Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Logikv9 posted:

I'm getting a little uneasy on my RUBIO.RNOM yes shares because of all the new developments about how he has basically quit the senate in all but name only. I'll see if this stuff sticks but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody uses it against him once his numbers goes up.

hope you didnt sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So if there are people who literally get the poll results one day earlier than everyone else, there's literally no way the poll markets can be fair?

VVV Well that's the thing, there are a bunch of people in the comments saying Gallup is dropping big tomorrow.

pathetic little tramp has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

In order for Gallup's current poll number not to drop tomorrow, tomorrow's daily poll needs to be at least 48% or higher. No idea how likely or unlikely that is.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Well, the polls for at least 3 out of the last 5 days were at least .48 or higher according to that GA screenshot somebody posted. So, definitely likely, but hardly more than a 55-60% chance maybe. Somebody great at probability on the fly can probably figure it out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

In order for Gallup's current poll number not to drop tomorrow, tomorrow's daily poll needs to be at least 48% or higher. No idea how likely or unlikely that is.

But even if that happens, wouldn't 46% still eek out a win?

This is so idiotic.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Well 46 is down to 20% anyway, people are gullible as gently caress on these. I need to start building up a crazy persona to manipulate the markets.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

But even if that happens, wouldn't 46% still eek out a win?

This is so idiotic.

OK, so it seems as though traders's current concerns are revolving around the Gallup and the Rasmussen because they operate on daily rolling averages (is the Rasmussen really updated daily? No idea.).

I recalculated the Gallup averaging (because I figured out how to turn off their silly whole numbers rounding) and tomorrow's poll actually only needs to be 46.563% in order for the averaged total to add up to 46.5, get rounded up, and produce no change.

But even then, tomorrow's daily Rasmussen needs to be higher than the average of 50 (or 49.5, since they probably round too) for no change to occur. People are betting that at least one of the two will change sufficiently to cause a drop.

(This is still all idle speculation and that market is totally nuts.)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Zeta Taskforce posted:

There is a new Obama approval market out after a short absence. They are pure gambling, but I'm going to do an experiment to see if I can outsmart it.

I'm going to buy 3 dollars worth of NO in each tranche (or as close to $3 as I can) each day. That is $15 per day. After 7 days I will have invested $105, which is more than I like to have invested in something, but seeing how I would be winning 4 out of 5, there is no circumstance where I would be losing most of it. But I will see if systematic dollar cost averaging will yield benefits, where I would be buying more on temporary dips and less on temporary spikes. It won't work if the polls are remarkably stable and I am dumping 20% of my money into a hole and the other 80% marginally pay out, but normally there are wild swings every day back and forth, so I should be picking up some very cheap shares that eventually pay out

I will report back how I did.

I'm still following this strategy, and the only modification I would have made is to put less money in early in the week when the markets are more stable and weight it towards the end when there are wild swings. The good news is I bought $4 of NO in every tranche and that meant I bought 27 NO @ 15 for 46+ and comparatively fewer of the others. Still wondering how it will turn out in the end.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Combed Thunderclap posted:

OK, so it seems as though traders's current concerns are revolving around the Gallup and the Rasmussen because they operate on daily rolling averages (is the Rasmussen really updated daily? No idea.).

I recalculated the Gallup averaging (because I figured out how to turn off their silly whole numbers rounding) and tomorrow's poll actually only needs to be 46.563% in order for the averaged total to add up to 46.5, get rounded up, and produce no change.

But even then, tomorrow's daily Rasmussen needs to be higher than the average of 50 (or 49.5, since they probably round too) for no change to occur. People are betting that at least one of the two will change sufficiently to cause a drop.

(This is still all idle speculation and that market is totally nuts.)

There are a lot of people in there saying "I don't see how Ras could go up tomorrow" but it very easily could. They want to play it like those idiots at the roulette wheel who say "black is due!" but the Ras tomorrow could easily be an upward outlier. There's nothing informing this, just wild speculation and straight gambling.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

There are a lot of people in there saying "I don't see how Ras could go up tomorrow" but it very easily could. They want to play it like those idiots at the roulette wheel who say "black is due!" but the Ras tomorrow could easily be an upward outlier. There's nothing informing this, just wild speculation and straight gambling.

Yep! I definitely think either outcome is possible. Likelihoods on what's possible won't actually change until Gallup's daily poll is released tomorrow.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god don't play the poll markets

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Aliquid posted:

i have learned my lesson. my milk today is sour.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Aliquid posted:

Oh I'm not, I'm just watching the people in the comments go into hysterics and the markets swinging 20 points at the slightest provocation.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I thought I had a huge swing last night, but in fact they just closed out my Paul Ryan NO positions. I really don't like that gain/loss bar.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

thethreeman
May 10, 2008
Fallen Rib
My Bush, Bernie, and Carson NOs are doing well this week... Hoping polls show a bit of drainage from Carson to Cruz after the debate.

