Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have a bunch of anchovies that I de-boned and froze a while ago that I need to use up. I've been putting them on pizza and with pasta, but I've got quite a few left to use and I need ideas beyond what I've done or simply dredging and frying them. Thoughts?

If only there were some sort of competition for creative cooking of small fish from which you could draw inspiration...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

If only there were some sort of competition for creative cooking of small fish from which you could draw inspiration...

:ughh:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:laffo:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pile of brown posted:

I don't know why your taco seasoning even includes a thickener though that seems unnecessary.

Commercial taco spice blends contain a lot of thicker, usually starches. Those little envelopes are like 1/2 thickener.

You are right, though... largely unnecessary.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, you didn't get colour (and probably overcooked it - stewing in it's own liquid), because your pan most likely wasn't hot enough for your lo-mein.
I have the same problem with my lovely range/hotplates.
I always cook the meat in small batches, separate. Get them browned but not fully cooked meat aside in a bowl.
Then start the garlic/ginger and veg stirfry (which again, may take a while to cook, and release water in a not hot enough pan on a lovely range).
After that, add sauce and/or stock and shoaxing wine, reduce (I prefer dark soy sauce with mushroom flavour over light soy for the cooking part)
Then near the end, return chicken to pan.
Add noodles if making lo-mein, finish with a dash of light soy and maybe sesame oil.

Okay, thanks. It might be a lovely range, I think it's as old as I am. I think I turned it down a bit after the olive oil started exploding all over my arms when I put the chicken in, though.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Commercial taco spice blends contain a lot of thicker, usually starches. Those little envelopes are like 1/2 thickener.

You are right, though... largely unnecessary.

I used the masa. Just a little bit. Maybe less than a tsp for a pound of ground beef. It ended up sort of chili like and I liked it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Anyone got a good stollen recipe, pref without the marzipan? I was sure I had one but I apparently neglected to steal it from my old workplace when I left.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
What's beef shoulder good for? It's on sale for $2.99 a pound and I haven't had beef in forever, so I was thinking about picking some up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bartlebee posted:

What's beef shoulder good for? It's on sale for $2.99 a pound and I haven't had beef in forever, so I was thinking about picking some up.

Chuck. It makes a good pot roast, but you can cube it up and portion it for beef stew or chilli.

Tis' the season. For hearty stews!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Its good for this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/tender-beef-barbacoa-chipotle-tacos-recipe.html

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Edit: Sorry, I just found the product recommendation thread.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 28, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I turned it down a bit after the olive oil started exploding all over my arms when I put the chicken in, though.
Before slicing up the chicken, pat it with a paper towel to remove any excess exterior moisture. Also, you might have added too much oil. I usually use a cheap oil like peanut or canola for stir fries as well

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.
I bought a one-pound bag of cereal marshmallows. It was not expensive and I mostly did it as part of a complicated argument with a friend because it was only four bucks with free shipping...and I do feel I have to justify it, if only to myself. However, after the first couple of gleeful handfuls stuffed into my gaping maw, the joy wore off a bit.

I could easily do something dumb like make chocolate chip cookies with these, but I want to try something more interesting. If you had a whole pound of cereal marshmallows at your disposal and could not simply eat them like popcorn because it turned out to be a terrible idea, what would you do with them?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ice cream toppings.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Bag it up and give it away for Halloween.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

bartlebee posted:

Works great for boeuf Bourguignon.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CrazySalamander posted:

Bag it up and give it away for Halloween.

Oh, and definitely write "NOT POISON" on each bag to put worried parents' minds at ease.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Along with the apples with curious slit marks on them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can I rehab some 3-week old ground beef that has some (fairly thick) freezer burn on one corner of the packaging? It's the fancy grass fed expensive kind so I'd prefer not to have to chuck the whole thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure. As long as it hasn't gone through multiple defrost/freeze cycles and smells fine. The texture at the freezer burn site may not be super.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommendations for a Romanian cookbook?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommendations for a Romanian cookbook?

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/43215480

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I have three two pounds chunks of pork loin, what's the best way to use some of that?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Cloks posted:

I have three two pounds chunks of pork loin, what's the best way to use some of that?

Pork wellington

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Bulgagi.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Roast it to medium and make cubanos

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
All good ideas. I'm probably going to make bulgogi first because that sounds really good and it's an excuse to have kimchi.

Just kidding, nobody needs an excuse to eat kimchi.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
A bit of a :can: question: I very rarely (hoho!) eat steak but picked up a nice ribeye. Without being too spergy, what's the best way to cook it? A little googling suggests that this is one cut that benefits from being done medium/well. I was thinking simply rubbing it with salt/pepper (or maybe soy sauce instead of the salt), letting it sit for an hour or two, then into the pan and resting under foil at the end, but maybe oven finishing it is the way to go? I have a little probe thermometer that I haven't really used if anyone has particular temps to go for at any stage!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Salt, pan fry on high 4 min a side for medium (it really depends on thickness and how hot your range is - aim for 140F maximum)
Rest 5 min, add pepper.

