Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Being able to take booze home after 10pm would be a nice start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

freebooter posted:

There is something fundamentally authoritarian in the Australian DNA that leads to this level of nanny stating. It's like no liquor in supermarkets, or everybody having to park at the edge of the street facing the same way. You just don't see it in other countries. It feels cliche to chalk it up to our beginnings as a penal colony but I'm hard-pressed to think of what else it could be.

MonoAus posted:

Yeah, I really don't think we need less alcohol regulation, at least not here. Maybe people in Victoria or NSW could handle it but I have no faith in WA.

Extreme pessimism?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Do Australian act like children because of the nanny state, or do we need the nanny state precisely because we're unable to behave like adults?

BRB, going to sink all my super into a timber plantation, gorge myself on processed meat and then work it all off by riding my bike on the footpath without a helmet.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Drinking booze in NZ was loving amazing in that I could go to any old supermarket and buy booze.

Australia is a paranoid mess where you're treated like a child or a criminal instantly.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Mr Chips posted:

Do Australian act like children because of the nanny state, or do we need the nanny state precisely because we're unable to behave like adults?

BRB, going to sink all my super into a timber plantation, gorge myself on processed meat and then work it all off by riding my bike on the footpath without a helmet.

It's the third option. We have been so successful at dismantling the social structures that would keep individual excesses at bay that they are rearing their head despite what laws we do or don't implement. Perhaps people act like children because there aren't enough mediating social forces around to force them to behave like adults?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

There is something fundamentally authoritarian in the Australian DNA that leads to this level of nanny stating. It's like no liquor in supermarkets, or everybody having to park at the edge of the street facing the same way. You just don't see it in other countries. It feels cliche to chalk it up to our beginnings as a penal colony but I'm hard-pressed to think of what else it could be.

As soon as anyone starts talking about nanny state they lend their argument all the credibility as someone saying SJW.

What exactly is the point of state? Why do we have laws? Why do we establish government at all? Seriously, the whole point of government is that humans as individuals are notoriously lovely at making decisions about themselves or others that are in the greater interest of society. This is why we don't have pokies on every street corner, this is why we have a bunch of food safety laws.

We create the loving state with the entire purpose of nannying us. If we don't what is the loving point?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hooman posted:

As soon as anyone starts talking about nanny state they lend their argument all the credibility as someone saying SJW.

What exactly is the point of state? Why do we have laws? Why do we establish government at all? Seriously, the whole point of government is that humans as individuals are notoriously lovely at making decisions about themselves or others that are in the greater interest of society. This is why we don't have pokies on every street corner, this is why we have a bunch of food safety laws.

We create the loving state with the entire purpose of nannying us. If we don't what is the loving point?

Wouldn't the point be to provide a backup in case our culture fails us?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Les Affaires posted:

It's the third option. We have been so successful at dismantling the social structures that would keep individual excesses at bay that they are rearing their head despite what laws we do or don't implement. Perhaps people act like children because there aren't enough mediating social forces around to force them to behave like adults?

Nah, we're just a country of busybodies who despise pluralism and want everyone to be beaten until they fall into line. We're also highly skilled in using 'public health' as a justification for authoritarianism.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Ban smoking imo

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Les Affaires posted:

Wouldn't the point be to provide a backup in case our culture fails us?

The idea that our culture can succeed in a place where there are not limitations and consequences is naive dream. As soon as you remove the restrictions humans of any culture go loving hog wild. Look at any failed state, look at the aftermath of any natural disaster, look at any collapse of law and order.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

hooman posted:

You say this like life has some higher purpose than gambling and getting food poisoning.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

You say this like life has some higher purpose than gambling and getting food poisoning.

All my gambling is on food poisoning.

I like to live dangerously *eats from street vendor cart*

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

hooman posted:

All my gambling is on food poisoning.

I like to live dangerously *eats from street vendor cart*

Mexican grilled street corn. yes please.

*Later*

:barf:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't think I'd mind our authoritarian streak so much if people actually had a say in how they were regulated. No one votes for any of this stuff though, it's all decided by a very small group of people in a completely undemocratic way.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Nah, we're just a country of busybodies who despise pluralism and want everyone to be beaten until they fall into line. We're also highly skilled in using 'public health' as a justification for authoritarianism.

Also this is crap. I'm pro a lot of what you would call "Authoritarian" measures because they have a positive impact on safety, and as such, have a positive impact on healthcare costs, and as such have a positive impact on our healthcare system.

People make dumb decisions constantly and are terrible at managing and assessing risk. Balancing liberty and the needs of a society isn't an easy thing to do. People aren't free in WA to be exploited by pokies, do you think that should change? Do you think people should be able to make the "choice" about skinner box exploitation that preys on our weaknesses?

