Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Smoothrich, I REALLY like Ben Carson on a personal level but he, to this point at least, is not running a serious campaign or making serious proposals.

A 10% flat tax based on the principle of tithing is not a serious proposal. Nor is it something that congress would even vote on much less pass into law in a million years.

Getting rid of Medicare entirely and replacing it with HSAs is not a serious proposal. Nor is it something that congress would even vote on much less pass into law in a million years.

Shutting down your presidential campaign to go on book tour is not a move serious campaigns make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Carson pulling ahead right before the next debate is hopefully going to make for a particularly delicious debate.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The Nastier Nate posted:

In 2007 Hillary was the defacto nominee for months and months, until Obama started catching on, democrats saw him as viable and endorsements started snowballing. Then he won the primary and general in a landslide,

Uh, Obama trailed Hillary in endorsements for nearly the entire length of the primaries.

Boosted_C5 posted:

Shutting down your presidential campaign to go on book tour is not a move serious campaigns make.

He didn't actually do that. He had to keep expenditures separate because campaign funds and unrelated promotional tours can't be mixed, but he never shuttered the campaign.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Trump vs Carson
Boosted_c5 vs smoothrich

Whoever wins, we lose.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 27, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It sounds like you made a lot of progress while in jail and maybe you should spend some more time there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Fuschia tude posted:

He didn't actually do that. He had to keep expenditures separate because campaign funds and unrelated promotional tours can't be mixed, but he never shuttered the campaign.

But he wasn't "campaigning". He wasn't sucking corn and guzzling maple syrup or whatever it is that serious candidates have to do, he was spending time in states that buy and read books, have large populations, and have little to no influence in the actual presidential election process; therefore, not a serious campaign.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
See, even a literal Trump Avatar admits that he loves Ben Carson. He's just so likable on a personal level, which is what many people end up voting on in the booth. It makes him a Real Contender in this Primary. Medicare seems like it won't exist for Millennials at all either way and everyone just lies that its "doing fine" as the greedy baby boomers bankrupt our nation as their last gently caress You, Got Mine before dying out and leaving America in ruins.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Just in time for a Carson surge!

Top Carson Aide Wants Taxpayers To Fund Farrakhan

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

It sounds like you made a lot of progress while in jail and maybe you should spend some more time there.

As much as I dislike smoothrich, that's a low blow and exactly the kind of thing I hate about society's treatment of ex cons.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Taeke posted:

As much as I dislike smoothrich, that's a low blow and exactly the kind of thing I hate about society's treatment of ex cons.

You're right. This is why we have a civil commitment process.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If you get arrested for anything you end up in jail until you can pay bail, it's a massive scam on poor people, not just black people. I'm not some hardened criminal, they just gently caress you over to steal your money as a "poor tax" in Obama's America

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Smoothrich posted:

If you get arrested for anything you end up in jail until you can pay bail, it's a massive scam on poor people, not just black people. I'm not some hardened criminal, they just gently caress you over to steal your money as a "poor tax" in Obama's America

Lol hate to break it to ya but this predates Obama big time

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Actually, Boosted_C5 is a good poster

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

I think its kinda cool how obvious you can see the racist voter realignment after the civil rights act.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
please stop engaging with smoothrich

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Oh, here's another one:

Top Carson aide gave thousands to Democrats

quote:

Ben Carson likes to tell audiences that he used to be a Democrat, and that his views have changed dramatically over time. His communications director, however, is a more complicated story.

Doug Watts has given more than $5,000 to Democratic candidates at the state and federal level over the past decade -- but not a penny to national Republicans, according to public records from the Federal Election Commission and the California Secretary of State. Watts even contributed $1,000 to Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer in her 2010 victory over Carly Fiorina.

Wonder who's leaking all this? When Trump does it it's pretty obvious as he posts it on twitter and it then ends up on Breitbart... this is someone else.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Epic High Five posted:

Lol hate to break it to ya but this predates Obama big time

The root of any American problem is whenever people discover it. Smoothrich realized racism and poverty existed in 2009 and correctly linked it to the election of that dastardly Obama.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the hell happened in 1984 :psyduck:

Carter's Vice President won the Democratic nomination, and selected a woman as his running mate.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Do It Once Right posted:

I both love and hate my stupid silly country.

http://www.fec.gov/press/resources/2016presidential_form2nm.shtml

click the link, read the truth. A$$, DAT PHAT.

A$$, DAT PHAT.
A$$, DAT PHAT.
A$$, DAT PHAT.

World Star.

I'm personally writing in Buddy The Elf

EDIT: I really appreciate the strong effort Smoothrich and Boosted put into this thread.

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 27, 2015

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Yadoppsi posted:

I think its kinda cool how obvious you can see the racist voter realignment after the civil rights act.

