Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zechs was a good pilot. In fact, he stays the best pilot for the whole show.

Granted, I never was certain if theTallgeese was superior or inferior to the Gundams. It's a prototype but then again, so was Wing Zero. The Gundams felt like they were "dumbed down" maybe. Plus in their second fight Heero wasn't at optimum battling capacity. He was using Heavyarms IIRC and his arm was hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

NikkolasKing posted:

Zechs was a good pilot. In fact, he stays the best pilot for the whole show.

Granted, I never was certain if theTallgeese was superior or inferior to the Gundams. It's a prototype but then again, so was Wing Zero. The Gundams felt like they were "dumbed down" maybe. Plus in their second fight Heero wasn't at optimum battling capacity. He was using Heavyarms IIRC and his arm was hosed up.

The Tallgeese is weird because it's not a prototype for the gundams, it's a prototype for mobile suits in general. It's like 20 years old at the start of the show and still somehow miles ahead of everything until the gundams show up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Keep in mind the Leos have the specs to be protaganist suits in most other Gundam shows, so the Talgeese is like absurdly powerful by normal standards. Gundam's main difference is their armor plating, which doesn't matter as much if it's a one-sided fight.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I was mostly speaking of Chars that are Chars (so Char, Full Frontal and Affranchi, msotly), not all the Char Clones. Cause we were talking about the Char.

I really should finish watching that fran-translated audiod rama of Gaia Gear. It was really great. It's just hard to stay focused on audio dramas, I find.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Begemot posted:

The Tallgeese is weird because it's not a prototype for the gundams, it's a prototype for mobile suits in general. It's like 20 years old at the start of the show and still somehow miles ahead of everything until the gundams show up.

The problem they ran into with the suits in Wing wasn't that they couldn't make suits on par or better than the Tallgeese's performance all along, it's that it was functionally pointless to do so because of the limitations of the human frame. Having a super duper sweet rear end top of the line mobile suit is worthless if no one can pilot it without pulping their organs or blacking out and crashing the thing into a mountain while unconscious. The mass production junk suits in Wing like Leos and Aries were designed to be actually possible for normal soldiers to operate on a regular basis.

Even the Gundams aren't actually as fast or maneuverable as the Tallgeese, they just have nigh invincible armor and far superior weapons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zeta episode 3: Jerid you are such a bastard. But also an idiot.

Bask Om's chins annoy me, how many episodes before Bright says gently caress it and throws in with the AEUG? Emma's probably gonna be gone over by next episode considering the bullshit the Titans keep pulling. I'm really liking the use of zero gravity on the lower decks of the ship, makes a lot of sense that they'd have more than just the hangar depressurized like that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gundam's treatment of gravity always really did it for me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DamnGlitch posted:

Gundam's treatment of gravity always really did it for me.

Yeah I always liked the attention to detail there. Like how the cafeteria in the Argama is in the part with artificial gravity because cooking and eating in zero g is a huge pain in the rear end.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Keep in mind the Leos have the specs to be protaganist suits in most other Gundam shows, so the Talgeese is like absurdly powerful by normal standards. Gundam's main difference is their armor plating, which doesn't matter as much if it's a one-sided fight.

First time I've heard that, to be honest.

I mean, mostly I've heard that Leos are made of tinfoil, C4, and prayers, but even beyond that, it doesn't really seem protagonist mech level.

Maybe UC? But unless you're talking the space type, it doesn't carry guns as good as a basic Zaku II, let alone the Gundam. And the Universal Century went on a crazy power curve. Even if the Leo could beat the Ground Gundam, the RX-79 would be a joke against the Zeta, let alone something like the Nu.

Wing is out for obvious reasons.

X... maybe, don't remember much about how tough that suit is, but they don't have the Satellite cannon.

00 Gundam has basically magic super robots for Celestial Being, so no.

Seed, no idea. Have doubts.

Age, again, no idea, but I'd bet against it even in the first generation, since the mooks there were even more useless than the Leo against their enemies, while the Gundam could tear through the same guys like they weren't there. And the basic guns for the Leo and the Genoace seem about even in quality.

The Turn A is the most powerful mobile suit in any Gundam series, so it could probably outperform a Leo..

As for G, I'm pretty sure that the protagonists could take out the Leo on foot.

Leos might not be as crappy as their reputation suggests, but most Gundams are pretty bullshit. Leos just don't have that bit of extra kick you expect in a main series mech.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

First time I've heard that, to be honest.

I mean, mostly I've heard that Leos are made of tinfoil, C4, and prayers, but even beyond that, it doesn't really seem protagonist mech level.

Maybe UC? But unless you're talking the space type, it doesn't carry guns as good as a basic Zaku II, let alone the Gundam. And the Universal Century went on a crazy power curve. Even if the Leo could beat the Ground Gundam, the RX-79 would be a joke against the Zeta, let alone something like the Nu.