What about guns, what about fireworks, things that do tangible harm to people because they're poo poo at proper use. Why don't we legalise hand grenades, they seem fun as poo poo to be honest. I'm 95% sure that I won't blow myself up with one if I'm allowed to play with them, but I'm not such an entitled child that I'll whine about them being illegal because I recognise the cost to society that allowing any idiot to have hand grenades will result in. Is that Authoritarian? Is that busybody? Is that me waving my finger and going TUT TUT TUT I DON'T APPROVE? Or is that looking at the capability of humanity to make the right choices and ceeding some of those choices to government because gently caress us we're bad at it for the most part.

open24hours posted:

I don't think I'd mind our authoritarian streak so much if people actually had a say in how they were regulated. No one votes for any of this stuff though, it's all decided by a very small group of people in a completely undemocratic way.

So you don't mind regulation but you think our methods of implementing it need to be improved? Fine. What you're talking about isn't nanny state but "Father Knows Best" policy making. I agree, often these decisions are made at the behest of special interest groups rather than the general view of the Australian population about what should and shouldn't be up to a person to decide (see: smoking, gambling). I think more regulation policy should be based on research, but I don't agree that regulation of dangerous poo poo to prevent societal costs and consequences is bad in and of itself.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Adelaide.txt:

http://m.indaily.com.au/news/2015/10/27/haese-urged-to-skip-climate-conference-for-christmas-party/

Lord Mayor Martin Haese is facing a backlash within his council over plans to attend the UN Climate Conference in Paris and miss the annual Lord Mayor’s Christmas Party.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't think we really have any kind of major philosophical disagreement. It's not like I'm suggesting we return to a state of nature. We probably only differ in where the line between acceptable and unacceptable risks should be drawn.

Policy based on 'research' is just as biased as any other kind of policy. So called evidence based policy only works when everyone agrees about what the policy should be trying to achieve, but are unsure about the best way to go about it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Give me the ability to buy a bottle of scotch at woolies while pissed off my face at 5am or give me death

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
The whole bike helmet battle is literally the front line of the libertarians war on government here. Everything is better with less rules because people are generally nice to each other and smart enough to make the best decisions. Always. Especially when they aren't. Which is also always.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Speaking of wildly inappropriate alcohol consumption, I'm running an Archer-based mafia game. I know some of you hang in this thread not the other one, so link is here if you're interested.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uhm, well gently caress getting home's going to be a bit more difficult now.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/armed-siege-underway-in-latrobe-street-in-melbournes-cbd-20151027-gkjkh1.html

quote:

Armed siege under way in La Trobe Street in Melbourne's CBD

An armed man is holding police at bay in Melbourne's CBD.

Heavily armed police surrounded the second floor of the Little Ipoh restaurant on La Trobe Street shortly before 2pm.

Officers are currently negotiating with the man, who is brandishing what appears to be a large machete or meat cleaver and has claimed to be a "messiah of Islam".

He has used the weapon to smash two windows, injuring his hand, and has at times dangled his legs out the window. He has also asked for his mother.

Man Throws Stuff At Police During Melbourne Siege On Latrobe And Queen Street https://t.co/cDBN2HrmqO
Just after 2.15pm, the man picked up a large pane of glass from a shattered window and threw it at police.

At 2.30pm, he put on sunglasses and lied down, making a 'V' symbol to crowds outside.

He then dangled his mobile phone out the window and appeared to take a 'selfie'.

The man reportedly has a dispute with a business in the building, which is between Queen and Elizabeth streets.

He has not made threats to the public or police.

A number of people have been evacuated from the building.

Traffic and public transport diversions are in place.

Route 30 trams are operating in two sections between St Vincent's Plaza and Elizabeth Street and Etihad Stadium, Docklands and Spencer Street.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Where are all the Imams denouncing this sort of Islamic violence?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"He has used the weapon to smash two windows, injuring his hand, and has at times dangled his legs out the window. He has also asked for his mother."

There's your scary terrorist people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

To me the entirety of the bike helmets thing is a cost benefit analysis.

You're 100% right there, but you (and everyone else in the thread) is using the wrong costs and benefits. Because you can have all the facts and figures in the world supporting your pro-helmet or anti-helmet stance and it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

If helmets are no longer required by law, then there will eventually be a child not wearing a helmet who gets hurt and dies while riding their bike. Maybe they would have been totally safe if only they were wearing a helmet, maybe not. But no politician in the world is going to be the person whose decision "killed a child".

Politician cost: Change helmet laws, maybe appear on the news being spat on by a grieving mother screaming that you killed her baby.

Politician benefit: Do nothing, bikes are someone else's problem. No worries.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

lol what is he doing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

TheIllestVillain posted:

lol what is he doing

having some kind of catastrophic psychotic episode

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...026-gkiv5v.html

quote:

Education Minister Simon Birmingham an advocate for school vouchers

Education Minister Simon Birmingham has been a passionate advocate for a controversial US-style school voucher system that would likely encourage more families to exit the public school system.

