Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Also, it was a $10M repair job 10 years ago. It's gonna be way more now, but fuckit. The place needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Also, it was a $10M repair job 10 years ago. It's gonna be way more now, but fuckit. The place needs it.

If Trudeau is smart, this is already the perfect spin for the story. "This is something Harper should have done ten years ago, but he didn't, and now we have to clean up his mess."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I think naming an airport after Harper would be a great idea.

How about this one?

We'll also exile Harper, his family and any Suncor execs to the area where they can spend the rest of their lives sustaining themselves on what I'm sure is plenty of healthy local wildlife and fresh water sources.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

vyelkin posted:

If Trudeau is smart, this is already the perfect spin for the story. "This is something Harper should have done ten years ago, but he didn't, and now we have to clean up his mess."

There's a reason we're not hearing anything from the CPC about this.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 2, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

I can't find any actual sources on this other than a couple articles on the CBC citing that the Crown admitting that the defense's allegations of bombing this site are true. I would much rather accept an actual ruling on this rather than hearsay.

I feel like if a major part of the defence's argument is "Actually, my client did not bomb this building and the reason why is because actually the RCMP bombed it instead" and the Crown responds "Well yeah, that's true", that seems pretty damning.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Melian Dialogue posted:

I could be wrong but Im fairly certain Weibo was convicted of bombing a different oil site, and this bombing that was supported by the RCMP was just a dud one designed to build up the credentials of a potential informant to Weibo for conviction.

well I mean that makes it okay for the RCMP to do that then

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
----

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 2, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

:shrug: Courts didn't seem to think its a problem that they blew up, with the companies permission, a shed in order to build up the credentials of an informant. This isnt some ~~**~~FALSE FLAG~*~*~ attack or something here.

They didnt bomb the site in order to make the suspect look bad or to pin it on him.

quote:

The RCMP's original plan was to blow up one of AEC's trucks. The company convinced the police to change the operation even though AEC had already given its approval, offered up a truck to be bombed and said it would pay for any major damages. Company officials were having second thoughts.

According to the RCMP's own files, the head of AEC's northern operations met with the police to say his bosses were concerned that bombing a vehicle would cause 'undue stress and fear' for employees driving company trucks.

So the company offered an alternative, a shed covering one of its "out of service" well sites not far from the suspects' property.

The bomb was set off Oct. 14, one week before AEC hosted two tense and emotional town hall meetings. Worried residents who turned out, were told by an expert, who was flown in by AEC, that they were the victims of 'eco-terrorists'.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/more-details-of-rcmp-dirty-tricks-revealed-1.168362

Still pretty bad to intentionally terrorize the public imo.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ahahaha IT BEGINS

quote:

Leave 24 Sussex to reality TV

William Watson
Published on: October 26, 2015 | Last Updated: October 26, 2015 6:02 PM EDT

Do you suppose the party leaders would have run quite so hard over 78 days if they’d known, as several media outlets reported last week, that 24 Sussex is a drafty dump needing $10 million in repairs?

First question: How in the world do you spend $10 million repairing a house, even a big house like 24 Sussex? Middle-class Canadians — the election’s heroes — might think of spending $10,000 to re-do a bathroom, maybe $50,000 for a kitchen, all the while crossing their fingers and hoping there are no surprises. But $10 million. For $10 million you’d think they could tear the thing down and re-build an exact replica, but with modern insulation, heating, helicopter pad and all-season backyard rink.

If Harper had won last week, he’d at least have had his promised Home Renovation Tax Credit to help out, though only on the first $5,000. The other $9.995 million would have had to come from somewhere else.

Justin Trudeau is playing with a fuller policy deck, of course. He’s promised billions of new dollars of infrastructure spending, starting right away, with some large chunk earmarked for social housing. What housing could be more social than 24 Sussex? Of course, if, senator-style, he did divert $10 million to what might look like personal use, that would raise eyebrows and ire, even if it did “kickstart” the top-end Ottawa decorator market. (Why do all left-leaning leaders want to kickstart the economy? In most things they’re very non-violent. They want to stop kicking ISIL. But the economy they would kick. Do they really think an economy responds well to kicking?)

