Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Oh my loving god.

So I'm chasing a bounty target.

He's able to fire his missiles at me WHILE TRAVELING AT WARP!

I've chasing him mostly on principle now, I'm gaining .01 on him every few seconds. I have no idea if I'm gonna catch this guy, and since im In an earlier system for some missions he'll probably be worth 10k tops.

Enemy missiles having infinite ammo and being able to fire in any directions and any circumstances is my least favorite part of the game.

Warp has some weird slow down mechanics, but I've found that if you want to catch someone in warp it's best to angle off them 15 to 20 degrees and you'll travel at a much more reasonable pace. Just turn back in once you've caught up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rygar201 posted:

What's the :goonsay: on the Barracuda? Worth giving up my Tannhausen's six beam broadside for?
Do you like going fast? Like, sanic fast? So fast you can ignore missiles by just outrunning them?

I think they're kinda side-grades actually. Barracuda is definitely better in the not-getting-killed department, because speed is life. But it feels a little too fast sometimes -- you may end up just doing doughies while your turrets slowly kill poo poo, because the second you focus on broadsides your range & aspect control goes to poo poo. OTOH if things ever get bad you just boost out in a cloud of smoke while flipping the bird.

Tennhausen is by comparison very vanilla, broadside focused ship. It can get dog-piled easily, but aside from that you can focus on shooting the cannons and kill poo poo faster.

BigRoman posted:

So I upgraded from the sturville to the vanguard, and I couldn't trade ships back fast enough...going from very fast to average (speed and turning) is totally not worth 1 extra broadside, secondary and turret...I'll wait for a beefier ship before I downgrade speed and maneuverability.
Yeah that's a downgrade IMHO. Sturville is the best small ship in the game, the Vanguard is an in-betweener that has some major practical flaws.

I want to like the Vanguard because it looks cool, but the layout is just terrible on that. 7 boardsides & 6 turrets sounds great but they're all focused up front, meanwhile you have a big fat rear end with no coverage. It's the mullet of spaceships, fighter up front and hauler behind. Just doesn't work.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Game owns, Soundtrack owns hard

Stupid question, but how do i save ingame? I just got an Icarus which goes fast as balls but what happens if and when it blows up? Had a few close calls already

edit: holy gently caress jesus RAMMING SHIELDS those just became priority one

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Klyith posted:

Do you like going fast? Like, sanic fast? So fast you can ignore missiles by just outrunning them?

I think they're kinda side-grades actually. Barracuda is definitely better in the not-getting-killed department, because speed is life. But it feels a little too fast sometimes -- you may end up just doing doughies while your turrets slowly kill poo poo, because the second you focus on broadsides your range & aspect control goes to poo poo. OTOH if things ever get bad you just boost out in a cloud of smoke while flipping the bird.

Tennhausen is by comparison very vanilla, broadside focused ship. It can get dog-piled easily, but aside from that you can focus on shooting the cannons and kill poo poo faster.

Yeah that's a downgrade IMHO. Sturville is the best small ship in the game, the Vanguard is an in-betweener that has some major practical flaws.

I want to like the Vanguard because it looks cool, but the layout is just terrible on that. 7 boardsides & 6 turrets sounds great but they're all focused up front, meanwhile you have a big fat rear end with no coverage. It's the mullet of spaceships, fighter up front and hauler behind. Just doesn't work.

I mostly left the Tennhousen because I wanted the extra turret and the others had too many tradeoffs. The Sturvile being "Very Fast" compared to "Fast" does not properly convey the difference in Turn speed though holy poo poo. The Sturvile is a Very, VERY good fast ship.

I also feel that on the Vanguard. I never tried it because of the "all turrets on the front" thing. Plus the broadsides are on the rear end which feels awkward seeing the enemies fire those.

On the subject of iffy feeling turret mounts. The Mantitore has all of them on the topside, nothing undernear to catch fighters floating below you... But I finally scraped up enough to try one after getting most of my stuff to MK5 and so far, I so good.

ANY loss of turnspeed is jarring after the Sturvile. But this thing handles reasonably and I expect, the 2 million credits more than the "Slow/Slow" Arcturus costs, even if that did come with two more broadsides. Plus I just realized the Manticore has Five component slots :swoon: And the Secondary ports have a better firing arc for dumbfires. Tennhousen/Stuvile fired them at a backwards slant. Manticore fires them at a smaller forward slant so I'm not missing ships I'm practically on top of because I didn't tilt my ship away from the enemy at a 45 degree angle. It is also compact enough that I can still dodge some broadside salvos on approach.

