Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Why yes, there is. And just like Fatal Frame it features a young female whose animators spent way too much time modeling her perfectly crafted butt.

Well drat, I was hoping for a horror thing that limited forceful response through a clever mechanic. Fatal Frame 1 and poo poo,. Cheesecake has better games if that's what ya want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Has anyone played "A Wolf in Autumn"? It's on sale for a buck, looks kind of cool but I'm curious how long and spooky it is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Outpost 13 is apparently not so good after all. drat. I wanted a really good Thing game.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Park is really bad game that attempted to rip-off PT, is full of stupid jump scares, and has an incredibly predictable ending that you could predict right from the start. Also, its only 1 hour of gameplay, and not 2 like the devs claimed.
I liked it OK for what it was, the ending telegraphs itself very hard but I get the feeling that wasn't completely unintended? Some of the early voiceover monologue really tips it. Speaking of that I did really like the voice work. Overall it was a nice, short, guided tour through a slightly unsettling amusement park at night, it was about 2 hours for me, and I played through it all at once which I hardly ever do.

The Secret World tie in felt really unnecessary though, and the jump scares were kind of eh. I didn't hate them but they didn't do much for me either. It felt like they were going for a Silent Hill thing for sure, which I guess would make it a PT thing, especially the end sequence.

So probably skip it if none of that sounds appealing. Unreal Engine 4 is purdy though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Speedball posted:

Outpost 13 is apparently not so good after all. drat. I wanted a really good Thing game.
Yeah not looking good. I can't find any "real" reviews but the general consensus seems to be it's not really finished at this point, and has some bad and confusing puzzles. Even the positive reviews mention that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

al-azad posted:

Why yes, there is. And just like Fatal Frame it features a young female whose animators spent way too much time modeling her perfectly crafted butt.

I really appreciate a lovingly crafted digital butt as it always me to take my butt appreciation to a whole new level!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not horror but no one loves butts like Kojima!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

EmmyOk posted:

Not horror but no one loves butts like Kojima!

:prepop:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

The Vosgian Beast posted:

At this point the internet's reaction to David Cage kind of feels like: "I paid 60$ to purchase Dr. Professor David Cagingworth III's Amazing Sonic Hand Cleaner, but once again, what the good Dr. Professor passes off as a "hand cleaner" is actually a woodchipper, just like his acidic soap, his carcinogenic hair tonic, and his rabid new breed of kittens. I dare say, I don't know how he stays in business. I have paid good money for each of his inventions, and been disappointed each time"

Like, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times...

I guess. Indigo Prophecy started out crazy, and got more crazy as it went along, and I feel like that's pretty much the definition of "works as intended".

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Skyscraper posted:

I guess. Indigo Prophecy started out crazy, and got more crazy as it went along, and I feel like that's pretty much the definition of "works as intended".
People were expecting more of the opening diner scene with the more grounded possibly supernatural murder mystery and the reactivity to your actions. It's no surprise why people were disappointed with the rest.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Indigo Prophecy actually started out really well. Like the very first part of the game was used as the demo, because it was seriously engaging and probably contributed a good deal to helping encourage people to buy it. Doesn't last, but it maintains its status as at least a decent mystery/adventure game. But the game was meant to be much longer than it actually turned out to be and Cage had spent a whole year writing the initial script. When Cage was unable to complete the game on his intended schedule, he very quickly slapped together the final 1/3 or 1/4 of the game (can't remember exactly where it went off the rails) and hacked together an ending practically on the spot. I don't think we'll ever find out exactly what the intended progression and ending of the game was going to be.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Do you think there would've been more or less zombie sex?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

Indigo Prophecy actually started out really well. Like the very first part of the game was used as the demo, because it was seriously engaging and probably contributed a good deal to helping encourage people to buy it. Doesn't last, but it maintains its status as at least a decent mystery/adventure game. But the game was meant to be much longer than it actually turned out to be and Cage had spent a whole year writing the initial script. When Cage was unable to complete the game on his intended schedule, he very quickly slapped together the final 1/3 or 1/4 of the game (can't remember exactly where it went off the rails) and hacked together an ending practically on the spot. I don't think we'll ever find out exactly what the intended progression and ending of the game was going to be.

I can believe that, but I was still satisfied with the final product. Maybe I'm a fanboy, but I would have enjoyed Heavy Rain if the ending was literally anything other than what it ended up being.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

chitoryu12 posted:

Well the game is kind of long as it is, and I'm not sure there's any kind of transition that would have made some later elements not weird and dumb.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bogart posted:

Do you think there would've been more or less zombie sex?

