Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

bewilderment posted:

The very first time I ran WoD, my players got to have pretty much Literally Scooby Doo as a dog. I figured, hey, Scooby Doo is a big dog, might as well use the stats out the back of the blue book, right?

That was a hell of a dog.

In one of my first Mage games, one of the PCs had a familiar; a spirit of justice in the form of a K-9 Unit German Shepherd. When he used essence to enhance the dog's attributes, the thing did so much damage with a single bite that it was retroactively declared that the dog became a horse-sized dire wolf.

In hindsight, that said dog wasn't ridden gloriously into battle at some point feels like a terrible waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Can anyone explain to me what the hell is going on in the Shattered Dreams cover art?

Also I'm not sure I like the idea of locking rewards behind a certain number of backers humiliating themselves in public in various ways.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"Garou Conquistadores".

Um. Wait, what?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

"Garou Conquistadores".

Um. Wait, what?

The Shadowlords who came to America and genocided the werebats.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm going to be running "How an Angel Dies", the scenario from the Demon core book, for my new group tomorrow. It's a group that's new to Demon and in some cases the nWoD system in general, and I'm hoping to finish the whole thing in 4 hours. This is going to be the first session of an ongoing campaign, so they'll be continuing in Seattle with these characters. Does anyone have any experience or advice running it? Is there anything I should consider cutting or condensing for time? The biggest things that worry me are combat with the stigmatics at the very beginning, and showing off the 1962 splinter without getting bogged down.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Kellsterik posted:

I'm going to be running "How an Angel Dies", the scenario from the Demon core book, for my new group tomorrow. It's a group that's new to Demon and in some cases the nWoD system in general, and I'm hoping to finish the whole thing in 4 hours. This is going to be the first session of an ongoing campaign, so they'll be continuing in Seattle with these characters. Does anyone have any experience or advice running it? Is there anything I should consider cutting or condensing for time? The biggest things that worry me are combat with the stigmatics at the very beginning, and showing off the 1962 splinter without getting bogged down.

not directly, but Fandible Actual Play podcast ran the scenario. And the problem I noticed was how good knockout punch is, they basically skipped a bossfight + exposition with it. House Rule I heard suggested was letting demons make some sort of defense roll like clash of wills against knockout punch.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Can confirm that knockout punch is super good - I ran a six-month campaign of Demon and it was a constant source of frustration. If you're going to house rule it, I'd suggest maybe adding a cost to it, like possibly a point of willpower.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Knockout Punch should obviously only insta-KO normies and just give you 8-again or something on bashing attacks against powerful characters. There are actually a bunch of powers with explicit vs. extras/vs. heroes mechanical divides as-is, and I'm pretty sure Knockout Punch only lacks one out of an ideological commitment to making the combat system as lovely as possible.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Yeah, that's fair - make it like a Merciless Gunman for punches.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For some reason I flipped through Shadows of Mexico for the first time in years, and aside from remembering how cool the nWoD used to be (back when books came out regularly I mean, not that the new books are lower quality at all), it struck me how interesting the few broad strokes about the Aztec empires were. I really hope they'll take the time to devote a few paragraphs more to it in Dark Eras, even if Skinchangers is the focus.

I'd be fine with a completely different of Aztec supernaturals, though, considering the nature of the nWoD.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Twibbit posted:

not directly, but Fandible Actual Play podcast ran the scenario. And the problem I noticed was how good knockout punch is, they basically skipped a bossfight + exposition with it. House Rule I heard suggested was letting demons make some sort of defense roll like clash of wills against knockout punch.

Knockout punch is super good, but in the demon campaign I'm playing in, I only use it on chumps in order to achieve 'stealth' (if stealth games have taught me anything, knocking out all the guards is the same thing as never getting caught) or when we generally might need to capture some relatively normal human. One time I sat at the top of a ladder and just knocked people out as they came to investigate all the other dudes vanishing till I had a pile of unconscious people on the roof. That was pretty great.

Edit: As noted, it should be merciless gunman for punches

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
That was a glorious scene. I probably will treat it like merciless funman and the other combat embeds I've cooked up with the mook/important dude divide.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MonsieurChoc's post reminded me: What is the disposition of White Wolf itself? Onyx Path basically has the rights or at least the licenses to everything from it but Mind's Eye, and with the MMO dead CCP doesn't seem to have much need of it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Obligatum VII posted:

Knockout punch is super good, but in the demon campaign I'm playing in, I only use it on chumps in order to achieve 'stealth' (if stealth games have taught me anything, knocking out all the guards is the same thing as never getting caught) or when we generally might need to capture some relatively normal human. One time I sat at the top of a ladder and just knocked people out as they came to investigate all the other dudes vanishing till I had a pile of unconscious people on the roof. That was pretty great.

