Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

kefkafloyd posted:

Sleepy Hollow / Bones, the crossover nobody asked for.

FOX probably did?!!!? $$$$$$$$

nice another fantastic top page post from forumsuser Dongattack
:69snypa:

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

#hollowbones

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure you can't just replicate candlelight from a computer monitor.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm also pretty sure that's not what illuminated text mean.

I haven't been watching this season, but the stupidity of the crossover drew me back. I've missed Ichabod.

e: I really don't like Booth's partner, but I do like Brennan grilling Crane over his handwriting.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 30, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Abbie dressed up as Beyoncé

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Well, that was about as awful as I expected it would be. :doh:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, among other things you can't really have the protagonist of Bones in situations where the supernatural actually exists.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My only real complaint with the crossover was that they made Corbin and Booth buddies.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

howe_sam posted:

My only real complaint with the crossover was that they made Corbin and Booth buddies.

Yeah, the Bones half was a snoozefest, but SH was at least serviceable. Does everyone really have to know everybody in these shows?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
To bring in additional viewers. Because, hey, look at how well that all worked out for "The Finder".

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm only halfway through the Bones part and I can't stand Bones holy crap

Everything she says is in this weird monotone voice with a question at the end and her mouth never moves and ahhhh wanna punch her

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how the Sleepy Hollow writers wanted nothing to do with it and barely gave Booth and Bones anything to do.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
did David Boreanaz make a vampire joke? i dont have any access to channels that air the show(s)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, the Bones half was a snoozefest, but SH was at least serviceable.

Making the central mystery of Bones be a lame Flatliners riff and not tie into the crossover felt like a mistake. Also, not having Abbie or Ichabod mention that they've both literally been to the Afterlife.

The Greek fire resolution on SH was amazingly lazy.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, among other things you can't really have the protagonist of Bones in situations where the supernatural actually exists.

I don't really see the problem with a mainly procedural show like Bones having a one-off Halloween crossover. It's television, it's allowed to be fun sometimes. People take the concept of shared universes way too seriously.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't know why you'd want to risk one of your more vibrant shows' ratings by doing a crossover with one that's on it's way out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They probably share close demographics, it makes sense.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I'd say this was at least an interesting crossover just because everyone on Sleepy Hollow is super enthusiastic about their show while everyone on Bones has clearly stopped giving a gently caress along time ago. It's weird just how much the shows contrasted with each other merely in how they look and feel as well.
It's very clear that everyone on Bones is loving done with that thing, Abbie and Ichabod acted circles around Bones' entire cast.

It's also interesting that both Booth and Brennan were both better written and acted on Sleepy Hollow than their own show. Brennan was more like her early Bones self on SP rather than the awkward robot she was on her own show.

What a loving strange two hours that was.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

howe_sam posted:

Making the central mystery of Bones be a lame Flatliners riff and not tie into the crossover felt like a mistake. Also, not having Abbie or Ichabod mention that they've both literally been to the Afterlife.

Seemed like they decided to keep really hush hush on Bones because it seems like that show is like a really, really dry scientific show and the furthest they took it was questioning Ichabod's handwriting.

The SH half was actually good though. And Jenny/Joe Corbin coming back into the main plot was good. Greek Fire flamethrowers was okay, I guess they really should've explained that it seemingly doesn't burn stone because boy if it did then that solution would've been just as bad. LOL at Betsy Ross with the repeating crossbow. Also LOL at Zoe basically trying to be sexy Betsy Ross but real SH Betsy Ross was the original.

Also taking bets on Zoe living through the season. All of Ichabod's girls seem to die. Remember that other lady in the re-enactment group last season? Viciously murdered? Why you don't say.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not caring for the Bones portion of this either. I've never watched it before so I've got nothing to reference it against.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sober posted:

Also taking bets on Zoe living through the season. All of Ichabod's girls seem to die. Remember that other lady in the re-enactment group last season? Viciously murdered? Why you don't say.

That would make that actress 3-for-3 on depressing endings on different shows in the last year or so.

And man, Emily Deschanel gave as wooden a performance as I've seen in some time during the Bones half. I mean, what the hell.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ichabod's girly drink is one saving grace of this episode.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

ShakeZula posted:

That would make that actress 3-for-3 on depressing endings on different shows in the last year or so.

And man, Emily Deschanel gave as wooden a performance as I've seen in some time during the Bones half. I mean, what the hell.

I looked it up and you're right. She's hateful doctor's wife on the knick and yea...what happened to was something.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Tokubetsu posted:

I looked it up and you're right. She's hateful doctor's wife on the knick and yea...what happened to was something.

