Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

coconono posted:

what? he was great on Colt's podcast. We got to hear about how he shot his dad.

He was on Stone Cold's today and he sounded like he was on some poo poo. He also was shilling his new documentary so he couldn't tell any of the good stories so we'd go pay for the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Ultimately why I love the discussions about the HOF is it's less about the destination than the journey. So, like, guy gets in, and that's great, but the fun is in hearing about their accomplishments, the could-have-beens, and so forth, and that's why HOF talk is so enjoyable to me.

I guess for me the disconnect is when a lot of time is spent on guys that were decades before my time. I totally get why people love it; it's just a different strokes for different folks thing.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Muddy Burphy posted:

I guess for me the disconnect is when a lot of time is spent on guys that were decades before my time. I totally get why people love it; it's just a different strokes for different folks thing.

Yeah I'm kind of with you on the older wrestlers I know literally nothing about, like I just fast forward when they start talking about the intricacies of Bugsy Wristlock's drawing power in 1939. When it comes to current guys it's pretty fascinating though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Muddy Burphy posted:

its hard for me to get into guys that have extremely little footage available. Yeah its great you looked up the attendance record but that's assuming main events have always been the draw which isn't true.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Fluffdaddy posted:

He was on Stone Cold's today and he sounded like he was on some poo poo. He also was shilling his new documentary so he couldn't tell any of the good stories so we'd go pay for the movie.

Buff did a legendary interview with Alvarez where he so high he didn't seem to know where he was or even what year it was

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Luigi Thirty posted:

From Court Bauer and Alex Greenfield's latest podcast: (around 22:00)

independent contractors

Fluffdaddy posted:

Buff Bagwell is a terrible interview. Holy poo poo.

Bryan did an interview with him years ago and he cut it off after 10 minutes.

Bryan: What do you think of the new monday night wars between TNA and WWE?"

Bags: Oh gosh yeah I was the tag team champions at the time!

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

Spermgod posted:

this is the loving worst. why does he do it. why

What if Brawn Strow-MAN opened a MAN-golian grill?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Fluffdaddy posted:

He has an AMA coming up in a couple days so it should be a trainwreck

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed the HOF discussion, though I kinda wish that Bryan had just recorded a Q/A session with Dave separately since he's obviously bored and just wants to get through the list as quickly as possible.

Maybe that's a little unfair, he perked up when they got to the more modern guys and was able to contribute on guys like Edge and Daniel Bryan, and I really enjoyed both him and Dave rushing to defend Kurt Angle being a HOFer (as they should, because Kurt absolutely is).

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fluffdaddy posted:

My favorite part was Buff not telling the dad shooting story as a hook for buying his dumbass movie when you can just listen to it for free on his Art of Wrestling episode. Without that, his second biggest selling point was that he gets mad at 2 Cold Scorpio. Riveting stuff, Buff. I do hope that we get gigolo stories on part 2.

Does anybody else listen to the Taz Show? I was worried about the transition away from being a straight podcast, but it's a good way to kill time at work and I think the sports talk radio format for wrestling sets him apart from other podcasts. Obviously daily listening isn't required but it is nice to hear someone break down mechanics of each show (especially who popped their hips best throwing suplexes on Raw and NXT).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think Taz is a great radio host and I listen to his show on the way to work if nothing from the Observer or MLW interest me that day. He's really good at breaking down the action and whenever he's doing fantasy drafts with Mike Tenay is hilarious.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who was discussed on the HOF segment then?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm laughing so hard at Bryan trying to wrap his head around supply and demand pricing

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i submitted a song for the new craig contest. i didn't put as much work into it as i could have but i think it's funny.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mRFUAQcaIp

i would've done something with that ~15 second stretch at the start but i had worked for like an hour on the chorus and got bored

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 30, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
kurt going in when he did was silly and a good argument for raising the age of eligibility

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.

Cardboard Box posted:

i submitted a song for the new craig contest. i didn't put as much work into it as i could have but i think it's funny.

i would've done something with that ~15 second stretch at the start but i had worked for like an hour on the chorus and got bored

This is pretty great.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I already forgot what the contest was because the Vinny V Finisher Name contest sounded way cooler.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Spermgod posted:

post the davest quotes you got

Meltzer in the 90s ‏@ObserverQuotes 5m5 minutes ago
Shane Douglas claimed he tore his groin in an intense workout with Francine which was meant as a joke (you know, really rough sex). [2/97]

I'm not in a place to look up the exact quote, but Dave describing a pearl necklace while recapping a ZZ Top segment on Raw was sure something.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I already forgot what the contest was because the Vinny V Finisher Name contest sounded way cooler.

hair metal/classic rock song contest

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

That was pretty good. Pleasantly surprised there was no Chris Benoit drop.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Dave had a great line about Tommy Dreamer at BFG this year.

