Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

lunatikfringe posted:

Flamethrowers? Check

Spelunking? Check

Ancient Civilizations? :cthulhu:

Parties? :shroom:

:getin:

Aliens with weird eyes. Weird. Strange. Eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
poo poo, those screenshots reminded me how much I adored the original grappling hooks. Even with their obscene energy drain, you could launch yourself hundreds of feet vertically so easily, so my lack of travel techs didn't prevent me from having the coolest loving time spidermanning my way around asteroid fields.

These days, it just doesn't have the crazy rubber band physics oomph to launch me up and around things from the underside, and refuses to catch onto rocks if I'm falling past them too fast/far for it's liking when the hook impacts.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lunatikfringe posted:

I recommend anyone who hasn't touched the game in a while give it another go. Start a new character and go in with a blank slate new game mindset. You might see some things that impress you. (Quests, dungeons, colonies, ship upgrades, inventory, etc)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I recommend anyone who hasn't touched the game in a while keep their hands to themselves. At least you'll have fun that way.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im glad someone remembered that gif.. but why...? it literally has no relevance in the current discussions.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
He's just trying to get his money's worth

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I got my moneys worth, thats for sure. Between this thread and Star Citizen thread, i will never complain about the money ive put into SA.

Edit: Or Starbound, becuase its a game i can play. Unlike Star Citizen.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 28, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

lunatikfringe posted:

A lot of whiners really. It is a $15 early access game and everyone treats it like a finished AAA. $15 for 80+ hours. And it keeps getting better as time goes on. If you like Terraria, Starbound is worth it.

But not fun enough to gift a few copies to random goons.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

grimcreaper posted:

Im glad someone remembered that gif.. but why...? it literally has no relevance in the current discussions.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

here's how tiy playing a new character would go:

"this part... is like metroid. good. ah, this part is like terraria + castlevania, plus some things no one's done before. good."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's literally Diablo, Castlevania, Terraria, Minecraft, and Pokemon mixed together, but only the best parts.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

It's literally Diablo, Castlevania, Terraria, Minecraft, and Pokemon mixed together, but only the best parts.

:eyepop: :eyepop: :eyepop:

sign me UP !!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Vib Rib posted:

Funny, I dont remember a loot system similar to Diablos, Castlevanias general theme, Terrarias Apache's. and everything even related to pokemon in SB.

it does have Minecrafts Autism though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd be cool if Starbound took a page or 50 from Animal Crossing's playbook, except without removing the mining, space travel, and combat (that needs to be fixed).

Build a sense of community between users. Make it so some items just never, ever spawn in some people's universe, or just rarely on a small percentage of planets, and then implement some sort of mail system. It sounds minor, but I'd love that poo poo. Have something that offers asynchronous multiplayer, because we all know how much of a hassle a server is to run, resource-wise.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd be cool if Starbound took a page or 50 from Animal Crossing's playbook, except without removing the mining, space travel, and combat (that needs to be fixed).

Build a sense of community between users. Make it so some items just never, ever spawn in some people's universe, or just rarely on a small percentage of planets, and then implement some sort of mail system. It sounds minor, but I'd love that poo poo. Have something that offers asynchronous multiplayer, because we all know how much of a hassle a server is to run, resource-wise.

we're already getting stardew valley.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rrussom posted:

we're already getting stardew valley.

That looks like it plays like something that came out of RPG Maker, except with someone who could draw worth a drat.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That looks like it plays like something that came out of RPG Maker, except with someone who could draw worth a drat.

I think its supposed to be similar to the GBA version of Harvest moon in that regard, dont know where you're getting RPG Maker.

Either way, 100% better than Starbound.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

When this was released I farmed up the highest armor by going to a sand planet and only running the surface for ore. I would stay there for at least 2 deaths one in each direction if I didn't circle the place.

The thing I hated was how hard it was to actually kill stuff, it made healing pointless and fighting it take forever.

Is the game any better now?

I came into this thread to ask this question and I'm sad that the answer is still the same

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Starbrowned.

Because brown is the color of poop.

