Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

quote:

"And an ambition that he will return from his ban to lead the next Fifa congress in February. “If God is with me, I do hope that I’ll be back as president of Fifa. Then I could at least conduct this congress. This is my dream.”

This is my dream too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Lol

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Haha

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"How dare they fix the race that I'd already fixed!"

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

blue footed boobie posted:

He's not actually admitting to anything illegal. If FIFA wants to figure out who gets the world cup before the voting they're free to do it, but he's basically admitting that the world cup selection process is a farce and that makes his position untenable.

In the UK he's just admitted to being part of a criminal conspiracy to commit fraud. I'm pretty sure he's done the same in the US, Australia etc.

Added to which he's just opened the doors for every country who bid for the World Cup to sue FIFA and have a pretty good chance of winning.

I figure he knows he''s going down, so he wants to take it all down with him.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

PST posted:

In the UK he's just admitted to being part of a criminal conspiracy to commit fraud. I'm pretty sure he's done the same in the US, Australia etc.

Added to which he's just opened the doors for every country who bid for the World Cup to sue FIFA and have a pretty good chance of winning.

I figure he knows he''s going down, so he wants to take it all down with him.

Hopefully he does bring it all down because that's the only thing that can fix the organization. Fortunately, the rules for actually playing football are well-documented so restarting the overall regulatory body shouldn't disrupt any actual matches.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Honestly, even if they tore FIFA apart and started all over, there is so much money involved I can't see the next generation not being just as corrupt. Maybe they will learn a couple of lessons to not be so glaringly obvious.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Bea Nanner posted:

Honestly, even if they tore FIFA apart and started all over, there is so much money involved I can't see the next generation not being just as corrupt. Maybe they will learn a couple of lessons to not be so glaringly obvious.

Answer is harsh ban with reporting to proper if caught using unreported bank accounts.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

PST posted:

Eh, not really. It's not a crime to decide a contest before you see a bunch of pretty presentations.

There could be civil liability, but it's not exactly a slam dunk.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Eh, not really. It's not a crime to decide a contest before you see a bunch of pretty presentations.

There could be civil liability, but it's not exactly a slam dunk.

It is if countries are bidding for it and spending money on those bids, at least in the UK and I'm pretty sure that there'll be similar laws in a bunch of other countries.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

PST posted:

It is if countries are bidding for it and spending money on those bids, at least in the UK and I'm pretty sure that there'll be similar laws in a bunch of other countries.

This still doesn't make it illegal. All he's admitted to is discussing the issue and coming to a consensus before the voting. There was most definitely illegal stuff going down, but he hasn't copped to breaking any laws yet.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

I would name my band Tokyo Sexwale.
Have a pro sax player and name it Tokyo Sexwail

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shoren posted:

Hopefully he does bring it all down because that's the only thing that can fix the organization. Fortunately, the rules for actually playing football are well-documented so restarting the overall regulatory body shouldn't disrupt any actual matches.

IFAB are in control of the rules not FIFA

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

This still doesn't make it illegal. All he's admitted to is discussing the issue and coming to a consensus before the voting. There was most definitely illegal stuff going down, but he hasn't copped to breaking any laws yet.

It does. Its fraud to solicit for bids on anything when the contract has already been decided. The fact that multiple parties were in cahoots on it also makes it a conspiracy, every country will have similar laws on this as its one of the fundamentals of contracts.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

ukle posted:

It does. Its fraud to solicit for bids on anything when the contract has already been decided. The fact that multiple parties were in cahoots on it also makes it a conspiracy, every country will have similar laws on this as its one of the fundamentals of contracts.

That doesn't sound at all like what we are taking about here, though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

That doesn't sound at all like what we are taking about here, though.

If they had already decided, previous to hearing the bids, that the world cup was going to Russia they committed a version of fraud. Fraud does not always mean that they were directly in receivership of money, but that they fraudulently represented themselves to other people. Having a farce of a world cup vote and bidding process where the result had been determined before that would qualify as fraud.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

If they had already decided, previous to hearing the bids, that the world cup was going to Russia they committed a version of fraud. Fraud does not always mean that they were directly in receivership of money, but that they fraudulently represented themselves to other people. Having a farce of a world cup vote and bidding process where the result had been determined before that would qualify as fraud.

Sepp Blatter posted:

In 2010 we had a discussion of the World Cup and then we went to a double decision. For the World Cups it was agreed that we go to Russia because it’s never been in Russia, eastern Europe, and for 2022 we go back to America. And so we will have the World Cup in the two biggest political powers.

The question then is: Did they decide the hosts by committee before the bids were seen, or did they decide after seeing the bids, but before the votes were cast?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shoren posted:

The question then is: Did they decide the hosts by committee before the bids were seen, or did they decide after seeing the bids, but before the votes were cast?

