Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

As a Millennial I posted:

need a response urgently, i can't poop until i buy this phone.

3d touch is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

3d touch is important

serious answers only plz....

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

apple watch apparently accounts for $1.69 billion of revenue in fiscal 2015

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/29/apple-watch-sales-topped-17-billion-in-five-months

quote:

Apple Watch sales topped $1.7 billion in five months

As part of the company's quarterly 10-Q filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple said that more than 100 percent of the year-over-year revenue growth in its "Other Products" category was attributed to the Apple Watch.

Apple's catch-all category grew from $8.379 billion in 2014 to $10.067 billion in fiscal 2015. That means the Apple Watch represented at least $1.688 billion in sales for the fiscal year, as first noted by VentureBeat.

Of course, the Apple Watch could have actually accounted for considerably more than that sum, as it remains unknown how the rest of Apple's "Other Products" performed in 2015. Also lumped in that group are the Apple TV, Beats hardware, and the iPod lineup, which saw a refresh to the iPod touch in July.

Apple's "Other Products" category had been shrinking until the third fiscal quarter of fiscal 2015, when the Apple Watch launched. During that three-month period, Apple's "Other Products" saw a 56 percent sequential increase in revenue to $2.64 billion.

The Apple Watch didn't launch until April 24, meaning it was only available for just over five months of Apple's fiscal 2015, which concluded on Sept. 26.

Apple has declined to reveal unit sales for the Apple Watch, citing competitive reasons. In this week's quarterly earnings report, the company simply said that Apple Watch sales grew last quarter, and were ahead of their internal expectations.

But the company did reveal in July that that the Apple Watch had outsold the first-generation iPad through its first nine weeks. For perspective, Apple sold 3 million iPads in the touchscreen tablet's first 80 days.

Overall, Apple's "Other Products" category grew 61 percent year over year in fiscal 2015. It's also likely to grow again this quarter with the debut of the new fourth-generation Apple TV, featuring a higher starting price of $149.

As for the Apple Watch, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said this week that his company is in the "early innings of this promising new part of our business."

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i'd get the 6s for the improved camera but thats just me

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

serious answers only plz....
the 2gb of ram in the 6s is really nice. no more continually reloading websites

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

the 2gb of ram in the 6s is really nice. no more continually reloading websites

that actually does look nice

i swear my 5s with iOS 9 reloads websites way more often than my 4 did with... whatever iOS i had on it. loving tim

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios7+ wastes loads of ram on the garbage ui and animations so every app has to get reloaded every time even if you switch for only a second.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
so the watch is still bad, lol

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i just saw in another thread that some of the 6ses use the wrong chip... guess i know what i'm getting now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
both 6s and 6s+ have the same wrong chips. they're bad phones. get a win phone 950 which is coming out soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

doesn't it use the chip that sets your pocket on fire if you so much as listen to music and still manages to be slower than a 3 year old iphone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the 6s has hosed up chips

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically if they aren't sharing real sales data and cite "competitive reasons" it means the watch is tanking harder than expected and they're concealing it by spackling over the numbers with beats headphones sales

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shaggar posted:

yeah the 6s has hosed up chips
no the nokia

and why are you waiting for a windows phone? there are plenty available right now, shaggar!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i was gonna ask the at&t thread if i should do next or a contract and they were all talking about lumias :pwn:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that supremely hosed up guy who works at the microsoft store was in there

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i was gonna ask the at&t thread if i should do next or a contract and they were all talking about lumias :pwn:

those phone leasing plans are almost universally bad deals that cost more than the old way

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i priced out 30 months of it and it was literally the exact same price in the end. i'm trying to figure out what i'm missing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i priced out 30 months of it and it was literally the exact same price in the end. i'm trying to figure out what i'm missing

no up front costs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

computer parts posted:

no up front costs

i mean what i'm missing that's gonna screw me over. it's weird to me that at&t's pushing it so hard. but i'm bad at economics

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

they added an extra fee for "line access" to old contract plans so that they'd cost the same