Wing is out for obvious reasons.

X... maybe, don't remember much about how tough that suit is, but they don't have the Satellite cannon.

00 Gundam has basically magic super robots for Celestial Being, so no.

Seed, no idea. Have doubts.

Age, again, no idea, but I'd bet against it even in the first generation, since the mooks there were even more useless than the Leo against their enemies, while the Gundam could tear through the same guys like they weren't there. And the basic guns for the Leo and the Genoace seem about even in quality.

The Turn A is the most powerful mobile suit in any Gundam series, so it could probably outperform a Leo..

As for G, I'm pretty sure that the protagonists could take out the Leo on foot.

Leos might not be as crappy as their reputation suggests, but most Gundams are pretty bullshit. Leos just don't have that bit of extra kick you expect in a main series mech.

When he says 'specs', he means the various numbers assigned to them like reactor output, weight etc. Most of which were probably made up after the fact and all of which are entirely meaningless.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i really like how the tallgeese and zero gundam were somewhat logically super-powerful prototypes. the tallgeese was built, and then subsequent mobile suits were dumbed down from it because it was too powerful, and effectively impossible to pilot as a result. the zero gundam was designed, and then subsequent gundams dumbed down from it because holy gently caress this thing has a gun that can destroy a colony in one shot that's absurd no one person needs that kind of ridiculous firepower

zechs being able to pilot the tallgeese without blacking out was always incredibly badass, if also kind of bullshit

recently watched endless waltz for the first time and it was pretty cool seeing leos get animated with something resembling a budget

i want to see a gundam build fighters that is non-gundam suits only. gundam grunt suit design needs more love

Lanz
May 30, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

i really like how the tallgeese and zero gundam were somewhat logically super-powerful prototypes. the tallgeese was built, and then subsequent mobile suits were dumbed down from it because it was too powerful, and effectively impossible to pilot as a result. the zero gundam was designed, and then subsequent gundams dumbed down from it because holy gently caress this thing has a gun that can destroy a colony in one shot that's absurd no one person needs that kind of ridiculous firepower

zechs being able to pilot the tallgeese without blacking out was always incredibly badass, if also kind of bullshit

recently watched endless waltz for the first time and it was pretty cool seeing leos get animated with something resembling a budget

i want to see a gundam build fighters that is non-gundam suits only. gundam grunt suit design needs more love

Also the whole "This computer interface is driving the pilots we stick in this thing insane" problem

Lanz fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 31, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was mostly speaking of Chars that are Chars (so Char, Full Frontal and Affranchi, msotly), not all the Char Clones. Cause we were talking about the Char.

I really should finish watching that fran-translated audiod rama of Gaia Gear. It was really great. It's just hard to stay focused on audio dramas, I find.

I think even Full Frontal is a better pilot than Char to be honest, because Full Frontal is a partial clone who tried to mimick the image of what people thought Char was rather than mimicking the actual Char. He tried to become what he thought people imagined Char was so he concentrated more on being a pilot and strategist than on all the revenge and newtype neurosis and such that defined Char in reality. It's why he was able to come up with a plan like the Sides Co-Prosperity Sphere that had a high chance of working, but was kind of cold and calculating, as opposed to Char who came up with a riskier plan that was pretty insane but did fall in line with his and his father's beliefs regarding Contolism.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

I think even Full Frontal is a better pilot than Char to be honest, because Full Frontal is a partial clone who tried to mimick the image of what people thought Char was rather than mimicking the actual Char. He tried to become what he thought people imagined Char was so he concentrated more on being a pilot and strategist than on all the revenge and newtype neurosis and such that defined Char in reality. It's why he was able to come up with a plan like the Sides Co-Prosperity Sphere that had a high chance of working, but was kind of cold and calculating, as opposed to Char who came up with a riskier plan that was pretty insane but did fall in line with his and his father's beliefs regarding Contolism.

Full Frontal had just as much newtype neurosis as the original, it was just focused around his insane vessel nonsense instead of Char's daddy issues. Both of them were defined by nihilism in the end.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 31, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ugh, we have to wait until the third OVA to see Garma and Char's romance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haha, even his helmet has shades.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha, even his helmet has shades.

