Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Woolie Wool posted:

No, it's terrible, it somehow manages to be worse than the Boredom Pie persuasion minigame from Oblivion. If you want me to read giant infodumps, have the character hand me a book or have a BioWare-style codex and just have him mention Lord Vivec and then the game gives me a pop-up that a codex entry about Vivec has been unlocked to read whenever I want.

It was good in Morrowind because as you talked to people the conversation options expanded.

You'd ask about their city, which would give you options to ask about who is in charge, which would give you options to ask where you can get a job and be directed with instructions like "Next to the inn, on the river bank". You needed to read and understand the world because there wasn't things like compasses or objective markers to point you in the right direction.

In say DA:I it was like ASK ABOUT DIVINE *ADDED CODEX: DIVINE DUDE* "oh he's over there, he likes marshmallows" *objective marker added: tell divine you know about his passion for sugary pillows*. Which was nice if you didn't care about the fluff but didn't really add depth to gameplay because any info in the Codex would be irrelevant in order to ensure that people who didn't wanna read the 5 paragraphs of text weren't missing out where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Honestly the Point Lookout hillbillies seem to have the post-apocalyptic lifestyle pretty figured out. Grow radiation-resistant fruits, make moonshine, dance hootenannys, and kill anyone who isn't you.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Final Fantasy talk reminded me of this, related to the Odin boss fight in III:
"In the 3D version, this is also the only opportunity in the game to obtain the spear Gungnir, the most powerful weapon until the end of the game, with the class-mastery weapons and the Ultima Weapon. The spear can only be stolen by a Thief with a Job level of 71 or higher. The weapon also has a 2% chance of being dropped, giving the player the ability to obtain two Gungnirs."

Which is actually fine, because no sane person would level the Thief job on a single character that much anyway.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ryoshi posted:

They're not even specific, one of them is in a room full of chests and the forbidden one changes game to game.

E: but I swear there was an alternate way to farm for it as like a 1/256 drop in the late endgame.

How the hell does someone come across that in the first place? Like how does johnny average even stumble across something so immensely vague just to be able to tell everyone else about it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As far as I know they specifically do that sort of thing to sell guides. Like, in the old days when video game mags had cheat sections (when there were video game mags period :() and you'd see stuff like "for a level select press this 16 step nonrepeating button combo while plugged in port 2" and you'd go "who on earth stumbled across that"; most likely given to the mag by the publisher, either as a review aid or to generate some buzz.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

My Lovely Horse posted:

As far as I know they specifically do that sort of thing to sell guides. Like, in the old days when video game mags had cheat sections (when there were video game mags period :() and you'd see stuff like "for a level select press this 16 step nonrepeating button combo while plugged in port 2" and you'd go "who on earth stumbled across that"; most likely given to the mag by the publisher, either as a review aid or to generate some buzz.

Ahh well that makes a lot of sense, I used to wonder how that worked when I was a kid, and yeah it sucks that gaming mags are pointless, I used to have hundreds of cheat books and guides, there was always some bullshit code as a kid that you KNEW was bullshit but you'd still try it out 50 times.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I liked FFX's mechanics but hated its art direction and I liked FFXII's art direction but hated its mechanics. Somewhere between the two is an FF game I would enjoy.

I don't like how XII tied MP to every special ability. And I'm not too fond of the license board over the sphere grid.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Unthankfully, the Zodiac Job system is Japan only. I'm grateful today that any game worth it's salt shows up on Steam with the Director's Cut either cheap or free.

PS2 emulation is really easy nowadays with a half decent computer and a translation patch exists for the zodiac job system release. I reccomend it, I can never go back to vanilla FF12.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To be honest, I do prefer the Bioware option.

One thing dragging Witcher 3 down. Not being able to gently caress up the crones the second after you meet them. Geralt just stands there and growls at them for a minute instead of just drawing silver and starting to hack at the fuckers.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Josef bugman posted:

To be honest, I do prefer the Bioware option.

One thing dragging Witcher 3 down. Not being able to gently caress up the crones the second after you meet them. Geralt just stands there and growls at them for a minute instead of just drawing silver and starting to hack at the fuckers.

