Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Gilganixon posted:

I know that this gif is meant to show that the mug is unbreakable or whatever, but it still looks pretty scuffed up and ruined after it's run over by the car:

what's the point of this kind of demonstration, it's dumb

haha why would they show this?

You can see where the plastic is warped on the edges and I'm sure will start leaking all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagacity posted:

To be fair, a lot of services that The Internet relies on are horribly broken. The authors of OpenSSL tried and failed to get sponsors for multiple years until finally someone found an exploit and all hell broke loose.

Yeah, but ESR doesn't help with any of them, and he isn't likely to do so any time soon. Last time he was relevant for programming was the 90s if that.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
dude's poor as gently caress because he's an OSS true believer so it seems a little stupid to give him poo poo.

e: the idea of him being "FYGM" is absurd as he has not "got his."

Germstore has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Oct 20, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

dude's poor as gently caress because he's an OSS true believer so it seems a little stupid to give him poo poo.

e: the idea of him being "FYGM" is absurd as he has not "got his."

He's a creepy rear end in a top hat who was last relevant to the wider world when Flash websites were the hot new thing. Dude doesn't deserve anyone's money.

Like I get this is probably the first time you've heard of him or something but older folks remember that he used to be pretty well off and bungled at all. One of the things was that he got rich of tech stocks just before the bubble burst, refused to sell off as it happened, and eneded up with millions turning into thousands. So basically he gets involved with this company, VA Linux in the late 90s. As part of something he did with them they granted him stock options pre-IPO worth $36 million. Now by the time he can sell them months later after IPO, the stock has dropped a lot so the stock's only $5 million in value but he still coulda sold them then. Instead he finally ends up getting like $160,000 for that stock shortly before the company goes under.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

He's a creepy rear end in a top hat who was last relevant to the wider world when Flash websites were the hot new thing. Dude doesn't deserve anyone's money.

Like I get this is probably the first time you've heard of him or something but older folks remember that he used to be pretty well off and bungled at all. One of the things was that he got rich of tech stocks just before the bubble burst, refused to sell off as it happened, and eneded up with millions turning into thousands. So basically he gets involved with this company, VA Linux in the late 90s. As part of something he did with them they granted him stock options pre-IPO worth $36 million. Now by the time he can sell them months later after IPO, the stock has dropped a lot so the stock's only $5 million in value but he still coulda sold them then. Instead he finally ends up getting like $160,000 for that stock shortly before the company goes under.

He's still active in the OSS community. I'm not sure what briefly being a paper millionaire has to do with anything.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are you guys talking about RMS?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Can't actually find any reference to ESR actually creeping on anyone, so I guess "creepy" is in reference to either him being polyamorous or pro-gun. In either case, get a grip.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
He could have been rich but he's poor what an rear end in a top hat

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Germstore posted:

Can't actually find any reference to ESR actually creeping on anyone, so I guess "creepy" is in reference to either him being polyamorous or pro-gun. In either case, get a grip.

Creepy is in reference to him posting about other races creep him out on an instinctual level but he's totally smart enough to get over it. And other stuff but the thing about calling saying people have feces skin is the main thing.

Germstore posted:

He's still active in the OSS community. I'm not sure what briefly being a paper millionaire has to do with anything.

Only barely. Him being too drat stupid to use free money correctly the first time is a pretty good reason not to give him money on a gofundme when he also already has a patreon.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'll admit 'Eric S. Raymond racist' came back with more illuminating results than 'Eric S. Raymond creepy'. Yikes.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Nintendo Kid posted:

Him being too drat stupid to use free money correctly ...

It's free money as in freedom, not as in free beer :smuggo:

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Alright, another weird wallet!

This one comes in all different configurations, even one for your keys in case they're not cumbersome enough and you have only four of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zafrdF-TsHU

But I think my favorite is the version just for cards. You get to yank little ribbons to get to them so your wallet looks like it has tentacles once you find your debit card :cthulhu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU7BMDfU8YY

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is your wallet too fat? How about replacing it with three wallets!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Stumbled upon this while browsing imgur: http://imgur.com/gallery/ef17q

Hard at work shilling Star Citizen. "See you in the 'Verse !"

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah no other activity and admits they have never played the game. I'm just a fan I swear
So transparent

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Fauxtool posted:

Yeah no other activity and admits they have never played the game. I'm just a fan I swear
So transparent

No one has played the game. Because there is no game.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

admits they have never played the game.

He does? Because at the end he basically says "use this referral code so we both get money ingame".

It's not even a shill, just a dude trying to get star citizen bucks for his digital gooncave.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

He does? Because at the end he basically says "use this referral code so we both get money ingame".

It's not even a shill, just a dude trying to get star citizen bucks for his digital gooncave.

