Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The Barzam owns because it has a crotch lazer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought it was a thruster, not a laser?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I thought it was a thruster, not a laser?

Correct. The Barzam was specifically mentioned to be unpopular because it was a generic and somewhat undergunned suit at a time when mass-produced machines were starting to get genuinely potent.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone for responding about the ZZ stuff! Really appreciate it. :) I think I'll end up watching it.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I hope you like it! I think it's really cool and funny!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm so glad that the prevailing opinion is now that ZZ is good because a couple years back the general opinion was that it was poo poo and I thought that was crazy and unjust. This isn't a "I liked ZZ before it was popular" thing, I'm legitimately really happy that other people like the show too because it's one of my favorite UC Gundam productions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kanos posted:

I'm so glad that the prevailing opinion is now that ZZ is good because a couple years back the general opinion was that it was poo poo and I thought that was crazy and unjust. This isn't a "I liked ZZ before it was popular" thing, I'm legitimately really happy that other people like the show too because it's one of my favorite UC Gundam productions.

My favorite UC series are F91 and Victory. I feel ya.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So there was that rumor around last couple pages about Gundam Thunderbolt being adapted into an anime. Can I ask what exactly Thunderbolt was and where it fits with other series?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Arcsquad12 posted:

So there was that rumor around last couple pages about Gundam Thunderbolt being adapted into an anime. Can I ask what exactly Thunderbolt was and where it fits with other series?

Not a rumor, an official announcement

Universal Century 0079. Federation troops and Zeon forces carry out a fierce battle in the "Thunderbolt Sector" in what was once Side 4 "Mua". The "Thunderbolt Sector" is a shoal zone composed of the debris of destroyed space colonies, named for the electrical discharges from the metal debris. MS pilot Io Flemming is among the Federation soldiers who are dispatched to the area, where Zeon sniper Daryl Lorenz awaits them on the battlefield.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

My favorite UC series are F91 and Victory. I feel ya.

I loving love F91 for what it could have been. The actual product is basically a frustrating blueball because there's inklings of some really cool stuff there that never got to breathe.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

:yeah:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

I get the feeling that as more people who aren't really hardcore UC fans started giving it a shot, the average opinion started to improve simply by virtue of having more voices out there. ZZ is super fun, if kinda nuts, though the manic energy starts to die down as things get serious again.

Also I have to wonder if it wasn't much more popular in Japan and elsewhere than it was among Westerners. I have one Taiwanese friend who used to make "Anime Ja Nai" references all the time long before I knew what the gently caress ZZ even was.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I still don't care for it but I'm open to revising my opinion if I ever watch it again.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I really want ZZ Gundam back in Super Robot Wars. It would be nice for the ZZ to be the powerhouse it's always deserved to be.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

I really want ZZ Gundam back in Super Robot Wars. It would be nice for the ZZ to be the powerhouse it's always deserved to be.

In SRW Alpha 2 and MX it was one of the strongest units in the game. It was also really good in Alpha 3, though it was competing with lots more crazy bullshit. It hasn't actually been in a SRW since Alpha 3 though, which released literally a decade ago.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Kanos posted:

In SRW Alpha 2 and MX it was one of the strongest units in the game. It was also really good in Alpha 3, though it was competing with lots more crazy bullshit. It hasn't actually been in a SRW since Alpha 3 though, which released literally a decade ago.

It was in OE.

It's a goddamn shame that game was such a clusterfuck of mechanics because it really had a ton of good ideas, it's just that they were drowned in microtransaction bullshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Me, it's the V2. Wings of Light!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Son Ryo posted:

It was in OE.

It's a goddamn shame that game was such a clusterfuck of mechanics because it really had a ton of good ideas, it's just that they were drowned in microtransaction bullshit.

Everything was in OE, but OE doesn't count.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Finished with the TV version of 0079.

Overall, I liked the movie series a lot better as a rendition of 0079. The movies have a much tigher and focused storyline compared to the TV series. Even without the MOTWs, the TV Show's story just isn't as focused as the movie' is.

*In the TV show, newtypes feel like they appear out of thin air after Solomon. The movies introduce the concept much earlier and builds up the idea of newtypes in a much more natural way instead of the concept suddenly appearing in the last 7 episodes and every jackass talking about it, despite nobody caring about it before. And no, Matilda randomly calling Amuro an esper is not a proper intro to newtypeism; it makes Matilda look insane.

*The TV show drags its feet way too much with Lalah. There are too many times where she appears, shoots down some ships, then retreats. The movies do a much better job with her; she shoots down some ships once near Solomon to demonstrate the power of the Elmeth, then Amuro fights her for real. It's a much simpler affair than the TV show. TV show Lalah feels like the staff wanted her as a MOTW and a major plot point, but didn't really know how to juggle it well.

*I haven't seen this discussed a lot, but the portrayal of A Baoa Qu is quite different in the TV show and movies. The TV show makes it look like the Federation is slowly losing unitl Gihren's headshot and Amuro's breakthrough, while the movie's take is much more neutral, making it look like both sides are evenly matched until the Federation eventually gets the upper hand.

*The scenes added to the movie add to the story. Having Degwin talk with the puppet prime minister about a peace treaty makes Degwin a more interesting and sympathetic character than his TV version is.

*The all-new animation in the movies makes the final space portion of 0079 look so much better than it does in the TV show. It's like night and day at times.

