Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Al Borland posted:

Amen! Bash rats have a good time.

and skipping the loot grind allows one to do that faster and easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Al Borland posted:

I don't have a mouse button like that:(

I just have it bound to middle mouse click, works out fine for me.

Also loot chat remains dumb. If you want to grind the same map over and over to exploit for new gear, so be it. If you want to have fun and go actually play the game, that is cool too. I guess everyone has their own idea of fun, even if I can't comprehend them.

Personally, "look at this cool weapon I got by cheating" is a lot more hollow than "look at this cool weapon I got by slogging through the fur and blood", even if it is random drops. But that is just me v:v:v

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Blue and green weapons are completely unneeded for hard and only barely needed for nightmare. I was running hard as a witch hunter that only had white weapons and as an empire soldier who had a white hammer and green blunderbuss last weekend and did fine in both cases. In 95‰ of cases, if your group wiped in whites they would still wipe in blues and oranges.

I refuse to do black powder because I remember launch Payday 2 and everyone including myself making GBS threads themselves grinding the jewelry store heist mission because that's where loot lived. That poo poo burned me out and ruined the game for me.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 29, 2015

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Fanzay posted:

noo don't break my heart

but the point still stands. gently caress elves. Also the exploit patently wasn't working, because we were loving swarmed by clanrats and stormvermin.

I guess this attitude is pretty common, which would explain why I occasionally get randomly kicked 10 seconds after joining a game. Pubbies are literal trash.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

jewelry store heist mission

Oh god don't remind me.

The worst part isn't even that it gave you that much loot, it was just fast if you stealthed it and got away clean. Which at first NO ONE could do properly in pub groups, but eventually it got to be such a farm that you would run one fun map and the host would go "okay guys jewelry store next right? Right" :downs:

E. Also elf is a great ratblender but long range sniping specials with her is retarded because her arrows aren't hitscan like the guns are.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Personally, "look at this cool weapon I got by cheating" is a lot more hollow than "look at this cool weapon I got by slogging through the fur and blood", even if it is random drops. But that is just me v:v:v

and considering i still have not even had time to go run the exploit even once, im probably never even going to do it. I also have no intention of only ever doing it. My goal is maybe run it a few times tonight after work and be able to have some blues so i can jump to the harder difficulties easily and then enjoy the game there instead of going through the laborious process of fusing whites to get a chance at something ok. There will be plenty of time to go "oh man look at this cool orange i got while playing the game on the highest difficulty"

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

A blue Witch Hunter's brace of pistols will two-shot clan rats with body shots on Cataclysm, headshots are an instakill. Hoping the orange brace can one-shot normal rats with a body shot. Also, 40% spread reduction turns pistol brace into a rapid fire sniper's tool.

Re: bugsploiting. Trinkets make a big difference at harder difficulties, in particular stuff like "take almost no damage from globadiers" and "share healing items with party". Since the rats are so unforgiving, every little bit helps quite a lot. Also, it's not particularly fun to need a dozen slashes to kill a single normal rat either (white weapons).

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SealHammer posted:

I guess this attitude is pretty common, which would explain why I occasionally get randomly kicked 10 seconds after joining a game. Pubbies are literal trash.

I mean, it's been a thing in most fantasy multiplayer games that the elf race and archer/hunter class is generally an idiot magnet. I don't know what it is about both of those things that attracts idiots but it is what it is.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and considering i still have not even had time to go run the exploit even once, im probably never even going to do it. I also have no intention of only ever doing it. My goal is maybe run it a few times tonight after work and be able to have some blues so i can jump to the harder difficulties easily and then enjoy the game there instead of going through the laborious process of fusing whites to get a chance at something ok. There will be plenty of time to go "oh man look at this cool orange i got while playing the game on the highest difficulty"

Why the desire to charge headlong into Cataclysm? That difficulty is the "you have broken nightmare over your knee and now can't get it up anymore" expert mode, and really the only difficulty where gear is strictly necessary

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

SealHammer posted:

:yeah:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why the desire to charge headlong into Cataclysm? That difficulty is the "you have broken nightmare over your knee and now can't get it up anymore" expert mode, and really the only difficulty where gear is strictly necessary

if the gear is unnecessary, it should not be in the game then, and in fact, it would be better without it since it creates this exact situation

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Fanzay posted:

This is not an emptyquote I swear

Whoever posted that banning the Elf is a smart thing to do: I love you. I banned the elf after a couple of games where we were three friends plus one rando pubbie. The pubbie was always the elf, was always useless, and hogged all the healing items. It got particularly bad as we were playing Black Powder on Hard, and the Elf player just sat on his fat rear end in that one tower with the ammo pickups, doing nothing. So, I called him a useless limp-dicked retard, and told him to pick up the barrels. He left the game.

