. I thought the N5 screen was really excellent, but this one is a definite improvement.
+ Camera is very fast to take a pic, even with HDR. Can also launch with double tap on power button, though I haven't trained myself to do this yet. Only have taken a few, but quality seems good.
+ Processor is fast. I don't game or anything, and the N5 was fine in that respect. This phone is faster by a bit. No lags or stutters.
+ Connectivity seems perfect; no issues with cell reception. WiFi is fast, connects to my 5Ghz router without issues. GPS is more accurate than N5 (Google Now knew I was inside a specific restaurant)
+ Build quality is solid, if uninspiring. No creakiness that the N5 had.
+ Fingerprint sensor is very fast and accurate. Makes unlocking the phone super easy. I was actually dreading this, but it works great.

Neutral
Battery life seems fine. Nothing mind-blowing, but of course it's better than my 2 year-old N5.
Vibration motor is so strong that I thought there was a touch sound enabled.
New placement of power button and volume rocker, which I'm not used to yet.
Takes nano SIM. Tried to cut the SIM myself, but it didn't work, and had to stop at a T-Mobile store for a new one. Not a big deal.
Phone is slightly larger, though not significantly so. Mainly the phone is taller.
USB C means new cables and wall warts. The included cable can't be plugged into a computer, and the wall wart is bizarrely enormous.
Fingerprint sensor is the same size and shape as the camera lens, so I'm occasionally trying to repeatedly unlock the phone the wrong way.
"Breathe" feature, where phone displays notifications when you pick it up, doesn't work perfectly at the moment. I wouldn't say it's entirely useless, but I'd like it to be more reliable.
Back of phone is more slippery than N5. Not getting a case yet, but would have preferred something like the N5 material.

Cons
- Bezels, IMO, are needlessly large. I understand that this is probably a cost-cutting type of measure, but it is probably my biggest problem with the phone.
- No wireless charging.
- App issue: SMS backup+ restored my SMS up to June. After wrangling with it a bunch, that seems to be the best I can get. Frankly I only want my texts from September/October restored. Not a huge deal, but a small annoyance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

nocal posted:

USB C means new cables and wall warts. The included cable can't be plugged into a computer, and the wall wart is bizarrely enormous.
Fingerprint sensor is the same size and shape as the camera lens, so I'm occasionally trying to repeatedly unlock the phone the wrong way.
How does the fingerprint sensor work if you have the phone/finger rotated? Like, if you have the phone in landscape?
You can charge at normal speeds from a type A / type C cable on an older source, correct?

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

ilkhan posted:

My N5 started doing this and the fix was to hit the gear and change the video quality. It fixed itself after the 5.0 upgrade I think.

nocal posted:

Back of phone is more slippery than N5. Not getting a case yet, but would have preferred something like the N5 material.

I've never cracked a phone, but I can already tell this is gonna be the first one where that happens. Bigger + less grippable, ugh.

So my 5X rebooted itself twice in the car today while I had it plugged in to my AUX jack. I really had to push the cable in to the headphone jack to get it to click, too. Anyone else had any similar issues? Like, headphone jack causing a short?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

ilkhan posted:

How does the fingerprint sensor work if you have the phone/finger rotated? Like, if you have the phone in landscape?
You can charge at normal speeds from a type A / type C cable on an older source, correct?

Yeah unlocking works fine at whatever angle, and charging is just slower charging through a non-USB C charger.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Yep. It doesn't seem to care the angle of your finger.

nocal posted:

+ Processor is fast. I don't game or anything, and the N5 was fine in that respect. This phone is faster by a bit. No lags or stutters.

I get slight hiccups in Pixel Dungeon that I didn't have on my OG N5, even with 6.0.

nocal posted:

Vibration motor is so strong that I thought there was a touch sound enabled.

The vibration motor is really strong. Forget having your phone on vibrate if you're somewhere quiet. Is there a way to turn down the strength?

nocal posted:

New placement of power button and volume rocker, which I'm not used to yet.

Volume rocker placement is a con for me. Now need to use both hands to take screenshots.

nocal posted:

Takes nano SIM. Tried to cut the SIM myself, but it didn't work, and had to stop at a T-Mobile store for a new one. Not a big deal.

I cut down my SIM and it didn't work, but re-seated it and it seems to be fine.

nocal posted:

Phone is slightly larger, though not significantly so. Mainly the phone is taller.

Agree with the phone being mainly taller. This is the big change that you feel.

nocal posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the wall wart is ok? It's a big bigger than the one for the N5, but it's not like a 170W laptop charging brick.

nocal posted:

I do this sometimes too, maybe 1 in 10 unlock attempts.

nocal posted:

Agree with this. I went from a black N5 to a white N5X, and it's noticeably less grippy.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to cut down a sim, get it most of the way and do the rest with a nail file or sand paper. Keep in mind nano sims are a bit thinner as well so you might need to sand it down to get it to fit properly.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I like how my 6P will arrive tomorrow yet I still haven't gotten an OTA for 6.0 on my Nexus 6.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The vibrate mode on my 5x is way quieter than my 2013 Moto X. I'm afraid I'll miss calls completely if I keep it on vibrate.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

TheBuilder posted:

I like how my 6P will arrive tomorrow yet I still haven't gotten an OTA for 6.0 on my Nexus 6.

You own a Nexus. There is no need to wait for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Yes let me download SDKs and issue long command line executables because they can't release the OTAs all at the same time.