I really, REALLY wish there was an ammo counter for your turret weapons though. I got lucky with a MK5 swarm drop and I put that on the back. I know Flak is infinite ammo, but it has less than 2k range (like scatter turrets) and most of my big problem fighters are bombing me with missiles and torpedos from outside of 2m range.

TL;DR: I have high hopes for the Manticore, and if it works out in the long run then it is just another reminder that the Murath have the best taste in everything.

Illegal Username posted:

Game owns, Soundtrack owns hard

Stupid question, but how do i save ingame? I just got an Icarus which goes fast as balls but what happens if and when it blows up? Had a few close calls already

It auto saves when you board stations. It is also supposed to save when you properly exit to the main menu. I admit I bitched out and force closed to get back the 600k mission I accidentally dropped from my own fault fat fingering a macro key near the escape key.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 28, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Illegal Username posted:

You save by: docking, undocking, and any time you exit back to the title screen. You can in fact exit to title in the middle of a fight if you want and the game is pretty accurate about re-creating everything exactly the same when you load.

The only penalty for blowing up is going back to your last save point. Everything is set up for being very generous with keeping progress even if you are just dicking around with an experimental new ship loadout or whatever.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just rescued Juno, and its official. This game takes place in wild west space texas. That old lady sounds EXACTLY like one of my old co-workers.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Klyith posted:

You save by: docking, undocking, and any time you exit back to the title screen. You can in fact exit to title in the middle of a fight if you want and the game is pretty accurate about re-creating everything exactly the same when you load.

The only penalty for blowing up is going back to your last save point. Everything is set up for being very generous with keeping progress even if you are just dicking around with an experimental new ship loadout or whatever.

Yeah it almost annoyed me that the only way to actually LOSE money in this game is to make terrible trades for a long time.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Am i missing something or are Flak weapons useless as all hell? The cannons only hurt fighters that are right next to me and the turrets won't even do that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Illegal Username posted:

Am i missing something or are Flak weapons useless as all hell? The cannons only hurt fighters that are right next to me and the turrets won't even do that.

The only point of the flak secondary is taping down your shift key and never worrying about missiles again. The turrets are bad, its never with your time to manually shoot down missiles with them.

Missiles in general seem to do so little damage that they're just not worth it. The only really dangerous ones are the very slow moving big ones fired by torpedo boats and very few cap ships, where forgetting to flak them or deflector them guarantees your shields go down.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I like the EMP flak, but i don't think it's taking out any missiles / torpedos. Am I unlucky or right?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Illegal Username posted:

The flak secondary will blow up missiles and torpedoes of any volume as long as the broadside is actually between the projectile and your ship. You'll probably have to slow down and angle your ship accordingly, especially when circling around a target otherwise the missiles will hit the front/rear shields. Using flak to ease off on deflector use significantly increases your survivability.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Oh right i am outpacing the actual flak. This ship goes FAST

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Section Z posted:

Oh my gently caress, the enemy always having an infinite supply of missiles they can fire in any direction is really busting my balls. I've been awkwardly trying to kill this greel Dread for 5 minutes because he can't quite bust through my defenses completly, but because 90% of his structur is struts above and below the broadside line I'm basically having to ram myself INSIDE them to gey my targets to shoot at it's "rear" from under 2 space meters away.

It also meant most of my dumfire missiles just harmlessly passed straight "through" it.

all while it barfs out missiles and torpedoes for infinity.

Then I tilt for broadsides and slowly scrape out of it and have to slowly catch up to it while the computer constantly repeats comments about the state of my engines. It can of course, fire it's missiles inside itself to hit me just fine, because why the gently caress does the enemy have to worry about aim or ammo for missiles right?

This is the second enemy I've fought on an "Average" difficulty mission (the first was a minelayer ship).

EDIT: Like, even if I scraped up the millions of dollars for the "Missiles refill deflector" part, that still wouldn't help me with being in a near permanent state of engine impairment, and I already have the EMP shield from the merchant's guild as it is. And With how often they spam missiles, if I wanted to block every single one of them I'd never get a full beam turret salvo to fire.

