Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Seagull posted:

i'm glad dawkins jr was there to explain that islam is fundamentally incompatible with not being a regressive barbarian also but im not racist

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but I'm pretty sure they are particularly referring to Islamism, which is different to Islam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone have the goonmeet details? Is anyone going?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nien posted:

I only stopped in to check out amethysts posts after his meltdown in games. You guys prove that we are quite tolerant. Small and biased sample accepted.
Call that a meltdown!? Pffft!

Stick around and he'll really show you what a meltdown is.

Speaking of: Who's doing next month?

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

Mithranderp posted:

Hey Cartoon, you should watch Holy Motors by Leos Carax.

I'm currently doing an analysis of it for my French Cinema subject and it is loving with my brain.

I don't remember actually watching this movie but for some reason I have a very clear memory of the limousines talking to each other at the end.

Edit: :rolleyes:

MonoAus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 29, 2015

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

SPOILER THAT poo poo

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Does anyone have the goonmeet details? Is anyone going?

The details are in the irc topic, phone posting so you can find them yourself

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Birb Katter posted:

The details are in the irc topic, phone posting so you can find them yourself

gently caress your poo poo

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Isn't it worse if the boats have stopped though? Or at least just as bad? The vast majority of refugees are found to be genuine, so the deaths at sea (which we know at time have been caused by political pressure not to rescue) have to be weighed against people being tortured or killed if they're unable to leave their country of origin. Or is Negligient just the type of fuckwit who thinks they should not jump a queue or should apply for asylum in countries that don't recognise the refugee convention?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

the deaths at sea (which we know at time have been caused by political pressure not to rescue) have to be weighed against people being tortured or killed if they're unable to leave their country of origin

~Not Are Porblem~

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zenithe posted:

I haven't listened to all of it yet, but I'm pretty sure they are particularly referring to Islamism, which is different to Islam.

That and calling out the regressive-left which excuse and justify that islamism in the name of tolerance. Through hours of research and reading the works of Nawaz I have determined that this regressive-left consists of two poo poo articles on the guardian.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Or is Negligient just the type of fuckwit

This one.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
What the gently caress are you talking about, deaths at sea are caused by people smugglers overloading unseaworthy vessels, not "political pressure".

And if you actually bothered to learn about where those people fleeing are coming from you would find boats from Sri Lanka are a minority, the majority depart from Indonesia and are a secondary flow from the source country, having been brought there by agents.

Or maybe you are one of those dumbasses who actually believe that people smugglers are altruists providing scared and vulnerable people a valuable service :lol:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

That explains why we're paying them cash.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Every sovereign nation has the right to regulate who enters. It's not in Australia's interests to take every refugee that takes a boat from Indonesia. Anyone who says that we have an obligation to accept people who pay smugglers to come here is simply insane.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Signatories to various human rights treaties are insane. A hot take.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zahki posted:

It's not in Australia's interests to take every refugee that takes a boat from Indonesia.

Why not?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Isn't it worse if the boats have stopped though? Or at least just as bad? The vast majority of refugees are found to be genuine, so the deaths at sea (which we know at time have been caused by political pressure not to rescue) have to be weighed against people being tortured or killed if they're unable to leave their country of origin. Or is Negligient just the type of fuckwit who thinks they should not jump a queue or should apply for asylum in countries that don't recognise the refugee convention?
holy loving false dichotomy batman.

If you live in afghanistan/syria/ wherever your only choices are
1. remaining exactly where you are.

Or

2. pay a people smuggler to take you on a boat to Australia.

You can't do anything else to mitigate the risk of harm, those are the two options.

Nice loving paternalist implicit racism there too. If you're brown you're not capable of being a rational self preserving actor, you are entirely at the whim of white men in a faraway land.

Negligent fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 29, 2015

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Zahki posted:

Every sovereign nation has the right to regulate who enters. It's not in Australia's interests to take every refugee that takes a boat from Indonesia. Anyone who says that we have an obligation to accept people who pay smugglers to come here is simply insane.

agreed, australia doesn't have a race problem, why should we import one

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Zahki posted:

Anyone who says that we have an obligation to accept people who pay smugglers to come here is simply insane.