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

yeah it's the same with Verizon. the plan actually ends up being cheaper when you do the installment plan because they charge you a $15 line access fee instead of a $40 line access fee

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I think carriers are switching because it's easier to get people to buy a phone and they can say "no contracts!" and be technically correct even though if you do cancel you have to pay the balance on your phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it largely depends on your current plan and what phone you want whether it ends up being worth it. family plans almost always end up being cheaper with the installment plans

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i'm v tempted to go to sprint and split a family plan with my girlfriend and get iphones 6s for the both of us

$130/month for 10gb and that includes the lease for 2 phones, and they'll even pay off my verizon contract

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

the cool thing about verizon is they make the pricing scheme confusing as hell. they say the line access fee is $40. when i was out of contract on my traditional plan, they gave me $15 discount. then when i asked what it would be for my iPhone 6s with the installment plan, they quoted me $15.

i also have 6GB of data that I used to come close to using up monthly when I had a longer commute to work and lovely wifi at my house. But now I almost always use under 3. but if I price out downgrading to 3GB, my line access fee goes from $15 back to $25, making savings negligible especially since there's a chance i could go over the limit at some point and get charged an extra fee

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

is that 6s, or 6ses

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is that 6s, or 6ses

iphones 6s

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

thats a good article gently caress woz

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

poty posted:

i dont have an opinion about the woz but they used a fake clickbait "satire" website as a source

http://en.mediamass.net/people/steve-wozniak/highest-paid.html

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pivo posted:

Well, since you guys were curious. I tried it just now with my 6S.

Yes, I was able to add my penis as a TouchID finger, and was able to unlock my phone with it. At first it was being difficult and said it couldn't get a good read, but I managed to get it to work.

So now my phone has 3 things that unlock it. Left thumb, right thumb, and penis. Isn't technology cool?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

goon.txt

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
i'm impressed it has high enough resolution to do that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

i'm v tempted to go to sprint and split a family plan with my girlfriend and get iphones 6s for the both of us

$130/month for 10gb and that includes the lease for 2 phones, and they'll even pay off my verizon contract
you couldn't pay me to switch to sprint

Puppy Galaxy posted:

the cool thing about verizon is they make the pricing scheme confusing as hell. they say the line access fee is $40. when i was out of contract on my traditional plan, they gave me $15 discount. then when i asked what it would be for my iPhone 6s with the installment plan, they quoted me $15.

i also have 6GB of data that I used to come close to using up monthly when I had a longer commute to work and lovely wifi at my house. But now I almost always use under 3. but if I price out downgrading to 3GB, my line access fee goes from $15 back to $25, making savings negligible especially since there's a chance i could go over the limit at some point and get charged an extra fee
this is not at all confusing unless you're retarded

plans under 6gb get $15 discount, those above get $25 if you're out of contract or on edge. how is this confusing?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

you couldn't pay me to switch to sprint

this is not at all confusing unless you're retarded

plans under 6gb get $15 discount, those above get $25 if you're out of contract or on edge. how is this confusing?

because it's not at all clear until the checkout process nor is it stated when you select your plan. they're all listed as $40 line access fees.

also edge doesn't exist and i'm on the "more everything loyal" plan whatever that means and still get the $15 price.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poty posted:

woz is fuckin creaming it, and incredibly relevant, and crempoty doesn't like it/jealous

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

zen death robot posted:

you can't use apple pay at bars, restaurants or most retail places

hell I took my dog to the vet a few days ago and they had a chip/pin machine without contactless

how long did it take for credit/debit cards to be universally accepted everywhere except for that taqueria down the street with the heavenly guacamole/cilantro salsa? the fast food restaurant I worked at for a summer 10 years ago was still cash-only with the ATM machine and everything, but I'm not sure if that was an anomaly.

can any olds shed some insight on this?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pro decision

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

welp apple is appealing the ebooks thing all the way up to the supreme court

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/29/apple-supreme-court-petition-ebook-antitrust-case/

• Locked thread