Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Muauahahahahhahaha but the treaty said nothing about felt-tip!

the joke's on them, artificial singularities do bad things when you get a felt-tip pen nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Klingons used a pencil.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Klingons used a pencil.

The Federation spent $10,000,000 developing the space pen to work in zero gravity!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So I've been moving through the treks and I'm onto Voyager because I hate myself. Some assorted thoughts as I passively let season 4 occur:

- so much squandered potential with so many glimpses of how it could've been amazing. The Borg add-ons to the ship and the decay from the year of hell should've found a way to stick around because it looks badass. I wanted to see the ship get turned into this hybridized hulking mess by now.

- Neelix can go at anytime and I wouldn't be upset

-flashes of serialization a la deep space 9 which make it intriguing and then they just lose the thread for an alien of the week ep.

-this show kind super sucks and nostalgia from watching it after school back in the day definitely doesn't hold up.

Deep Space 9 > TNG > Voyager

Still need to watch Enterprise (lol) and TOS. Light a candle for me goons, I'm gonna die drinking kanar with Damar.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You wont manage to make it through Enterprise if Voy is giving you this much bile. Enterprise is abysmal and so far out of the vein of the 90's style treks that its like watching some moribund, Danish-Australian co-produced sci-fi show made through co-financing through their national broadcasters. Oh wait I just described Farscape. Still, just watch Farscape instead.

And skip TOS and watch Animated TOS.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 27, 2015

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I thought the last episode of Voyager was pretty kickass if not unnecessarily convoluted. It could have occurred 2 seasons earlier and not a single plot point would have to be changed.

Basically voyager should have been shortened to 2 seasons max and it would have bee much better.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

brannon braga dies in a car accident and ronald moore is forced to step in and run voyager

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

You wont manage to make it through Enterprise if Voy is giving you this much bile. Enterprise is abysmal and so far out of the vein of the 90's style treks that its like watching some moribund, Danish-Australian co-produced sci-fi show made through co-financing through their national broadcasters. Oh wait I just described Farscape. Still, just watch Farscape instead.

:eyepop:

TOS is still the best star trek show.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nurge posted:

:eyepop:

TOS is still the best star trek show.

This, but to be fair TAS owns and everyone should see it

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

TEAYCHES posted:

brannon braga dies in a car accident and ronald moore is forced to step in and run voyager

Stop taunting us from your better mirror universe

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Higgy posted:

So I've been moving through the treks and I'm onto Voyager because I hate myself. Some assorted thoughts as I passively let season 4 occur:

- so much squandered potential with so many glimpses of how it could've been amazing. The Borg add-ons to the ship and the decay from the year of hell should've found a way to stick around because it looks badass. I wanted to see the ship get turned into this hybridized hulking mess by now.

- Neelix can go at anytime and I wouldn't be upset

-flashes of serialization a la deep space 9 which make it intriguing and then they just lose the thread for an alien of the week ep.

-this show kind super sucks and nostalgia from watching it after school back in the day definitely doesn't hold up.

Deep Space 9 > TNG > Voyager

Still need to watch Enterprise (lol) and TOS. Light a candle for me goons, I'm gonna die drinking kanar with Damar.

All of these opinions are correct and proper.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Enterprise is okay. It's a hell of a lot better than Voyager for sure. It suffers from a lot of *wink wink nudge nudge* this is what really happened or here is the origin of this idea bullshit that literally ever prequel ever made suffers from. And it's got a lot of star trek fatigue since these poor bastards have been writing star trek like their entire adult lives by this point. Season 1 and 2 start off slow, again, like every other star trek ever made, but it does pick up. Everyone loves the poo poo out of season 4, which is great overall, but it does start with one the dumbest episodes of the series. It's really the only trek where the ship feels and looks like a real ship, with a sense of scale and you can see how people could be living inside it, instead of just a cool model they ship a clip of that's unrelated to scenes inside.

DS9 > TNG > ENT > > > VOY

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Incorrect. Just like Janeway is the best captain, Voyager is the best trek.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

angerbeet posted:

this post has a goatee

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

angerbeet posted:

i just said WTF, IRL

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Voyager isnt even the best trek with Harry Kim in it.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Monkey Fracas posted:

i just said WTF, IRL

You got trolled dude.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

You got trolled dude.