You really don't need the oven at all (unless you are cooking a lot of steak for heaps of people and need to get new steaks ASAP in the pan), or unless you are going for a hockey puck.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 30, 2015

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Definitely not wanting a hockey puck, I just see a lot of oven finishing floating around these days for steaks in general and the fat makeup apparently makes it a bad choice for going rare (I am no expert). Your method seems spot on so I'm going with that - cheers :) At the risk of making myself sound like more of an idiot, dry pan is the way to go, yes? I don't think this fella needs any oil.

(It's relatively thin - a little over ½" - 3 or 4 a side was my thinking too).

And here I was not wanting to be too spergy...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The steaks I'm used to in Australia are about your thickness, so 4 min a side should be spot on for medium+, 3 min for medium rare.
I always like cooking meats in a stainless steel pan - a good one like tri-ply, in good condition, with a bit of oil to stop it sticking too much. For me it gives the best crust on a small gas range. Lsst night I even cooked salmon on my stainless steel tri-ply pan and it worked perfectly, with crispy skin.
Others, (with maybe electric stoves) prefer cast iron. You could get away with no oil on a well seasoned cast iron pan.

E: even with stainless you could get away without using oil if you had a steak with a fatty edge, just hold them with tongs vertically to render the fat side/edge on the pan before cooking the steak. That's what I do if trying to impress - otherwise I just trim the fat edges off first and use oil.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Oct 30, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Why wife makes this really good chili cheese dip but we've never found a good way to keep it warm for potlucks/office functions.

We've tried using one of these dip warmers/mini-crockpots but they get too hot and scorch the dip.

Anyone know of something else we could try that would keep dip warm but not too warm?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
tea candle and stand?
Not sure if they're still around, but back in the old days I remember wire racks that held a ceramic pot that you put a candle or something underneath, similar to those aromatherapy oil burners but for a tea kettle or food bowl on top. Not sure if they're around any more or an open flame would be OSHA.
Otherwise ask a air con guy for a crankcase heater and plug.

Seriously though, if you still have the device you linked, can you put something inside it, or a terracotta layer to insulate it from heat a bit so it doesn't heat your thing too much? E: Ie, don't put your dip in that mini crock pot directly, put it in a bowl that inserts into that crockpot. It may help some, if it doesn't then sit it on a ring, in a pot, inside that mini crockpot to lessen the heat contact area etc.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 30, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

Anyone know of something else we could try that would keep dip warm but not too warm?

Maybe a sort of bain marie set up? Like a small bowl sitting in a larger bowl full of hot water. You could then either put a tea candle under the larger bowl to keep it hot, or refresh the hot water every so often

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we'll try putting water in the dip warmer and then the dip in a bowl on top of it. Thanks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mr. Wookums posted:

Sure. As long as it hasn't gone through multiple defrost/freeze cycles and smells fine. The texture at the freezer burn site may not be super.

Trip report: I cut off the beefberg corner and then made stuffed butternut squash + meatballs. Haven't died yet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

Maybe a sort of bain marie set up? Like a small bowl sitting in a larger bowl full of hot water. You could then either put a tea candle under the larger bowl to keep it hot, or refresh the hot water every so often

Yeah this is pretty much the only way to solve this issue.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

exquisite tea posted:

Trip report: I cut off the beefberg corner and then made stuffed butternut squash + meatballs. Haven't died yet.

Freezerburn won't kill you, it just tastes like poo poo.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

franco posted:

A bit of a :can: question: I very rarely (hoho!) eat steak but picked up a nice ribeye. Without being too spergy, what's the best way to cook it? A little googling suggests that this is one cut that benefits from being done medium/well. I was thinking simply rubbing it with salt/pepper (or maybe soy sauce instead of the salt), letting it sit for an hour or two, then into the pan and resting under foil at the end, but maybe oven finishing it is the way to go? I have a little probe thermometer that I haven't really used if anyone has particular temps to go for at any stage!

I'd pull it between 120 and 130 and rest it. No steak cut really benefits from being cooked to well but ribeye is the only cut I prefer cooked a little more than MR, due to the high level of fat and connective tissue in it (which is what makes ribeye awesome).

There are also 2 schools of thought on cooking ribeye and imo they are each equally valid and good in their own ways. Doing it in a pan will get more of the surface area caramelized and the beef will cook in its own rendered beef fat, which is cool and good. Doing it on a grill over an open flame will get you a little smokiness as the fat drips into the fire, and will get you some charring which is alao cool and good, especially if there's a fatty bit that's charred on the outside and juicy and fatty on the inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I've been using pork shoulder in chile verde and I'd like to try something different for a change. Unless someone has a better idea, I'm thawing some picnic shoulder roast and I figured I'd just slow cook it as recommended by Serious Eats. I guess picnic roast is a lower part of the shoulder than Boston butt, and a quick search indicates it requires an even longer cook than the butt.

Since Kenji just says "cook it until it feels tender and pulls apart easily", do I need any adjustments other than cooking it longer?