Pretend that's my avatar, rather than Burg's old avatar

Glad to see my pointless Photoshop is being put to use hating those fuckin' Elf bastards.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

You have a broken brain and you're ugly. HTH.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if the gear is unnecessary, it should not be in the game then, and in fact, it would be better without it since it creates this exact situation

Because the loot is the reason you come back to the game. It's the skinner box that keeps people playing. It's strictly unnecessary mechanically but also gives you a neat way to differentiate yourself from others (your hammer has extra guard and mighty shoves? That's cool, mine heals on hit and feeds me ammo!).

Granted I'm not real jazzed about the semi random loot drops (I say semi random because they tend to be weighted toward the character you are playing) due to my previously mentioned Payday 2 grinding allergy, but you know what I do instead of breaking the developers core gameplay loop exploiting a bug? I play the game. It's actually kind of fun, you should try it sometime. If goons give you poo poo about hobo gear then that's a bad goon you shouldn't play with.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Because the loot is the reason you come back to the game. It's the skinner box that keeps people playing. It's strictly unnecessary mechanically but also gives you a neat way to differentiate yourself from others (your hammer has extra guard and mighty shoves? That's cool, mine heals on hit and feeds me ammo!).

People still play l4d2, constantly. There is 0 inherent reason this game need loot to be viable. None.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I feel this problem with black powder is distracting else from the real issue at hand,

which is gently caress the elf.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People still play l4d2, constantly. There is 0 inherent reason this game need loot to be viable. None.

It's a fun, unusual mechanic that helps set it apart from the game it's based upon? Just because you're overestimating the importance of the loot doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game. It just means you should calm down about loot.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

gently caress the elf.

no thanks

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Kamikaze Raider posted:

It's a fun, unusual mechanic that helps set it apart from the game it's based upon? Just because you're overestimating the importance of the loot doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game. It just means you should calm down about loot.

im quite calm, my original response that started this was responding to the person who was getting real mad about his friend doing it since cheaters are scum which is lol

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
People are stupid and don't realize you can have even more fun using Field of Glory rulesets and historical 1/72 scale figures, or even just use old editions of Warhams and use these non-games workshop figures: http://www.hobbylinc.com/1:72-scale-plastic-model-fantasy-figures

44 dwarven figures that don't fall apart on use for $15? Hell yeah sign me up. Compare that to Games Workshop's $35 for 16 figures, that while more detailed fall apart frequently through use, and due to the new "high quality" resins they use also have giant gaping pock-marked bubble cavities throughout the surface.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People still play tf2 constantly and the transition to free to play and the loot grinds were seen as a big shot in the arm for them too.

If your logic is "I'm going to exploit the gently caress out of this mechanic that is also BAD AND IT SHOULDN'T BE IN THE GAME" then I agree with the poster who said your brain is broken.

It's a bug, it will be fixed. I wonder if the devs will go to the length of actually punishing exploiters and /or rewarding people that didn't exploit like what tf2 did when they first started introducing hat grinds that were cheat-engine-able

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CountingWizard posted:

People are stupid and don't realize you can have even more fun using Field of Glory rulesets and historical 1/72 scale figures, or even just use old editions of Warhams and use these non-games workshop figures: http://www.hobbylinc.com/1:72-scale-plastic-model-fantasy-figures

44 dwarven figures that don't fall apart on use for $15? Hell yeah sign me up. Compare that to Games Workshop's $35 for 16 figures, that while more detailed fall apart frequently through use, and due to the new "high quality" resins they use also have giant gaping pock-marked bubble cavities throughout the surface.

