Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

scary ghost dog posted:

people who know whats going on will still react naturally

I was under the impression that everyone was in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Where did you get that impression? The whole point of the show is that nobody is in on it and it's much more enjoyable watching it with that mindset.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

Where did you get that impression? The whole point of the show is that nobody is in on it and it's much more enjoyable watching it with that mindset.

I didn't think so many people could possibly be so stupid and willing to go along with what he was doing. I mean I know the conceit is that they don't know but I figured it was like the loons who go on the Daily Show knowing they're going to get mocked but they just want to be on tv.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

IRQ posted:

they're in on it insofar as any small business is in on it when a camera crew for any tv show comes by. nathan doesn't prank them, he's very straightforward. there are no ill intentions to suss out. the show pays for everything and nobody's at a loss.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Suggesting poo ice cream is ill intentioned

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
A lot of the time the participants must realise what they are doing is ridiculous but the entertainment comes from how they are just willing to go along with whatever Nathan suggests no questions asked. Like the gym buff who is perfectly ok with wearing an absurd wig and beard disguise whenever he goes to the gym so nobody recognizes him from his appearances on the news where he claimed to have never attended a gym in his life and that he was a childhood friend of Steve Jobs.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So what was the final consensus on True Detective S2?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

-Blackadder- posted:

It was just ok. Watch it if you're bored but that's about it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

-Blackadder- posted:

Had some moments but it ultimately felt like a first draft.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I deleted my dvr file of S2 because I just couldn't bring myself to watch the rest after the first couple episodes, it was just so miserable and none of the characters were memorable at all. Plus Vince Vaughn would launch into a monologue literally every time he spoke and it was exhausting. Oh well, if it's never good again at least it was a pretty good 1 season show.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is Ash vs Evil going to be awesome or bad?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Reason posted:

Is Ash vs Evil going to be awesome or bad?

It can't be the former if it's not at least a bit of the latter.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Holy crap is this Blue Bloods show literally written by the nypd

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Is Z Nation any good? I've seen it talked up in a few places, but it looked a bit cheesy to me. I assume it's shooting for "cheesy in a good way" or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's ridiculously entertaining.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

American friends, I need some info.
I am not up to speed with American television in general, with the exception of cartoons because I am a huge manchild. When I commented that it's a good thing that a cartoon brought some representation of minorites as main characters to an angry guy on the Internets, he got even more angry and told me that if I watched something that isn't cartoons I'd know that "black people have had media representation for DECADES and you’d stop trying to convince people that A PAIR OF loving ALIEN ROCKS somehow fits into any human race."

Angry guys on the Internet aren't a reliable source. What say you? Is he right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have no idea what you said, besides manchild.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I have no idea what you said, besides manchild.

My question boils down to:
Are there really lots of minorites as main characters in TV series?

the rest is just window dressing to show that i am aware that it is ridiculous that i only know about cartoons

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are people, of all levels of melamine. Stop watching cartoons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Generally yes although there are still ultimately relics of generalized racial hierarchy in casting. At this point in time it comes across more as milquetoast creative risk-taking than it does malice for the most part.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

paradoxGentleman posted:

American friends, I need some info.
I am not up to speed with American television in general, with the exception of cartoons because I am a huge manchild. When I commented that it's a good thing that a cartoon brought some representation of minorites as main characters to an angry guy on the Internets, he got even more angry and told me that if I watched something that isn't cartoons I'd know that "black people have had media representation for DECADES and you’d stop trying to convince people that A PAIR OF loving ALIEN ROCKS somehow fits into any human race."

Angry guys on the Internet aren't a reliable source. What say you? Is he right?

Try watching adult TV and stop being a manchild

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Or continue watching whatever you enjoy

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

There seems to be a surge of "stereotypes presented as comedy" sitcoms lately, but that's nothing new and for the most part non-white cast members are commonplace. Some shows definitely do it better than others, but cartoons are less notable for leading the trend and more for finally catching up.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Thank you for the information and well-meaning advice.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I think if anything more minority or minority appearing characters in children's TV is more important than just regular boring old TV for adults that kids don't watch.

So as far as kids shows go Agents of Shield has made good progress and Arrow and Flash and Supergirl still have work to do.

-Blackadder- posted:

Watch up until Colin Farrel gets shot. Pretend that's the ending.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could watch The Minority Report. Should give you the gist of current TV, There's a gay Latino, a young black woman with big booty, some white folks and a Japanese girl.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Eh

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

-Blackadder- posted:

Is Z Nation any good? I've seen it talked up in a few places, but it looked a bit cheesy to me. I assume it's shooting for "cheesy in a good way" or something.

It can be cheesy, but I think its more than that. It's fun and the characters are likable, which is pretty rare for the zombie genre on TV. Dare I say it, it actually ends up having affecting character moments in spite of taking a lighter tone. It seems like they make decisions on writing the show based on what would be interesting/fun/badass and enjoyable to watch, rather than what would be the most overdramatic (again, looking at the other show). It actually manages to often be a visually interesting show, in particular the episodes directed by John Hyams (of underrated Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning 'fame'.). The effects are a little silly sometimes, but not (too) distractingly so because it fits the show.

It takes a few episodes to really find its tone. I think it starts out a lot cheesier than it settles in to. It's not Sharknado or any of those so-bad-it's-"good" things.

It's not the "best" show we watch, but it's one of the ones we enjoy the most.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zomnado.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FXX is doing a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror marathon all day.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

muscles like this? posted:

FXX is doing a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror marathon all day.

Hopefully they do the right thing and not show any of the last three years' eps. They need to retire the concept if they aren't going to do right by it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If you want to have the chillest Halloween imaginable Twitch is running an 8 day marathon of The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Hopefully they do the right thing and not show any of the last three years' eps. They need to retire the concept if they aren't going to do right by it.

They're going through to last year's episode ending at midnight, Eastern.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

My question boils down to:
Are there really lots of minorites as main characters in TV series?

the rest is just window dressing to show that i am aware that it is ridiculous that i only know about cartoons

Blackish and Empire are both good in their different ways. Also Sleepy Hollow and Grimm off the top of my head for minority lead cast members.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

ABC also has HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER, surely others.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
there's also Scandal and many other tv shows, if you want black people. and jane the virgin, the most hispanic show for white middle aged women imaginable.

on the other hand if you want to see american indian leads you have to watch canadian tv

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

So as far as kids shows go Agents of Shield has made good progress and Arrow and Flash and Supergirl still have work to do.

Uh, Supergirl's main character is an illegal alien.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rocksicles posted:

You could watch The Minority Report. Should give you the gist of current TV, There's a gay Latino, a young black woman with big booty, some white folks and a Japanese girl.
The problem is you're now watching Minority Report.

All joking aside, watch American primetime television in the past three years or so and representation in cast is getting better. Behind the scenes though? Not so much, but I don't think cartoon manchild was wondering about that anyway, though that is still a big issue.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is pretty great. It's Rachel Bloom: The TV Show, and I'm loving how the seeming one-off jokes are actually paying off and I never expect it.

We need a thread for it because everyone should be watching this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
For Crazy Ex-Girlfriend fans, be sure to watch the Explicit! versions of each song on YouTube.

Who knows.. maybe this show will survive its dismal ratings. I mean, it's up against three of the top 10 "old people" shows right now, so the CW is clearly trying steal some audience from Big Bang/Voice/Dancing with the Stars that night. It's pulling 2/3 of what Jane the Virgin gets in the follow-up slot, so I suppose that's not terrible. But 700,000 viewers just ain't a whole lot. I suppose sending CW a supportive email is worth trying...

• Locked thread