Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That seems like it should fall under a more general law about voter intimidation, though (since a domestic company doing the same thing would be just as shady).

A domestic Canadian company would be far too polite to do such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Gyges posted:

Funny story, I was recently at a technical seminar hosted, here in Canada. The organizer/guy running it was American. Held in a hotel/conference center like thing.

Lunch time rolls around. He says there's a spread out in the little deli in the lobby, and follow him. We all troop out.

We then all proceed to stand around, while he repeatedly gestures for us to 'go ahead, dig in! Line starts right there!' Nobody makes a move for the food.

Finally I say, 'We're Canadian. We're all too polite to go first.'

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Gyges posted:

Yeah, most of them, Canadian mining companies are PRETTY terrible though.

Like movie villain terrible

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

Funny story, I was recently at a technical seminar hosted, here in Canada. The organizer/guy running it was American. Held in a hotel/conference center like thing.

Lunch time rolls around. He says there's a spread out in the little deli in the lobby, and follow him. We all troop out.

We then all proceed to stand around, while he repeatedly gestures for us to 'go ahead, dig in! Line starts right there!' Nobody makes a move for the food.

My first read of this anecdote I genuinely thought he had lead you all out into an empty lobby and stood there gesturing at thin air whilst shouting " Go ahead! Dig in!" out of some weird Patriotic Spite.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

reignofevil posted:

My first read of this anecdote I genuinely thought he had lead you all out into an empty lobby and stood there gesturing at thin air whilst shouting " Go ahead! Dig in!" out of some weird Patriotic Spite.

Maybe he was just waiting for you to believe in the food.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

This confirms my suspicion that Canada is essentially American Sweden.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

apatheticman posted:

Yeah, most of them, Canadian mining companies are PRETTY terrible though.

Like movie villain terrible

Isn't there one that is basically a communist asbestos mine where it's illegal to sell asbestos in Canada but they ship it out to south america because gently caress you that's why?

Like some kind of bizarre purely capitalist amoral endeavor but collectively owned.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

Isn't there one that is basically a communist asbestos mine where it's illegal to sell asbestos in Canada but they ship it out to south america because gently caress you that's why?

Like some kind of bizarre purely capitalist amoral endeavor but collectively owned.

Yes, and its the least evil of all the mining companies in Canada.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See, the way it works is that Canada has, on average, just as much malice and hate as any other country, but it's almost exclusively funneled into our mining companies and our geese. That's why geese are dicks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

YggiDee posted:

See, the way it works is that Canada has, on average, just as much malice and hate as any other country, but it's almost exclusively funneled into our mining companies and our geese. That's why geese are dicks.

True, and we also have far fewer people per square mile compared to the states, so any anger we might have towards someone else usually fizzles out before we see them, eh?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I love the quotes website.

FrakkinCylon
Apr 25, 2008

My folks went to Caprica and all I got was this frakking avatar.
Did John take this week off? I didn't see an episode in my on-demand, but sometimes Crapcast is late getting them up.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

FrakkinCylon posted:

Did John take this week off? I didn't see an episode in my on-demand, but sometimes Crapcast is late getting them up.

Yeah. Nothing on the Youtube channel either.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Yeah. Nothing on the Youtube channel either.

There was no episode this week, back next week.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Nothing on the Youtube channel either.

Everyone involved in the show is probably so tired at this point in the season I don't really blame them.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

No doubt Canada has arrested John Oliver. No doubt.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No doubt Canada has arrested John Oliver. No doubt.

He's probably in Canadian prison

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Everyone involved in the show is probably so tired at this point in the season I don't really blame them.

What do they actually do to be so tired? I don't want to be too dismissive but there isn't that much more going into the show than there was with the Daily Show, and that one was, well, daily.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mobby_6kl posted:

What do they actually do to be so tired? I don't want to be too dismissive but there isn't that much more going into the show than there was with the Daily Show, and that one was, well, daily.

The research, the writings, the fact checking. The Daily Show also had more writers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
They probably spend most of their week making mascot costumes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
LWT has more in depth stories so, I would assume, this requires a lot more research. Plus I don't think it's as if they're not working this week they're probably just working on news stories for the next. Or maybe John himself was busy. Or maybe they received a bunch of "distractions" by way of Our Church of Perpetual Exemption donations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Or maybe they put out 34 shows a year and take time off every few weeks because otherwise they'd burn out or take an entire chunk of the year off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Or maybe they put out 34 shows a year and take time off every few weeks because otherwise they'd burn out or take an entire chunk of the year off.

