Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

uber_stoat posted:

Well, there's the whole "rat ogre punches you in the face while the intro sequence plays" thing, but maybe that happens in other levels too?

dogstile posted:

Anyway, lets laugh at a really, really funny vermintide issue with the R'ogre

Video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
This is where we need an emote like :darksouls: for Vermintide

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

I dont know posted:

So after playing a bit I understanding is that the following weapons are complete garbage and should never be uses. Is there anything about them that I am missing/misunderstand?

WH:
Repeater pistol: Just plain outclasses by brace of pistols. No real purpose.

Elf:
Swiftbow: Damage is simply too low to be worthwhile.
Hagbow: The AOE DOT is to both too small and too weak to be useful. Seems to be in a weird place where an AOE suggests it is for hordes, but the DOT ends up killing them much slower than other weapons.

Dwarf:
Grudgeraker: Given the game is melee focused, shotguns already have reduced purpose compared to other FPS. Additionally, the opportunity cost of taker the Grudgeraker means giving up the ability to influence a fight more than 2 yards away unless you use a bomb. This is a huge problem when, for example, a packmaster grabs a teammate and you can't do anything about it other than hope someone else saves them or slowly run after them.

Soldier:
Blunderbuss: Same problem as the Grudgeraker. The BW's shotgun staff avoids this since it has the beam as a secondary fire.

Not entirely true. The WH Repeater Pistol has a magdump that's an insane burst of "Oh poo poo" damage, especially on something like a Rat Ogre.

The Shotgun and Blunderbuss can become quite good with the right upgrades. Especially heal on kill or hit and 50% reload speed or piercing. Spam it to heal up when you're a Sword and Board and don't need to be knocking things over right now. The base ones are pretty bland though.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Chomp8645 posted:

The funny thing about Wheat and Chaff is how out of skew the balance solely because of one tiny detail, which was "on a scale of 1-10, let's set Stormvermin spawns to 11". Without that nothing about the level would be unusual or difficult. Everything else is pretty standard, but the unending Stormvermin clowncar storm makes getting anything done almost impossible if your group isn't on top of their poo poo.

Yeah and what makes it so different compared to even black powder is the lack of verticality. On BP you can atleast break up the waves a bit by going up and down forcing the rats to funnel/jump etc. W&C everything is pretty much a straight dash away from you and from all angles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
First time doing W&C was difficult as hell because everyone split up like morons. Second time we just tightened up and moved as a group, but it relies on you having a lot of "headshot stormvermin now" weapons.

In other news, my friend now has a grudgeraker that can hold four shots and has switched from "awesome shielddwarf" to "lets pretend i'm a ranged class and steal all of the witchhunters ammo".

gently caress you man, gently caress you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

dogstile posted:

First time doing W&C was difficult as hell because everyone split up like morons. Second time we just tightened up and moved as a group, but it relies on you having a lot of "headshot stormvermin now" weapons.

Or soldier tank with an ap harqubus that just loving blows them away with a chest shot. :black101:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

FrancoFish posted:

Or soldier tank with an ap harqubus that just loving blows them away with a chest shot. :black101:

Don't think that works on harder difficulties unfortunately.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Can anyone give me a summary of witch hunter weapons and what they are good for?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FrancoFish posted:

I really wish I knew why the soldier's handgun would not body shot any specials/stormvermin (except a gutter runner) on normal when I used it

Everybody else seems to love the thing and says stuff like this :shrug:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The grudge-raker is less desirable if you are a lovely player/your team is lovely (you are all consistently split up, people are not playing their roles, people are slow or committing the cardinal sin of stopping) and much more desirable if you are all good (you are consistently close together, people are playing their roles, everyone is making efficient progress towards the objective)

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

UberJew posted:

I really wish I knew why the soldier's handgun would not body shot any specials/stormvermin (except a gutter runner) on normal when I used it

Everybody else seems to love the thing and says stuff like this :shrug:
Because everyone is headshotting the specials, where it is a 1-hit kill and not particularly hard if you ping the guy first (bind it to shift, always press it before you shoot as it highlights its head very clearly).

AP Harquebus like he mentioned is one with the armour piercing trait I assume, different to a normal one. Body shotting to 1-hit kill specials with a normal weapon would be a bit ridiculous.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

On normal you can definitely bodyshot a ratling gunner. Its head is so centrally placed that I may just be headshotting it by accident, though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A blue Handgun will body-shot two Stormvermin on normal and I believe it does it on Hard, too.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
My blue handgun doesn't kill stormvermin in a single bodyshot on hard and above. It only does that to packmasters and gunners.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So it's been a few days, how does this game seem to you guys? What's the map variety like?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Am I missing something about the beam staff? The shotgun blast left-click is fine, but I'm not convinced by the right-click beam. It just doesn't seem to do enough damage to specials. You can left-click while channeling the beam for a little explosion, but that's not enough either. It'll one-shot a clan rat though specials take three to four blasts so you're probably better off just using the beam the whole time.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Beam is for stunning rats, damage is really modest but the stun is real.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Turtlicious posted:

So it's been a few days, how does this game seem to you guys? What's the map variety like?

The maps are pretty short overall, but the specials have balls so it's more of a game of "what are they going to throw at us" more than "what is around the next corner"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fans posted:

Not entirely true. The WH Repeater Pistol has a magdump that's an insane burst of "Oh poo poo" damage, especially on something like a Rat Ogre.

The Shotgun and Blunderbuss can become quite good with the right upgrades. Especially heal on kill or hit and 50% reload speed or piercing. Spam it to heal up when you're a Sword and Board and don't need to be knocking things over right now. The base ones are pretty bland though.

