Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Montasque posted:

Wonder who's leaking all this? When Trump does it it's pretty obvious as he posts it on twitter and it then ends up on Breitbart... this is someone else.

Feels like more indiscriminate fire from one of Jeb Bush's super-pacs oppo brief.

It being totally against his interests seals it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Peel posted:

I don't see how Rubio positioning himself as an outsider conservative could last longer than one of his rivals for that position mentioning immigration.

I agree with you, and he's going to have a hard time selling that to the hardliners over at FreeRepublic or Breitbart. With that said Rush and Hannity are trying to concoct some narrative that Rubio is one of the good ones, a real fighter for WE THE PEOPLE.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 22, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Peel posted:

I don't see how Rubio positioning himself as an outsider conservative could last longer than one of his rivals for that position mentioning immigration.

Might be why he's staying so quiet

Or he really is a lazy flake like they say...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Carrasco posted:

It's tomorrow/Wednesday, 8 PM eastern.

Ah to hell with that then, I've got D&D that night.

E: Thanks though

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I appreciate the effort and effect but I'd sure like to talk about the universe we live in rather than pointing out all the different ways some troll in an alternate reality is wrong.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Carrasco posted:

It's tomorrow/Wednesday, 8 PM eastern.

Traffic is already building to unbearable levels, protesters have already started hanging signs from the major bridges going into town. Commuting the next two days is gonna be grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Do It Once Right posted:

I both love and hate my stupid silly country.

http://www.fec.gov/press/resources/2016presidential_form2nm.shtml

click the link, read the truth. A$$, DAT PHAT.

A$$, DAT PHAT.
A$$, DAT PHAT.
A$$, DAT PHAT.

World Star.

From a few pages back, but I'm super disappointed no one has registered as OBAMA, BARACK HUSSEIN just to troll freepers. Bonus if its for the communist party

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

has anyone made a tronald dump joke yet?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/ben-carson-donald-trump-cbs-nyt-poll-215180

Donald Trump thinks that insulting Ben Carson is a winning strategy, but he will be degrading African-Americans, Science, Christians, self-made success, role models for children, urban poverty, redemption, Republicans, and American Conservatism in the process and keep saying "I don't get why I'm dropping in the polls and Carson is rising? He's a stupid n*****...!" live on Morning Joe to stunned silence.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fulchrum posted:

I'm more baffled by 1972. Did no-one at the time realise they were voting for Nixon?

The fact that Nixon was ever elected gives me pause because it means that maybe, just maybe, Ted Cruz could win.

I mean, I know it's probably not popular to say so, but I don't think Cruz can win just because he's, well, just really unpleasant to look at. We've had a black president, a couple gay presidents, an atheist president, but we've never had an ugly president.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I have a prediction:

Trump is going to get tied up attacking Carson in the next debate, which will boost Carson's numbers with GOP voters who hate Trump.

Fiorina will have another strong showing at the debate, stealing some Trump support back and showing another peak.

Rubio will do well without the Trump heat and get a boost as well, stealing numbers from Bush, Kasich and Christie.

Trump will fall to sub-20 poll numbers, probably to a tie with Rubio. Caron and Fiorina will lead, causing Trump to throw a bitch-fit of epic proportions, claiming a GOP conspiracy to take him down, tearing up his pledge and running independent.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Smoothrich posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/10/ben-carson-donald-trump-cbs-nyt-poll-215180

Donald Trump thinks that insulting Ben Carson is a winning strategy, but he will be degrading African-Americans, Science, Christians, self-made success, role models for children, urban poverty, redemption, Republicans, and American Conservatism in the process and keep saying "I don't get why I'm dropping in the polls and Carson is rising? He's a stupid n*****...!" live on Morning Joe to stunned silence.

The hottest of takes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I was one of the few Republicans running for office in the entire country who lost. Talk about a blow to your pride. I’’m not embarrassed to admit I took it hard. After some soul-searching and praying, I made two major decisions. The first was the biggest: I joined my wife in the Catholic Church.

Is this a Jeb quote? Is he a Catholic?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Smoothrich posted:

Golly!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nonsense posted:

The hottest of takes.

Smoothrich turning on Trump is a sign that the latter is slowly but surely turning into a serious, respectable candidate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Peel posted:

How do you see his decline working? What's the actual mechanism that'll propel Rubio or Bush or whoever into the lead once the powers that be finally decide to back them solidly? Genuine question.

I think there have always been three plausible scenarios for a Trump decline:

1. He gets bored.
2. People get bored of him.
3. Voting starts.

I initially thought that (1) was the most likely, but his campaign has been going on long enough, and he's got enough paid staff that I think (2) is now the most likely. He really hasn't said anything new in a month, his numbers have plateau'd and people are starting to look at alternatives (Carson, Rubio, Cruz). Trump is a one-note candidate and, granted, the note is an air raid siren, but there's not a lot of depth to sustain interest.

If he can keep his current numbers going for a couple more months, he'll be in it for Iowa, but once serious primary-state campaigning and actual voting starts his campaign will collapse.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joementum posted:

He really hasn't said anything new in a month, his numbers have plateau'd and people are starting to look at alternatives (Carson, Rubio, Cruz). Trump is a one-note candidate and, granted, the note is an air raid siren, but there's not a lot of depth to sustain interest.