Yeah, they build the Crones to be some impossible menace that would assuredly destroy Geralt, but never really show the Crones to actually have that kind of power.

Ciri defeats all three because she is way more powerful than Geralt, granted. But if you do the bad ending and Geralt goes back to finish the last one, she's not exceptionally difficult at all

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EmmyOk posted:

XII Is criminally underrated though and I am holding off on a new playthrough for the inevitable HD re-release! One thing I didn't like though were the guns. They never missed but they were all so weak or at least compared to the available weapons of other types.

I loved 12 too but I hated that you couldn't invert the y axis in your controls. As someone who always plays inverted it was incredibly hard to get used too.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

kazil posted:

Yeah, they build the Crones to be some impossible menace that would assuredly destroy Geralt, but never really show the Crones to actually have that kind of power.

Ciri defeats all three because she is way more powerful than Geralt, granted. But if you do the bad ending and Geralt goes back to finish the last one, she's not exceptionally difficult at all

The Crones were afraid of the giant elf dude boss who killed Vesemir and you deal with him without special Ciri powers. So they just aren't as powerful as people had been led to believe.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I loved 12 too but I hated that you couldn't invert the y axis in your controls. As someone who always plays inverted it was incredibly hard to get used too.

I am the opposite I like my X axis to be inverted! Or at least I think I do. You are right that that's a dumb option to not have! In Kingdom Hearts Final Mix they added in a player movable camera but it is not very precise and tends to swirl around drunkenly. Better than the static cam from the original though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

MrJacobs posted:

The Crones were afraid of the giant elf dude boss who killed Vesemir and you deal with him without special Ciri powers. So they just aren't as powerful as people had been led to believe.

So just going "oh its on" and hacking at them should be an option the second they make themselves visible. loving them up should be the foremost job of anyone who happens to like dry land and a lack of cannibalism.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Oct 27, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Initially he needed their help to find Ciri which is probably why he didn't gently caress them up first thing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dunno, to be honest, I think I'd argue that stuff like level select codes are leftover debug tools that the developers used to skip straight to new levels to test them or test other objects that you can't just skip straight to. Games way back in the day were so tightly packed that removing functions and features, even unused ones, could be disastrous so it was a lot safer to ship with the debug tools hidden away by some secret combination known only to the developers, which were then sold to magazines and the like to generate sales. That's what I think, anyway.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
In Dynasty Warriors 4 you had to do some arcane poo poo to unlock final weapons for some characters. Zhou Tai's weapon required you to do a mission and fight this one guy well over ten times as he appeared on the map. There's no way of knowing this, like you'll never be told why it has to be this character to do this mission to unlock this weapon, so thank goodness GameFAQs. In DW5 all you have to do is reach a certain number of kills to unlock the weapon. It's good that you're guaranteed the weapon, but the requirement is grindy and not as fun as having to do a mission to unlock it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

Maybe until you realize that one cultivation of plants is like 5000-10000 gmp. Money in MGSV is pretty easy.

Having to run around gathering weeds by the handful when your character is the leader of a large and well funded private army is another weird and stupid thing that seems to be popular lately. You'd think big boss could just say "I want carrots and tarragon" and some flunky would be able to arrange a virtually unlimited supply chain of carrots and tarragon. The Inquisitor from Dragon Age shouldn't have to personally cultivate common herbs in a comically tiny garden.

I guess MGSV lets you send out a few squads of dudes to fight a pitched battle for carrots, but they'll come back after 20 minutes with an amount Big Boss could have gathered in 40 seconds and Noxious Bonobo will have died in the effort.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I believe Japanese developers only want to troll 100--percenters.