The debate about school vouchers - in which students are allocated a set amount of funding that follows them to whichever school their parents enrol them in - is one of the most ideologically charged in education circles.

oh hell yeah. This will likely stealthily make its way though both houses while the media fellates Turnbull over his office decor.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don't know if this was the article that kicked off the latest round of helmet chat, but here is a source people were asking for linking mandatory helmet laws with lower cycling rates:

quote:

Avoid the mistakes of Melbourne and Brisbane and bike-sharing in Sydney can work

October 18, 2015
Tim Dick

Sydney's plan to adopt Boris bikes can't come soon enough.

The most notable legacy of London mayor Boris Johnson, a bike share scheme makes the city delightful for visitors, and a little less of a grey, crowded place to live for locals. It's cheap, safe, and quick.

Last time I was there, the bikes stopped Trafalgar Square from being a rammed tourist haunt to avoid. Instead, I found a bike stand, paid the fee and soon was on the street, passing frustrated passengers in black cabs, whizzing from the National Gallery down The Mall to see The Queen, or as far as it's possible to whizz on machines with such fat tyres.

It's both a serious and fun way to get around, making short trips much faster than car or tube.

More than 400 cities now have bike sharing schemes, and Sydney's welcome plan to join them means it can avoid the screw-ups that have made the Australian examples so disappointing.

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore told the Australian Financial Review last week her council is planning a bike share scheme, once there were enough separated cycle ways in the city. A pilot is mooted before 2020. Bring it on.

But if Sydney is to match the success of the scheme in London, rather than the under-used pretenders in Brisbane and Melbourne, there is one clear difference between those that work and those that don't.
Helmets. We will have to ditch the lids.

Helmets aren't required in London, or Paris, or New York, or most cities which have added cycles to the public transport mix. You don't need to plan to use them.

Allowing such spontaneity is not the antipodean way. Both Brisbane and Melbourne inflict the helmet rule on their bike share schemes, with making them far less popular than they could be.

According to figures released last year, in summer the Melbourne bikes are used less than once a day. That figure is far lower than in New York, where each bike is used about five times a day.

For all the hard, welcome work the City of Sydney has done making biking to work viable for city workers – which it has in spite of ferocious and moronic opposition – a cycle share scheme will need an exemption for helmets if it is not to be a well-intentioned fizzer.

Making occasional riders of big-wheeled velocipedes buy disposable helmets before they can trundle from Martin Place to Circular Quay or Barangaroo would condemn a good idea to a bad reality. It risks instead becoming a wastefully expensive repetitive piece of footpath art.

A study published in Transportation Research in 2012 found the two largest deterrents to people using Brisbane's cycle scheme were that helmets were hard to find (36 per cent) and not wanting to wear one (25 per cent). Each of them alone were far more off-putting than the weather, cost or safety.

In Melbourne, wannabe cyclists have to find a helmet before setting off either by hoping to find one left with the bike, including the sweat from previous user, or scour nearby convenience stores for a $5 one.

As Arnold Schwarzenegger knows after a run-in with Melbourne police earlier this year, riding helmet free risks being stopped and fined by a constabulary with evidently little else to do. (Schwarzenegger escaped with a warning.)

But if there's one place it should be relatively safe to ride without a lid, it's in the central city. Traffic is slower, and in Sydney there are now, finally, more separated bike paths being built to reduce conflict between driver, rider and pedestrian.

For the Sydney scheme to work, we don't need to resolve the intractable debate over the utility of helmets by ditching the general rule, at least not as long as some drivers behave so abominably towards those on two wheels for doing nothing more offensive than carbon-free commuting.

Instead, it would be easy enough to exempt most streets in the central city from helmets to give the scheme a chance. The zone could stretch beyond the CBD from North Sydney to Redfern and Waterloo in the south, from Centennial Park and Paddington in the east to Sydney University and Newtown in the west.

It would establish central Sydney as an oasis for spontaneous bikers, and make it a little quicker and a little more fun to get around.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/avoid...l#ixzz3pjh0rAh6

Anecdotally, when I was in Melbourne for business last week, I saw some of the bikes, thought sweet that's perfect, then went over and it said "go and hire a helmet from 7/11 first", so I thought gently caress it, cos I didn't want to be fined. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Helmets are great and I wore one all the time when I cycled, but the reality is that making them mandatory is a barrier to the successful take up of cycling in cities, and we need greater take up of cycling in cities, and so re-thinking the blanket mandatory helmet laws will help them edge closer to a tipping point.