Nobody thinks this. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm almost 100% sure nobody, even in this pink, lefty, communist, lefty, race traitor, lefty thread thinks this

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

paternalist implicit racism. I love youre the real racist, I lol everytime.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
We absolutely have the obligation to accept anyone who is eligible for refugee status and who seeks protection in Australia.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If you study the history of Islam, our ship captains were getting murdered. The French had to tip us off. I mean these were the days of Thomas Jefferson. They’ve been doing the same thing. This isn’t a surprise. You can’t solve it with a dialogue. You can’t solve it with a summit. You solve it with a bullet to the head. It’s the only thing these people understand. And all we’ve heard from these SJWs is a case to heap praise on this religion, as if to appease them.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

We don't have the resources to process that many refugees. Even the most ardent refugee rights advocate has to admit we have a quota and going beyond that is harmful for a lot of reasons beyond just the economic ones, the number of social workers who ensure these people become integrated into their communities, support services to get them housed, learn the language, find them jobs. Overall if we're talking about refugees I'd much rather the country take ones that are recognised by the UNHCR and have been suggested for relocation, that way we're certain the process is fair and unbiased with no regard for race, religion or economic status instead of filling our capacity with people who are wealthy enough to pay for their own means of getting here. "Take them all" is not a solution and efforts need to be made to ensure if we take X amount of refugees per year that we're getting people from around the world who may not have the means to get here rather than a "Ok the first 16k people who arrive here by boat get refugee status, the rest of you better luck next year"

quote:

Nobody thinks this.

I'm almost certain someone will pop up and say we're obliged to take everyone who boats over.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Oh, so it's ok for Muslims to torture people but as soon as we do it suddenly we're the bad guys?!

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Mithranderp posted:

We absolutely have the obligation to accept anyone who is eligible for refugee status and who seeks protection in Australia.

By "accept" do you mean "grant permanent residence" ?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zahki posted:

We don't have the resources to process that many refugees. Even the most ardent refugee rights advocate has to admit we have a quota and going beyond that is harmful for a lot of reasons beyond just the economic ones, the number of social workers who ensure these people become integrated into their communities, support services to get them housed, learn the language, find them jobs. Overall if we're talking about refugees I'd much rather the country take ones that are recognised by the UNHCR and have been suggested for relocation, that way we're certain the process is fair and unbiased with no regard for race, religion or economic status instead of filling our capacity with people who are wealthy enough to pay for their own means of getting here. "Take them all" is not a solution and efforts need to be made to ensure if we take X amount of refugees per year that we're getting people from around the world who may not have the means to get here rather than a "Ok the first 16k people who arrive here by boat get refugee status, the rest of you better luck next year"

I'm almost certain someone will pop up and say we're obliged to take everyone who boats over.

How many people are you expecting? Abbott was talking about tens, possibly millions, of people.

E: are you aware that the most boat arrivals australia ever got was 20,000 people in one year?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 29, 2015

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
maybe we'd be better equipped to take refugees if we didn't spend billions torturing them beforehand

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
People get upset about this because these 'people' aren't playing 'by the rules'. I'm convinced that if you show people that they are 'actually playing by the rules' that is part of a process that takes into account who they are and where they are from then we might have some rational debate. Nevertheless and let me just say for what its worth and to be quite honest, we will continue to make this an issue and we will continue to lose and its sad. I've taken this seriously, I think i need to buy amethyst an av. I''m thinking that dsmart's kid in a wheelchair is fitting.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about, deaths at sea are caused by people smugglers overloading unseaworthy vessels, not "political pressure".

Are you forgetting the Navy personnel who said they were told to wait before going to respond to a distress signal?

quote:

Fiona said she was also aware of the level of indirect political pressure applied to border protection operations.

She said the captains of naval ships were told not to board asylum seeker vessels until they were in Australian waters, and the crews and passengers were then subject to Australian migration law.

She claims that on at least one occasion, an asylum seeker vessel sank as a result.

"In the incident that I've described where the boat overturned and people died, that pressure came from Canberra," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/navy-personnel-open-up-about-border-protection/5933260

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 29, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Zahki posted:

This is the law. If someone claims asylum upon arrival in Australia, we have an obligation to investigate their claim of asylum, and grant them refuge if we find it to be genuine. How they arrived is irrelevant. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this. You can disagree that this should be the law if you want, but it's still the law.

Obviously we are not in fact obeying that law since we refuse to settle refugees who come by boat even if we find their claims genuine. Nonetheless, it's the law under a treaty that we're a signatory to - not some completely whacko insane left-wing suggestion.

Nien posted:

I'm convinced that if you show people that they are 'actually playing by the rules' that is part of a process that takes into account who they are and where they are from then we might have some rational debate.

The past 15 years suggest otherwise

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Sorry but if we accept that 13,751st refugee it's curtains for the entire country. that's just a simple fact regardless of what the sjw twitterati try to tell you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is anyone at the goon meet I cannot find it

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Nien posted:

It's a wedge as Marr says in the article. The percentage of people who are actually hardcore anti-immigration and/or outright racist when it comes down to it is small. It's a definitional problem about what is fair and not fair. I reckon.

I only stopped in to check out amethysts posts after his meltdown in games. You guys prove that we are quite tolerant. Small and biased sample accepted.

What's he melting down about in games??