Yeah, this. And not that I don't love the Daily Show, but half of it is an interview, the other half is mainly laughing at stupid poo poo that happened the day before, or pointing out something dumb fox news did, or a prepared, topical segment involving one of the correspondents. LWT hasn't really gone after many of the super-easy targets like Fox, have they?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I got mad once when John Oliver took a week off and then a week later I found out he was sitting on a stool on that same weekend that I was mad and he was about to lose his poo poo at an empty chair representing Edward Snowden. And then things got even funnier.

So I just let him do his thing these days.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're so tired of making a semi-weekly(more not than it is at this point) that has roughly the same amount of effort as dozens of other shows that update daily? Grow up. The only reason that Last week Tonight doesn't update weekly is that they simply don't give a gently caress.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Or because HBO only wants to pay to produce X number of episodes per year and wants them spaced out in a way that makes sense to them.

edit: looks like this point has already been covered.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Austrian mook posted:

They're so tired of making a semi-weekly(more not than it is at this point) that has roughly the same amount of effort as dozens of other shows that update daily? Grow up.

Well

That escalated quickly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wouldn't resort to insults just yet, but I really don't buy the "research" justification either. I used to do more research by myself the night before my term papers were due, and they supposedly have a paid crew for this stuff. The only other time intensive thing might be filming those fake ads, but even then it's usually just the same dude narrating over some stock footage.

If they can't/won't make a "guy talks about current events" show stick to its already generous weekly scheduling, I'll probably just lose interest and stop waiting for it at all, eventually.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya ive already stopped watching and giving a poo poo. he was waaaay better on the daily show.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
If you get home and see it on your DVR Monday night after work then that's a nice surprise and half an hour is not exactly a huge commitment, but yeah it's not worth staying up on a Sunday night to maybe catch considering it's not consistently on.

Otherwise his jokes probably land about 10% of the time for me. His shtick of coming up with random names to say repeatedly and berate while looking at stock images in the upper left hang corner of the screen was probably still funny in season 1 episode 2.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Jeez, lot of people pissed about a show taking a week off. It's almost like they're paid to do X shows per year and have the loving gall to only do X shows per year!

I mean I'm not sure how people manage to post that opinion since they should obviously be at their jobs instead working unpaid overtime for the love of working.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

How many shows did they do the first year 24? So we're already way ahead. People are actual complaining about only getting 2/3rd of the year with new shows? gently caress you.

The show is still fantastic. gently caress the haters. Oh and if you are asking "did the show air on Sunday?" In 2015 there's a guy that's coming to your door to take your internet badge from you.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Fragmented posted:

How many shows did they do the first year 24? So we're already way ahead. People are actual complaining about only getting 2/3rd of the year with new shows? gently caress you.

The show is still fantastic. gently caress the haters. Oh and if you are asking "did the show air on Sunday?" In 2015 there's a guy that's coming to your door to take your internet badge from you.

Lmao. This guy is so fuckin pissed

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Austrian mook posted:

Yup I cursed therefore I am so fuckin pissed. But seriously if a show doesn't air that people usually talk about when it does? It skipped a week or two. There's a big internet out there people, you can find these things out pretty fast.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
There really aren't that many random weeks off. 35 episodes a year. It didn't air the first 5 weeks this year. Assuming the last 4 episodes air in a row, it won't air the final 5 weeks this year. That leaves 7 weeks off in-between its first and last episodes of the year.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Fragmented posted:

Yup I cursed therefore I am so fuckin pissed. But seriously if a show doesn't air that people usually talk about when it does? It skipped a week or two. There's a big internet out there people, you can find these things out pretty fast.

Yeah you do seem kind of pissed

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Just imagine my posts in a bewildered UK accent. Oh and I have spider fingers.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Fragmented posted:

Just imagine my posts in a bewildered UK accent. Oh and I have spider fingers.

You should take a week off.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Ya...there are a bunch of mascot costumes to gently caress...SEE YOU NEXT WEEK GUYS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Austrian mook posted:

Says the guy who told someone to "grow up" after that someone rationally posited how exhausted the staff must be at this point in the season.

"BUHBUHBUH THE DAILY SHOW" Must be exhausting too, but that schedule being potentially more exhausting is not proof that the LWT grind is not exhausting in and of itself, which is something people usually learn after they turn 14.

Or is this too much of a care post for you?

• Locked thread