Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Aesop Poprock posted:

Err weird question but... on a scale of one to ten how offended would you be if I put my dick in your pocket and later claimed that was you saying you wanted to marry me

I'm married.

Anyways, here's a clusterfuck: Ronan Point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

quote:

the assumptions made in determining the revised wind loading were inadequate, in that they assumed all windows were closed. However, if the glass in a window had broken, or somebody had gone out leaving a window open, a wall panel could suffer pressure on one side and suction on the other, to an extent that the panels on the upper levels of the building might still be sucked out
that construction defects (failure to build as designed), had left unfilled gaps between floors and walls throughout, hidden only by skirting boards and ceiling paper, which left the building without fire separation (or acoustic separation) between flats. Tall blocks of flats in the UK are permitted relatively narrow staircases because the requirement for full fire separation between floors means that it is actually safer for people above the fire to stay in their flats rather than walk down the stairs. Without fire separation, all people above would need to escape, which would not be possible in the existing narrow staircases.
that further construction defects had led to the whole weight supported by each wall panel being supported off the panel beneath by two steel rods, instead of being spread evenly along the panel, leading to extremely high stresses that the concrete was not designed to withstand
that the strengthening brackets which had been fitted during the rebuilding were in many cases not properly attached, since they were fastened to hollow-core slabs, and in many cases they had been bolted only to the thin concrete surrounding the cores, which was inadequate to take the stress.[4]

Khazar-khum has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Oct 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Khazar-khum posted:

Anyways, here's a clusterfuck: Ronan Point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronan_Point

The best part:

quote:

At approximately 5:45 am on 16 May 1968, resident Ivy Hodge went into her kitchen in flat 90, a corner flat on the 18th floor of the building, and lit a match to light the stove for a cup of tea. The match sparked a gas explosion that blew out the load-bearing flank walls, removing the structural supports to the four flats above. It is believed that the weakness was in the joints connecting the vertical walls to the floor slabs. The flank walls fell away, leaving the floors above unsupported and causing the progressive collapse of the south-east corner of the building.

The building had just opened, and three of the four flats immediately above Hodge's were unoccupied. Four of the 260 residents were killed immediately and seventeen were injured, including a young mother who was stranded on a narrow ledge when the rest of her living room disappeared. Hodge survived, despite being blown across the room by the explosion—as did her gas stove, which she took to her new address.

Also this demonstrates how small the explosion was that collapsed the corner of the building. That was a brand-new highrise which was just waiting for an excuse to collapse.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thank you for this! Everyone should read this article, absolutely amazing!

E: Messed up formatting.

Freudian slippers has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Oct 24, 2015

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

outlier posted:

I may have encountered the following story in this thread, but it is such an incredible, unbelievable story, it bears repeating for those who haven't encountered it:

American hippopotamus, the unlikely story of two killers, several wars, grand impersonation, a decades-long rivalry and friendship, spies and the plan to populate America with hippos.

This sounds like a summary of one of Terry Pratchett's darker works.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Oh thanks I just remembered that mother who wrote into a newspaper or something about how healthy it is that she masturbates her retarded adult son

edit: I guess it was a dad http://www.rdm.co.za/lifestyle/2015/07/02/why-i-m-masturbating-my-disabled-son

quote:

These include The Netherlands, which has a grant scheme through which people with disabilities can receive public money to pay for sexual services up to 12 times a year. In Taiwan, an NGO called Hand Angel trains volunteers to masturbate the disabled.
:lol:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It used to be a lot worse... My boyfriend in high school's mom was a nurse at the state mental hospital in Napa, he discovered an old training video in her office one day.