Time was when nobody would bother Treasury Board about 24 Sussex. When Justin Trudeau’s father wanted a swimming pool installed so he could clear his head by doing laps every day, the Liberal party’s rain-makers, or in this case chlorinated-water makers, solicited some major corporate donors and they quietly came up with Cash for Splash. Though it’s obviously in the public interest that any prime minister have a clear head, most Canadians didn’t think taxpayers should pay for a luxury like a pool, not until every middle-class family had one at least. (Do you think maybe that will be in the 2019 platform?)

You couldn’t have corporate guys write big cheques now, though. Too Nigel Wright.

But deep pockets aren’t needed anymore. Shallow pockets, but lots of them, can do the job. Why not crowd-source the $10 million online? Elections Canada says 6,930,136 people voted for Trudeau. If each gave just $1.44, that would cover it.

Crowd-funding would be change. But real change, and I owe this idea to my wife, would be a Habitat for the Prime Minister house-building bee. Like lots of middle class Canadians, we watch (Mike) Holmes on Homes and Leave it to Brian (Baeumier) and Sarah (Richardson)’s House and any number of other shows on HGTV. Why don’t they take on the challenge of 24 Sussex? They could make whole new seasons out of it. True, they’d have to suppress the Canadian bits, as they always do, in hopes of improving U.S. distribution. They needn’t even mention that 24 Sussex is where our president lives. They could just say they’re getting a big old house ready for early occupation by an upwardly mobile young family in the social relations business. Let Americans puzzle over whether it’s in Omaha or Cleveland. Canadians would know.

It would be great. We could follow along through the season. Imagine Mike Holmes in his coveralls ruefully blasting whoever did the shoddy last reno, around 1923. We could vote interactively in real time on the structural and design choices. The job would be done in six weeks, tops: these guys work with dozens of helpers and sub-contractors who are always available at the drop of a cell phone. And of course they’d do it for free.

Or not quite free. If you watch these shows right to the final credits, you know they all benefit from government film and video tax credits. But that would still be cheaper than leaving it to the National Capital Commission.

When it’s done the new prime minister could invite all the new Syrian-Canadians to the reveal.

William Watson teaches economics at McGill University.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Kafka Esq. posted:

Swagger, I cannot see anything in the document you posted that is convincing. On the other hand, I have been reading widely respected expert Michael Geist, who is very concerned about the lack of actual oversight (not a toothless review or a secret tribunal reporting to the prime minister) over information sharing with broad definitions. Not to mention the liberals have intimated they will be expanding the bulk collection, rather than collapsing it. This is hardly surprising - they started the spying apparatus expansion over a decade ago. Then, like now, they ignored advice that supplementary legislation like CSIS act or the privacy act need to be revamped for the new reality. The liberals have not said anything regarding that.

We now know a lot about how state spying trends to get completely out of control from the NSA leaks, so what keeps driving you to claim it'll be okay this time?

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2015/03/a-conversation-about-bill-c-51-how-the-anti-terrorism-bill-undermines-canadian-privacy/

Swagger, I'd still like to get a response to this, a real privacy expert saying you're wrong. Would you be a sweetheart and respond?

The most troubling thing is that SIRC only watches a few of the agencies with access to the information that can be mined up, as noted by the privacy commissioner:

quote:

At this early stage, I can say that I am concerned with the breadth of the new authorities to be conferred by the proposed new Security of Canada Information Sharing Act. This Act would seemingly allow departments and agencies to share the personal information of all individuals, including ordinary Canadians who may not be suspected of terrorist activities, for the purpose of detecting and identifying new security threats. It is not clear that this would be a proportional measure that respects the privacy rights of Canadians. In the public discussion on Bill C-51, it will be important to be clear about whose information would be shared with national security agencies, for which specific purpose and under what conditions, including any applicable safeguards.