I actually think the protagonist becoming a superhero zombie was one of the rewrites.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The Diner scene was fantastic. So was the rooftop Dragonball Z fight. Game was entertaining in alot of right and wrong ways.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've seen the game LP'd and the "supernatural" half exactly what a 13 year old would write.
Not only does the main character go super saiyan, the main female character falls in love with him right after meeting him, no questions asked. And the main plot device is a little girl. It is so loving "I watch anime and everyone at school beats me up, if only life were more like my favorite anime :("

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So, uh, don't ever assume your second child will be as easy as your first. I suppose it's theoretically possible... but drat.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror
26. Dementium II HD

27. Silence of the Sleep

Now here's a real curveball from the horror genre. Silence of the Sleep looks very much like another Lone Survivor-style side-scrolling horror game, and it is, for a little while. Then it turns into something very, very different, and the change is not altogether unwelcome. I'm going to have to spoil some things about how the game is laid out, because it's very hard to give a proper recommendation without speaking on the game's true structure. However, if what I tell you sounds good, spoilers shouldn't really hurt the experience.

You play as Jacob Reeves, a very sad man who opens the game by chucking himself off a cliff. However, instead of Kratosing through a pantheon, he ends up in a strange, dilapidated hotel with a man I can only assume is the bartender from The Shining. They have a nice talk, and then a shadow thing tries to find and eat Jacob. So, we're off to a pretty good spooky start, right?

The elevator out of the hotel takes Jacob to a black-tie affair in a swanky ballroom. Suddenly the game turns into an adventure game, with Jacob chatting with guests and trying to work out some odd puzzles. There's still a dreamlike veneer over everything that ties back to the hotel opening, but the tone is completely different. After the ballroom is another horror segment, and a very effective one. But after that the game launches into its longest chapter, which has almost zero horror elements throughout. It's nearly all dialog and dealing with NPCs, with hardly even any puzzles to work out.

The end takes it back to horrorland and ties it all together, but all told the game is way more adventure than horror. And that rather works to its benefit, actually. The horror segments can be clumsy and frustrating, with hiding mechanics more touchy than those in Knock Knock and the same navigation problems that plagued Lone Survivor and Claire. I will admit that the spooky bits have some very effective monsters and moments, but playing through them quickly became more tiring than the dialog-heavy parts, strangely enough. The characters of Silence of the Sleep are all well-written and fully-realized, each with goals and hangups to explore. They also make it easier to know how to move the story forward than the scurrying about darkened hallways.

All of this is presented in rich, detailed backdrops for the silhouetted characters to break out against. Silence is a very good-looking game, with some clever uses of its 2D style. The sound design is solid as well, and while the controls are a little stiff, it won't matter much outside of fleeing monsters. I'm not a big fan of this particular story archetype, but Silence of the Sleep had the presentation and the polish to keep me engaged all the way through.

By the way, Silence of the Sleep was made by one dude, and he has another game out now called DISTRAINT. It keeps all the best parts of Silence's art style while going a new way with cartoony characters, and from what I've seen it works pretty well.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

I've had this game in my backlog for the longest time, and after reading this now I'm fairly tempted to finally bust it out to give it a go! For some reason mentioning it ISN'T a pure horror game actually has sorta sold me on it. Might make the horror bits all the more effective when the rest of the game is mostly setup.

Also, not sure if this is super appropriate or not, BUT y'all gave me some good feedback the last time I popped in to drop a weird little horror game jam project, and while this one isn't exactly horror in the purest sense, it definitely deals with some horrific elements/visuals, as it deals with a child who's afraid of his teeth decaying, and I went full-hog on making the nightmare sequences look like the essence of that fear.

Anyway, it's called "The Missing Minute", it's super short and was made for a jam called the Indie Speed Run which will actually start up public voting the day after Halloween, but I figured I'd post this here before Halloween while everyone's still in the spooky mood. Give it a go or don't - but if you do be sure to tell me whatcha think! We lost two days of sleep over this thing, so I can only hope it's at least worth that. As far as gameplay goes, the best way to describe it is like a tower defense where the towers are portable. And also tooth monsters. :ghost:

http://deliinteractive.itch.io/the-missing-minute

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Success!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Zombie Samurai posted:

By the way, Silence of the Sleep was made by one dude, and he has another game out now called DISTRAINT. It keeps all the best parts of Silence's art style while going a new way with cartoony characters, and from what I've seen it works pretty well.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited to start up Distraint after I finish playing Contradiction and I'm even more excited to know the same guy did Silence of the Sleep as well. Also it's a bummer to hear that the Thing game is a mess, and also apparently episodic?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I picked that up a long time ago, but as it turns out, I'm atrocious with adventure games and got stuck following a walkthrough. Be sure to grab the patches, one of them makes it look much nicer.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I get that but main character murder isn't nearly as common compared to a slasher film where people surviving is less common than them dying. Yeah the game had me gripped right until the reveal. I still think though that it's 'your story' element's biggest failing was there being a perfect ending to compare your own against. In a slahser if everyone survives you are shithouse. I would like a version of Until Dawn where you do the murdering.

