Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DivisionPost posted:

Says the guy who told someone to "grow up" after that someone rationally posited how exhausted the staff must be at this point in the season.

"BUHBUHBUH THE DAILY SHOW" Must be exhausting too, but that schedule being potentially more exhausting is not proof that the LWT grind is not exhausting in and of itself, which is something people usually learn after they turn 14.

Or is this too much of a care post for you?

TDS also probably has a much larger staff to accommodate the more frequent shows but gently caress YOU JOHN OLIVER YOU LAZY poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Has technology evolved to the point where you can just search [Fox News Analyst Name] [Embarassing Phrase/Gesture] into a big database or do need a couple interns sifting through years and years of garbage looking for something specific.

"Godammit Lou you missed John McCain's July 16th, 2003 crying baby joke retelling, you're fired!"

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
You're all bitching about some really stupid poo poo tbh

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

speshl guy posted:

Has technology evolved to the point where you can just search [Fox News Analyst Name] [Embarassing Phrase/Gesture] into a big database or do need a couple interns sifting through years and years of garbage looking for something specific.

"Godammit Lou you missed John McCain's July 16th, 2003 crying baby joke retelling, you're fired!"
The system pioneered at TDS was recording all the news and, yes, searching the recordings' closed captioning. So you want to find all mentions of "war on christmas" you punch that it, cut it together, get paid.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

We need a new episode if for no other reason than this thread is loving terrible between episodes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

raditts posted:

thread is loving terrible between episodes.

pretty much defines TV/IV

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

webmeister posted:

pretty much defines TV/IV

Meanwhile during episodes it's "a thing just happened on the screen"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yes, this is a pathetic shallow subforum. Except for the star trek thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sereri posted:

Meanwhile during episodes it's "a thing just happened on the screen"

This is what I hate the most about TVIV. Well, maybe the usually-unreasonable bitching, too, but hey, goons are goons.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IRQ posted:

TDS also probably has a much larger staff to accommodate the more frequent shows but gently caress YOU JOHN OLIVER YOU LAZY poo poo!

In Jon Stewart's final episode they had a segment where a camera zoomed around their offices and visited everyone who worked on the show and there was a HUGE number of people.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/lija7n/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-inside-the-daily-show

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/660597552023228416

Ya know what? The donald is right.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

That's weird. I can't imagine what they'd even do with him if they did get him on. It's so rare that they have an actual political figure on, in person, so it would have to be something special. But Trump would never play along with whatever it was anyway.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

dimebag dinkman posted:

That's weird. I can't imagine what they'd even do with him if they did get him on. It's so rare that they have an actual political figure on, in person, so it would have to be something special. But Trump would never play along with whatever it was anyway.
Donald Trump is not an actual political figure. Donald Trump is a clown. Even if he were to win the presidency, the effect would not be him becoming an actual political figure, it would be the executive branch of the federal government joining the legislative branch in being nothing more than a ridiculous, ineffectual circus.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lol, I guess someone told The Donald about this:

quote:

John Oliver, comedian and host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" on Friday said that he's not at all interested in having Donald Trump on his show.

"I don’t really care about him in any capacity," he said on CBS' "This Morning." "I don’t really have anything to say to him."

Oliver explained that an interview with Trump would not yield anything new about the real estate mogul and Republican presidential candidate.

"He’s said everything he wants to say. He has no internal monologue, that man. So it’s not like you’re going to find the secret nugget he’s been holding back. He’s an open book. And that book doesn’t have that many interesting words in it," Oliver said.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah, it sounds more like Trump is doing damage control than anything else. He's not really the kinda guest they'd have on their show

He's entertaining as hell and i hope he becomes president because americans deserve nothing less, but LWT won't get anything more out of him than he already gives in any interview ever

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Donald is, as usual, completely and willfully ignorant of reality, there are no ratings for HBO shows. He's also scrambling for attention now that his wave of bullshit has crested and even the profoundly stupid people who vote republican are starting to stop paying attention.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In Jon Stewart's final episode they had a segment where a camera zoomed around their offices and visited everyone who worked on the show and there was a HUGE number of people.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/lija7n/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-inside-the-daily-show

I know, I saw that and Colbert's sendoff of his massive staff (which he kept, by and large); it was a rebuttal to the people freaking out over LWT taking a week off. At the end of the day they do the number of shows they are paid for, that's all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krowley posted:

He's entertaining as hell and i hope he becomes president because americans deserve nothing less, but LWT won't get anything more out of him than he already gives in any interview ever

I can totally see them asking him to do a guest appearance in one of their wacky topical videos but yeah, I can't see them calling him in for an interview.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeah, it's fairly obvious that Trump is playing damage control. I look forward to Oliver addressing the tweet tomorrow night though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, it's fairly obvious that Trump is playing damage control. I look forward to Oliver addressing the tweet tomorrow night though.

