Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Tae posted:

Are you being obtuse just because I didn't finish your favorite game? Because comparing two completely different mediums sound like it.

No, I'm saying Trails is slow paced and reliant on its story. If you don't care for the story's pacing then you're not going to care for anything else. Find another game.

I had the same deal as you when I first played Trails. I found it slow and plodding. Then later I sat down and decided "I'm going to treat this game like a book and I'm going to enjoy that." and I enjoyed it a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Tae posted:

Are you being obtuse just because I didn't finish your favorite game? Because comparing two completely different mediums sound like it.

I dunno man, Trails in the Sky FC has more text than a lot of books, and SC has even more than that, so I'd say the comparison's accurate for once.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tae posted:

no one's mad, you just seem to think it'd be like playing Suikoden 2 without 1. It's a super story heavy game and the story is split between the two games. You probably shouldn't buy SC, it doesn't seem like you'd enjoy it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I never like book comparisons cause much of a game's text is wrapped up in generic towns people text.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I have FC open right now and I'm in Chapter 1 and all the NPCs have small subplots going on that updates after every event. I wouldn't call it "generic".

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I tried to follow as many of those as possible while playing and none of them really interested me, and several had the usual redundancies regarding world events. Just seemed like general world building which is always nice if you are super into the game and setting, but it doesn't really hurt you if you choose to skip them.

Regardless the word count comparison isn't well fitted, the writers for either medium have to do things differently given limitations. A lot of text is allocated to the NPCs but you can still play through FC pretty quickly and be well off enough for SC.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 29, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Things in this chapter that stand out to me: the old couple having an argument about the old man's hobbies, the two rival trade families where one of the dad's was on the airliner but his daughter is also rising up in the business and gaining more control while the other family's son doesn't want to be in the business, the backstabbing Orbment Store owner who fooled a dude who is now drinking his problems away in the bar before deciding he needs to get up on his feet, the ex-army man who started up a clothing store and how his wife slowly begins to accept it, the girl in the stall selling sweets who has to take over when the owner was on the airliner who is nervous at first but gets more and more popular (during one conversation in particular Estelle remarks that she has to seriously focus and try harder because there's a lot of people at stake here not just her own family), and Seagore's ongoing pilgrimage through the country.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

is Trail in the sky fc's "nightmare mode" fun. I've been playing and it's really easy and boring so I might want to just..download a clear save.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

is Trail in the sky fc's "nightmare mode" fun. I've been playing and it's really easy and boring so I might want to just..download a clear save.

Spacedrake said in another thread it is basically NG+ only.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah they just apply big multipliers to enemy stats pretty lazily. It's only feasible on NG+ and the formulas aren't really balanced around it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

It's like the last boss from Lagoon, except with controls that can actually evade that attack pattern!

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Tae posted:

Trails in the Sky was originally planned as one game that got split up because releasing it that way would have bankrupted the company. You can't just skip to the second one.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

yeah they just apply big multipliers to enemy stats pretty lazily. It's only feasible on NG+ and the formulas aren't really balanced around it

lame!! the combat infrastructure is really good but I just really quickly outstripped all the enemies without trying. I know you can run away without penalty but it's kind of annoying to keep having to do that after enemies pop up right in front of you on the map.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
how many apocalypses are we up to now in the drakengard + nier universe (theyre connected right?). like 4 in a row?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

lame!! the combat infrastructure is really good but I just really quickly outstripped all the enemies without trying. I know you can run away without penalty but it's kind of annoying to keep having to do that after enemies pop up right in front of you on the map.

There should be quartz that make enemies more visible and make them ignore you, you can just walk past whatever you don't want to fight

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

After the talk about DQ7's slow pace, and hearing the same thing about Trails, maybe I should try out Trails for my placid JRPG fix since DQ7 isn't available.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trails is positively speedy compared to DQ7

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I heard, your first battle isn't for like 7 hours.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
It really bothers me that Developers can program the light output of the PS4 controller, and Bandai Namco made the decision to choose the same red that the critical failure warning gives. Like who decided on this when porting over TOZ.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

Boss battle, maybe, but you get to fight some stuff like an hour in, tops.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Red Red Blue posted:

There should be quartz that make enemies more visible and make them ignore you, you can just walk past whatever you don't want to fight

I can't tell if you're being facetious but for people who don't know there are quartzes that do exactly those two things.

Edit: Oh, never mind, you weren't saying 'it would be nice if they had these' but rather 'you should be able to find the quartzes that do this because they exist'. Sorry, I misinterpreted your intent.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I am amazed and enthralled that there will finally be a good Drakengard game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Butt Ghost posted:

C'mon, Nier didn't have the best combat, but it was most definitely a good game.

Also 'good Drakengard game' is a very low bar to set.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I love Nier, but as a game it's a bit mind-numbing. At the very least, it doesn't physically hurt to play like an entry from the main series.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sure, but consider this: boar drifting

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Can't argue with that

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Relin posted:

how many apocalypses are we up to now in the drakengard + nier universe (theyre connected right?). like 4 in a row?

the apocalypse has had an apocalypse - nier: blood dragon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Any word on when the PAL PSN store will get the PSP version of Trails in the Sky SC?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Any word on when the PAL PSN store will get the PSP version of Trails in the Sky SC?

*sobbing noises*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

*sobbing noises*

Oh. :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

XSeed's official stance on social media is 'we'll keep you posted'.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Relin posted:

One. It kind of just started in one world and moved into the other.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Would you say there's a certain hostility towards anything turn based these days?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not really. maybe random encounters, but not turn based in general

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Random encounters is the biggest thing that people hate from the past. Turn-based still has very much a place, in some fashion as it's still being done recently.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

That first dungeon is the best part of DQ7

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's some cool areas in DQ7 but everything takes so long that they all run together. About the only thing I can remember now is the party calling the Wind Spirit a slut the minute she got off screen. She demanded a 5 year supply of hot guys as payment for waking her up and hit on everything in a 3 mile radius in her minute of screen time :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

Would you say there's a certain hostility towards anything turn based these days?

There is from me

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Butt Ghost posted:

drakengard is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HGH posted:

I wouldn't say hostility but bad turn based combat is especially egregious because it's basically a test of how much time you have. If Planescape: Torment had turn-based combat, where each character had to move individually on their turn, people wouldn't speak so fondly of it. At least with real time games everything moves at a consistent pace.