Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

vileness fats posted:

e.g. there is no offside line at a tackle (before the ruck is formed).
It didn't help that a few years back refs were pinging the second man in for 'not coming through the gate', despite there being no ruck formed. I got my only legit yellow card ever from arguing about that with the ref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

NZAmoeba posted:

With the final being at 3am Australian Eastern time, and 5am NZ time, who exactly is this final the ideal time zone for?

It seems strange they're not doing it at 8pm local time same as the Bronze Final.

I also want to know the answer to this. Sure, it's not like they could have known for sure that the All Blacks and/or Australia would be in the final, but I'd say the chances were pretty drat high.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

McCaw is no longer the best player in his position anymore but you won't find a better captain.

Nostalgia always means current players aren't often viewed as the 'greatest of all time' but I think McCaw arguably has that title. Will be sad to see him go :(

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NZAmoeba posted:

With the final being at 3am Australian Eastern time, and 5am NZ time, who exactly is this final the ideal time zone for?

It seems strange they're not doing it at 8pm local time same as the Bronze Final.

It sucks, who schedules a final at 4 PM?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I like McCaw. He only does what the ref will let him get away with, which is exactly what a professional in a sport should do (without outright ignoring rules of fair play).

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

Mr Chips posted:

It didn't help that a few years back refs were pinging the second man in for 'not coming through the gate', despite there being no ruck formed. I got my only legit yellow card ever from arguing about that with the ref

That's the interpretation now. At a tackle, there's no offside line for the tackler, and there's no offside line to prevent outside defenders from moving up, but any non-tacklers trying to pick up the ball or start a ruck have to come through the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqjLbnUXk4

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

goatface posted:

Well, he sometimes sticks his leg out, and plays some of the many scrummaging games, and sometimes dicks around in an offside position while lazy defending.

He's just better than anyone else at picking his moments and looking innocent.

Well, sure, but he stuck the leg out against someone who had taken like 2 steps and was not running at full speed. No way was he going to get hurt doing that.

Really, he's a power gamer who takes advantage of bugs in the game to unleash devastating combos on unsuspecting n00bs (which at this point is basically everyone except the three or four elite flankers someone else mentioned).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In domestic irritating news, the WRFU have become the second national association to veto a top class back row going to Bath

Instead of Faletau and Armitage we're stuck with Stuart Lancaster's bitch boy that he doesn't know how to use :(

loving hell we could have had a back row of Armitage, Faletau, Louw.

Aargh

vileness fats
Sep 16, 2003

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvezmBUVak

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

It sucks, who schedules a final at 4 PM?

4 is a bit weird (3pm is the traditional sporting hour on a Saturday in the UK), but 8pm would be weirder. You very rarely see sport on telly on a Saturday evening unless they're trying to cram 3 matches into a day or something.

They've scheduled it around local viewing habits, like they always will.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

The Rabbi T. White posted:

While this has been the case, it's a World Cup grand final. Unless there are some major line breaks in the first 10 minutes, the entire match is likely to be a forward-pack grind for kickable penalties.

Nah. Australia won't like that - they've got a distinct disadvantage in the kicking game because Foley simply gets the yips on the big occasions (it's been seen in super rugby, and now in the RWC: although he does seem to like last minute chances at redemption). And there isn't daylight between the packs. It's more likely they get Foley and/or Gitau to pressure Nehe Milner Skudder under the high ball and try and build from there.

Driving maul aside, Australia's pack isn't really made for grinding, it's there to provide quick ball. I don't see the Wallabies winning if this comes down to a kicking game.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
International Try Of The Year nominees are :

Goromaru (vs South Africa)
Vainikolo (vs USA)
Savea (vs France)
Savea (vs France)
Tipuric (vs Ireland)
Debaty (vs England)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbBbyZqyG-w

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tyma posted:

Vainikolo (vs USA)
Savea (vs France)
Savea (vs France)
Tipuric (vs Ireland)
Debaty (vs England)

Savea #2, no question.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why some of those are named for the try scorer, they're such well-worked team-plays.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Nigel Owens: True to Myself

Welsh international rugby union referee Nigel Owens talks about the pressures of the modern game, the private struggle with his sexuality and his love of the game and his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06hh344/nigel-owens-true-to-myself

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tyma posted:

Vainikolo (vs USA)
Savea (vs France)
Savea (vs France)
Tipuric (vs Ireland)
Debaty (vs England)

Where's Henshaw's try vs. england?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

tarbrush posted:

In domestic irritating news, the WRFU have become the second national association to veto a top class back row going to Bath

Instead of Faletau and Armitage we're stuck with Stuart Lancaster's bitch boy that he doesn't know how to use :(

loving hell we could have had a back row of Armitage, Faletau, Louw.

Aargh

He's out of contract at the end of the season, all they've done is saved Bath the 150K transfer fee and made them wait 6 months.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

DickEmery posted:

He's out of contract at the end of the season, all they've done is saved Bath the 150K transfer fee and made them wait 6 months.

The most likely outcome is that he'll go to The Ospreys on a central contract, either at the end of the season, or just before the start of The Heineken Cup.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34662659

BBC posted:

England rugby union centre Sam Burgess has been given time off by Premiership side Bath to consider a return to rugby league, BBC Sport has learned.

Well...that was fun while it lasted.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

What an arrogant spoiled little poo poo. To give up on the switch so quickly after being given the chance to play in the world cup.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Hahahaha what a oval office

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Tyma posted:

Nigel Owens: True to Myself

Welsh international rugby union referee Nigel Owens talks about the pressures of the modern game, the private struggle with his sexuality and his love of the game and his family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06hh344/nigel-owens-true-to-myself

Good article. I had absolutely no idea about any of this.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

To be honest, it was actually really disappointing while it lasted. He just could not make the impact he had in the NRL, and if I'm being perfectly frank, I think his interest in Rugby Union has dropped precipitously since the 70th minute of the Australia game.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I just assumed that every league/union fan figured this is exactly how it would go down.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Smorgasbord posted:

I just assumed that every league/union fan figured this is exactly how it would go down.