" Dreamer was wearing polka dots as a tribute to Dusty Rhodes, who was one of his favorite wrestlers growing up. It’s so weird that these guys do this when Rhodes himself said in one of his last tweets before his death that he was sick of pictures of him dancing with the polka dots and that it was one year and three months (actually a little longer than that) of a 50 year career. Dreamer was not only emulating Rhodes’ trademark flip, flop and fly and other spots, but also emulating his physique."

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Spermgod posted:

kurt going in when he did was silly and a good argument for raising the age of eligibility

nah

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

That was pretty good. Pleasantly surprised there was no Chris Benoit drop.

nah i'd actually like to win lmao

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

:effort:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1cg95zBMm2h

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think Taz is a great radio host and I listen to his show on the way to work if nothing from the Observer or MLW interest me that day. He's really good at breaking down the action and whenever he's doing fantasy drafts with Mike Tenay is hilarious.

Yeah, Taz is really engaging and good at keeping his show moving, and manages to get his opinion (hey, just HIS opinion, OK!) across well. Like, I may not agree with him about needing the colour commentator to be a legit former top star, but I get his point about credibility.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

The muscle stronger than Lex Luger's pecs are... his eyes!!!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Taz is really engaging and good at keeping his show moving, and manages to get his opinion (hey, just HIS opinion, OK!) across well. Like, I may not agree with him about needing the colour commentator to be a legit former top star, but I get his point about credibility.

I don't enjoy his show as much now that Seth (and the constant burying thereof) are not as prominently featured.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Dave's first thought on JYD as a HoF candidate ("You know he's a lot like Kerry von Erich") had me :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I forget, why does Dave hate JYD so much?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Because he was a poor worker even at his peak, and past his peak he also got badly out of shape and was utterly terrible in the ring. There was certainly a point when there was no upside to the Junkyard Dog, and yet he was on TV screens long after that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

DynamiteKidd posted:

Because he was a poor worker even at his peak, and past his peak he also got badly out of shape and was utterly terrible in the ring. There was certainly a point when there was no upside to the Junkyard Dog, and yet he was on TV screens long after that.

Did he not draw well enough to make up for that? Dave is usually pretty forgiving in workrate if the gate numbers speak for themselves.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
He mentioned on WOR (and this is also what he said to me when I happened to ask about JYD's HoF case on twitter not long ago) that it's a combination of his peak being too brief and him overstaying his welcome by so long, plus obviously the fact that he was really goddamn bad at wrestling. He was a massive draw, but not for long enough to excuse his slide.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really, really enjoyed Bob Backlund on Wrestling Observer, it was helped by Bryan asking just as many questions as Dave so he didn't feel like a third wheel.

Backlund does have an unfortunate habit of long pauses though, and sometimes Dave and Bryan just sit there quietly too because they're not sure if he's done making a point or is about to speak up again. The content of the interview was a really good listen though.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Someone on the Board suggested the Verhei Fly Flow, so I think the contest is already over.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Meltzer said he thinks anyone who won Most Outstanding should be in the Hall of Fame as they were the best in the world i n that year.

2005 - Samoa Joe

2011 - Davey Richards

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Samoa Joe might have a better case if he didn't waste his prime in a dead-end promotion

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah, that's the same thing holding aj styles back, who at least has revitalized his career in the last couple years

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah, that's the same thing holding aj styles back, who at least has revitalized his career in the last couple years

AJ is going to get in eventually. He was the only self made man in TNA that from beginning to end was seen as so much better than it all. Yeah he had a tonne of lovely angles during it but he was always AJ and his time without it just shows how loving good he is.

I can't say the same for Joe, who really was killed by TNA.

Davey Richards is just an utter scumbag to be blacklisted.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

How can he possibly believe this in a world where Bobby Heenan and Paul Heyman exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

Meltzer said he thinks anyone who won Most Outstanding should be in the Hall of Fame as they were the best in the world i n that year.

2005 - Samoa Joe

2011 - Davey Richards

He said almost anyone.

• Locked thread