e: Also Heavy Rain's Demo with the Scott fight and Jayden's crime scene investigation and honestly a game that was more like that would be cool as gently caress. Also one with out Dyvid Cyge

If Heavy Rain had been structured like and had the tone of a Giallo it would have both worked great with the "any character can die" conceit and also been the best game ever.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Yeah Outpost 13 is kind of a mess. I thought it would be a little more of a simple game than it is actually, but it looks like the designer tried to make something a little too complex and it just doesn't work that well. In addition to having glitches and feeling unfinished, the core gameplay is odd. You and the characters in the outpost are on a schedule with a day and night cycle, which is an OK idea in theory, but in practice means there's a lot of time spent wandering around in empty areas of the base.

And the goal is never really super clear; obviously you're trying to kill off the inhabitants of the base, but each of the scenarios are set up so you need to do one certain thing to accomplish that. For example, in one of the science labs, you find a couple scientist doing sciency stuff and the alien presence that's wearing you like a dog suit suggests that the chemicals one of them is mixing looks dangerous. OK great, you can distract her by doing something to the computer (not sure how a dog is manipulating a computer), then go examine the chemicals. At which point you're greeted by this:

Alright, so you've just got to figure out what combination will give you a red and purple vial. Maybe I missed something way off in another part of the outpost, but I didn't have any idea what the numbers or combinations would yield, so I decided to trial and error it. After two whole unsuccessful attempts, it unceremoniously dumped me back to the starting room, because apparently the scientists start to get suspicious when they see a dog intently mixing together chemicals. And also I seem to be banned from that room now, but for how long I have no idea.

Hmmm. I was pretty much lost at this point; I had also found a garage where you're supposed to figure out how to lower a vehicle on top of a guy working underneath it, but I had no clue how to do that either. And each room only has one or two interactive hotspots which you can single click to do A Thing. Maybe I wasn't in the right part of the time cycle, or I had to find another room first, but I really didn't feel like traipsing through the base again. So I gave it about 30 minutes total, which may not be a fair shake, but it just wasn't grabbing me at all.
Nice, where did you dig that up? I used to love scrounging around for old PC games but Steam and GOG have taken a lot of the thrill out of that.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 29, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Nice, where did you dig that up? I used to love scrounging around for old PC games but Steam and GOG have taken a lot of the thrill out of that.

Found it on Amazon for like, $10.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

catlord posted:

I picked that up a long time ago, but as it turns out, I'm atrocious with adventure games and got stuck following a walkthrough. Be sure to grab the patches, one of them makes it look much nicer.

If I'm not mistaken, Scratches is one of those old-school adventure games that will happily let you render your playthrough unwinnable in more than one way.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing
12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition
13. The Emptiness Deluxe Edition
14. Clandestinity of Elsie
15. The Last Door - Collector's Edition
16. Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
17. Murdered: Soul Suspect
18. Unholy Heights
19. Claire
20. Belladonna
21. Hektor
22. Neverending Nightmares
23. Decay: The Mare
24. Uncanny Valley
25. Black Mirror
26. Dementium II HD
27. Silence of the Sleep

28. Lakeview Cabin Collection

There haven't really been a lot of slasher-inspired games thus far, something that Until Dawn will hopefully change. It's strange, too, because they constitute such a major part of horror in cinema, and have all the components of a worthwhile game. Lakeview Cabin Collection puts those components on display in the best way possible, by letting you combine them as you like. And the result is surprisingly addictive.

"Lakeview Cabin" is the title of an in-universe series of horror movies, centered around the titular cursed lake. The game chucks you right onto the street outside the theater, which you can enter to select a movie to enjoy. You can also huck boxes, beat up hobos, plunge toilets, eat popcorn, and harass the cinema staff. It's a great introduction to the ridiculous sandbox nature of the game. On a controller, A lifts and drops things, X throws, shoots, eats, or uses, B moves through doors, and Y lets you switch between controllable characters (4 to a scene). And yes, those commands work on almost every single thing in the game, including people. And their parts.

At this time, LCC contains two episodes, III and IV. V and VI are promised for the future, but I will say up front that the current two are worth the price of admission alone. Episode III is a perfect send-up of Friday the 13th, giving you control of four teens partying on an island. There are beers to drink, bongs to hit, clothes to strip, and fully-functional beds. When night falls, a strange and relentless killer may show up, which you need to puzzle out a way to defeat. It's harder than it sounds because (A) the killer can take a LOT of punishment, and (B) certain elements of the episode are randomized. Your shotgun may not be loaded, or the tools might be hidden in another cabin. The killer also approaches from where you'll least expect him. I'm not kidding, either. If you camp out with weapons, he'll lay low, so you actually have to do idiot horror movie things to draw him out. Which you're going to do anyway, because interacting with the chaotic, bloody world is irresistably fun.

