Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

a modern pike for a modern war

which reminds me, some of the pictures are here
http://www.slagomgrolle.nl

1,400 reenactors, and we drilled all together twice. the commands went out in english and german and then the lower officers picked them up in the language each group spoke, so after each one you'd get a delayed chorus in italian, spanish, french, czech, polish, dutch, etc.

so i have now stood in the middle of a ~thousand strong battalion of pike and shot

edit: i'm not sure if the choice of main languages was because everyone thought that the dutch probably knew english, or if they thought that the english didn't know anything else

English people are terrible at learning languages.
And I badly want to go to something like that in the future. Being a lunatic on horseback waving his sword in the air and raving about God and killing the other side makes it all the better.

HEY GAL posted:

probably, except maurice of nassau gave them in latin too in his book lol

I know Martin Luther had started the trend of putting Bibles in non-latin languages, but wasn't Latin still a near universal language for the aristocracy at this point? I've been imagining that when German and Spanish armies meet in the 30 Years War, it's mostly Latin that gets spoken to get the message across.

I also emailed a Professor of German History and have acquired more books on the 30 Years War. Some have translated accounts of battles. One has an account written in Ye Olde Scotts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HEY GAL posted:

lots of cav out there
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-25-oktober-2015/
the guys in buff coats with the bright blue sashes caracoled at us on saturday: the first one in line tried to fire at me and failed, the second one in line tried to fire at me and failed, and then the third one's pistol went off

eat poo poo, cav havers

Looking at the push of pike, it looks like everyone is angling their pikes downwards, presumably to avoid accidentally poking an eye out. A very reasonable safety precaution, but I can't help but wonder how many people end up staggering away from the push clutching at their groins.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Looking at the push of pike, it looks like everyone is angling their pikes downwards, presumably to avoid accidentally poking an eye out. A very reasonable safety precaution, but I can't help but wonder how many people end up staggering away from the push clutching at their groins.
it's lower than that even, you just get hit in the knees and shins a lot.

edit: crotch height would be dangerous because people would be more likely to fall

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

it's lower than that even, you just get hit in the knees and shins a lot.

edit: crotch height would be dangerous because people would be more likely to fall

People didn't wear cups then?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

People didn't wear cups then?
Oh no, then you aim straight for the other guy's face. Talking about now.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
I meant at the reenactment. Even a blunt stick hurts a fair amount when it's thick enough. I was imagining everyone, even if not in armour, would have some chest and groin protection concealed beneath their clothes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Only the armor wearers are actually wearing protection, and what you see is what we've got. I've got a bruise the side of my palm on my left inner thigh. The musketeers are lightly armored or unarmored but nobody hits them.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013
HEMA seems safe by comparison. The occasional stab hurts, but we have better protection.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hazzard posted:

I know Martin Luther had started the trend of putting Bibles in non-latin languages, but wasn't Latin still a near universal language for the aristocracy at this point?

For the Church. I'm not sure J Random Graf von Soldierbro needed or wanted to speak Latin, even in the actual middle ages rather than the early modern period.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

HEMA seems safe by comparison. The occasional stab hurts, but we have better protection.
Yeah, I was baffled when I started taking fencing classes and everyone was so tentative about getting hit. I had a dude tell me I should wear big padded gloves when I fought with pikes.

Edit:

feedmegin posted:

For the Church. I'm not sure J Random Graf von Soldierbro needed or wanted to speak Latin, even in the actual middle ages rather than the early modern period.
On the one hand, either he can find enough Germans on any side to talk to or he's picked up enough languages along the way to say "Shoulder pike" in five or six of them. (I mean, even I'm beginning to learn what the commands sound like in Dutch, although I couldn't spell them to save my life.) On the other hand, I read somewhere that in Catholic regions, if you were literate at all you probably had a smattering of Latin--the 17th and 18th century Jesuits are well known for their popular plays, and they put those on in Latin, although they'd hand out pamphlets summarizing the action in German first.