Basically all of my deaths on blockade runs are form a combination of "haha, infinite engine imparement spam" plus a being hailed overriding my dock button plus scattered cargo from blown up fighters overriding the dok buton. And the previously mentioned infinite disable spam means puttering an inch at a time even with EMP shielding from the traders so you can't ram the station to dock in time.

If you just ram the station it will automatically dock you!

If you're having trouble killing dreads, it's probably a sign to upgrade to a ship with more turrets and broadside slots. The NPC ones are just too large a bag of HP for the small ships to reasonably kill quickly enough even with high tier equipment.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Ok, finally made enough money to make an all-particle beam Blackgate, and it's... not as fun as I thought it would be. Sure, it absolutely wrecks poo poo, but beams don't have that visceral feel that some of the other turrets give you.

Still pretty great being a portable rave-station though :hellyeah:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Is there anything you can do about those engine impairing mines? Cos holy poo poo is endless engine impairment even after the goddamn fight is over the most unfun poo poo I've encountered in a game for a long time. Am I missing something obvious?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

NLJP posted:

Is there anything you can do about those engine impairing mines? Cos holy poo poo is endless engine impairment even after the goddamn fight is over the most unfun poo poo I've encountered in a game for a long time. Am I missing something obvious?

I think there's a (guild-rank-locked) Merchant's Guild Subsystem module that lets you use your deflector to stop mines from seeking you or something IIRC? You could probably use that to either get a good aim on them with your turrets or boost away, as long as you have a decent deflector and good boosters.

They are a pain, though, and it's supreme horseshit that there's no way to combat the scripted engine-impairing interdictions during high-risk missions that literally spawn enemies in front of you. Like, I'd even take a short minigame to combat it ala E:D, just make it slightly more interesting than "Oh, I guess I'll just boost through this group of guys so i can boost through another group of guys so i can get to my delivery point :geno:". At least the actual near-station blockades have potential for fun NPC infighting and poo poo.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Tip for mining: for gently caress's sake, use side mount mining lasers only along with the fault scanner. Any top or bottom mount will result in you failing to hit the weak spot in the freak asteroid with an obscene 4 diamonds, leaving you crying space tears if it happens to be far enough below and that stupid camera that refuses to cycle to the OTHER mining laser, leaving you the joy of blind firing through your hull.

Regarding that mission with an obscene horde of fighters, I too immediately exploded the first time I encountered that... But it is also the easiest such mission to do if you dock with a nearby station to save and refit first, even with only equipment purchased in system one. Since there are only fighters and missiles, you can pretty much kite the edge of the battle and pick them of. Trade in your broadside for flak or pulse turrets, depending on where your mounts are. Your ship hull will determine what angle you can fight a running battle and whether you need to put flak or expensive ordinance in your secondary slot. I went flak but I'm curious about the specialized secondaries or turrets I skipped at that time due to money. Point is, it's mostly the missiles that kill you and flak is useless from certain angles, much better in a chase situation vs missiles.

P.S. above: what build (no, phone I did not mean bull) are you running blockades and how deep into the sector map? The slow effect is barely giving me any trouble, since I go for speed before weaponry, but the higher tier probably have a stronger effect, at least they do have a longer one iirc

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 28, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Do you spend as much time in every system as you do the first one? I'm enjoying the game quite a bit but I can see this getting a bit old when I look at that galaxy map.

VV That might be too extreme the other direction, dang.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 28, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I spent more time in the first system than the rest of the game combined.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NLJP posted:

Run in fullscreen windowed mode and alt tab to F5 SA while you cruise away from the station!

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

LibbyM posted:

Do you spend as much time in every system as you do the first one? I'm enjoying the game quite a bit but I can see this getting a bit old when I look at that galaxy map.

VV That might be too extreme the other direction, dang.

zedprime posted:

I spent more time in the first system than the rest of the game combined.

I spent a lot of time in the first system but that seems absurd. Later systems have way higher payouts and are kinda obligatory if you want to keep the loop of side-content -> upgrading poo poo -> side content to keep a decent pace. Even the story missions don't take too long to tell you to get a jumpdrive and start farting around elsewhere.