Isn't it still fraud to collude on a vote?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm no legal expert, but it seems more of a gray area if the decision was made after the bids. It would be far more open and shut if the decision was made before the bidding process ended, plus you'd have to prove certain things about the voting process to ensure wrong-doing. Obviously we "know" just about everyone in the upper tier of FIFA is corrupt as hell, but it's a little harder to prove that in court.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Not unless the guidelines the parties were working under said there wouldn't be discussions after bids were received.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
The thing is that had they stuck with the plan of Russia and then the US, they would have gotten away with it. Like Russia would have been skeevy, but perfectly reasonable. Some grumbling about the Sochi Olympics and then everyone would move on. Qatar is really what made everyone go what the gently caress?

Sepp Blatter would have kept the money train going. I've come around, Sepp Blatter is Good For Football.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

foobardog posted:

Qatar is really what made everyone go what the gently caress?

They were promising Bond Villain-esque levels of weather control with man-made, remote control cloud drones with modular stadiums that would be dismantled after the Cup and given to African countries. Yes, it was an insane bid based on non-existent technology and glitter. They claimed the 120° heat of the summer wouldn't be an issue and of course they wouldn't move the dates of the tournament.

When a bunch of FIFA Ex-Co members suddenly became great friends of the nation of Qatar and start getting Spanish villas, artwork, cushy job postings, etc right before a major vote on an issue concerning Qatar and all of a sudden Qatar wins the vote when it would never have even been considered, I mean, it's hard not to call shenanigans. It was the most obvious bribe/corruption job the world had seen in a while. They didn't even really try to hide it.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
I sometimes wonder if Qatar winning was an accident. Like each voter thought to themselves "I'm safe to accept their bribe because no-one else would be stupid and greedy enough to vote for this obvious joke bid with no chance of winning", completely underestimating the greed and stupidity of their fellow FIFA execs.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Blue Star Error posted:

I sometimes wonder if Qatar winning was an accident. Like each voter thought to themselves "I'm safe to accept their bribe because no-one else would be stupid and greedy enough to vote for this obvious joke bid with no chance of winning", completely underestimating the greed and stupidity of their fellow FIFA execs.

I wonder if that's exactly how Qatar sold it, surprise bid after personal meetings and the birth of a dream. I wonder if it was sold to them as a starring role in the sequel to United Passions: Dream On 2066. Then Qatar wins the bid and everybody in FIFA collectively shits themselves and goes insane.Fun fact; Tokyo Sexwale was interned in Robben Island alongside Nelson Mandela.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blue Star Error posted:

I dunno if this holds up because

first of all there were four rounds of voting so if anybody was seriously worried about how bad the bid was they might have switched their vote after it became clear Qatar had bribed everybody else too, and second of all there were three people who originally voted for South Korea who switched their votes to Qatar rather than the US despite the clear terribleness of the bid.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

I dunno if this holds up because

first of all there were four rounds of voting so if anybody was seriously worried about how bad the bid was they might have switched their vote after it became clear Qatar had bribed everybody else too, and second of all there were three people who originally voted for South Korea who switched their votes to Qatar rather than the US despite the clear terribleness of the bid.

I'm sure wikipedia will hold up well in the court of law.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I'm sure wikipedia will hold up well in the court of law.

While that is form Wikipedia, that is absolutely how the voting went when they counted the votes each round publicly.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

While that is form Wikipedia, that is absolutely how the voting went when they counted the votes each round publicly.

So it would appear that Qatar won the vote fair and square, I think we're done here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think you're reading what he's writing

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's not the vote that was crooked, but the voters.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
On a new front, German Police have raided the German FA (DFB) over the 2006 World Cup.

quote:

Police in Frankfurt have raided the headquarters of the German Football Association (DFB) over allegations of tax evasion linked to 2006 Fifa World Cup, prosecutors say.

The homes of DFB President Wolfgang Niersbach and his predecessor, Theo Zwanziger, were also being searched, according to German newspaper Bild.

It follows reports that a secret €6.7m (£4.9m) fund was set up to secure votes for Germany to host the 2006 World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34708640

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Kühl und gut.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

ephex posted:

Kühl und gut.

Einverstanden.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Healbot posted:

Einverstanden.

Gleich.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
:kommrein:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pand posted:

Gleich.

Wunderbar

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
:siren: EXTRADITION ALERT :siren:

Would you like to know more?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34713892

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Bea Nanner posted:

:siren: EXTRADITION ALERT :siren:

Would you like to know more?
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34713892

He actually pled not guilty. Good lord. I get the feeling these guys have been in the system for so long they have no clue how hosed they are.

E: On second thought, this was probably only the initial appearance where everyone pleads not guilty (lot of federal judges won't even let you plead guilty at an initial appearance.)

Point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!