I am also concerned that the proposed changes to information sharing authorities are not accompanied by measures to fill gaps in the national security oversight regime. Three national security agencies in Canada are subject to dedicated independent oversight of all of their activities. However, most of the organizations that would receive and use more personal information under the legislation introduced today are not. Gaps in the oversight regime were identified long ago, notably by Justice O’Connor in the report he made at the conclusion of the Arar Inquiry. Extending the jurisdiction of oversight bodies would be an important step towards the greater transparency that Canadians expect.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
----

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 2, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Melian Dialogue posted:

I could be wrong but Im fairly certain Weibo was convicted of bombing a different oil site, and this bombing that was supported by the RCMP was just a dud one designed to build up the credentials of a potential informant to Weibo for conviction.

In hindsight, the BC bust of a couple of junkies who were too busy tweaking and loving to plant a couple of pressure cooker bombs without the RCMP's help doesn't raise any red flags for you? You see them doing this poo poo, admitting to it, and trust them to be just and straight forward in the future? How far does the security establishment need to go to build their bonafides?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Melian Dialogue posted:

The fact that AEC used it as an opportunity to scare the community about eco-terrorists wasnt the doing of the RCMP.

What would you expect AEC to do, tell the people at these town halls that it was a fake bomb that they set themselves with the help of the RCMP? If you're planting a bomb in order to build fake credentials for someone as an eco-terrorist, the whole point is that you publicize it as eco-terrorism. Whether it's the company or the police doing it doesn't really matter. This is especially true when you consider that they already decided against bombing a truck because they knew it would frighten their drivers, so clearly the two organizations involved had prior planning about the public fallout of their fake bombing.

You honestly don't see any problems with the RCMP committing a fake terrorist attack in order to try and get an informant to get someone else to confess to other crimes? If they couldn't build a good enough case to put away someone who was apparently such a threat to public safety without literally staging a terrorist attack on Canadian soil, I feel like they probably didn't have a very solid case to begin with.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ahahaha IT BEGINS

quote:

If Harper had won last week, he’d at least have had his promised Home Renovation Tax Credit to help out, though only on the first $5,000. The other $9.995 million would have had to come from somewhere else.

:psyboom:

Even if he's being facetious this is remarkably stupid, even for an economics professor.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 9, 2022

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 9, 2022

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Melian Dialogue posted:

In fact, the new information sharing framework has even more specific definitions than the s.12 mandate of CSIS! Read the legislative summary I posted, they show a side by side table examining the two.

You mean the part where they change will or necessary into wiggle words? Don't be an idiot, the definitions are both broad. The argument had been made that they made the definition broader to ensnare more people, but I don't think that was going to be too hard anyway given the old definition. My argument is the same as the CBA and Geist, that no oversight exists for the information sharing and increased spot powers they built into C-51 and C-13. The agencies have been massively expanded, the warrant process will probably be as terrible as FISA turned out to be in America, SIRC only has authority to review the activities of a few of these agencies and is slow and toothless.

Frankly, I don't think you know what you're reading in these bills. You can't simply wave away the criticisms without even a citation. Give me the page in which they show a side by side comparison of how they tightened up the CSIS mandate, because all I see are the loosening of the preventive measures clauses and the criminal code being butchered.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

EvilJoven posted:

I think naming an airport after Harper would be a great idea.

How about this one?

We'll also exile Harper, his family and any Suncor execs to the area where they can spend the rest of their lives sustaining themselves on what I'm sure is plenty of healthy local wildlife and fresh water sources.

Perfect. It's a little backwater terminal with one desk and a couple vending machines. I've been there; it's nothing of real importance.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
----

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 2, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

vyelkin posted:

"A pretty facade covering up a rotten core" is basically every initiative the Conservatives launched while in power.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yes.

Yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/27/judicial-recount-ordered-in-barrie-ont-riding-after-narrow-election-win_n_8398906.html :getin:

I know they have to do it by law if the vote is super duper close just to make sure but whatever I hope it results in Nuttall being sent packing

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Furnaceface posted:

Yes.

Yes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/27/judicial-recount-ordered-in-barrie-ont-riding-after-narrow-election-win_n_8398906.html :getin:

I know they have to do it by law if the vote is super duper close just to make sure but whatever I hope it results in Nuttall being sent packing

I didn't allow myself hope that he'd lose during the entire election. Could it actually happen? :ohdear:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I didn't allow myself hope that he'd lose during the entire election. Could it actually happen? :ohdear:

Well its not like he hasnt cheated in previous votes before so...