Also you don't really stick around systems like you do the first one once you have a jumpdrive, I only hang around one system if it happens to have the highest payout missions available at stations, and even then the >1,000,000 credit missions tend to send me through a jumpgate or two. It also seems more efficient to do stuff like trade in lesser systems, because the highest value ones seem to have an absurd amount of NPCs floating around, which is great if you get a Detail Scanner and go pirating/bounty hunting since they also carry the best loot and bounties but not so great for doing quick trade runs.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Run in fullscreen windowed mode and alt tab to F5 SA while you cruise away from the station!

Yeah that's what I do but gently caress, I've rarely seen anything in a game that is quite this deliberately, taintcrushingly anti-fun and doesn't seem to serve any use beyond that. I mean, it doesn't even make fights more challenging as such.

I'm exaggerating somewhat since I don't really get mad at vidjagames. I find it baffling more than anything else.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 28, 2015

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

NLJP posted:

Yeah that's what I do but gently caress, I've rarely seen anything in a game that is quite this deliberately, taintcrushingly anti-fun and doesn't seem to serve any use beyond that. I mean, it doesn't even make fights more challenging as such.

I'm exaggerating somewhat since I don't really get mad at vidjagames. I find it baffling more than anything else.

Freelancer had the anti-jump missiles that enemies would spam on you if you didn't kill them all. I'd say those are worse because you can't afk out of that game without getting killed.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
Where can I buy the Minotaur?

Game is good. Was having a rough time trying to complete a mission worth about 350k. Failed a few times, ran into a pirate lord and smoked him for a Mk5 shield. Nothing could touch me through that, so two hours later I'm cruising in a battleship with Mk6 defensive stuff, broadsides, and Mk4/5 turrets. Time to upgrade ships!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Thor-Stryker posted:

Freelancer had the anti-jump missiles that enemies would spam on you if you didn't kill them all. I'd say those are worse because you can't afk out of that game without getting killed.

oh, cruise disruptors. You were the worst.

well, unless you, the player, managed to tag some jerk trying to jump out with one. Then they were cool. The problem is for every one opportunity a player had to fire a disruptor, two hundred enemies fired two thousand of them at you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Sipher posted:

Where can I buy the Minotaur?

Game is good. Was having a rough time trying to complete a mission worth about 350k. Failed a few times, ran into a pirate lord and smoked him for a Mk5 shield. Nothing could touch me through that, so two hours later I'm cruising in a battleship with Mk6 defensive stuff, broadsides, and Mk4/5 turrets. Time to upgrade ships!

Mercenary guild, I think you need rank 4 to buy it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Gwaihir posted:

Mercenary guild, I think you need rank 4 to buy it.

Six. At eight you get the broadside optimizer.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Section Z posted:

Quote is not edit :downs: but I lost em the third time it dropped me out of warp by absolutely nothing.

EDIT: vvv

Save up for the Sturvile (sold by the Mercenary guild for... 700kish?). Which is basically a Super Tannhousen (And I loved my Tannhousen).

Still 6 broadsides, 5 Turrets, and it's turn speed is super fast. Though I can barely tell it's top speed is faster with all the disable missiles and being pulled automatically out of warp going on :downs:

I went from the starter Hammerhead to an Icarus, which for all intents was an upgrade in all categories, and have loved the poo poo out of it from the start. I saw the stats for the Sturville, and have been drooling for it since.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Nah, those were really easy to deal with because you could just turn off your inertia correction and coast at max afterburner speed until the enemies were reduced to target dots. After that, I don't remember whether they wouldn't try to missile you or if their missiles just couldn't hit, but I never had a problem with it.

In Freelancer, getting away from fights you didn't want to be in was, for the most part, game-breakingly easy from a technical standpoint. But you know, it's perfectly fine to give the player that level of control over what they want to do in a sandbox, and I'll take it any day over Rebel Galaxy's mandatory time-tax as you grind your nth identical mission.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
Last night I ground up Red Devil rep to neutral because I decided I wanted a Damocles. I wouldn't really recommend the experience, as the pirate side of things seems... less balanced and more lacking in playtesting, in a game where the conventional paths are already poorly balanced and not well-tested.

Did this mostly in the middle-right systems, the ones where Mk4/Mk5/Mk6 is the max level. Mix of Mk5/Mk6 equipment- always top-level broadsides, deflector, and booster.

