Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mike the TV posted:

It's hard for me to believe that people still blame Nader for Gore not becoming president in 2000 despite it not being true even a little bit, but I guess the media narrative at the time was popular among defeatist liberals.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's absolutely true that if Nader had not run then Gore certainly would have been president. Nader is not the sole reason that Gore lost, but he definitely made it easier for Bush to win.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Kaal posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's absolutely true that if Nader had not run then Gore certainly would have been president. Nader is not the sole reason that Gore lost, but he definitely made it easier for Bush to win.

Also true of Dr. John Hagelin, who ran on a platform of replacing the DoD with a thousand levitating yogis which would create a positive vibe missile defense shield around the US.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

paranoid randroid posted:

look, do you wanna be the guy who made Lincoln Chafee cry?

Yes, yes I do.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Weird to refer to O'Malley as a real candidate.

He'd be a pretty serious candidate if, you know, Clinton and (nonrunning) Biden didn't exist. His timing just sucks - ain't a lot of room for "semi-boring establishment Democrat" this election.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

He'll take up chronic lifting and bro'ing.

Yeah, but he still won't take up leg days.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If that's not a "gently caress you bitches, your roof, your hole," I don't know what is.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

If he focuses on upper body strength and neglects his legs that man will become a Jenga tower waiting to happen.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

If that's not a "gently caress you bitches, your roof, your hole," I don't know what is.

It's a joke about how he cries all the time

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Joementum posted:

Also true of Dr. John Hagelin, who ran on a platform of replacing the DoD with a thousand levitating yogis which would create a positive vibe missile defense shield around the US.

Nader voters are so cute when they get called out for giving us Bush the 2nd.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Joementum posted:

In the final results, Bush beat Gore by 537 votes. So yes, Hagelin's 2281 votes could have also made the difference. However, Nader was the only one making the news (which is critical to pulling off potential Gore supporters).

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JonathonSpectre posted:

I still can't believe the poo poo I saw last night. We are in a lot of trouble if any of these people make it into the White House, not just because of their troglodyte fantasy ideas but because of what it says about the electorate in our country. If a majority of people can't see right through stupid poo poo like, "Well, I think 10% is enough for GOD so it should be enough for MAMMON!" or "WEED is the biggest scourge in our country!" then maybe we really do deserve to burn.

This will never grow old or fail to sum everything up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Who run the world?

Ryan is closer to the Presidency than Romney will ever get. Must sting just a little. :allears:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Joementum posted:

I mean sure if 2,000 votes is equivalent to 90,000 votes and a national campaign slamming Gore and the Democratic Party. Which is why Hagelin disbanded his third party in 2004 rather than spoil the election again. Third parties are incompatible with the American election system, and Nader (and Green Party progressives generally) should have known better. The 2000 election results absolutely fall on Nader's shoulders, because he stabbed progressives in the back with his vanity campaign.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 29, 2015

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

A Winner is Jew posted:

Hey, girl.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mike the TV posted:

It's hard for me to believe that people still blame Nader for Gore not becoming president in 2000 despite it not being true even a little bit, but I guess the media narrative at the time was popular among defeatist liberals. Do you have any insights into how Bill Clinton caused the housing bubble collapse?

:lol: Ok buddy. It's alright to admit if you voted for Nader. Unless you live in Florida, in which case you should take that secret shame to your grave.

I voted for Bush in 2000, but it was in state that wasn't going to get stolen (PA).

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: Ok buddy. It's alright to admit if you voted for Nader. Unless you live in Florida, in which case you should take that secret shame to your grave.

I voted for Bush in 2000, but it was in state that wasn't going to get stolen (PA).

:dogbutton:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Wait, would that work?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nader did not hand the presidency to Bush, Gore running a losing campaign did.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Want to remind me what was lose-y about it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

And Jeb's voter purge and the SCOTUS.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He didn't bribe the supreme court.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He'd be a pretty serious candidate if, you know, Clinton and (nonrunning) Biden didn't exist. His timing just sucks - ain't a lot of room for "semi-boring establishment Democrat" this election.

Unfortunately I think The Wire sank him before he began.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's hard to run a winning campaign when your nominal allies are constantly slamming you and stealing your votes. Sure Gore could have run a better campaign, but it's insane to ignore that Nader stole nearly 3 million sure-fire Democratic votes from him, just to see his name on the ticket.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There are many reasons why Gore lost. But none of them change the fact that if Nader was not in the race Gore would have won: Nader is one of many but-for causes of Bush II.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Kaal posted:

I mean sure if 2,000 votes is equivalent to 90,000 votes and a national campaign slamming Gore and the Democratic Party. Which is why Hagelin disbanded his third party in 2004 rather than spoil the election again. Third parties are incompatible with the American election system, and Nader (and Green Party progressives generally) should have known better. The 2000 election results absolutely fall on Nader's shoulders, because he stabbed progressives in the back with his vanity campaign.

This just in- running a progressive campaign is "stabbing progressives in the back." Someone get Hillary's PR team on the phone!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was 18 in during the 2000 election and voted for George W. Bush while living in Illinois.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The big one is losing his own drat home state but he also lost states that Clinton had won by multiple percentage points previously. Hell Arkansas went red and that should have been an easy blue pickup if he hadn't decided that sidelining Clinton for the campaign was the thing to do.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fuckin' Pat Buchanan has more of a claim (and has himself supported the claim) to stealing the election from Gore than Nader.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Nah, Sanders is what made him barely relevant. His whole plan was to be the "leftist" guy this cycle, and then Sanders kinda took that role for himself in a more credible manner.

See ya in 2020, O'Malley!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm pretty sure my bicep is bigger than Ryan's leg.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
edit: wrong thread

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 29, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sharkie posted:

i think i have pinkeye. gently caress gently caress gently caress

Well since you misread this as the chat thread I think the diagnosis is confirmed.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

i think i have pinkeye. gently caress gently caress gently caress

Have you now or ever been a member of the communist ophthalmology party?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Gravel Gravy posted:

Have you now or ever been a member of the communist ophthalmology party?

Are they self-certified?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
So anyone have any idea on who Rubio's VP pick is going to be?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

TyroneGoldstein posted:

So anyone have any idea on who Rubio's VP pick is going to be?

Me, former Mets pitcher Bobby Ojeda

you heard it here first

RadicalWall
May 31, 2005

I have no idea whats going on.

I'm gonna miss him. Even if he was an rear end in a top hat at least he had a heart and a brain capable of feeling human emotion.

The House has only anger and rhetoric left.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm pretty sure my bicep is bigger than Ryan's leg.
"I've seen better legs at Col. Sanders. I've seen better legs on Col. Sanders!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, Sanders is what made him barely relevant. His whole plan was to be the "leftist" guy this cycle, and then Sanders kinda took that role for himself in a more credible manner.

See ya in 2020, O'Malley!

I really don't think O'Malley would've caught on even without Bernie in the race. He's very meh.

• Locked thread