I wouldnt expect a reversal, but its not going to stop me from hoping for the better result. :pray:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This thread is off to an amaaaaaaaaaaazing start, and I hope the next 782 pages are as gold from Swagger now that Dear Leader has finally been deposed and the dirty laundry starts airing. :munch:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
It still hasn't sunken in yet.

Y'know... That... He's gone.

The monster is gone.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Good evening, something… something went wrong and you couldn’t hear me, so I’ll repeat again. The result federally is a disgrace. I think that this stupid loving Canadian society, this loving band of imbeciles, who voted for these shits, cockroaches from LPC, is some loving mistake. People, if it means so little to you, so little, this social engagement on my side, where I put it before my family, my private life, business, everything else and for you this only meant motherfucking 70 or 80 thousand votes then you should all be loving hosed. You should be hosed like only LPC can gently caress you. PO didn’t gently caress you as good as LPC will loving gently caress you. Your cunts will loving itch. From pain. This is a loving tragedy, it’s a tragedy that in this inhuman country, in a country where the media couldn’t loving say that Mike Duffy has been defi… defiled, this man, who got acquitted 118 times, where these court cunts accused him without grounds only to acquit him years later, that this is something that will make him a worthy senator. LPC will gently caress you all in the rear end. It will loving screw you worse than NDP. This oval office, this little cockroach, loving garbage Trudeau. He will destroy you, all pro LPC journos and TV stations will loving make you want to die you loving idiots. Canadian national idiots. I don’t give a flying gently caress, I can afford everything. I will get by. I’ll get the gently caress out this very day, the tickets are already bought. From Canada. And I will loving laugh at your stupidity, Canadian losers. Such loving morons, who’ve chosen motherfuckers from LPC. Not Harper, not Mulcair, but some loving assfucked Trudeau, gently caress! You voted for his name fucktards. This is loving Canada. Because of this loving Canada, because of you, loving cunts, nothing’s gonna change in this country, since you aren’t worth a poo poo and you must be hosed, screwed and made money on, because you are a band of national oval office losers. Do you get it? And to you, dear friends, who voted for me, who supported me – thank you! You are only a handful of Canadians, a handful of Canadians. Today it’s 70 thousand people, maybe 80. Turn off that phone or I’ll turn it off for you, forever. Yes, yes. This is the only thing that matters in this loving Canada. To speak right to your mugs at last, you stupid dicks, that you are troglodytes. That, poo poo, your loving credit cards is your power, your dignity. loving work in a corporation and a debit card. This is loving you, Canadians. Get hosed. It wasn’t loving worth it, wasn’t worth it to do anything that would… No point loving talking about it. No point blabbering, honestly. All of you get… Listen, you cunts who stupidly voted for LPC, drat you. You aren’t worth a poo poo, you are anticanadian. Good night.

with apologies to Pierogi

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Sounds like you could use a joint.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PittTheElder posted:

As It Happens had the best drat one liner I've ever heard from them on this today: "If not the whole airport, at least the control tower."

:vince:

I'm stealing that.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Melian Dialogue posted:

I don't really have any interest with debating this with you if you're just going to hand wave away my points as "not reading the bill" or that Im simply being an idiot, it doesnt really show me any good faith that you're interested in the points Im making.

Well, in what you've quoted Kafka said "reading in these bills" not "not reading the bill." The difference being he's questioning your interpretation of the legislation, not whether or not you've read the legislation. The latter being dismissive, the former being a pretty standard way to challenge someone else's assertions.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

MrChips posted:

I smell burnt toast!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2Ks2nZ36g

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Melian Dialogue posted:

I don't really have any interest with debating this with you if you're just going to hand wave away my points as "not reading the bill" or that Im simply being an idiot, it doesnt really show me any good faith that you're interested in the points Im making.

No, obviously, when someone pushes back on "here's the thing, read it!" by saying "what you said is in there isn't in there", you should run away.

quote:

Good Wednesday morning to you.