The most common mission I was able to find were the illegal cargo 'cakewalk' missions. They're utter poo poo, not because they're hard (significantly harder than any legal cargo-running mission I've run into), but because there's simply no intelligent way to approach them. At each destination point you'll have three to four waves of enemies spawned right on top of you (without even the grace to make them warp in or something else immersion-friendly), and there's no room to maneuver or do anything clever, just gotta booster-run and manage your deflector use. At one point I thought I must be attempting the cheese option, that you're meant to stop and fight, but no, the wave spawning seems linked to time spent near the destination point as much as distance traveled. If you hang out you'll quickly find yourself in an impossible situation with more fighters and gunships than I've ever seen outside of a Korian Swarm mission spawning on top of you. Most of them armed with deadly long-range beam weapons, in this case. So, the solution is to bring a fast ship with maximized defenses and booster and just keep running, but I hope you have a big cargo expander as well, because the cargo quantities can range up into the high 30s. These missions are purely gear-gated mechanics manipulation, no skill or tactics involved.

I also saw a fair amount of 'double defend' missions. Most of these are uncompletable. It's luck of the draw for what kind of ships you'll be tasked to defend. If you get Red Devil Savage Horizons you're golden, but if you get a clump of raiders and those lovely torpedo boats it's an automatic fail, and I mean that literally- even if you had some sort of cheat for godmode and instant-death weapons, you could only cover about half the field while there's a Lucifer 10sm away getting melted in about five to seven seconds by a Militia Battlemaster.

The 'captured giants' missions are a godsend in simplicity and ease after all that poo poo. In every one I ran, the friendly ship that needed to survive was a Savage Horizon, which is, again, more powerful than even Red Devil dreadnoughts by a ridiculous amount. I haven't tried it, but with their immense toughness and insane dps output from those orange beam broadsides, you could probably just sit back and let it solo a high-risk mission for you.

After all that, I was surprised to find that the Red Devils sell the Manticore in addition to the Damocles, and with no rank requirement or anything. Not sure if they sell the other Mercenaries' Guild subsystem tech.

It's a shame that the Damocles looks cooler, because the Manticore is straight-up better in every way. I'd buy one if it weren't blue. :sigh:

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Honestly my biggest complaint with the Red Devils is that the Raider and Proteus/Savage Horizon chassis' aren't available for purchase. The Savage Horizon type in particular seems like it could've filled the same spot in their shipyards as the Minotaur ended up being put in. I'd initially thought that they might not have been added because their built up superstructure might block the players sightlines excessively while broadsiding, but I'm not sure either would offer substantially greater impediment to visibility than some of the ships actually available for sale.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

MShadowy posted:

Honestly my biggest complaint with the Red Devils is that the Raider and Proteus/Savage Horizon chassis' aren't available for purchase. The Savage Horizon type in particular seems like it could've filled the same spot in their shipyards as the Minotaur ended up being put in. I'd initially thought that they might not have been added because their built up superstructure might block the players sightlines excessively while broadsiding, but I'm not sure either would offer substantially greater impediment to visibility than some of the ships actually available for sale.

:hf:

Yeah, I want to fly a Savage Horizon! I like the detailing on it, like the recessed broadside ports and the warning stripes on certain parts. Also the general shape and engine configuration. Proteus is no slouch either.

And yes, it seems like the tower on the Savage Horizon would be trivial to see past compared to, say, the Vanguard's fat rear end and low camera. There's a lot of nonplayable ships that seem to be that way simply because of lack of development time, one of many reasons why this thing feels like some sort of unusually graphically polished Early Access title. It would be cool if someone eventually cares enough to mod it, I'd love to get my hands on some of those Viriax ships as well.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

If you just ram the station it will automatically dock you!

If you're having trouble killing dreads, it's probably a sign to upgrade to a ship with more turrets and broadside slots. The NPC ones are just too large a bag of HP for the small ships to reasonably kill quickly enough even with high tier equipment.

They only last that long if they are mission spawned. If it's a naturally occurring Dreadnaught where I'm taking missions from, then I Can kill them in literally 30 seconds or less even with a Tennhousen. Frigates die within a long moment of getting into weapons range. Gunships die to the first proper full turret salvo. I have up to date weaponry (mk5 everything, system I've been spending the most time in sells mk5 tops, and the map rates it as "threat low").

But if I take an Average, or Low difficulty mission? Gunships are tanking multiple aimed broadsides along with the turrets. Corvettes take longer to kill than out in the wild bounty on it dreads. The actual dreads become WTF beef walls.