*I enjoyed the Gyan fight, but cutting it in favor of a more intense Amuro vs Char duel was a good idea. Having Char use the traps instead of M'Quve brings back the idea of him being a tactical genius that was talked about early in the series. That, and having Char fight Amuro right after Amuro killed M'Quve makes Char feel like a lame opportunist, not the badass he's supposed to be.

*Speaking of M'Quve, having him run around and fight Amuro with mobile suits and amours felt out of place for him. He's established as a weasel in a leadership position, not the type that would be hopping into a mobile suit like a common soldier.

*Sleggar suddenly macking on Mirai is just as left field as it is in the movies. I was expecting some more extra scenes with them to explain their kiss

*Sleggar's death is much better in the movies. In the TV series, Sleggar is just thrown from the G-Fighter, but in the movies, he's clearly being shown incinerated in his Core Booster's explosion.

The TV series is good as a standalone show; it's just that the movies do the story so much better. I did like how the TV show presented Bright and Mirai's growing relationship, along with Amuro and Fraw.

And the G-Fighter will always be a useless piece of poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

the G-Fighter will always be a useless piece of poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For dub watchers however, the TV series is so much better than the films. Sure the films have british Bright (which sorta makes sense since he's from Hong Kong) and Steve Blum, but the dub cast for the tv series is excellent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The film dubs also have some baffling translation choices, like making Amuro into a total homicidal rear end in a top hat by replacing all the parts of his dialogue where he voices his doubts with him just being a vindictive piece of poo poo. British Bright's voice acting is fine, but the hard-rear end stiff upper lip thing doesn't really work for the 20-year-old LTJG who's put in charge of White Base when everyone else dies.

I'd never seen the 0079 dub until recently, but both it and the Zeta dub are actually fantastic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

That, and having Char fight Amuro right after Amuro killed M'Quve makes Char feel like a lame opportunist, not the badass he's supposed to be.

So, should I tell him, or... ?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Char has a reputation as a badass entirely because he is an opportunist. That isn't even subtext it's basically how he works. When he finds an opportunity he exploits it while reaping the rewards. It's pretty much straight how he killed the Zabis.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
He was only opportunist on the Zabis. He fought Amuro head-on multiple times.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

He also knowingly sent Challia Bull to his death just to prove the potential of newtypes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah, he was opportunist in fights as well. He made sure to attack when his enemy was the weakest or couldn't fight back. That isn't dumb but it is entirely his character. He even destroy the battleships at Loum entirely by going for the points where they couldn't attack him back. Char prefers fights where he has the advantage. (This is also something Tomino's novels stress. He actually encourages his allies to shoot Amuro while Amuro is distracted which... they do, just at the one point Char DIDN'T want that.)

He loses in CCA because he gets so deep into his Amuro Anger that he absolutely wants to prove he can beat Amuro in a straight fight and he can't. Char doesn't win straight fights.

And honestly that is smart. That is how someone should fight, especially against a superior foe.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 30, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

One must separate Char the myth from Char the man.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, he was opportunist in fights as well. He made sure to attack when his enemy was the weakest or couldn't fight back. That isn't dumb but it is entirely his character. He even destroy the battleships at Loum entirely by going for the points where they couldn't attack him back. Char prefers fights where he has the advantage. (This is also something Tomino's novels stress. He actually encourages his allies to shoot Amuro while Amuro is distracted which... they do, just at the one point Char DIDN'T want that.)

He loses in CCA because he gets so deep into his Amuro Anger that he absolutely wants to prove he can beat Amuro in a straight fight and he can't. Char doesn't win straight fights.

And honestly that is smart. That is how someone should fight, especially against a superior foe.

What some people call opportunism, I call good tactics. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is good tactics! It's just also completely good tactics to blow the gently caress out of a powerful opponent when he's weakened and vulnerable. Frankly it's smarter than, say, sending him an experimental power booster that allows him to complete his new top-of-the-line mobile suit and punch you in the face after murdering half your army. Just as a hypothetical.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Char is a sociopathic rear end in a top hat who fights dirty, which is why he gets so far in life. It makes the people who insist he's totally a good guy pretty funny.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Char's best fight is with Haman, which he technically wins since he separates her from Scirocco and makes her irrelevant in the last battle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress fair. Fair is when I win.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The only Char to be a really great pilot is Afranchi.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsieurChoc posted:

Afranche also gets the girl and realizes he's in late UC where everything is falling apart and goes and fucks off back to his tropical island home, which means that Afranche is also the best Char.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Gaia Gear also has the best music for a gundam entry that doesn't even have an anime

Voice of Gaia is one of my favorite things

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's gonna be a trailer for Gundam Thunderbolt before the theatrical premier of Origin 2, so we should get some deets then

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So looking up Thunderbolt, it looks like 0079: Backpack edition?

Gaia Gear suits are also pretty freaking cool. They all sharp angles.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mask grows into a real monster by the end of his show (the Kabakali should not be an even match for the Perfect Pack, and yet...), and Harry is also very impressive. Graham may count too, when he's sane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Mask grows into a real monster by the end of his show (the Kabakali should not be an even match for the Perfect Pack, and yet...), and Harry is also very impressive. Graham may count too, when he's sane.

Harry Ord rose up from the bottom rung of society to become the Queen's right hand man, shot down an entire sky full of bombs without singing the planes, and beat the Turn A in a mass produced mobile suit.

Harry Ord isn't a Char clone. Harry Ord is the man Char is trying to imitate.

And that's ignoring his amazing fashion sense.