There may not be a whole lot of time left in 2015, but the Liberal government is by all accounts intent on ticking a few large items off the to-do list by the time the end of the year rolls around — not the least of which is opening Parliament and delivering a speech from the throne, CBC has learned. Other priorities will include legislation to lower taxes on the middle class. When it comes to creating new laws around doctor-assisted suicide, word is the Liberals will ask the Supreme Court for an extension.

Of course when it comes to refugees, the question for some is whether the government can settle 25,000 of them by the end of 2015?

And what of the long-form census? StatsCan is waiting to possibly reinstate it.

As CP’s Bruce Cheadle notes, the Liberals also have a slew of Constitutional challenges to Conservative laws to deal with. So many, in fact, that “sorting out which battles to fight and which litigation to delay, reroute or drop will have federal Justice department officials working like busy air traffic controllers this fall.”

After meeting with Justin Trudeau yesterday at Queen’s Park, a member of Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne’s government told CBC that the prime minister-designate “will direct federal bureaucrats to work with their counterparts in Ontario on the implementation of a provincial retirement pension plan.”

Looking to repair what’s been a tense relationship with Ottawa in recent years, Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis has reached out to Trudeau in a letter with five issues of 'paramount importance' to the province that he’d like to see given 'immediate attention.'

Meanwhile, The Globe's Adam Radwanski reports that Trudeau will dance with the ones that brung him on the senior staffing front, naming co-campaign chair Katie Telford as his PMO chief of staff and his closest advisor, Gerald Butts, as principal secretary.

In the wake of the Conservatives' defeat last week, it’s now packing time at 24 Sussex. Moving trucks were at the prime minister’s residence yesterday as Stephen Harper and his family get ready to head west to Calgary. The Canadian Press has learned that he’s spent a good part of the last few days on the phone with Conservative MPs who lost their seats and accepting some responsibility for their loss.

One of those calls was probably to Paul Calandra, his handpicked parliamentary secretary, who told CBC’s Power and Politics yesterday that it was a 'mistake' to focus on the niqab and barbaric practices during the election campaign, as it cost the party votes with new Canadians.

In some ridings -- three to be exact -- the election still isn’t over. Yesterday, Elections Canada said a recount has been ordered in the Quebec riding of Montmagny-L’Islet-Kamouraska-Riviere-du-Loup. There will also be recounts in Barrie—Springwater—Oro-Medonte and Edmonton Mill Woods.

The “Canadian Caper” has been laid to rest. At the memorial service for heroic former ambassador Ken Taylor, things were kept light as per his wishes, but he was remembered as a legend. Joe Clark, who authorized the mission that saved a group of Americans from Iranians who’d stormed the U.S. embassy in Tehran, said Taylor’s courage earned the admiration of people around the world. “Yet, it was a very Canadian thing to do,” Clark said, adding Taylor had an “instinct to be gracious.” Colin Perkel has more.

Ghislain Picard, chief of the Assembly of the First Nations of Quebec and Labrador, has given Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard 24 hours to meet aboriginal leaders in the province to discuss allegations of abuse against native women by provincial police officers in Val d’Or. Picard says the town “is in crisis” and no longer has confidence in the country’s police forces.

For the first time in more than 20 years, the Alberta government will be forced to borrow to cover its operating costs thanks to plummeting oil prices and a province-wide recession. In its first budget, the Alberta NDP government says the province’s $3.2-billion contingency fund will be drained over the next two years to help cover some of this year’s budget shortfall — pegged at $6.1 billion. The government pledges a return to fiscal balance by 2019-20. Our Kelsey Johnson has the details.

Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford has hit a “bump in the road” in his recovery from cancer. He’s expected to share more details about his condition in the coming days.

Here and there:
  • Statistics Canada releases a study on emergency preparedness and resilience in Canada, 2014.
  • Gov. Gen. David Johnston and Sharon Johnston attend the Royal-Mach-Gaenssien Prize for Mental Health Research award ceremony.
  • Retired Lt.-Gen. Romeo Dallaire appears at a Writers Festival event to discuss the importance of art in how we process war and loss.
  • Sentencing date for Sen. Patrick Brazeau who pleaded guilty in September to reduced charges of assault and possession of cocaine after a more serious charge of sexual assault was dropped.
  • The Ontario Securities Commission releases further details of its proposed whistleblower program.
  • Alberta Premier Rachel Notley to give details on the Calgary Cancer Centre and other health investments in the 2015 budget.
  • Princess Astrid of Belgium leads a 200-delegate trade mission to B.C. Through Oct. 28.
  • Migrant worker groups in Vancouver launch a coalition to call on Justin Trudeau's Liberal government to end the practice of tying migrant workers visa to specific employers.