Edit: As noted, it should be merciless gunman for punches

The real motherfucker Embeds you use regularly are Turn Blade and Just Bruised, though we regularly forgot the catches for a while. For others, these two Embeds combined (with some demon form parts) make his character more or less invincible in a stand-up fight. Turn Blade turns an attack into nothing but bashing damage or removes its weapon bonus successes, but must be used before an attack is rolled, and (the important part) the demon must be consciously aware the attack is coming. Being ambushed, shot from a distance, or smashed in the head from behind means you can't use it. Just Bruised, meanwhile, must similarly be used before damage is dealt, but you don't have to know IC it's coming. It simply sets the damage of the effect to 1, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Each successive use in a scene adds a -1 penalty to the roll, but considering his pool is something like eight or nine dice, he's not getting hit often enough per combat for that to really matter.

The two combined has meant his character can do things like be shot point-blank with an angelic railgun, and laugh it off for 1B. Repeatedly.

(Of course, stuns, knockdowns, recurring damage like acid, and grapples tend to be a bummer if he hasn't manifested demonic form. Rubix Squid has gotten really creative when she wants a combat scene to be "Threaten Obligatum's Character" rather than "Let Obligatum's Character Terrorize Nerds")

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Rubix Squid posted:

merciless funman

I don't know whether that was a typo or not, but I'm never going to call it anything else ever again.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

cptn_dr posted:

I don't know whether that was a typo or not, but I'm never going to call it anything else ever again.

It originally started as a typo, then we started calling it that on purpose.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Kavak posted:

MonsieurChoc's post reminded me: What is the disposition of White Wolf itself? Onyx Path basically has the rights or at least the licenses to everything from it but Mind's Eye, and with the MMO dead CCP doesn't seem to have much need of it.

White Wolf hasn't existed since the CCP merger, and there hasn't been anyone at CCP working on tabletop games since they laid off Eddy Webb when they killed the WoD MMO last April.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Oddly enough, this was announced today.....

quote:

Games developer Paradox Interactive buying role playing game company White Wolf Publishing in a multi-million business . "This is our largest investment to date ," says CEO Fredrik Wester. The acquisition is a cash transaction in which Paradox Interactive adds " several tens of million " on the table . The seller is the Icelandic Group, CCP Games , the company behind the multiplayer game EVE Online .

"This is fantastic fun and a great relief that we can pay 100 percent of Paradox own cash ," said Fredrik Wester.

With 200 employees , a more extensive game catalog and three million registered users count Paradox now among Sweden's major game developers.

White Wolf Publishing owns the rights to some of the world's biggest role play, including the World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade . There are brands that spawned books, board games , card games and computer games on multiple platforms, and stood as a model for the TV series .

"Vampire is the world's second best-selling role-playing and is special because half of all players are women ," said Fredrik Wester.
He expects the acquisition in the short term can increase Paradox turnover with a couple of million. White Wolf has annual sales, according to Fredrik Wester, in the day 4-5 million a year.

Paradox Interactive has recently had substantial tailwind thanks to the success of the game Cities: Skylines. Already at half year sales doubled compared to all of last year's figures. Much speaks for Paradox reaching over 500 million in sales this year.

"There will probably be a pretty good bit north of half a billion," said Fredrik Wester.

Paradox Interactive has in the past ten years has grown steadily. In the back, the company investment company stall and then just over a year even financier Peter Lindell, principal owner of the venture capital firm Rite Internet Ventures who entered with 28 million.

First, in 2017 it may be necessary to release new games based on any of the White Wolf's brands.

"It's a bet we do, but we see great potential in making these brands broader and introduce them to more players."

Paradox plan and to develop a number of own PC games, and is also actively seeking licensing partners for some titles. Fredrik Wester exclude nor that they will give out mobile games based on the newly acquired titles.

But the marks of this kind are sensitive matter. Players are extremely dedicated and discerning. In order to maintain close contact with the fans do Paradox because White Wolf for an independent subsidiary. President becomes Tobias Sjögren, Paradox Interactive's former sales director, who has worked on the Dice.

He will be the base of a kind of licensed companies like Saltkråkan AB, which owns and manages the rights to Astrid Lindgren's book cat. The new company will be sharing facilities with Paradox Interactive on Södermalm in Stockholm.

"We start with two employees but expects two years that there will be a dozen people. It is not impossible either that we are opening an office in Los Angeles to White Wolf ", said Fredrik Wester.

He sees no danger in the trend of books, movies and television series about vampires peaked among teenagers.

"I absolutely believe that it will come to life again. Even if it could be done, there is a strong nostalgivåg to ride on. Those who played these games in their teens are 25-40 years now and will want to do it again. "

Previously, Paradox Interactive has become known for historically inspired and role-playing tendencies, strategy game Crusader Kings and Magicka. Last summer it was revealed that the studio is heading into space with the upcoming game Stellaris. The work is led by the renowned game designer Henrik Fåhreus.

Fredrik Wester is secretive about whether Paradox Interactive, with the acquisition of the White Wolf, now approaching an IPO. There is something both big stall owner and investor Peter Lindell previously announced.