Not necessarily. There have been some good examples of people who switched over who have been genuinely committed to it. Folau is an obvious example, but Carmichael Hunt is doing the hard work in the NRC and in the QLD Reds to become a better union player, rather than just jumping back into league.

I think Sam Burgess is a right oval office here, not only because he's switching back after all the RFU has done for him, but also for being so arrogant as to think he could be a good 6 (or 12) without spending a few years learning the trade, that's proper arrogance right there. Sure he's physically talented, but did he really think he'd just waltz in and become a great player? Folau, for all his physical talent, is still learning how to be a fullback, and he's not afraid to admit it, and his attitude has never been (at least as far as an outsider can tell) one of entitlement.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I mean with Burgess specifically. He was never going to stick around in union.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
The way Lancaster handled Burgess is proof enough that he should go. Playing him as a centre was ridiculous, especially after his terrible warmup appearances and Bath deciding he would be a better flanker. Which he would be.

I really can't fathom why the RFU thought a man could go from his first major game in a sport to international starter in less than two years. Even Andy Farrell had spent more time at club level before being called up to the England squad.

For fucks sake, England already had a good centre partnership which was getting better, and shown to be capable of releasing a phenomenal back three.

The leaked report of the RFU enquiry (when it's leaked, which it will be) should be interesting. I won't be surprised if Lancaster stays, but I am very surprised he didn't resign within a week of the Uruguay match.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone decided he was a special snowflake superstar, and for some reason a massive number of people in the management and press believed them. I'm still not sure why.

What outstanding things has he even done during his short stint in union?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

goatface posted:

Someone decided he was a special snowflake superstar, and for some reason a massive number of people in the management and press believed them. I'm still not sure why.

What outstanding things has he even done during his short stint in union?

Got paid a bunch of money.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

I'm starting to get really anxious about Saturdays game...

I am reading far too many The Roar articles.. :ohdear:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

TRISHY posted:

I'm starting to get really anxious about Saturdays game...

I am reading far too many The Roar articles.. :ohdear:

Yer, I started getting anxious yesterday. My parents are over there and managed to get some tickets so I'm pretty jealous as well.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

It's not Burgess' fault he was picked though?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Ewar Woowar posted:

It's not Burgess' fault he was picked though?

From the outside looking in, this is what it felt like. Burgess was picked before he was ready, and is getting blamed for that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
As a Bath fan, I'm surprised and disappointed with him that he's decided to quit now, but I'm mostly angry with Lancaster and the RFU for their comical mishandling of him.

At Bath, he started out as the same bad, raw centre that he was for England, but he always showed promise with some bug hits and great runs carrying two or three tacklers over the gain line.

Once he got a bit of a feel for the breakdown, he moved to blindside and became more useful without being instantly amazing. He's got so much better at union in the year he's been here, and there is a really good union player in there that will take a year or two to develop, exactly like Kyle Eastmond.

And into all of that, the RFU pick him for a world cup he was absolutely unready for on the basis of wishes and fairy dust. They then trotted him out for the most critical game of the world cup in a position he'd been moved away from and just hung him out to dry against Jamie Roberts. He's now getting the blame for England being humiliated because Lancaster is a loving moron.

Of course he wants to quit union at this point, and I'm pissed that all the time, effort and money Bath put into developing him is going to be wasted.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Although my initial reaction was to think he's a dickhead for going back so quickly, it's definitely understandable for all of the reasons Tarbrush says: why would anyone ever stay when they're going to be hauled up as a scapegoat for the failure of the England team when he shouldn't have been picked in the first place for a couple of years? Why would anyone stick around when they had the option of going back to a place where they could be feted pretty much 24/7?

And the saddest thing is that if he does go back now it becomes easier for the RFU to use him as an excuse for why they didn't do well, rather than properly taking a good look at themselves.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a bit weak to bail so quickly, but admittedly in his position I'd be back in Sydney already.

I'd forgotten that both his brothers play out there and his fiancé is an Aussie.

gently caress you Stuart Lancaster, gently caress you. And Rob Andrew and assorted lickspittles

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Flip side, do you honestly think he would have stuck it out for four more years for another bite at a world cup?

Wasn't a big part of his decision to swap based on his desire to play for England in England's world cup?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Schlesische posted:

Flip side, do you honestly think he would have stuck it out for four more years for another bite at a world cup?

Wasn't a big part of his decision to swap based on his desire to play for England in England's world cup?

That was my feeling. It always seemed to me that he would quit after a year if a) he or England had a lovely World Cup, b) he wasn't picked for the World Cup. The only he way he was going to stay was if he got picked and looked good.

And he is enough of a superstar in the NRL that he would not be taking a pay cut (I don't think) by going back to league.

I feel really bad for Luther Burrell, not just because I like Northampton, but because he's a good center who knows what he's doing and who got shafted.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Schlesische posted:

Well, yes. He'd be thirty and have played union for four years.

Breaking his cheekbone clearly hosed everyone's plans, but I don't think he'd have been a wc caliber union player even is he'd had a full season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Thinking about this more, I'm coming to the conclusion that actually Bath are trying to pull a fast one here. Burgess' cap exemption doesn't last forever, and it seems likely that they thought they could get him over for a year and then slide Faletau in to replace him both positionally and in the cap exemption once the world cup was over.

Now that they've been knocked back of Faletau for at least 6 months they've suddenly come out with statements about Burgess staying despite the Roosters tacitly expecting him back.