I am a clever and hilarious poster.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Control Volume posted:

I came into this thread to ask this question and I'm sad that the answer is still the same

do you feel like you want to go on something more thrilling than Starbound. would you say the vandalism here is really bad. have you been queuing for Starbound To Be Good for ages

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

oddium posted:

do you feel like you want to go on something more thrilling than Starbound. would you say the vandalism here is really bad. have you been queuing for Starbound To Be Good for ages

:mad:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rrussom posted:

I think its supposed to be similar to the GBA version of Harvest moon in that regard, dont know where you're getting RPG Maker.

Either way, 100% better than Starbound.

"a game next to nobody has been able to play and i myself have only seen previews of that's being published by a company known for pissing off its clients is totally gonna be 100% better than starbound"
-kurt cobain

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My favorite part was installing the ship mod so I could remodel the ship into a base instead of making one on a planet.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

"a game next to nobody has been able to play and i myself have only seen previews of that's being published by a company known for pissing off its clients is totally gonna be 100% better than starbound"
-kurt cobain

Published, not developed by. That makes a huge difference.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's true, but on the other hand, all I've seen is preview images, promises, and a really poorly thought-out text box. It isn't actually made by Chucklefish themselves, so we'll see if it's any good when it comes out, but of course you'll understand if I regard it with a healthy amount of skepticism in the meantime.

and a healthy amount of :munch: in anticipation of the publisher neglecting stardew's marketing to the point where they strip out cf's logo from their startup splash

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

That's true, but on the other hand, all I've seen is preview images, promises, and a really poorly thought-out text box. It isn't actually made by Chucklefish themselves, so we'll see if it's any good when it comes out, but of course you'll understand if I regard it with a healthy amount of skepticism in the meantime.

and a healthy amount of :munch: in anticipation of the publisher neglecting stardew's marketing to the point where they strip out cf's logo from their startup splash

You should bother to actually check the site for the game at some point, then.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Magmarashi posted:

You should bother to actually check the site for the game at some point, then.

magmarashi comes out swinging folks !! steer clear !!

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I wonder if it makes the SB devs feel bad to see Ape's one-man team so close to accomplishing something they could never hope to achieve, releasing a functional game.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Can I get a chargeback for this because the product is unfinished and does not meet the promised expectations.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

-kurt cobain

In my defense, even Bad Rats 2 would be better than starbound.

Michaellaneous posted:

Can I get a chargeback for this because the product is unfinished and does not meet the promised expectations.

if you spent below 10 hours "lol, how can you say you've hated it if you've barely played it"
if you spent above 10 hours "lol you spent a pretty good amount of time on it, clearly you enjoyed it"

Sorry brah, this is the future you chose.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Rrussom posted:

Bad Rats 2

Wait what? Is that real?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Wait what? Is that real?

I didnt actually mean they was making one, but apperently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ApOFe9ODZY

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I'm willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt and see what they do with the new combat update. This is, like most everything else, something that should have been hashed out before the game started development, but maybe a concerted, specific effort towards bettering combat will yield the coveted "Just Like Soldat" feel this game has thus far refused to embrace.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

stardew valley's gonna be cool, shut up nerds

i'm gonna farm with my roommate and gay marry them

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Patware posted:

stardew valley's gonna be cool, shut up nerds

i'm gonna farm with my roommate and gay marry them

https://youtu.be/ib9Jz9iydeQ

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
this game is a lot like communism when you think about it

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Buttmeister posted:

this game is a lot like communism when you think about it

A fully-functional version of it has never been attempted?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
it'll only be complete and viable in a post-scarcity society

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
my fav part of starbound is getting sick of the grind and cheating all the needed stuff into my inventory to skip it, then realizing that after the grind there really isn't much to do because the fun creative stuff is borked and quitting

that was a good day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

my fav part of starbound is getting sick of the grind and cheating all the needed stuff into my inventory to skip it, then realizing that after the grind there really isn't much to do because the fun creative stuff is borked and quitting

that was a good day

This keeps happening to me. Supernorn, I try not to be a downer on this game, and I know there's still a lot to be worked out in terms of progression, but the beginning of the game is such a crazy slog, it leaves a lot of us feeling :negative:

I think what might help would be to have early access to something really fun, so to make the rest of the progression easier. Like the grappling hook; incredibly useful and fun, but I always cheat it in because I want it right away. I'm fine with doing the extra work for a lot of other things, but that and the matter manipulator are the two tools I just want fully-functional from (near) the very beginning.

Also, I want to send other players rude letters with rare items attached, dammit.

• Locked thread