I would say the same about Bernie tbh

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Joementum posted:

1. He gets bored.
3. Voting starts.

I initially thought that (1) was the most likely, but his campaign has been going on long enough, and he's got enough paid staff that I think (2) is now the most likely. He really hasn't said anything new in a month, his numbers have plateau'd and people are starting to look at alternatives (Carson, Rubio, Cruz). Trump is a one-note candidate and, granted, the note is an air raid siren, but there's not a lot of depth to sustain interest.

If he can keep his current numbers going for a couple more months, he'll be in it for Iowa, but once serious primary-state campaigning and actual voting starts his campaign will collapse.

Regarding 2: Trump is the only professional entertainer in the race. It may have been a relatively quiet month in the Trump universe, but if there is any candidate that can seize election news cycles at will it is Trump. We'll probably see some new Trumpisms over the next few months that we never could have anticipated, and I wouldn't be surprised if he "wins" the next debate somehow and seizes back the attention.

The fact that Carson has passed him in some polls is good for Trump, because now there is a feeling of conflict for Trump to get tangled into, whereas before he was just punching down at idiots like Jeb!.

As for him not having much "depth to sustain interest," are you still talking about the GOP base? It's about as deep as it's going to get right now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I called my dad to say that there was a drug dealer living on our same block. Neighbors said he had been bragging about importing cocaine from Columbia. I called after there was screaming from his wife, who had been locked out of their home in the middle of the night.

Ok.

Did I miss a joke or something?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

If/when Donald Trump leaves this glorious primary race he has left his mark on the GOP...

AP-GfK Poll: Trump is hard sell for Hispanics

quote:

Trump is viewed unfavorably by 72 percent of Hispanics, with 6 in 10 having a very unfavorable opinion of him, the AP-GfK poll finds. Only 11 percent view him favorably...

...Among Trump's rivals, Bush, who speaks fluent Spanish and married a Mexican-born woman, is viewed most favorably by Hispanics, with 26 percent giving the former Florida governor a positive rating. Rubio, a Florida senator and Cuban-American, comes in second, with 23 percent viewing him favorably.

Still, both Bush and Rubio are viewed unfavorably by more than one-third of Hispanics polled

How about that Latino outreach! Also congrats to Jeb! for finally being atop the GOP field in a poll!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Montasque posted:

If/when Donald Trump leaves this glorious primary race he has left his mark on the GOP...

AP-GfK Poll: Trump is hard sell for Hispanics

How about that Latino outreach! Also congrats to Jeb! for finally being atop the GOP field in a poll!

Hahaha, their "outreach" was never going to be more than lip service and they even hosed that up tremendously. How do conservative identifying Hispanics tend to vote even? Are they a block that the GOP could realistically court?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
golly I can just feel my excitement for Jeb Bush start to throb

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Ben Carson wants to turn the Department of Education into an investigative body that relies on informants to persecute professors for speech crimes.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/carson-sketches-out-plan-monitoring-campus-speech?cid=sm_fb_maddow

quote:

To briefly recap, the retired right-wing neurosurgeon argued last week that he doesn’t want to shut down the federal Department of Education; he’d prefer to turn it into an investigatory body in which it would “monitor our institutions of higher education for extreme political bias.” If a Carson administration decided it disapproved of the “extreme” political speech on a university campus, the school would lose its federal funding.

On NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Chuck Todd tried to pin Carson down on this bizarre plan. The GOP candidate – currently, a top tier contender – insisted, “This is not just spouting off; I’ve thought about this.” What a relief.

CARSON: The way that works is you invite students at the universities to send in their complaints, and then you investigate. For instance, there was a university – I’m sure you’ve heard of the situation – where, you know, the professor told everybody, “Take out a piece of paper and write the name ‘Jesus’ on it. Put in on the floor and stomp on it.” And one student refused to do that and was disciplined severely. You know, he subsequently was able to be reinstated–

TODD: We’re not violating the First Amendment? How is what you’re advocating not a violation of the First Amendment?

CARSON: It’s not a violation of the First Amendment, because all I’m saying is taxpayer funding should not be used for propaganda. It shouldn’t be.

Reminded that Carson’s definition of “propaganda” might look like “free speech” to others, the Republican replied, in a bit of a non-sequitur, “Well, that’s why I said we’re going to have the students send in. And we will investigate.”

In other words, Ben Carson envisions a system in which students report professors to government authorities, who will launch investigations to determine whether the scholars’ lesson plans meet with a Republican administration’s speech standards. Schools that fall short will face punishment.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

1. He gets bored.
3. Voting starts.

I agree with your larger argument re: Trump's overall chances and longevity in this race, but I'm increasingly thinking he'll stay in long enough to see Jeb!'s final collapse and exit. Of course, that might not take all that long so it may be a moot point.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Yes, those are actual lines written by an autistic person who the other day said you should just go ahead and vote for Trump.

Those hot lines from his new ebook?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Phlegmish posted:

Smoothrich turning on Trump is a sign that the latter is slowly but surely turning into a serious, respectable candidate.

Boosted's even tempered facts driven take down of Carson really spells out how bad of a candidate he is.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

I believe he might also do relatively well in a poll among Bush family members.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Smoothrich posted:

You mean "neurosurgeon"?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Carson will never ever be president.

Cruz has a better shot imo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Stoat posted:

HOLY poo poo YES please get him the gently caress out of TX US Senate seat so he can run for prez and crash in about 35 states.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Stoat posted:

Carson will never ever be president.

Great choice of words in relation to Cruz' chances.

Pretty sure he plans on using the LBJ path to the Presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Is this a Jeb quote? Is he a Catholic?

He converted to Catholicism because his wife insisted on it.

• Locked thread