Things were fine through MK3 gear being what the story and systems expected of you. But Somewhere after it starts expecting MK4 gear of you, poo poo goes off the rails with mission spawned ships. "Oh cool, this is a low difficulty delivery mission.... Oh, I've been intercepted by a ring of a dozen gonships that can instantly strip off my MK5 deflectors and shields, and they have a dread. Oh, there is ANOTHER Dread parked outside the station itself, on this Low Difficulty Mission". I switched to the Manticore so I'd be able to survive "haha gently caress you we're spawning ships to surround you, and they brought imparement missiles!" moments, on top of the bigger turret count to fend off Mission Tough Gunships faster.

PS: gently caress the design of Grell Dreads. You have a game where you are stuck on one plane and design a ship where most of it's body is empty space where your broadsides and dumbfire missiles fire ugh. If I'm trying to be smart and attack them from behind so they can't broadside me, that means my shots travel over 1m to hit the back of the main body on the end of those long struts.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 28, 2015

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Cathair posted:

:hf:

It would be cool if someone eventually cares enough to mod it, I'd love to get my hands on some of those Viriax ships as well.

Definitely agreed, and I might take a shot at it if/when they release their apparently rather barebones modding supprt (whatever it may be; iirc, given what they've said about the games data structures, almost certainly a command line tool to convert their data files into binary and probably not much more). Well guess we'll see.

MShadowy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Section Z posted:

PS: gently caress the design of Grell Dreads. You have a game where you are stuck on one plane and design a ship where most of it's body is empty space where your broadsides and dumbfire missiles fire ugh. If I'm trying to be smart and attack them from behind so they can't broadside me, that means my shots travel over 1m to hit the back of the main body on the end of those long struts.

Ramming shields and mines are your friend.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its probably less useful for people sticking to smaller ships, but Grell dreadnaughts are what taught me the alternative to straight up running up someone's tailpipe. Basically if you come at a large ship on their 150 or 210 degree headings, you can get them locked into an endless turn where you can target their juicy side flank with your broadsides while staying in their broadside blindspot.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

How does one go about joining or ranking up the merc guild? I'm out of the starter area but only seen the odd mission for increasing merc rep. Is it just luck of the draw?

I'd really like hotkeys for different turret assignments. Sometimes I want to tell my guns to fire on the locked target but going into the menus and setting it is tedious. Be nice if you could just toggle it on or off with a key.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I believe you'll only encounter the mercenary guild after you leave the starting sector.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Ramming shields and mines are your friend.

Ram into it, deploy mines, laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
Couple of things that would have been nice to know early on in the game;

1) The precision aiming sights for broadsides are very very loosely approximated, 99% of your aiming in precision depends on how long you charged the shot for and what your currently selected target is, and the computer automatically works out the leading for you. Just point the sights at the enemy, charge and shoot. Unless you're right against them, in which case mash that broadside button like mad.
2) The Null-Grav boosters are the best late-game boosters, and you'll move everywhere with them activated because you're just too slow otherwise. They also allow you to escape from too difficult fights if you need.
3) If you're running a blockade to get into a station (high-level merchant guild delivery missions etc.), boost all the way into the station. You'll autodock, which is nice, but the real advantage is when you undock; you'll start about 4-5 sm away from the station, and OUTSIDE the blockade. Turn and boost off into space.
4) Trading can be good money early on, but unless you get hard at the sight of a well-organised excel spreadsheet, it pales in comparison to the fun and money you can make from doing mid-to-late-game merc missions. Enemies in these missions have a chance to drop cargo containers with any level of weapon or module in them, and if you get lucky an expensive module can drop that you can sell for millions.
5) If you need to catch up to a ship in warp, don't aim right at them; shoot off to the side, you'll gain speed from not being near anyone, then intersect with them when you're ahead/alongside them. Dropping out of warp when you're near enough will also pull them out of warp, in my experience.
6) It might seem like the right thing to do, but only upgrade your chassis when you've mostly maxed your current loadout for where you are in the game; there's 6 tiers of equipment, and probably 15+ effective tiers of ship, so each chassis upgrade is much less bang for your buck than any equipment upgrade would be. Go for survivability first, then damage.
7) You'll dick about with the turret manual aiming once and then never again.

• Locked thread