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Are you forgetting the Navy personnel who specifically said they were told to wait before going to respond to a distress signal?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/navy-personnel-open-up-about-border-protection/5933260

Yes, the real reason people drowned is definitely that the navy, buckling under political pressure, decided not to rescue people, and not, for example, those people paying money to people smugglers who sail across the open ocean in an overloaded, unseaworthy boat.

It's definitely the rescuers fault, and not the person who put themselves in a position to require rescue. That person is utterly blameless in their own demise.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is anyone at the goon meet I cannot find it

The goonmeet I'm having at the airport is awesome you should all come here

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

katlington posted:

How many people are you expecting? Abbott was talking about tens, possibly millions, of people.

E: are you aware that the most boat arrivals australia ever got was 20,000 people in one year?

That's triple our usual refugee intake. Resettling refugees here takes a lot of time and effort. They need a lot of support before they actually feel at home here. Whats the point of accepting them if they need to live in tent ghettos no better than Nauru because we can't find them proper housing? Everyone loses, the communities who live nearby and get to see their crime skyrocket and the refugees who basically live as third world citizens in a first world country. If we're going to take refugees it needs to be deliberate and measured, not a free for all where we take in unsustainable numbers because we're trying to take UNHCR designated refugees as well as everyone who makes it to our shores by boat. I have no idea why you think we'd be able to support 20,000 refugees a year when the average is around 6,000. It would be impossible to give them the support they need to integrate into the community. Like I said, 'take them all' is not a solution, it's not feasible and unless you think that relatively wealthy people who can access people smugglers should get priority over people living in warzones without the means to escape themselves then we shouldn't be trying to take on an additional burden that would compromise the integration of the refugees we already take into their new communities.

Making sure we only take an amount we have the resources to properly support and ensuring that they go through an equitable process of selection is the only humane thing to do. Allowing unrestricted movement into our country by anyone who claims to be a refugee is a really bad idea with terrible outcomes both for the refugees and Australian citizens.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zahki posted:

That's triple our usual refugee intake. Resettling refugees here takes a lot of time and effort. They need a lot of support before they actually feel at home here. Whats the point of accepting them if they need to live in tent ghettos no better than Nauru because we can't find them proper housing? Everyone loses, the communities who live nearby and get to see their crime skyrocket and the refugees who basically live as third world citizens in a first world country. If we're going to take refugees it needs to be deliberate and measured, not a free for all where we take in unsustainable numbers because we're trying to take UNHCR designated refugees as well as everyone who makes it to our shores by boat. I have no idea why you think we'd be able to support 20,000 refugees a year when the average is around 6,000. It would be impossible to give them the support they need to integrate into the community. Like I said, 'take them all' is not a solution, it's not feasible and unless you think that relatively wealthy people who can access people smugglers should get priority over people living in warzones without the means to escape themselves then we shouldn't be trying to take on an additional burden that would compromise the integration of the refugees we already take into their new communities.

Making sure we only take an amount we have the resources to properly support and ensuring that they go through an equitable process of selection is the only humane thing to do. Allowing unrestricted movement into our country by anyone who claims to be a refugee is a really bad idea with terrible outcomes both for the refugees and Australian citizens.

Actually our humanitarian intake is currently 13,750, was scheduled to be 20,000 before the change of government and now has an added 12,000 special intake of Syrian refugees on top but yeah 6,000 is our breaking point

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Negligent posted:

Yes, the real reason people drowned is definitely that the navy, buckling under political pressure, decided not to rescue people, and not, for example, those people paying money to people smugglers who sail across the open ocean in an overloaded, unseaworthy boat.

It's definitely the rescuers fault, and not the person who put themselves in a position to require rescue. That person is utterly blameless in their own demise.

If someone's been pushed into a pool and is drowning right in front of you and you have the ability to save them, but don't, both you and the person who pushed them carry the blame. It doesn't matter if you only didn't save them, because you wanted their death to act as a deterrent to other people by the pool.

Like realistically, what is your ideal solution for these asylum seekers?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 29, 2015

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

If I ride a bike through a red light get struck by a car and die of head injuries (I wasnt wearing a helmet) it is the fault of

1. Passersby who didn't call 000
2. Ambulance officers for not responding fast enough
3. Driver of the car
4. Person who designed the intersection
5. Manufacturer of the bike
6. Government for failing to educate me on the risks of cycling

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If someone's been pushed into a pool and is drowning right in front of you and you have the ability to save them, but don't, both you and the person who pushed them carry the blame. It doesn't matter if you only didn't save them, because you wanted their death to act as a deterrent to other people by the pool.

Your analogy is poo poo since people actually voluntarily pay money to get on a boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually it's the pushed in persons fault for not grabbing a pool noodle and treading water for the next twenty years.

• Locked thread