I mean I'm not gonna rule it out, but who says he will?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

I just realised, it's entirely possible that Trump is mixing this up with when John was temporarily hosting the Daily Show. Who'd be surprised if he wasn't even aware John is now hosting a different show?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Happy Hippo posted:

If there even is a show...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

dimebag dinkman posted:

I just realised, it's entirely possible that Trump is mixing this up with when John was temporarily hosting the Daily Show. Who'd be surprised if he wasn't even aware John is now hosting a different show?

Is it possible Donald Trump is disconnected from reality?

Ya think?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Donald Trump just automatically says that any show or newspaper he doesn't like has low ratings/circulation.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, he does know a thing or two about hosting boring and low-rated shows. But at least John Oliver still has one.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 1, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I expect this to come up tonight.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I missed last week's episode of LWT because my U-Verse DVR has been making GBS threads a brick and deleting recorded programs, most likely due to a worn-out HDD. Unfortunately, the replacement DVR they sent us, which is clearly used/refurbished, is doing the same thing, but that's another story. :sigh:

Anyways, I went on HBO GO to catch the episode, and while they have a thumbnail from each episode to presumably help you recognize ones you've seen before, most of the images look like this:

:downs:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You're in luck, there was no episode last week!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's what most of the show looks like too, so it's pretty accurate. Also LOL if you can't tell the episode based on John's shirt/tie combination.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Rarity posted:

You're in luck, there was no episode last week!

To clarify, I should've stated the last episode; I missed the one with Mike Myers and the Canadien election, but I'm streaming it now. Shh! Don't tell me who won yet! :ssh:

mobby_6kl posted:

Well that's what most of the show looks like too, so it's pretty accurate. Also LOL if you can't tell the episode based on John's shirt/tie combination.

Yeah, I was going to say something about having to remember his outfit or his hand gestures. :3:

But seriously though, it would make a lot more sense if the images showed the content of the episode (even if it was just text) rather than a random, ambiguous frame grab.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Atomizer posted:

To clarify, I should've stated the last episode; I missed the one with Mike Myers and the Canadien election, but I'm streaming it now. Shh! Don't tell me who won yet! :ssh:

Yeah, I was going to say something about having to remember his outfit or his hand gestures. :3:

But seriously though, it would make a lot more sense if the images showed the content of the episode (even if it was just text) rather than a random, ambiguous frame grab.

Or if they updated the info on it. Right now it just says something about recapping the last week's news, but even a quick blurb about what the main story was would be really nice.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Atomizer posted:

I missed last week's episode of LWT because my U-Verse DVR has been making GBS threads a brick and deleting recorded programs, most likely due to a worn-out HDD. Unfortunately, the replacement DVR they sent us, which is clearly used/refurbished, is doing the same thing, but that's another story. :sigh:

Anyways, I went on HBO GO to catch the episode, and while they have a thumbnail from each episode to presumably help you recognize ones you've seen before, most of the images look like this:

Demand a service credit! AT&T will do anything to retain a market, or if you're silent, to pinch a penny.

Atomizer posted:

It wasn't Bernie Sanders. :toxx:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Solvent posted:

Demand a service credit! AT&T will do anything to retain a market, or if you're silent, to pinch a penny.

It wasn't Bernie Sanders. :toxx:

Already got a monthly credit for a year worth $300 IIRC for the last bad box. Haven't contacted them to complain about his "new" one (which, again, is clearly scuffed up and previously used albeit mostly functional) because I just confirmed it today (had to check with the rest of the family to make sure they didn't delete the recordings I had noticed were missing.) The thing is, our replacement box is the VIP2250, which is their top model, and not only has the largest HDD they offer (500 GB) but is noticeably faster than our previous Cisco/Scientific Atlanta. I'd rather not get another replacement DVR of one of the lesser varieties. Fun fact: their "newest" DVRs like this Motorola came out way back in 2009!

Anyways, I have since watched the October 18 episode, and to prove it, here's the first result I got from the "real" quote generator:

Also, I have now learned that somehow Donald Trump won the Canadien election. :iiam:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
He better cover the Canadian election if only for the crazy Trudeau stuff that's happened recently inco Justin dressing as Han Solo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Atomizer posted:

They need to get the same person who does their YouTube page:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Proposition Joe posted:

Donald Trump just automatically says that any show or newspaper he doesn't like has low ratings/circulation.

Persona Non Grata

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Really glad Oliver didn't address that Trump tweet during the episode. No sense giving that hairpiece what he wants

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I was an expat for 4 years in china in my younger days. The Kenny G bit is absolutely spot on. Every mall, fast food spot (especially KFC, subway, and mcdonalds), furniture store, etc., are playing his music nonstop. It actually get spretty funny after awhile.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo Kenny G is still alive.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I live in New Jersey.

Who's parents should I vote for school board tomorrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

pwn posted:

They need to get the same person who does their YouTube page:

They need to get someone to make a streaming app for HBO that's not complete garbage

• Locked thread