Edit 2: After Gustavus Adolphus was killed, nobody knew what the hell was going on and morale was seriously wavering in the area near where he had last been seen. During this time, one (Lutheran) field chaplain told another "I think the king is wounded" in Latin, to avoid starting a panic. Very useful.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, I was baffled when I started taking fencing classes and everyone was so tentative about getting hit. I had a dude tell me I should wear big padded gloves when I fought with pikes.
My group struggles with two things when sparring. Getting distance right and hitting the other person. Training the intention is difficult. Apart from the one guy who hits me so hard it feels like I have no helmet on.
And if you ever have any weapon forced through your hand and the handle is a bit rough, you will learn why. I've lost a patch of skin from the basket of my sword being rubbed against my thumb from impacts on the basket.

HEY GAL posted:

On the one hand, either he can find enough Germans on the other side to talk to or he's picked up enough languages along the way to say "Shoulder pike" in five or six of them. On the other hand, I read somewhere that in Catholic regions, if you were literate at all you probably had a smattering of Latin--the 17th and 18th century Jesuits are well known for their popular plays, and they put those on in Latin, although they'd hand out pamphlets summarizing the action in German first.
This confuses me. If they didn't want the common folk reading the Bible and understanding it, why teach them some Latin?

Edit: In the original writing, is Wallenstein written as Wallenstein or Waldstein? I'm collecting together notes on the original naming of various figures. I have no idea where the change from Waldstein came from.

Hazzard fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 27, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hazzard posted:

And if you ever have any weapon forced through your hand and the handle is a bit rough, you will learn why. I've lost a patch of skin from the basket of my sword being rubbed against my thumb from impacts on the basket.
you don't wear thin leather gloves?

quote:

This confuses me. If they didn't want the common folk reading the Bible and understanding it, why teach them some Latin?
who says they don't want the common folk understanding the bible?

Hazzard posted:

Edit: In the original writing, is Wallenstein written as Wallenstein or Waldstein? I'm collecting together notes on the original naming of various figures. I have no idea where the change from Waldstein came from.
either/both/neither/sometimes there's also a J or two in there.

spelling is more of a gentle suggestion than anything else at this time, I've run into a guy whose name is spelled von Ossa zu Dehla, von Ossa zu Thal, von Ossa zu Lehna, and a whole shitload of other things. Sometimes Pappenheim spells his last name with a B.

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

you don't wear thin leather gloves?
I normally wear my bike gloves, but my hands were getting hot so I took them off. Plus I can't throw my sword with gloves on.

HEY GAL posted:

who says they don't want the common folk understanding the bible?
Anti-Catholic Family history and dodgy History lessons at school. I've never heard anything different.

HEY GAL posted:

either/both/neither/sometimes there's also a J or two in there.

spelling is more of a gentle suggestion than anything else at this time, I've run into a guy whose name is spelled von Ossa zu Dehla, von Ossa zu Thal, von Ossa zu Lehna, and a whole shitload of other things. Sometimes Pappenheim spells his last name with a B.
Explaining this to the lecturer will be fun.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, it's not that medieval Christians didn't want people understanding the bible, it's just that they knew translation is dodgy at best and didn't want people getting the wrong idea. That's how you get hosed up heresies and the like. Translation is fine for conveying meaning, but a lot of the nuances and emphasis can fall by the wayside. When you're discussing the fine points of morality and theology that's a big deal. A modern example of this would be the importance that Muslims place on reading the Koran in Arabic. Now put that back in an era with no public education and where literacy itself isn't nearly as common as it is today.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yo cyrano there's lots of firearms in the links i posted

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HEY GAL posted:

Maybe he had a cold those days. :v:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

VanSandman posted:

Maybe he had a cold those days. :v:
That guy was the worst for adding random H es everywhere in the middle of every word. Wallenstein's spelling is OK--it probably reflects a pretty thick accent but it's at least consistent--but he never uses commas or sentence breaks. (Or calls anyone by the second person, which it turns out was not a polite convention since he's the only one who does that. The effect is weird as hell.) Mansfeld's syntax is comprehensible but all I have is his rough drafts so the handwriting is terrible and he never sharpens his pens. Gallas? Great handwriting.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 27, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wallenstein is that spider from Perdido Street Station?

E: got my books mixed up.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 27, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, it's not that medieval Christians didn't want people understanding the bible, it's just that they knew translation is dodgy at best and didn't want people getting the wrong idea. That's how you get hosed up heresies and the like. Translation is fine for conveying meaning, but a lot of the nuances and emphasis can fall by the wayside. When you're discussing the fine points of morality and theology that's a big deal. A modern example of this would be the importance that Muslims place on reading the Koran in Arabic. Now put that back in an era with no public education and where literacy itself isn't nearly as common as it is today.