The orcs on this page are straight outta early MTG.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Trier posted:

I wanna play the game for real NOW, I was wondering why people were complaining about Black Powder, I've been missing out on the fun because of this guy.

Plus, it's an honor thing, cheaters are scum out of principle.

My e-honor :qq:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

If your logic is "I'm going to exploit the gently caress out of this mechanic that is also BAD AND IT SHOULDN'T BE IN THE GAME" then I agree with the poster who said your brain is broken.

Loot grind = bad, less loot grind = good. i am really missing the lack of logic here. I think the loot system is unneeded and dumb, so getting to skip some of it sounds really appealing to me, since then i can go back to just playing the game to play the game and not chasing a weapon i want, or being annoying that only one character has a good set of weapons but my friend wants to play that one and im stuck with all whites again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Drythe posted:

My e-honor :qq:

exactly lol

Musluk
May 23, 2011

can't loving wait for fotshork to shart out the fix to the exploit so unfunny goons (especially me) will shut the gently caress up about my e-honor :qq: or my loot/hour :qq:

so we can go back to the proper discussion aka

does the pubby make the elf bad, or is the elf responsible for the worst pubbie

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
Yeah the never ending bitching about elves is what this thread should really be about! :c00l:

Musluk
May 23, 2011

never ending bitching about games workshop is also acceptible :coal:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
In the Wizard's Tower, is the big open room in the middle of the map randomized, or does it correspond to the character you pick? It seems like it might be the latter but I've only gone through a few times.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

You guys are so weird, like given half the chance with the elf you all totally would

Push her down some stairs

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

PantsOptional posted:

In the Wizard's Tower, is the big open room in the middle of the map randomized, or does it correspond to the character you pick? It seems like it might be the latter but I've only gone through a few times.

Every character sees something different. Elf sees a forest, wizard a town on fire, Kruber a castle courtyard, etc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PantsOptional posted:

Every member of the group sees the same illusion, which is based on the first person in the group to enter the area. The ones I've seen...

Kruber first: a pastoral setting

Saltzpyre first: the hall of his order (or at least some castle setting)

Sienna: a fire blasted hellscape.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im quite calm, my original response that started this was responding to the person who was getting real mad about his friend doing it since cheaters are scum which is lol

If your friend is exploiting when you don't want them to when you're in the same game that is pretty lovely. Like, you want to kill rats and he is like "Nah dude, there won't be any rats if I stand here, you just carry barrels".

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nah its always unique to each character, you don't have to be the first person in. Basically every character sees their "happy place".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

El Cid posted:

If your friend is exploiting when you don't want them to when you're in the same game that is pretty lovely. Like, you want to kill rats and he is like "Nah dude, there won't be any rats if I stand here, you just carry barrels".

hmm which side should i give the benefit of the doubt to, the one doing a shortcut, or the one who mentioned honor in regards to video games...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah its always unique to each character, you don't have to be the first person in. Basically every character sees their "happy place".

It must be bugged then because I've definitely experienced mismatches (like being Kruber and seeing the whole world on fire).

e: Actually I'm pretty sure you're wrong anyway because the different illusions are not the same geographically. It wouldn't work. People would be walking on air or into invisible walls from other player's perspectives.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

WoodrowSkillson posted:

hmm which side should i give the benefit of the doubt to, the one doing a shortcut, or the one who mentioned honor in regards to video games...

It is a subject near and dear to my heart. My roommate asked if I wanted to play Vermintide last night and after one map was like "Want to go exploit Cata BP?" and I was like "Nah, let's just play through some stuff on hard." "Alright, well I'm going to go do Cata BP runs for a few hours, peace." Lame, roommate. Lame.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Chomp8645 posted:

Every member of the group sees the same illusion, which is based on the first person in the group to enter the area. The ones I've seen...

Kruber first: a pastoral setting

Saltzpyre first: the hall of his order (or at least some castle setting)

Sienna: a fire blasted hellscape.

Where are you getting that from? Everyone gets his own illusion, it doesn't matter who goes in first.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it's great to see people complaining so much about the elves when the fact of the matter is that a bad bright wizard will torch your rear end sky high :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You guys are so weird, like given half the chance with the elf you all totally would

Push her down some stairs

rear end in a top hat Tony's long lost Pubbie sister.

• Locked thread