You can find it on Youtube, it's called "the ABCs of sex education for trainables"

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Henry Molaison has possibly already come up in one of these threads before, but I kind of liked the more personal approach this book review took in describing his fairly unique situation.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/may/05/henry-molaison-amnesiac-corkin-book-feature

quote:

In 1953, a young man named Henry Gustav Molaison, of Hartford, Connecticut, lost his memory and helped to invent neuroscience. Henry Molaison's amnesia was the result of a highly risky "psychosurgical" procedure, an operation designed to cure the debilitating epilepsy he had suffered since childhood. In an attempt to remove the part of the brain that was causing Henry's fits, two holes were drilled in the front of his skull and a portion of his brain, the front half of the hippocampus on both sides, and most of the almond-shaped amygdala, was sucked out. The procedure, hopeful at best, went badly wrong and Henry, then aged 27, was left with no ability to store or retrieve new experiences. He lived the subsequent 55 years of his life, until his death in 2008, in the permanent present moment.

Henry Molaison's tragedy was, however, perhaps also the single most significant advance in understanding the function of memory made in the past century. Until his operation, it had been believed that memory was a property of the whole brain. The accident of his surgery proved a large part of its capacity to be localised in this one area. The "cleanness" of Henry's amnesia made his brain the perfect subject for study of cognitive function in many other ways, too. After his operation, living first with his parents and later with carers, he became known to science as "HM" to protect his identity. It was through these initials that a young postgraduate researcher called Suzanne Corkin, now professor of behavioural neuroscience and head of the Corkin Lab at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, got to know him.

Their relationship seemed a little bit like fate. When Corkin came across Henry's case in medical journals from the late 1950s, she discovered that their lives had already overlapped in curious ways. She had grown up a couple of miles from him, in Connecticut, and as a child had lived over the road from the surgeon who had operated on Henry's brain; the surgeon's daughter had been her childhood friend. In 1962, as part of her research, Corkin interviewed Henry. Over the next 46 years they spent many days in each other's company, though for Henry, of course, it was always the first time. Corkin has now written a compelling memoir of that bond between scientist and subject, Permanent Present Tense, a relationship which Henry once described neatly: "It's a funny thing – you just live and learn. I'm living and you're learning."

quote:

The striking thing about Henry's memory loss was how specific it was. He forgot all of his experiences after the operation within 30 seconds, but he retained a good deal of the texture of life he knew up until the age of 27. His personality remained intact, he still had above average IQ and language skills, though for more than 50 years he was able to acquire only the tiniest fragments of self-knowledge.

Speaking to Corkin by phone at her lab in Boston, I ask if she has missed Henry since his death. She laughs a little. "I feel that in a way he is not gone," she says. "Partly because I have been writing this book but also because when he died he donated his brain to MIT. So we continue to study him. He has gone but is still very present for us every day."

quote:

One of the fascinating, unsettling impulses in reading Henry's life is that sense of identity being a bundle of all of the stories we tell ourselves about ourselves. Henry loved to relate the few clear memories of his childhood, over and over, though he lacked a context for them and the face he surprised himself with in the mirror each morning did not quite connect with them. Corkin heard those stories many times over the years; every time she left the room for a minute and returned to Henry he introduced himself as if they had never met before, and told the stories again. Some were the family lore of how his father had moved north from Louisiana; others involved going roller skating as a child in the park, taking banjo lessons, driving with his parents along the Mohawk Trail.

quote:

Henry was not capable of learning new information, though his knowledge of past events, the Wall Street Crash, Pearl Harbor and so on, was clear. Only a very few tiny details of TV programmes he watched repetitively ever stuck. He could, however, learn and retain new motor skills, which led to important understanding of the difference between conscious memory and unconscious. The latter category would include learning how to play tennis or ride a bicycle, or even play the piano – things that the brain encodes and transmits to the muscles through conditioning, memories which we come to think of as intuitive.

quote:

As we talk, I wonder if Henry was able to feel things like guilt or regret, emotions with a temporal component. She suggests not, though "he knew that he'd had a brain operation. He knew not many people had had the operation before him. He never used the word 'experiment', but I think he had the sense of himself as that word. Of the original operation, he once said: 'I think they possibly did not make the right movement at the right time.'"