Plus, you know, peasants are illiterate anyways and there aren't enough Bibles to go around for priests (well, OK, that was before the printing press).

And yes, the "Catholics don't want peeps to reed the Bible" is a surprising American protestant (I think) conspiracy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
wrt. the flashlight chat:

edit: and his other masterpiece:

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

JcDent posted:

Plus, you know, peasants are illiterate anyways and there aren't enough Bibles to go around for priests (well, OK, that was before the printing press).

Not all of them, tho. Remember that in many places, it was just ordinary peasants doing all the local management and some of those had to be able to read or write in order to carry out their tasks. Like reeves and stuff in England. Can't really manage poo poo if you can't do any bookkeeping whatsoever.

Ginzburg's The Cheese And The Worms is a p famous work about that sort of thing: a miller (millers were well-to-do in many places) who can read reads a bunch and promptly starts getting weird as poo poo ideas about cosmology and stuff and ends up interrogated by the inquisition.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hogge Wild posted:

edit: and his other masterpiece:

Years ago after a range trip some friends and I started reading that while cooking lunch. We had to do it in shifts because whoever was reading would become unable to talk from laughing every couple pages. It's mind-blowingly bad.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
It's a good thing that image is so low-resolution. For a security expert, he seems to be quite unconcerned about someone copying his key from the photograph and sending it to the neighboorhood prankster :staredog:

On the topic of millers: All of the pre 1900s military logistics stuff I've read places some pretty massive importance on the production of bread- typically in a given region the bottleneck to feeding soldiers was not the grain supply, but the rate at which it could be made into flour. If millers are rich, it stands to reason there are not many millers, so why is that? What's the shortage? Is it too expensive to build mills, or is it too hard to power mills (i.e. is there a shortage of wind or water powered sites on which to build mills)?

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 27, 2015

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Years ago after a range trip some friends and I started reading that while cooking lunch. We had to do it in shifts because whoever was reading would become unable to talk from laughing every couple pages. It's mind-blowingly bad.

I was unaware this existed - somebody make a let's read thread

Also the existence of this book vexes me doubly, as I was just in the middle of writing a book about practical self defense using halberds

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the weapon is useful but concealed carry might be a bit of a problem

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

I was unaware this existed - somebody make a let's read thread

Also the existence of this book vexes me doubly, as I was just in the middle of writing a book about practical self defense using halberds

Please do this. The cover picture alone is just hilariously goony.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

the weapon is useful but concealed carry might be a bit of a problem

That's chapter 1. Nature has all sorts of ways of saying do not touch - walking around with a halberd is one of them. Also not being a concealed weapon sidesteps all sorts of laws

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Keldoclock posted:

On the topic of millers: All of the pre 1900s military logistics stuff I've read places some pretty massive importance on the production of bread- typically in a given region the bottleneck to feeding soldiers was not the grain supply, but the rate at which it could be made into flour. If millers are rich, it stands to reason there are not many millers, so why is that? What's the shortage? Is it too expensive to build mills, or is it too hard to power mills (i.e. is there a shortage of wind or water powered sites on which to build mills)?

Barriers to entry and getting a little bit from a lot of transactions is a pretty good way to get wealthy. I'd be surprised if an army's requirements weren't significantly more than an area could normally create demand for, and milling is probably the step where it's hardest to acquire or move the materials for it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Keldoclock posted:

Early on, it was fairly usual for nobles to control the mills in order to squeeze out profits from the local peasants. And of course you can't build a mill in any old place, and if there's not a just perfect stream to power a water wheel, it takes a significant amount of labor to build a small canal to divert a stream to get power.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Keldoclock posted:

Chiefly it's the surge in demand. Suddenly you need twice as many mills, and at the time a mill was an expensive high tech investment. You couldn't just grab twenty peasants and tell them to make a mill, and have it done by Sunday.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

Not all of them, tho. Remember that in many places, it was just ordinary peasants doing all the local management and some of those had to be able to read or write in order to carry out their tasks. Like reeves and stuff in England. Can't really manage poo poo if you can't do any bookkeeping whatsoever.