Jimmy Carter won the Confederate states but he was incompetent so he was booted out of office for the GOP's principled leadership, it stopped being about racism long ago. Racism was just a Democrat invention to justify owning human slaves for wealth.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Smoothrich posted:

Jimmy Carter won the Confederate states but he was incompetent so he was booted out of office for the GOP's principled leadership, it stopped being about racism long ago. Racism was just a Democrat invention to justify owning human slaves for wealth.

That's why one of Reagan's early campaign stops in 1980 was to Philadelphia, MS, to give a speech on states' rights.

History!

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Pohl posted:

That's an interesting bug...

Ok, now it works. Very weird.

Obama's like my yo-yo that glowed in the dark

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Smoothrich posted:

Which election did it stop being about racism?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Smoothrich posted:

As a Georgian, gently caress you.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Smoothrich posted:

What an enchanted world you live in

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

I'm willing to believe that Trump is playing by his own rules this cycle, and the surge->scrutiny->decline cycle we saw in 2012 doesn't apply to him, even though he still won't be the nominee.

How do you see his decline working? What's the actual mechanism that'll propel Rubio or Bush or whoever into the lead once the powers that be finally decide to back them solidly? Genuine question.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

a shameful boehner posted:

please stop engaging with smoothrich

please this

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Jeb needs to marry Supergirl now. There's no way around it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Carson better bring his A-Game to the next debate and only take one Ativan

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Peel posted:

How do you see his decline working? What's the actual mechanism that'll propel Rubio or Bush or whoever into the lead once the powers that be finally decide to back them solidly? Genuine question.

Trump's success seems largely built on a few traits
1) His enthusiasm for the process
2) His unusual ability to make openly negative messaging work with some people
3) His ability to control messaging and keep momentum

His decline will come about when these three falter. His negative messaging has misfired a couple times, most notably against Fiorina in the 2nd debate. He walked it back, and in the process looked more like a scolded bully shrinking under the spotlight of pressure than a truth-telling no-shits-giving firebrand. He recovered because Fiorina was bad at this thing and like hell any of the other candidates were going to stick their necks out for her, so that misstep went away and he could regain his footing by leading the charge against other candidates.

He's in a target rich environment, but as the field thins, he'll have fewer and fewer revelations to add, and his negative messaging machine will slow. His momentum will slow. He'll get visibly frustrated and bored with the whole enterprise as someone else (Rubio, say) slowly ascends in the polls after the establish coalesce around him.

He'll have made his mark, built up his name and prominence, and he'll back out to go write another book and bask in the publicity of the guy who didn't lose, but instead chose to walk away from the corrupt establishment.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Joementum posted:

I'm willing to believe that Trump is playing by his own rules this cycle, and the surge->scrutiny->decline cycle we saw in 2012 doesn't apply to him, even though he still won't be the nominee.

But I think it's definitely what's happening with Carson, and what happened with Fiorina. My guess is it'll be Cruz's turn next.

I'd say the next two up after Carson are Rubio and Cruz. The talk radio guys have already shifted their stance on Rubio(all but Levin that is.) Most of them are now lumping Rubio in with Trump/Carson/Cruz as "outsider conservatives."

I can see Rubio winning this in the end the same way Ryan won speaker - He's a compromise that favors the establishment, but still a compromise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The next debate is tonight / Tuesday night?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smoothrich posted:

Ben Carson doesn't speak with insults, he speaks with experience from rising through every socioeconomic level in America guided with both Christian values and Scientific methods as a morally infallible reformist. He's some kind of unstoppable force if he takes over the narrative.

He generally doesn't speak at all.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The next debate is tonight / Tuesday night?

It's tomorrow/Wednesday, 8 PM eastern.

H5N1
Mar 8, 2005

heil satan
I can't believe how excited I am about the Jeb campaign!

H5N1 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 18, 2016

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

He generally doesn't speak at all.

At best be mumbles/whimpers, but only when spoken to directly.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

H5N1 posted:

Jeb has rebooted his campaign.

An intern asked him "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

H5N1 posted:

Jeb has rebooted his campaign. It is ever more joyful and my excitement about it is even more unbelievable!

It's now Jeb!! instead of just Jeb! The extra ! connotes enthusiasm!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't see how Rubio positioning himself as an outsider conservative could last longer than one of his rivals for that position mentioning immigration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

Oh, here's another one:

Top Carson aide gave thousands to Democrats

Wonder who's leaking all this? When Trump does it it's pretty obvious as he posts it on twitter and it then ends up on Breitbart... this is someone else.

I wouldn't spend too much time attacking Carson if I were Trump. He'll come crashing down on his own. Trump should start getting ready to savage Rubio.

• Locked thread