If episode III is an homage to Friday the 13th, episode IV is an amazing recreation of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Your band is stuck on the grounds of the Lakeview Slaughterhouse, and you'll have to do plenty of slaughtering to escape. The creator of LCC listened to feedback about episode III being to puzzley, so IV is far more focused on action. There are tons of freaks and killers to fight and trick as you find your way through their house of horrors, the layout of which is randomized every time you play. However, what really got me about IV was how perfectly it apes the look of TCM, even in pixel form. The whole episode looks loving gross, with clashing colors, washed-out exteriors, equal helpings of gore and disturbing imagery, and some truly messed-up foes.

Despite how entertaining getting your characters high and knocking them into a wood chipper is, Lakeview Cabin Collection still manages to be genuinely scary. Waiting for the killer at the lake or getting spotted by a psycho in the slaughterhouse comes with a perfect audio stinger and a rush of adrenaline as you scramble to respond. The enemies are appropriately deadly and require careful planning to overcome, so there's always an air of dread to encounters. Admittedly, there's not much depth to the antagonists, and that's one place the game could really stand to improve. They just beat on you, or grab weapons and beat on you. Seeing them set traps or kidnap characters would add some variety, but what's there now certainly doesn't get in the way of the fun. And it's such a rare thing, to have a game that's fun and scary in equal measure. Appropriate, too, since that's how the best slasher films are.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Scratches is one of those old-school adventure games that will happily let you render your playthrough unwinnable in more than one way.

Maybe they fixed it with the director's cut but there's absolutely no way to get stuck. If you feel like you're stuck then use the telephone. A few pixel hunting moments aside and a really bad moment in the greenhouse, the puzzles are pretty straightforward.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Patrick Klepek on Kotaku made a list of the 'best' horror games, but because gently caress Gawker, I'll list it here for you. Amnesia: TDD, Outlast, Five Nights at Freddy's, Fatal Frame 2, Siren Blood Curse, Alien Isolation, Condemned 1, Dead Space, ZombiU, and Until Dawn, with honorable mentions to PT and Dreadhalls. Not the worst list ever, even if Outlast is The Lamest poo poo.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I'll absolutely throw a recommendation on Lakeview Cabin Collection as well. It can be a bit weird at first, but that's only because there's just so drat much to play with, which quickly becomes a huge positive as you try desperately to keep your pixelmans and pixelwomans alive.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

al-azad posted:

Maybe they fixed it with the director's cut but there's absolutely no way to get stuck. If you feel like you're stuck then use the telephone. A few pixel hunting moments aside and a really bad moment in the greenhouse, the puzzles are pretty straightforward.

I got stuck in the greenhouse, or an area of it at least, I think it might have bugged out on me or something. What's the greenhouse issue you're thinking of?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

al-azad posted:

I could very well be wrong, my knowledge of Scratches comes from a screenshot LP I read years ago. I just recalled there being one of those classic "push key through keyhole onto paper" puzzles that let you push the key without placing the paper first, thereby losing you the key forever.

I actually considered doing Scratches this month, but I had enough adventure games already and I'm kinda loathe to write something I can't post on Steam as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That was probably fixed in the director's cut if it was an issue because when I played you couldn't move the key without the paper.

catlord posted:

I got stuck in the greenhouse, or an area of it at least, I think it might have bugged out on me or something. What's the greenhouse issue you're thinking of?

It's not an issue, just a bad puzzle that involves following a tiny item that moves through the piping of several rooms and ends up in an area outside you probably never visited ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

catlord posted:

I remember I got stuck bad enough to need a guide in the greenhouse, but I got through the whole rest of the game without a walkthrough.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
So between Outpost 13 and Lucius we're 0-2 on getting a good horror IP about killing people while staying incognito. :(

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dijon du jour posted:

So between Outpost 13 and Lucius we're 0-2 on getting a good horror IP about killing people while staying incognito. :(

Well nothings going to top Hitman...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pathologic HD is out

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

IIRC, that's not the kickstarter remake, that's the original pathologic set to work on modern systems.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

double nine posted:

IIRC, that's not the kickstarter remake, that's the original pathologic set to work on modern systems.
It also a non-poo poo translation which is the biggest thing.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

dijon du jour posted:

Lucius is a bad game? huh, it looked kinda cool, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Pathologic is real good, yall.