Is anyone here invested in the LA Gubernatorial race contracts? Near 50/50. Seems like Edwards should be ahead given all of the stats (wide leads in all recent polls, endorsements, etc), but I have no deeper experience in the region's politics beyond reading a series of articles on the race recently.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Threw some Biden/Ryan winnings on this Obama poll market and lol that'll teach me to gamble on that ever again

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I'll lose some on the Obama poll market, but I luckily balanced most of it out by doing well on the debate market last night. My strategy of buying low on some of the candidates and selling quickly after they said a few good zingers and went up in the market worked out. I may be out of the poll markets after today, too. Had a good run, but..no more.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I only put in a bit of my Ryan profits so I'm just enjoying this taste of chaos. :)

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

thethreeman posted:

My Bush, Bernie, and Carson NOs are doing well this week... Hoping polls show a bit of drainage from Carson to Cruz after the debate.

Is anyone here invested in the LA Gubernatorial race contracts? Near 50/50. Seems like Edwards should be ahead given all of the stats (wide leads in all recent polls, endorsements, etc), but I have no deeper experience in the region's politics beyond reading a series of articles on the race recently.

I originally got in for the Dems winning @ 29-30, got out at about .40, then quickly bought back in again. The fact is this is an off-year election in a deep red state. Someone had a good quote, and it's that the race will come down to whether voters hate Obama more than they dislike Vitter. Hard to say. 50/50 seems about right, but I like Bel Edwards' chances in this one.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

hope you didnt sell

nope, rubio not only made my dreams come true but also streamrolled jeb! in the process which boosted other shares I was holding :getin:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I'm going to buy Rubio NO because Ted Cruz is going to win the election.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Can we just add a big bolded DONT PLAY THE POLL MARKETS to the OP?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It should be in the helpful hints section.

Also the "don't make bets while drunk" should be taken out because I've made like 10 bucks while I'm drunk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JosefStalinator posted:

Can we just add a big bolded DONT PLAY THE POLL MARKETS to the OP?

There are ways to play them, but definitely don't play the poll markets the day before they close off crowd sourced info. Either get in at the beginning and cash out by day 3 or wait until the end and buy up the penny profits on a definite thing. Keeping in mind of course that some intern at RCP could decided to add or remove polls at any time, including 11:59:58 seconds the day it ends.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

If I had any personal advice I could add to the OP, it would be to avoid putting money in any markets for 24 hours after a market closes. Too easy to ride a high right into a market you don't actually know anything about. (Godspeed, :20bux: in the poll market.)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
I really don't see why LAGOV is 50/50. It's Louisiana, an abortion scandal that's already running through the spin machine isn't going to keep people from voting for a republican. There'd have to be video of Vitter doing the abortion himself by hand, and even then I'd say Edwards wins maybe 50.2 to 49.8.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I really don't see why LAGOV is 50/50. It's Louisiana, an abortion scandal that's already running through the spin machine isn't going to keep people from voting for a republican. There'd have to be video of Vitter doing the abortion himself by hand, and even then I'd say Edwards wins maybe 50.2 to 49.8.

Yeah I have a poo poo load of money in that one, the buy/sell spread on REP YES is like 20 cents right now for some reason too.

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

those idiots at the roulette wheel who say "black is due!"

At this point, such idiots are far more rational than the poll markets.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
updated the OP

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Stereotype posted:

It should be in the helpful hints section.

Also the "don't make bets while drunk" should be taken out because I've made like 10 bucks while I'm drunk.

Are you John Mulaney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmuIVwq3aeY

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Milk Malk posted:

i have learned my lesson. my milk today is sour.

i need a pie chart about predictit poll markets

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

The senate is voting on the debt limit increase in 8 minutes and there are still NO shares to be had

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

I thought I had a huge swing last night, but in fact they just closed out my Paul Ryan NO positions. I really don't like that gain/loss bar.

Now I thought I had a huge negative swing last night but I just sold all my Budget YES positions at 99c, so my gain/loss went from hugely positive to hugely negative even though I made a bunch of money. Is there an option to change that bar up top?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The Obama 46% market is shooting back up for some reason

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

Rasmussen has a 51 today.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

Milk Malk posted:

Rasmussen has a 51 today.

I still decided to get out at .70 -- exactly where I got in. Don't know what Gallup's going to do now, so I didn't want to risk it. Put the rest of my available money in Jeb NO for the nomination. Just gonna let that sit for a while.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nachos posted:

The Obama 46% market is shooting back up for some reason

Still no regrets about cutting and running.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
DPRKNUKE15 NO is still way undervalued imo if anyone wants in on that.

edit: lol I forgot how dumb this market used to be:

Necc0 has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
new CNN post-debate Republican poll

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/20/politics/carly-fiorina-donald-trump-republican-2016-poll/

• Locked thread