She did not remind Henry of this too often, however, in the same way that it was too painful, after his parents passed away, to have to let him know, as if for the first time, that they were dead. The amnesia was both a prison and a liberation in this sense. His operation had given Henry by default the kind of concentration on the present to which Buddhist meditation might aspire. "He was never sad or depressed," Corkin says, "though I don't think any of us would want to change places with Henry. He had a tragic life and he made the best of it. He showed the world you could be saddled with a tremendous handicap and still make an enormous contribution to life. I found his resilience inspirational."

quote:

I wonder, what are the images of him that come first to the top of her own mind in that curious process of remembering?

She offers three, all pointedly emotional. In the first, during an interview, Henry had gone to the bathroom with a nurse and when he returned she gave him her usual question: have we spoken before, Henry? On this occasion, for whatever reason, he said: "Yes, we were speaking just now." Her second memory is of the last time she saw him, when he was demented and uncomprehending; she stood by him and said who she was, and she had a sense that he turned toward her with a trace of a smile.

The final memory is the oddest of all. "It is when we put his brain on a plane to San Diego," she says. "It was strapped into a seat of its own. I watched the plane take off on its trip across the country and I had this swelling of emotion, remembering Henry and his plane ride. It was the perfect goodbye."

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

xoFcitcrA posted:

Also this demonstrates how small the explosion was that collapsed the corner of the building. That was a brand-new highrise which was just waiting for an excuse to collapse.

My God, that Monty Python sketch was based on real events. https://youtu.be/RicaXxiU1WM

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

So is Locked-in Syndrome real?
As someone who works in the medical field, let me assure you it is 100% real. I think typically it results from traumatic brain injury or hypoxic brain injury and, depending on the area of the brain that is damaged it is definitely possible for a person to only really have physical control over their blinking reflex. Blinking and other reflexes are more likely to remain in a person who has lost the ability to control their own movements which I think may be why that is the one movement they gain control over.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

I have to comment on this.

I have seizures. Afterwards, I usually can't speak. This effect lasts for anywhere from a few minutes to hours. When I do start to speak, I am slow, unsteady, halting as I search for words. The more I speak, the more my ability to do so returns. Within a short time of resuming speech, I am back to normal. I can write, though my handwriting is worse than normal and it takes longer than usual to scrawl out a message.

Scared the hell out of me the first couple of times it happened.

This is seriously the worst part for me. I can deal with the exhaustion and general lack of motor skills but not being able to communicate with people around me is incredibly frustrating.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Regrettable posted:

This is seriously the worst part for me. I can deal with the exhaustion and general lack of motor skills but not being able to communicate with people around me is incredibly frustrating.

What? This is just garbled text.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In 1836, three Scots boys were goofing around. They found a cave full of tiny coffins containing dolls.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/edinburghs-mysterious-miniature-coffins-22371426/?no-ist

Charles Fort posted:

That, early in July, 1836, some boys were searching for rabbits’ burrows in the rocky formation, near Edinburgh, known as Arthur’s Seat. In the side of a cliff, they came upon some thin sheets of slate, which they pulled out.

Little cave.

Seventeen tiny coffins.

Three or four inches long.

In the coffins were miniature wooden figures. They were dressed differently in both style and material. There were two tiers of eight coffins each, and a third one begun, with one coffin.

The extraordinary datum, which has especially made mystery here:

That the coffins had been deposited singly, in the little cave, and at intervals of many years. In the first tier, the coffins were quite decayed, and the wrappings had moldered away. In the second tier, the effects of age had not advanced so far. And the top coffin was quite recent looking.