Cavia does for sure. To get the True Ending in most of their games you have to get all the weapons and, if I'm remembering right, upgrade them to the max level. In Drakengard and its sequels this is not only an incredibly mind numbing task but a lot of the weapons are hidden in hosed up obscure places like "go to one specific map, wait five minutes and run to a room you have literally no reason to go to because there's nothing there, and a chest will spawn containing a useless sword" kind of poo poo. There was also one achievement in Nier that was 100% RNG. You could grow flowers, a completely pointless task but it was neat. You bred the flowers into different colors and very, very rarely you could get a white one that came with an achivement. Flowers grew in real time. People put their PS3 clocks years ahead in gradual flower growth increments and still never got the drat thing just because of bad luck.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

It was good in Morrowind because as you talked to people the conversation options expanded.

You'd ask about their city, which would give you options to ask about who is in charge, which would give you options to ask where you can get a job and be directed with instructions like "Next to the inn, on the river bank". You needed to read and understand the world because there wasn't things like compasses or objective markers to point you in the right direction.

In say DA:I it was like ASK ABOUT DIVINE *ADDED CODEX: DIVINE DUDE* "oh he's over there, he likes marshmallows" *objective marker added: tell divine you know about his passion for sugary pillows*. Which was nice if you didn't care about the fluff but didn't really add depth to gameplay because any info in the Codex would be irrelevant in order to ensure that people who didn't wanna read the 5 paragraphs of text weren't missing out where to go.

Well actually I was thinking about Mass Effect 1 where I actually did care about the fluff because it was interesting and they put effort into it, but they didn't want to break the flow of conversation, so they used the codex to expand on the world in much greater detail than they could otherwise. In Morrowind I never get the feeling that I'm talking to a person, which is the primary purpose of dialogue in video games. Even Skyrim can manage that...sometimes. Morrowind is a big highly detailed world without any people in it, just legends and exposition dispensers.

I mean, I could get detailed information on local services and attractions from town guards and even Ordinators, and the Ordinator who calls you "scum" and threatens you in his greeting dialogue gives the same answer as everybody else. The personality is just a thin veneer over a help desk, even if the character in question should not be inclined to help you at all.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Oct 27, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The MGSV stuff is so annoying because it's the kind of resource gating that only exists to pad out playtime and drive microtransactions. The actual gameplay is awesome but all the base-building stuff is basically a cellphone meter-filling game bolted on top of it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Unthankfully, the Zodiac Job system is Japan only. I'm grateful today that any game worth it's salt shows up on Steam with the Director's Cut either cheap or free.

Supposedly its coming to the west, someone spotted a listing for a strategy guide for it in some other Squeenix thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Moon Monster posted:

Having to run around gathering weeds by the handful when your character is the leader of a large and well funded private army is another weird and stupid thing that seems to be popular lately. You'd think big boss could just say "I want carrots and tarragon" and some flunky would be able to arrange a virtually unlimited supply chain of carrots and tarragon. The Inquisitor from Dragon Age shouldn't have to personally cultivate common herbs in a comically tiny garden.

This really annoys me in Skyrim, especially when I've got a steward who can just order in more wood, stone or clay for me, but for some reason I've got to go out find my own iron, glass, or whatever else. I've got a bunch of minions who'll follow me to the ends of the Earth and into the jaws of death, but I've got to do my own shopping?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This really annoys me in Skyrim, especially when I've got a steward who can just order in more wood, stone or clay for me, but for some reason I've got to go out find my own iron, glass, or whatever else. I've got a bunch of minions who'll follow me to the ends of the Earth and into the jaws of death, but I've got to do my own shopping?

I'm sorry you don't get to be a sedentary shut-in goober in video games.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Who said anything like that? A real gentleman doesn't have time to do his own shopping, his schedule's all booked up killing people, looting anything of value, and oppressing the peasants.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nuebot posted:

Cavia does for sure. To get the True Ending in most of their games you have to get all the weapons and, if I'm remembering right, upgrade them to the max level. In Drakengard and its sequels this is not only an incredibly mind numbing task but a lot of the weapons are hidden in hosed up obscure places like "go to one specific map, wait five minutes and run to a room you have literally no reason to go to because there's nothing there, and a chest will spawn containing a useless sword" kind of poo poo. There was also one achievement in Nier that was 100% RNG. You could grow flowers, a completely pointless task but it was neat. You bred the flowers into different colors and very, very rarely you could get a white one that came with an achivement. Flowers grew in real time. People put their PS3 clocks years ahead in gradual flower growth increments and still never got the drat thing just because of bad luck.