I didn't believe it but the very thought was so offensive to me that I couldn't stop myself

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Enterprise was cool because the inside of the ship is like a submarine or something, and everything serves a purpose and cargo is actually secured. Also the uniforms are functional and have pockets.

End of compliments.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Uh, you're forgetting Shran, aka, best part of Enterprise there buddy

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

chaosbreather posted:

Uh, you're forgetting T'Pol's tits, aka, best part of Enterprise there buddy

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

chaosbreather posted:

Uh, you're forgetting T'Pol's tits, aka, the only good part of Enterprise there buddy

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

Uh, you're forgetting T'Pol's tits, aka, best part of Enterprise there buddy

Why does a Vulcan have breast implants?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The alien doctor on enterprise was one of the best alien crew members. Alien and jolly, but somehow not annoying.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange Sunshine posted:

Why does a Vulcan have breast implants?

She's a spy. That's where she stores her spy stuff.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Sunshine posted:

These people aren't missing any meals, but they've missed the IQ train. And they're not going away in your 24th century future, they're still there, eating and breeding and buying lottery tickets.

As to curing psychological conditions, I see no evidence of that in Star Trek. Nobody managed to cure Barclay, and numerous seasons of watching Counselor Troi nag people to talk about their feelings doesn't lead me to believe they know anything more than we do about human psychology.

Its been always my theory that after the problems with Tucker on the original Enterprise the Federation culled such population. I mean they just kind of disappear. When they encounter the drunk Irishmen on TNG they seem really surprised by their existence.

Angela Christine posted:

The alien doctor on enterprise was one of the best alien crew members. Alien and jolly, but somehow not annoying.

He also openly advocated genocide so that another race on a planet would get a leg up.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Crowsbeak posted:

Its been always my theory that after the problems with Tucker on the original Enterprise the Federation culled such population. I mean they just kind of disappear. When they encounter the drunk Irishmen on TNG they seem really surprised by their existence.

I thought the Xindi took care of that for them? http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Xindi_incident

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

What problems with Tucker. Tucker was way better than most of the Enterprise crew. Tucker would've made a way better captain than Archer.

Also Tucker boned an alien chick and that's basically the star trek definition of enlightened.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

So what's the deal with Keiko and O'Brien? Did he come back from that 20 years in mind prison too different from the man she fell in love with or did like the actress want more money than the show would pay; so the writers had to scramble?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

bobthedinosaur posted:

So what's the deal with Keiko and O'Brien? Did he come back from that 20 years in mind prison too different from the man she fell in love with or did like the actress want more money than the show would pay; so the writers had to scramble?

Just how much suffering did you want to inflict on the poor guy?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

What problems with Tucker. Tucker was way better than most of the Enterprise crew. Tucker would've made a way better captain than Archer.

Also Tucker boned an alien chick and that's basically the star trek definition of enlightened.

Tucker and a crew of Tucker-esque characters with the "straight man" in First Officer Marholm Reed would have been a better show.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

As you can see, the real deal with O'Brien is that he's Sisko's chief engineer. He's in his forties, is married, and currently resides on Deep Space Nine. Thanks for writing!

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I forget, did Phlox get cucked by his wife with Tucker or not? Maybe that's the big change humanity makes.

I liked the scenes where they were giggling at Tucker for being awkward and a weenie who wouldn't gently caress a poly alien.

Rattus Amicus
Mar 8, 2007

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Ya know - Kirstie Alley did come back for Star Trek IV. She wasn't playing Saavik though - SHE PLAYED ONE OF THE WHALES :boom:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

1982 Kirstie Alley tho, yowza.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

superjew posted:

I forget, did Phlox get cucked by his wife with Tucker or not? Maybe that's the big change humanity makes.

I liked the scenes where they were giggling at Tucker for being awkward and a weenie who wouldn't gently caress a poly alien.

No tucker refused to gently caress the good doctors wife. Personally I think that's disgraceful.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Very rude in my opinion. It's like travelling abroad and refusing food offered by the locals.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bobthedinosaur posted:

"the deal" is that ron moore is a grinch who can only depict relationships as miserably dysfunctional

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs-_6ky5qwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

Very rude in my opinion. It's like travelling abroad and refusing food offered by the locals.

:agreed:

If I was Flox I would have been so pissed off at Tucker for rejecting my wife's advances I wouldn't have invited him to the annual camping trip I go on with my wives other husbands.

• Locked thread