The Betelgeuse is such a good gun, they turned it into an entire character archetype with the Bright Wizard :staredog:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

The game seems evenly split between 'showcase' levels like the Horn of Magnus, Wizard's Tower and Gardens of Morr which have real setpieces and a great presence, and shorter ones like Blackpowder and Supply & Demand that are cool enough on their own but don't have the same setpieces or grandeur of the former. The variety kind of suffers from being set entirely in one city and they're all universally dark and gloomy, but there's no danger of getting any of the levels confused. If this was priced at £35 I'd have expected more but at £20 and with DLC confirmed in the pipeline I've got no complaints.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Although being shorter levels isn't a bad thing when you barely make it through what we have already.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Although being shorter levels isn't a bad thing when you barely make it through what we have already.

Making a more bite-sized l4d is a good idea, I'd say.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Got a True Flight bow with Extended Ammo and Heal on Hit. Thanks Goons! This thing is making me love the elf even more as I spam blue swirly arrows of death around corners at Specials.

I also really like the Well level, it's short, fun and a bit different to the norm without having to carry loving sacks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Drakes posted:

Beam is for stunning rats, damage is really modest but the stun is real.

Why stun when you can kill?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

dogstile posted:

Why stun when you can kill?

It's mainly for Specials. The shotgun is the real gem of the beam staff, the beams just there to be a bit useful against anything far off.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The dev team for this game works.... very quickly. Tried the 'make the AI glitch out on Black Powder' thing, and it didn't work. I think it was working as recently as this afternoon.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Backhand posted:

The dev team for this game works.... very quickly. Tried the 'make the AI glitch out on Black Powder' thing, and it didn't work. I think it was working as recently as this afternoon.

Did they make leaving the level work reliably yet?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've never had a problem and I ran it three times today.

e: If you mean any level, then I ran through the entire game today in a vermintide marathon (this game only takes like 4 hours to complete on normal if you're competent) and didn't have an issue either.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Backhand posted:

doing it right now and its working? Maybe you did it wrong.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I can roll a blue coach gun while playing Soldier but am carrying 3 white arqebus which is the weapon I actually use. Oh well at least if I get 2 more whites I can trade them in for a green.

It will probably be 3% chance on hit to regain 1 ammo

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I snipe with the dorf shotgun all the time. Just slow your fire and you can easily hit something farther away. It really is best in thinning the heard from farther away or clearly out rats from coming up your back side.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So you know how the Trueshot arrows will circle around a target if it doesn't have a good vector? I'm pretty sure that it hurts the tank every time it passes through their body. I hit him several times and made a whirlwind around him, and he just passed out

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

hooman posted:

I can roll a blue coach gun while playing Soldier but am carrying 3 white arqebus which is the weapon I actually use. Oh well at least if I get 2 more whites I can trade them in for a green.

It will probably be 3% chance on hit to regain 1 ammo

I gambled when i got my 4th harque and put in a rider gun with it that was white and it came out green. Then I took my 5 greens and urned them into a blue it had the cool trait of 80-100% chance to penetrate and hit another target, sadly no fast reload which my current blue has.

When you get that fast reload trait you'll be the happiest man alive.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Ugh, I can feel the difference between my dwarf's blue handgun (fast reload) and my soldier's blue handgun (no fast reload). One of these classes is BAM BAM BAM, the other is me furiously praying I get the bullet in the barrel before a rat can come over and hit me again.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I was super happy when the first thing my Witch got was a blue staff. I was super disappointed to discover the AOE of the default staff is better than anything else this blue has to offer. :(

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AegisP posted:

Ugh, I can feel the difference between my dwarf's blue handgun (fast reload) and my soldier's blue handgun (no fast reload). One of these classes is BAM BAM BAM, the other is me furiously praying I get the bullet in the barrel before a rat can come over and hit me again.
Related to this, it'd be nice if, after (if) they add DLC characters that some weapons get listed as cross-class. The greatswords, handguns, and crossbows are probably the biggest examples of cross-class weapons and it'd cut down on some of the frustration of not getting any of the weapons you want. Which is mostly fine for now, but if/when more characters get added it'll only get worse.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Right now I'd just like to be able to do something with all of my useless duplicate trinkets. Kinda sucks when I get one I already have since I effectively received nothing as a reward.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

Related to this, it'd be nice if, after (if) they add DLC characters that some weapons get listed as cross-class. The greatswords, handguns, and crossbows are probably the biggest examples of cross-class weapons and it'd cut down on some of the frustration of not getting any of the weapons you want. Which is mostly fine for now, but if/when more characters get added it'll only get worse.

Elaborating on that, cross class weapons could have certain bonuses regarding where the weapon comes from, like say a Dwarf handgun fires faster than an Empire Harquebus, but the Harquebus has more accuracy, or summat.

I loving love the sound that Globadiers make. It's like a steam engine from hell.

Griffball
Sep 6, 2010
Two loving hard runs in a row, carried out a tome and a grimoire each time. Rolled a one. Twice in a loving row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PSA about the docks map, in the warehouse where you have to throw exploding barrels into the central structure: there is a little ledge made of planks that get you close enough to the center to throw the barrel into the middle spot. If you do not throw it from there, you will miss and make everyone take another minute or so to get another barrel ready. Stop causing me to lose every run because you try the same throw from the side 5 loving times and can't get it through your thick goddam head that it will never work. Do not then call me an idiot and/or rear end in a top hat for coming down to personally throw the barrel in because "that's not how you do this map".

Sorry, I am salty about bad elf pubbies.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 27, 2015

• Locked thread