Ginzburg's The Cheese And The Worms is a p famous work about that sort of thing: a miller (millers were well-to-do in many places) who can read reads a bunch and promptly starts getting weird as poo poo ideas about cosmology and stuff and ends up interrogated by the inquisition.

And executed, I think. Also, since millers had control of an essential part of the food supply, they were both wealthy and disliked. Similar to modern day lawyers. There's a reason why the Miller in Chaucer is portrayed the way he is.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

sullat posted:

And executed, I think.

To be fair to the Inquisition, they first let him off lightly and told him to shut up about his dumb bullshit. Which he didn't, which is why they got him kacked.

That particular miller reminds me of a modern-day stoner to be honest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mills were openly monopolistic, and you could find yourself in some poo poo if you tried to use a mill other than was customary for your village. And if you tried to mill at home they'd confiscate your grinding stone. One monastery paved their walkway with confiscated stones.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kemper Boyd posted:

To be fair to the Inquisition, they first let him off lightly and told him to shut up about his dumb bullshit. Which he didn't, which is why they got him kacked.

That particular miller reminds me of a modern-day stoner to be honest.

"What if, like, all the universe was, like, milk?"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Serbia: still hosed. Western Front: trenches merrily flooding like they did last year. Italian Front: blizzards stopped play. French strategy: Joffre is attempting to crowdsource his next battle (although not interested in what the English have to say).

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

JcDent posted:

And yes, the "Catholics don't want peeps to reed the Bible" is a surprising American protestant (I think) conspiracy.

It's not just American. My Protestant Dad has been saying it for years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's something that came out a few decades after the Reformation in Britain and just permeated through society, because Catholics are awful because we say so.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

That guy was the worst for adding random H es everywhere in the middle of every word. Wallenstein's spelling is OK--it probably reflects a pretty thick accent but it's at least consistent--but he never uses commas or sentence breaks. (Or calls anyone by the second person, which it turns out was not a polite convention since he's the only one who does that. The effect is weird as hell.) Mansfeld's syntax is comprehensible but all I have is his rough drafts so the handwriting is terrible and he never sharpens his pens. Gallas? Great handwriting.

Oh boy, handwriting. I could rant about that for an hour or so. John Jellicoe was a great admiral but his handwriting is damned awful. Not sloppy, just tiny and cramped and hard to read. Not as bad as Assheton Curzon-Howe, though, who has the tiniest handwriting I've ever seen. One of my colleagues had a theory that Charles Beresford had a stroke around 1905 or so because his behavior became erratic and his penmanship got worse, on the latter I don't know how they could tell since it always looked like he was trying to write with the wrong hand or he was impersonating a arthritic man with Parkinson's. Fisher, meanwhile, used exclamation marks and underlines like the Time Cube guy.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 27, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh boy, handwriting. I could rant about that for an hour or so. John Jellicoe was a great admiral but his handwriting is damned awful. Not sloppy, just tiny and cramped and hard to read. Not as bad as Assheton Curzon-Howe, though, who has the tiniest handwriting I've ever seen. One of my colleagues had a theory that Charles Beresford had a stroke around 1905 or so because his writing got worse, frankly I don't know how they could tell since it always looked like he had Parkinson's or was trying to write with the wrong hand. Fisher, meanwhile, used exclamation marks and underlines like the Time Cube guy.
wallenstein's handwriting is good looking and easy to read, and his ink hasn't faded, but everything that comes out of the office of Leopold, Erzherzog of Further Austria, is a goddamned bitch to read i hate it i hate it so much

oh! when someone has been there before you like two hundred years ago, popped all the seals off with a loving knife, and put them in a separate file which probably damaged them! because the study of wax seals used to be its own thing!

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 27, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

wallenstein's handwriting is good looking and easy to read, and his ink hasn't faded, but everything that comes out of the office of Leopold, Erzherzog of Further Austria, is a goddamned bitch to read i hate it i hate it so much

I thought of some more eccentricities: Francis Bridgeman finished most of his sentences with exclamations. Gordon Moore used Greek letters to mark important bits of text instead of numbers or regular letters. Lewis Bayly's writing reminds me of a sixth-grade girl's with all the loops, but apart from that it could be from a kid practicing cursive. Arthur Wilson wrote everything like it was italics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

secretary's handwriting: good looking, well-disciplined, nice
mansfeld's signature: sharpen your goddamn pennnnn

• Locked thread