"We must ensure that the portfolio is growing but at the same time have long term financial stability. There are several different ways to go, "said Fredrik Wester.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

:O

E: apparently it includes CCP-created assets from the MMO too.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 29, 2015

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
The only real change will likely be that a Bloodlines sequel isn't as dead as it was. But opening an office in LA is beyond optimistic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, this is certainly an...interesting decision on Paradox's part.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Looking forward to the new merit "Swedish Vampire", which grants +5 autosuccesses to attack rolls and renders the character immune to aggravated damage

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Dammit Who? posted:

Looking forward to the new merit "Swedish Vampire", which grants +5 autosuccesses to attack rolls and renders the character immune to aggravated damage

Introducing new house rule, Polish Vampire, gets historically accurate +7 autosuccesses to all rolls

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I wonder how someone else owning WW will affect OP's licensing stuff.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Same as unseenlibrarian. I hope Onyx Path still gets to push out all that awesome stuff they are working on, and get to do more later as well!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Dammit Who? posted:

I'm more looking forward to Crusader Kings III: Bloodlines

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Turn-based grand strategy Sabbat vs Camarilla game coming.

I'm actually optimistic! I think the IP has a great potential for videogames. CCP's mistake was trying to do a MMORPG 10 years after MMORPGs stopped to be relevant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

I wonder how someone else owning WW will affect OP's licensing stuff.

This is my biggest question as well, rps didn't even talk about it, but they're a video game site, so I'd imagine they wouldn't care.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

The Real Foogla posted:

I'm more looking forward to Crusader Kings III: Bloodlines

And the subsequent Europa Universalis V: The Order of Reason

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

http://www.whitewolf-publishing.com/

quote:

Tonight, the original saga of monsters among us continues! On October the 26th 2015, Paradox Interactive acquired White Wolf Publishing and the World of Darkness. White Wolf is based in Stockholm, Sweden, with a brand new team and a focused vision. As a separate company owned by Paradox Interactive, White Wolf is dedicated to bringing it’s gritty and mature brand of participatory storytelling to fans new and old. This vision will be realized in multiple digital games titles, across a full range of media and immersive live-action events.
Bring on the night

We have a deep respect and love for the fans and co-creators of the World of Darkness in all it’s various incarnations. We look forward to telling our stories and giving the fans everything they need to continue to tell theirs.

Our goal is to centralize all aspects of the universe to manage it with the love and care it deserves. We’re now focusing on re-evaluating our business relationships to make sure we’re working with the best creators, developers and artists on the planet!
:ohdear:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

...uh.
What exactly does "buying White Wolf" entails, if most of WW's stuff is in OP's hands now?

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

paradoxGentleman posted:

...uh.
What exactly does "buying White Wolf" entails, if most of WW's stuff is in OP's hands now?

Onyx Path only outright owns the Trinity games and Scion. Their WoD and Exalted books (the important stuff) are done under a license, so buying White Wolf means Paradox owns those properties.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

...uh.

Without looking at any kind of legal language at all, I assume that OP is licensing the World of Darkness intellectual property (name, setting, rules framework, NPCs, etc) and any payments for that licensing agreement that were going to CCP are now going to Paradox.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

...uh.

White Wolf has been a de facto holding company for all of WW's IP's since CCP bought it, so Paradox Interactive now owns most of WW's IP (I believe OPP straight-up bought Aberrant and Scion), which includes licensing rights. If OPP wants to publish WoD or Exalted games, they'll probably have to ask Paradox very nicely. If Paradox really wanted to, they could probably license out World of Darkness and Exalted supplements to the guys behind Mutant: År Noll.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I thought it was so extreme that White Wolf effectively didn't exist outside of a couple of people because all the folks who would be working at WW work at OP

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I thought it was so extreme that White Wolf effectively didn't exist outside of a couple of people because all the folks who would be working at WW work at OP

Like Latw said, White Wolf is basically a company with no employees. Paradox bought it, and the WoD IP, which includes all of it's constituent games. Paradox would be completely within their rights to cut off Onyx Path if they wanted to, but it would really get them off on the wrong foot with the fanbase that they're trying to court. But most of the reason Onyx Path had as much freedom as it did was because of CCP's extreme disinterest in the brand. That is definitely going to change.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kurieg posted:

:ohdear: over "best"

This is kind of funny coming right after the Exalted 3 backer PDF preview with plagiarized art and terrible Poser art in it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

quote:

Our goal is to centralize all aspects of the universe to manage it with the love and care it deserves. We’re now focusing on re-evaluating our business relationships to make sure we’re working with the best creators, developers and artists on the planet!

I'll believe this if Beast gets cancelled by the end of the week.

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.
In all fairness, OP has generally been doing really well at producing high-quality projects -- Demon: the Descent, the NWOD Second Editions, and the OWOD 20th Anniversary projects have all been top-notch. The issues with Beast and Ex3 attracted so much criticism precisely because they're not par for the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
You guys are forgetting one important detail: Paradox Dev Studio won't make an rpg; it's outside their expertise (they tried once with that viking game but weren't satisfied with its progress and scrapped the project). But Paradox published Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity and it was a great financial success for them. And I'm pretty sure Obsidian once mentioned they were seriously considering doing a WoD game and approached WW for it just before CCP bought them. They are setting this up for Obsidian.