Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
#fuckmyfootrottedoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Only 70% of my brigade was killed.
#goodday

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We may be losing but I got my dogs and my dogge. #mystruggle

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Keep casualties under 95% #squadgoals

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Does anybody smell almonds? #GETSOMME

I actually cackled at this one.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Aaaahahahaha

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Interior view of the Stingray light tank, a failed Textron venture that only got bought by Thailand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSOQn3h5nAA

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I love you in a platonic way, but in the kind of platonic way thats like a night of tequilla shots away from butt stuff

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

#stoppedtheboats

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Bronze Stars and valor awards for days, how the gently caress did he get an Air Medal? This dude should get the GI Joe logo stamped in his headstone, that's a badass motherfucker.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Only 70% of my brigade was killed.
#goodday

I've been reading up on the Charge of the Light Brigade. Pretty :stare:worthy. The orders were misinterpreted (and vague) so British light cavalry charged up the middle of a valley head-on to attack Russian artillery at the other end. And there was more Russian artillery on both sides firing down from an elevated position. It was a textbook charge, aside from the gross misapplication of such a force. They actually routed their adversaries, then wheeled and returned back down the valley, still taking fire from both sides. Roughly 50% killed or captured, almost everyone was wounded, but the commander who actually led the charge from the front survived intact and testified in front of Parliament. The Russians literally thought the Brits were drunk to even try it.

They were probably supposed to go up one of the sides of the valley and try to flank the artillery there, rather than try to QB sneak that poo poo with 700 cavalrymen and no blockers (the heavy cavalry were going to follow, which ALSO makes no sense, but their commander stopped that nonsense when he saw how well it was going for the light cavalry).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 26, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If it's not an active campaign or something do you get awards for hush hush missions and such?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

If it's not an active campaign or something do you get awards for hush hush missions and such?

in the book Riding Rockets, Mike Mullane talked about how he got secret medals that he wasn't allowed to wear in public for quite a while during the Shuttle missions

this goes into it a bit more
http://www.americaspace.com/?p=12853

subterfudge
Aug 5, 2015

Godholio posted:

how the gently caress did he get an Air Medal?

Doing a rotation with CSAR is supposed to earn one. So you'll see a few rangers with them.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How did he get a Presidential Unit Citation (Navy)? Did he change branch?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

How did he get a Presidential Unit Citation (Navy)? Did he change branch?

More than likely he was in Afghanistan at the beginning, when TF K-Bar was a thing running around in '01/'02 killing al-Qaeda and poo poo. CJSOTF-SOUTH/TF-K-Bar earned a PUC (Navy/USMC) for some reason as opposed to one of the other branches, I'm sure that has something to do with who was the head chicken-fucker at the top of the TF.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

i have a secret knights cross with hearts stars horseshoes clovers and blue moons

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

subterfudge posted:

Doing a rotation with CSAR is supposed to earn one. So you'll see a few rangers with them.

That makes perfect sense. CSAR sorties do, in fact, count.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

:master:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

#stoppedtheboats

lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

late to the party but goddamn

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Newfies got wiped out in the battle of the Somme, 90% casuality rate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Newfoundland_Regiment

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

M'allah.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I've never before felt such a burning desire to blow up a particular technical, but here it is.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naked Bear posted:

I've never before felt such a burning desire to blow up a particular technical, but here it is.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

I've never before felt such a burning desire to WP up a particular technical, but here it is.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Godholio posted:

I've been reading up on the Charge of the Light Brigade.

"Cardigan survived the battle. Although stories circulated afterwards that he was not actually present, he led the charge from the front and, never looking back, did not see what was happening to the troops behind him. He reached the Russian guns, took part in the fight, and then returned alone up the valley without bothering to rally or even find out what had happened to the survivors. He afterwards said all he could think about was his rage against Captain Nolan, who he thought had tried to take over the leadership of the charge from him. After riding back up the valley, he considered he had done all that he could and then, with considerable sang-froid, left the field and went on board his yacht in Balaclava harbour, where he ate a champagne dinner."

:britain:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
British as gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The sad thing is that the reason he was mad at Nolan is that he thought Nolan was rushing out be in front of the charge for glory...it's more likely that Nolan was actually trying to wave the charge off because he knew that wasn't the intent of the orders. Either way, he got blasted by an artillery shell immediately and Cardigan had a killer dinner.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dilettante. posted:

"Cardigan survived the battle. Although stories circulated afterwards that he was not actually present, he led the charge from the front and, never looking back, did not see what was happening to the troops behind him. He reached the Russian guns, took part in the fight, and then returned alone up the valley without bothering to rally or even find out what had happened to the survivors. He afterwards said all he could think about was his rage against Captain Nolan, who he thought had tried to take over the leadership of the charge from him. After riding back up the valley, he considered he had done all that he could and then, with considerable sang-froid, left the field and went on board his yacht in Balaclava harbour, where he ate a champagne dinner."

:britain:

Hang all nobles.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

quote:

The futility of the action and its reckless bravery prompted the French Marshal Pierre Bosquet to state "C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre." ("It is magnificent, but it is not war.")

The soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Hang all nobles.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiPBr5OQECI

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Allahu ackbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll admit, I laughed at "after a 5-day ban."

• Locked thread