So why not, like the above article suggests, trial exemption zones? What about not needing helmets on bike paths, or designated routes between paths?

cartoon posted:

So without legislation between 11 and 26% of Danes choose to wear helmets despite 'emotional propaganda' about head injury reduction.

What's your point here exactly? 11% of 10,734 cyclists were wearing helmets that day, without any legislation. Right. Good for them? Are you saying that's high or low? The question is, what would that total of 10,734 be if helmets were mandated. The evidence suggests it would be lower.

Here's a video of trips in New york, 75,000 rides in 2 days:

https://vimeo.com/89305412

If it can work that well in a city as busy as NYC, in a society as litigious as USA, it's gotta be worth a shot here.

Solemn Sloth posted:

If there's one thing australia needs it's less regulation of alcohol.

You don't live in NSW do you.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Is the machete plastic

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TheIllestVillain posted:

lol what is he doing

quote:

The man is behaving erratically; smashing windows, throwing glass, a smart phone and an apple to the ground outside the business near the corner of Queen and La Trobe streets.

Apples are not smartphones. - ABC.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

You're 100% right there, but you (and everyone else in the thread) is using the wrong costs and benefits. Because you can have all the facts and figures in the world supporting your pro-helmet or anti-helmet stance and it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

If helmets are no longer required by law, then there will eventually be a child not wearing a helmet who gets hurt and dies while riding their bike. Maybe they would have been totally safe if only they were wearing a helmet, maybe not. But no politician in the world is going to be the person whose decision "killed a child".

Politician cost: Change helmet laws, maybe appear on the news being spat on by a grieving mother screaming that you killed her baby.

Politician benefit: Do nothing, bikes are someone else's problem. No worries.

Sure if we're going to talk realism, rather than you know some kind of platonic idea.

Realistically Labor will slide right and the Libs will poo poo up everything else until the sea rises and consumes us all.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Keep them mandatory for kids then. Not particularly hard.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They don't care because there's no votes in it. People only get one vote, can't vote for individual issues, and virtually no one is going to change their vote because of bicycle helmet policy, so why bother talking about it?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The actual truth about bicycles is that it's too late. Australia hosed it up and our culture and our cities are incompatible with commuting to work on a bike, unless you're happy to breathe fumes and endure an extremely unpleasant daily commute.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
why not have manned kiosks where you can hire bikes and also helmets?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

hooman posted:

I agree that "nanny state" is a problematic term which is often hijacked by dickheads but I don't think it's as hijacked as "SJW," and I think it's still useful. I'd say it's for describing the authoritarian stuff a government does which is annoying but not actually fundamentally dangerous to our broader freedom. Liquor licensing is nanny state stuff, but data retention deserves a more serious moniker. That sort of thing.

With regards to all your hand-flailing "without regulation we're BACK IN THE JUNGLE PEOPLE," I'm not talking about tearing down the state. I'm not even talking about some kind of bold, dangerous new experiment that has never been seen before. My entire point was that Australia is the only country I've ever been to where you can't buy liquor in a corner store or supermarket, and that includes Muslim countries like Malaysia and Turkey.

This isn't uncharted territory; Britain and Germany and the United States and Iceland and New Zealand and any other country you care to name all sell liquor in supermarkets and corner stores without the foundations of their society crumbling around them.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/linzcom/status/658445557724131328/photo/1

I'm actually starting to dislike him more than Abbott, somehow.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Solemn Sloth posted:

having some kind of catastrophic psychotic episode

A crazy person internalised and co-opted our national psychosis about TERROR? Never. Terror. TERROR.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
In WA it is illegal to ride a bicycle on the footpath, unless you are under 12 years old.

Yet literally everyone does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

freebooter posted:

I agree that "nanny state" is a problematic term which is often hijacked by dickheads but I don't think it's as hijacked as "SJW," and I think it's still useful. I'd say it's for describing the authoritarian stuff a government does which is annoying but not actually fundamentally dangerous to our broader freedom. Liquor licensing is nanny state stuff, but data retention deserves a more serious moniker. That sort of thing.

With regards to all your hand-flailing "without regulation we're BACK IN THE JUNGLE PEOPLE," I'm not talking about tearing down the state. I'm not even talking about some kind of bold, dangerous new experiment that has never been seen before. My entire point was that Australia is the only country I've ever been to where you can't buy liquor in a corner store or supermarket, and that includes Muslim countries like Malaysia and Turkey.

This isn't uncharted territory; Britain and Germany and the United States and Iceland and New Zealand and any other country you care to name all sell liquor in supermarkets and corner stores without the foundations of their society crumbling around them.

Why is not being able to buy alcohol in a supermarket a big thing?

One thing we need to work on is less exposure to alcohol. Having seperate alcohol shops is a good start. A ban on alcohol advertising would be a great next step. Maybe then even plain packaging.

• Locked thread