Since 1836 people have been wondering what the heck was going on. One of the most enticing theories is that the original seventeen coffins (many were destroyed at the time or have vanished since) correspond to the seventeen victims of Burke and Hare, none of whom got proper burial on account of being dissected.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linda_Hazzard

Ironically named, non-doctor woman starves wealthy patients to death. Poetic justic ensues.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In 1836, three Scots boys were goofing around. They found a cave full of tiny coffins containing dolls.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/edinburghs-mysterious-miniature-coffins-22371426/?no-ist

Since 1836 people have been wondering what the heck was going on. One of the most enticing theories is that the original seventeen coffins (many were destroyed at the time or have vanished since) correspond to the seventeen victims of Burke and Hare, none of whom got proper burial on account of being dissected.

This is great. It's less creepy, but I like the theory that it was a kid who was giving his toy soldiers a proper burial whenever they "died" in battle.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS

Here in Switzerland we have legal prostitutes that supply services to disabled people, I think it's awesome.

My cousin has severe CP, is confined to a wheelchair, can't eat on his own, etc. and if he wants a handjob goddammit he should get a handjob. He is able to communicate with a board with images on it, can respond to questions with clear yes and no, and remembers everyone's birthdays, etc. He has a girlfriend who is also severely disabled, but on the whole they're treated much differently here.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Being Halloween this week, Cracked has started putting out some creepy articles. Here is one about creepy stalkers, and here is one about creepy crimes. Enjoy.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think it's pretty awesome. No need to deprive them of sex just because they're disabled.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

What? This is just garbled text.

What the hell is wrong with you?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I do believe it was a joke, on the forums of noted comedy site somethingawful.com

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PYF internet gaslighting techniques

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

outlier posted:

I may have encountered the following story in this thread, but it is such an incredible, unbelievable story, it bears repeating for those who haven't encountered it:

American hippopotamus, the unlikely story of two killers, several wars, grand impersonation, a decades-long rivalry and friendship, spies and the plan to populate America with hippos.

I'm about a third of the way through and all I want to do is eat turkey eggs and try to import some hippos. Wild stuff.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Travis343 posted:

PYF internet gaslighting techniques

Ugh, we just finished doing 6 pages of that! Enough already! Why do you have to monopolize every thread you're in?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

packetmantis posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?

I actually thought it was pretty funny.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sarcopenia posted:

Ironically named, non-doctor woman starves wealthy patients to death. Poetic justic ensues.

Starvation Heights is a book about her sanitarium, specifically the experiences of the Williamson sisters. It gets pretty gruesome and is a very good case for licensing medical professionals.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
This one's more than a little personal to me. The town I live in is... shall we say, famous for all the wrong reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_Death_Trip

And it really hasn't stopped. To this day, there's more murders and suicides in a rural Wisconsin town than the goddamned Twin Cities or Milwaukee. Every week, the paper is full of people dying or getting arrested for bizarre poo poo. The most recent that sticks out is a woman who stabbed herself and called the police, claiming a black guy busted in and tried to steal her PS3 and copy of Final Fantasy. Worthy of note is the fact she somehow had the wherewithal to stab herself with a butter knife over ten times. Let me reiterate that: a butter knife.

It's more than a little spooky here, to be honest. There's constant inexplicably strange sounds in the woods around the nature trail I like to walk. People vanish with such regularity that the bulletin boards in town are swimming with "Have You Seen X?" posters. Kids get pulled out of school because of a mythical "Ho Chunk Death List" that's just fevered racist paranoia that dumbass suburban parents want to believe. It's part white flight gang fear, part urban legend. The story goes that there's a secret hit list circulated among Ho Chunk students at the high school, which contains names of only white students that have pissed off the Ho Chunk nation. Bounties next to the names - the more gruesome the assassination, the higher the payout from some mysterious war chief that has approve the names added to the list and the monetary value for their scalp.

Sometimes, I think the old legends about this land being cursed may have had a ring of truth to them. There's something in the water here that makes people off. Rural America is very same-y, but I've never been anyplace where people were quite as vicious and ready to fall to racism, senseless brutality, and just flat out weird bullshit that happens here.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm sorry to tell you but based on crime statistics, that isn't a universal thing with rural communities. Black River Falls and a few other specific communities are notable for having crime rates higher than Milwaukee which is rather incredible given that Milwaukee itself has a violent crime rate six times that of the rest of the state. As Milwaukee contains about 40% of Wisconsin's population but accounts for nearly 85% of its violent crime, it follows that most of rural Wisconsin is fairly safe.