About 6 hours ago when I first read the post it didnt have the part about being french either. He edited it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Star Citizen recently added a referral system, just in case you thought it couldn't get any scammier and cult-like they decided to become an MLM on top of it all.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Sleeveless posted:

Star Citizen recently added a referral system, just in case you thought it couldn't get any scammier and cult-like they decided to become an MLM on top of it all.

Not even a normal MLM where you "make money", but one where you make funbux for your referrals. :laffo:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

To be fair it isn't multi-level. You don't get anything for a referrals' referral.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

Isn't "the Verse" a Firefly thing?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jedit posted:

Isn't "the Verse" a Firefly thing?

Yes

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Batterypowered7 posted:

The best part about that is someone else made that post and put it up, but that guy took everything but the referral code and posted it themselves.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Unfunny Poster posted:

The best part about that is someone else made that post and put it up, but that guy took everything but the referral code and posted it themselves.

Yeah, I saw the post explaining as much afterward.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is a difference between a scam and a bad product (Ouya) and star citizens problems came well after their kick starter campaign ended.

Not true, Chris Roberts has always been part of Star Citizen and there's no bigger problem for SC right now than Chris Roberts without anyone to keep him on task. OTOH, Peter Molyneux is probably glad to see some other awesome-in-the-90s-worthless-now development figure get all the limelight after his Godus debacle.

Unfunny Poster posted:

The best part is that the link 404's now. :laugh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Does somebody have this saved? Archive says no, and I want more SC shenanigans.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Michaellaneous posted:

Does somebody have this saved? Archive says no, and I want more SC shenanigans.

Here's the original: http://imgur.com/gallery/78ROG

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Germstore posted:

I have had the misfortune of seeing him creep on women at conferences many times, chiefly the significant others of other attendees. See also his "nerd's guide to seduction" or whatever. We used to travel in the same circles, and he did not improve those circles.

He wrote an essay that was popular for a while, but that's really the extent of his contributions. Fetchmail he took over from the original author after it was done, and the shitball he made of the curses stuff was embarrassing for everyone. He turned CatB into influence and nerd-fame, but never did anything useful with those things once he had them.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Fluffy posted:

The best part is that the link 404's now. :laugh:

Yeah, apparently a lot of people reported it for spam.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
For kickstarters, not necessarily awful but interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie

What's interesting:

1) They are (realistically) raising money for the pitch, not for the movie, though you wouldn't know it from some peoples' reactions to this. You'd have to be insane to think you could make a hand-drawn movie on $550,000.
2) They are (wisely) making all the reward tiers completely unrelated to the actual movie product beyond super-pre-production, meaning they have to do nothing more than draw a few production stills and sculpt a few maquettes to meet their legal obligations in terms of actual movie content.

Not good, nor bad, just interesting seeing a reasonably-big-money kickstarter going into this with a full bail-out plan if they never get even close to making a movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Isn't Dragon's Lair already one of the most-ported games of all time?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

stillvisions posted:

For kickstarters, not necessarily awful but interesting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/donbluth/dragons-lair-the-movie

What's interesting:

1) They are (realistically) raising money for the pitch, not for the movie, though you wouldn't know it from some peoples' reactions to this. You'd have to be insane to think you could make a hand-drawn movie on $550,000.
2) They are (wisely) making all the reward tiers completely unrelated to the actual movie product beyond super-pre-production, meaning they have to do nothing more than draw a few production stills and sculpt a few maquettes to meet their legal obligations in terms of actual movie content.

Not good, nor bad, just interesting seeing a reasonably-big-money kickstarter going into this with a full bail-out plan if they never get even close to making a movie.

If there's anything awful about that one, it's listing "A Troll in Central Park" as one of their major achievements.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Idk if this been posted
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/859540647/lucifers-rise?ref=nav_search

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Remember when those two dudes conned Red Pillers out of thousands of dollars by fundraising an anti-Antia Sarkeesian documentary and then just running away with the money? It's back, in female form!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sleeveless posted:

Remember when those two dudes conned Red Pillers out of thousands of dollars by fundraising an anti-Antia Sarkeesian documentary and then just running away with the money? It's back, in female form!

Those two have completed their film, actually. Some goon was going to post it in the AUG thread, but it wasn't meant to be.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Paladinus posted:

Those two have completed their film, actually. Some goon was going to post it in the AUG thread, but it wasn't meant to be.

Shockingly, there were actually two different anti-Sarkeesian documentaries! One, The Sarkeesian Effect, feat. a Kane from C&C knockoff and some other guy, was actually released, though unsurprisingly very unsuccessful! The other documentary, Tropes vs Men in Gaming, was a quick dine and dash after raising like $25.000 on Kickstarter and never releasing a single video. But Sarkeesian is the scammer!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
At least she has a photo of her with some happy black children, so we know she's not racist like Davis Aurini.

I think whenever those two are mentioned, it's obilatory to link these two videos made by a Goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A 55€ balsa stand for your razor also there's a lovely mono speaker for your iphone. Not awful I guess but it looks like a reversed birdhouse.