With top envoys from the United States, Russia, Arab and European nations set to sit down to talk about the Syrian conflict, it looks like Iran will be invited to the table too. However, state department spokesman John Kirby said it’s not clear if Iran's leaders will attend the talks, which get underway in Vienna tomorrow.

A hospital in north Yemen run by the medical aid group Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) was destroyed earlier this week by a missile strike, but the Saudi-led coalition denies its planes were responsible for the air strike.

Margaret Trudeau is in the unique position of having been the wife of a prime minister and the mother of a prime minister to-be. She sat down with CTV yesterday to talk about what that means.

In Featured Opinion:
  • Jeff Sallot lays out the options facing the rookie PM as he tackles one of the most troublesome planks in the Liberals' election platform: the elimination of first-past-the-post and the introduction of an electoral model that more closely reflects how Canadians actually vote. But can we trust Trudeau to abandon a system that gave him majority power with less than 40 per cent of the popular vote?
  • It's too cold in winter, too hot in summer. The plumbing's dodgy, as is the wiring. The windows are cracked and the air conditioners are too loud. It all sounds like that basement apartment you had in college — but it's 24 Sussex, the official residence of the prime minister, and it's a mess. Can we fix it? Should we? L. Ian MacDonald has a couple of ideas.
  • The fearmongering industry took a hit last week with the defeat of the Harper Conservatives. Does this mean Canadian federal politics has entered a new golden age of civility, where we'll all link hands and sing folk songs along the Rideau? Steve Burgess says: don't bet on it.

And finally, one of the most beloved MPs in Ottawa, Peter Stoffer is spending his final days in office similar to how he spent much of his time when he wasn’t at his desk in the House of Commons – with his door open, oldies playing through a stereo and offering beverages to anyone – regardless of their political stripe. Our Janice Dickson dropped by to hear about the fun times, the trouble he’s gotten into and just how many lobsters were sent as peace offerings over the years.

Have yourself a great day.

International

National

Atlantic

Quebec

Ontario

Prairies

Alberta

British Columbia

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 28, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Everyone is making such a big deal about getting poo poo done by the end of 2015 but the LPC has a guaranteed government until 2019 and Canadians have the memory of goldfish, especially for early term issues, so I don't get the fuss.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Well for certain things, like the promise to bring in 25,000 refugees, should be done sooner rather than later.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

Ghislain Picard, chief of the Assembly of the First Nations of Quebec and Labrador, has given Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard 24 hours to meet aboriginal leaders in the province to discuss allegations of abuse against native women by provincial police officers in Val d’Or. Picard says the town “is in crisis” and no longer has confidence in the country’s police forces.

Well at least the PQ is in agreement that the meeting should happen, so hopefully they regain that confidence before someone does something regrettable.

quote:

The eight accused in the case have been suspended but many of the 56 members of the provincial police in the region say they feel scapegoated after the allegations came to light and say their spouses and children are also being affected. There were reports local officers have been calling in sick in protest after news broke that their colleagues were suspended.

Um, what in several fucks? How can you complain about being unfairly scapegoated while also protesting due process against people accused of assault?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Opinions are fine as long as youre willing to debate them. Swagger is not open to debating anything, he shits out his god awful opinions on everything without any facts or reasoning and when confronted about it disappears for weeks in hopes that the topic has moved on.

PT6A, ikantski and bunny are all examples of good posters even though I rarely agree with them because they are always open for discussion.

Also ikantski, yes I would legitimately rather have Rod "Car Salesman" Jackson than a guy that literally worships Thatcher, Regan and Mulroney.

I was honestly wondering. I know the Jacksons personally, they've all been pretty cool over the years.

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Serious question, at what point does the Sun run so far afoul of basic journalistic standards that someone holds them to account?