At least down in Nebraska and Iowa it seems like weirdly huge crime rates spring up in single industry towns. If the only thing keeping a town afloat is one factory, university, or mine there are going to be violent crazies everywhere.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

Those diary entries are worse when you know the writer died at her hand :stare:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SciFri's latest Macroscope seems up this thread's alley: Diary of a Snakebite Death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEyjF2bNQOA

The talking apple
Oct 24, 2005
The MS Estonia, was a cruise ferry which sank in the Baltic Sea on September 28, 1994 and claimed 852 lives.

In December 1994, a diving company, Rockwater A/S, was tasked to investigate why she sank and filmed over 68 hours of footage from divers exploring the multiple decks of the ship.

Some of what Rockwater filmed is available on Youtube.

:nms: for some possible glances of floating bodies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDyQ8WYOg28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suPcxqNOo10

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

The talking apple posted:

The MS Estonia, was a cruise ferry which sank in the Baltic Sea on September 28, 1994 and claimed 852 lives.

In December 1994, a diving company, Rockwater A/S, was tasked to investigate why she sank and filmed over 68 hours of footage from divers exploring the multiple decks of the ship.

Reminds me of China Fever
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria#Deaths

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

The talking apple posted:

Really good long form article on this disaster:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

gently caress..... that is a rough read

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Wow. Holy hell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Professor of Cats posted:

Wow. Holy hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w84HrH9tgLA

Basically it took all of 30 minutes to sink; that article took longer to read than it did to sink.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've read that five or six times over the years - this paragraph always stays with me:

quote:

Survival that night was a very tight race, and savagely simple. People who started early and moved fast had some chance of winning. People who started late or hesitated for any reason had no chance at all. Action paid. Contemplation did not. The mere act of getting dressed was enough to condemn people to death, and although many of those who escaped to the water succumbed to the cold, most of the ultimate winners endured the ordeal completely naked or in their underwear. The survivors all seem to have grasped the nature of this race, the first stage of which involved getting outside to the Deck 7 promenade without delay. There was no God to turn to for mercy. There was no government to provide order. Civilization was ancient history, Europe a faint and faraway place. Inside the ship, as the heel increased, even the most primitive social organization, the human chain, crumbled apart. Love only slowed people down. A pitiless clock was running. The ocean was completely in control.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Professor of Cats posted:

Wow. Holy hell.

Grim, but I did find oddly funny the story of the woman who worked out there was a problem before anyone else and quietly made her way to the deck to sit down, 15 minutes before the boat started to sink.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Read this awhile back and it still remains one of the best/ most horrifying articles on the sea.

Also, toodumbtolive.txt

quote:

...Indeed, some of the first people to follow Rolf Sörman and his three female companions outside onto the nearly empty promenade were brazen thieves—a band of young Estonian men who took advantage of the confusion to tear a gold chain off Sörman's neck and to strip cash and jewelry from the women. With startling speed they robbed others on the deck and then disappeared inside, apparently to work through the crowds that were just beginning to surge up the staircases. They were confident, as criminals tend to be, and they must not even have considered that the ship might then trap them, though the best evidence is that it did.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I may be dead, but I'm dead with mad moolah in my pockets

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It worked for the pharoahs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The talking apple
Oct 24, 2005

I remember reading this article and made me realise that given the choice of a plane crash or a boat sinking, I rather plummet 30,000 feet.

There's a good documentary on how and why people survive disasters such as plane crashes, terrorist attacks, maritime disasters etc... and it describes that the majority of survivors in such incidents were self confident, whom took action immediately when every second meant life and death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqNFZ0JPeY (skip to 30m50s for a passenger's account on how he escaped the MS Estonia).