Genuinely one of the most haunting storylines I've ever seen on television.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

You kind of can. Bones has dabbled in fantasy/supernatural elements before. Brennan spoke with a ghost without realizing it in one episode. Angela's psychic is apparently really psychic and they did one episode from the point of view of the ghost/corpse of a dead kid. That said, Bones as a show would probably change if they exposed Booth and Brennan to the kind of in your face vampire/demon/headless dude chopping off heads paranormal insanity that usually takes place on Sleepy Hollow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was still kind of stupid to do an episode of Bones where the perp was someone who lost their faith when Abbie sitting right there could have brought it back by explaining what she was up to. You know, the whole "following Biblical prophecy to prevent the end of the world" thing. Also how she's personally been to the afterlife.

Also kind of weird was seeing the Jeffersonian shot in each shows style.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

Not caring for the Bones portion of this either. I've never watched it before so I've got nothing to reference it against.

Bones is three seasons worth of good television wrapped up in a 10+ season slog, so not having anything to reference it against means you have likely lived a happier and healthier life. It has gone so far past the expiration date that people don't even hate watch it and complain about it on the forums any more. Even Sons of Anarchy and Dexter still had active threads when they dove into crap territory. With Bones, nobody cares.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 30, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't watch the first half but that was regardless an utterly baffling hour of television that I don't really know how I feel about it.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
WOW. I haven't seen bones in years. But this was really bad. Wooden performances all around.
At no point did I forget that I was watching a tv show and that is the worst a show can do in my opinion.

Did enjoy seeing David boreanez since I loved angel

E. Was Emily deschanel always this bad or did she get worse with the years? I don't remember being this put off by her before

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 30, 2015

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

howe_sam posted:

"Once ignited it never stops burning!!11"

*fire obediently goes out when all the Draugr are destroyed*

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

muscles like this? posted:

Something that bugs me about this season is that Abbie's FBI career is kind of wonky. It was just six months between seasons and I guess that was enough to completely go through training?

FBI training is 5 months.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/training/sat

Why was Icabod in jail? I don't remember.

Dr. Brennan is insufferable.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Did David Boreanez not want to be in this episode? I don't think I've ever seen someone just not want to play along with the story (disclaimer: I have only watched one eposode of Bones, where they find a burned body with a prehensile tail (real) and horns (implants), so I don't know if that's how he is in the show).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

spookygonk posted:

Did David Boreanez not want to be in this episode? I don't think I've ever seen someone just not want to play along with the story (disclaimer: I have only watched one eposode of Bones, where they find a burned body with a prehensile tail (real) and horns (implants), so I don't know if that's how he is in the show).

Apparently he really really wants out of Bones, he's commented that the current season is for sure his last. Idk how credible it is tho, it was on one of those TV gossip sites.

edit: id be totally fine with it being real tho, i always thought he could do much better than Bones and was capable of better acting than the Booth script/character offers him. then again i dont think he got any work between Angel/Bones so who knows

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 31, 2015

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Dongattack posted:

Apparently he really really wants out of Bones, he's commented that the current season is for sure his last. Idk how credible it is tho, it was on one of those TV gossip sites.

edit: id be totally fine with it being real tho, i always thought he could do much better than Bones and was capable of better acting than the Booth script/character offers him. then again i dont think he got any work between Angel/Bones so who knows

I believe Bones started up the next season after Angel ended, so that's not too bad.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

ShakeZula posted:

I believe Bones started up the next season after Angel ended, so that's not too bad.

Yep, you're right. For some reason i was imagining this multiple year gap where he did nothing.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

violetdragon posted:

FBI training is 5 months.
https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/training/sat

Why was Icabod in jail? I don't remember.

Dr. Brennan is insufferable.

He was arrested for like smuggling artifacts. And the Brennan character is why I never watch Bones. I hate her.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Astrofig posted:

He was arrested for like smuggling artifacts. And the Brennan character is why I never watch Bones. I hate her.

This.

I tried watching Bones years ago. The two characters were waking thru a club mostly attended by black people, and they were talking like they were observing some primitive foreign culture. One of the patrons got upset and said something, and Brennan pulls some kung fu bullshit on the 'big bad black guy' who only seemed to take exception to be talked about like some animal in a zoo. I immediately said "gently caress this show" after that. I'm surprised its still on because I don't find whats so interesting in it, especially now that I know there is nothing supernatural going on. Trying avoid the Angel comparisons?

Now I can trudge thru this week's episode without having to watch the Bones show that preceded it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Gimmedaroot posted:

I tried watching Bones years ago. The two characters were waking thru a club mostly attended by black people, and they were talking like they were observing some primitive foreign culture. One of the patrons got upset and said something, and Brennan pulls some kung fu bullshit on the 'big bad black guy' who only seemed to take exception to be talked about like some animal in a zoo. I immediately said "gently caress this show" after that.

It would have been fun to see what kind of reaction you would have had to the 'Jersey Shore' themed episode.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

EricFate posted:

It would have been fun to see what kind of reaction you would have had to the 'Jersey Shore' themed episode.

Of Bones? Do they just love mixing up with shows they have nothing in common with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

EricFate posted:

I'll leave that to your imagination because there is no way I would watch that bullshit.

• Locked thread