Neir also has an ending that deletes your save completely. Hope you finished 100%ing before getting that ending.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Neir also has an ending that deletes your save completely. Hope you finished 100%ing before getting that ending.

To get it you pretty much have to 100% the game though. Oh and here's another one, about Nier. The game is divided into two parts like Ocarina of Time's young and adult link bits, except you can't go between them at will. There are separate achievements for beating the first part's bosses under certain times but the only way to replay the first bit is to start a new game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Silly Tiggum, delegation of tasks is for RTSes not RPGs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Crafting is optional, just steal armour from your enemies and drink potions you find on the floor in bottles marked POISON

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't know if this counts since I love the game to bits, but I forgot that in Burnout: Paradise, getting your Burnout license isn't the end of the game. To get the Burnout Elite License you need to beat every event. To get the Criterion Elite License, you need to beat every event, win two separate events on each road in the game, and find every breakable/collectible/jump in the game.

Is it a Dragging Down Thing to realize you have so much more to do?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Tiggum posted:

Divinity 2 was pretty good about this, once you get your Battle Tower you get these dudes you can send out to collect crafting materials for you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MisterBibs posted:

I don't know if this counts since I love the game to bits, but I forgot that in Burnout: Paradise, getting your Burnout license isn't the end of the game. To get the Burnout Elite License you need to beat every event. To get the Criterion Elite License, you need to beat every event, win two separate events on each road in the game, and find every breakable/collectible/jump in the game.

No, the dragging it down is how it took them a year to figure out "Oh yeah, when you lose an event you probably don't want to have to drive back to the point of origin to restart it".

Also, I got burnt out (Ha. Ha.) over how many times the game sends me out to that drat observatory in the mountains. I get it, its far and has winding streets, but I hated having to drive back to the city to do more races.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you have that brain disease where forraging for bullshit is fun you can play Minecraft or Rust but keep that poo poo out of real games tia.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He wasn't talking about a real game, he was talking about Skyrim.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lizard Wizard posted:

i don't want to do that in video games when i'm already doing it irl. it'll be that penny arcade sims comic all over again.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I have everything else done but there's no way I'm going to do those two events on every single road. Way too tedious.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I guess MGSV lets you send out a few squads of dudes to fight a pitched battle for carrots, but they'll come back after 20 minutes with an amount Big Boss could have gathered in 40 seconds and Noxious Bonobo will have died in the effort.

I have literally never ran out of plants and I haven't picked any up since the first few hours of gameplay. I have thousands upon thousands of each one from the dispatch missions. The only limited resource is fuel and even then I am only two platforms short of a full base.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tiggum posted:

There's a similar thing in the two boat Assassin's Creed games (Black Flag and Rogue) where you need wood, cloth, metal and stone to upgrade your ship but for some reason you can't just go to a port and buy some. Instead you can only get it by attacking other ships. The games let you buy out of collecting animal skins for your personal upgrades but not the boat ones.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

EmmyOk posted:

I have literally never ran out of plants and I haven't picked any up since the first few hours of gameplay. I have thousands upon thousands of each one from the dispatch missions. The only limited resource is fuel and even then I am only two platforms short of a full base.

I didn't have enough plants to upgrade the final level of a tranq sniper rifle and fuel is such a huge bottle neck even with two fully upgraded "Base Development" platforms. It's not so much getting fuel as it is refining it seems super slow.

But none of that gets in the way of me kidnapping hunks and dogs so I don't care too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ChogsEnhour posted:

I didn't have enough plants to upgrade the final level of a tranq sniper rifle and fuel is such a huge bottle neck even with two fully upgraded "Base Development" platforms. It's not so much getting fuel as it is refining it seems super slow.

But none of that gets in the way of me kidnapping hunks and dogs so I don't care too much.

Yeah I have enough fuel to buy what I want but it's locked away behind refinement. I feel like refinement should be a bit faster.

Kidnapping hunks with good butts is essential