Yeah, he has a doctor's prescription saying he's required to wear sunglasses due to UV oversensitivity in/damage to his cornea, which is how he hides the difference in eye colour between himself and the real Char.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I think Full Frontal is definitely the better pilot especially if you think of how char progresses. Char by the time of CCA has spent more time being a politician and figure head instead of a regular pilot. You this when you get to the final duel between him and Amuro. The duel between Sazabi and Nu Gundam is almost hilariously one sided and Amuro is running circles around Char. A lot of the skill and ability Char had has been dulled through his extensive time in politics. Quattro Bagena was a good pilot and held his own in one of the most lethal conflicts in UC gundam especially since his robot had a loving coat of paint for armor.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's easier to look better than Char when you're not facing arguably the best pilot in UC in Amuro. Unicorn was cool, but let's be real, everyone there except maybe Marida were scrubs compared to Amuro.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

It's easier to look better than Char when you're not facing arguably the best pilot in UC in Amuro. Unicorn was cool, but let's be real, everyone there except maybe Marida were scrubs compared to Amuro.

Angelo was pretty loving scary. For all his goofiness, Mashmyre was a decent pilot, but what Angelo managed to do in the Rozen Zulu managed to make his performance in the Hamma Hamma (basically the same suit) look downright pathetic.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Angelo was pretty loving scary. For all his goofiness, Mashmyre was a decent pilot, but what Angelo managed to do in the Rozen Zulu managed to make his performance in the Hamma Hamma (basically the same suit) look downright pathetic.

Start of ZZ Mashymre was basically a barely competent clown who was given command of a ship due to his fanatic loyalty, so his performance in the Hamma Hamma isn't really a high bar to clear. Only after he got Cyber Newtyped did Mashymre become a scary motherfucker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Start of ZZ Mashymre was basically a barely competent clown who was given command of a ship due to his fanatic loyalty, so his performance in the Hamma Hamma isn't really a high bar to clear. Only after he got Cyber Newtyped did Mashymre become a scary motherfucker.

Nah, he was always a decent pilot, technically speaking. His big problem was that he was chivalrous, soft-hearted, and had no loving idea how war was supposed to work.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yic2eaCnIao

Don't be so upset about Mashymre. No one else was.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheManSeries posted:

Char by the time of CCA has spent more time being a politician and figure head instead of a regular pilot. You this when you get to the final duel between him and Amuro. The duel between Sazabi and Nu Gundam is almost hilariously one sided and Amuro is running circles around Char.

I've never seen it as that one-sided personally. Char and Amuro both make each other use up all their weapons or destroy the others and both land nearly lethal strikes that do a bit of damage. Once they seriously engage it's very short, but very efficient and effective on each side until Amuro get's the upper hand. Literally. He manages to land the first real advantaging strike, which is to take off the Sazabi's arm, after which Char really has no way to win given that neither have any weapons left and it's just a punching match. And you can't win a punching match if your opponent has twice as many arms as you really. Char still makes Amuro work even to win that though, with Nanai's distraction being what allows Amuro to decisively end it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, he was always a decent pilot, technically speaking. His big problem was that he was chivalrous, soft-hearted, and had no loving idea how war was supposed to work.

If he was a decent pilot he sure didn't show it.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
He was a terrible pilot because he kept leaving his goddamn cockpit hatch open.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Missing Link posted:

He was a terrible pilot because he kept leaving his goddamn cockpit hatch open.

How else are you gonna yell at those goddamn kids to get off your Mobile Suit?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

tsob posted:

I've never seen it as that one-sided personally. Char and Amuro both make each other use up all their weapons or destroy the others and both land nearly lethal strikes that do a bit of damage. Once they seriously engage it's very short, but very efficient and effective on each side until Amuro get's the upper hand. Literally. He manages to land the first real advantaging strike, which is to take off the Sazabi's arm, after which Char really has no way to win given that neither have any weapons left and it's just a punching match. And you can't win a punching match if your opponent has twice as many arms as you really. Char still makes Amuro work even to win that though, with Nanai's distraction being what allows Amuro to decisively end it.

I agree that the battle itself is fairly even until the end, but before that Amuro was leading Char on a wild goose chase through all of Axis. Even when Amuro was in the ReGZ alone against Char and Gyunei, they couldn't take him down. Char ultimately messed up that first encounter because he didn't use his funnels, but Amuro was still a guy in a ReGZ against a Sazabi and a Jagd Doga that did use its funnels.

It is not hard to see why people think Amuro is a much better pilot when you look at the movie as a whole.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TNG posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yic2eaCnIao

Don't be so upset about Mashymre. No one else was.

It's funny how a line-reading can change a scene. In the Japanese track, Haman sounds like she's legit upset, but is trying to convince herself it's no big deal. It's actually one of her bigger humanising moments.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GimmickMan posted:

I agree that the battle itself is fairly even until the end, but before that Amuro was leading Char on a wild goose chase through all of Axis. Even when Amuro was in the ReGZ alone against Char and Gyunei, they couldn't take him down. Char ultimately messed up that first encounter because he didn't use his funnels, but Amuro was still a guy in a ReGZ against a Sazabi and a Jagd Doga that did use its funnels.

It is not hard to see why people think Amuro is a much better pilot when you look at the movie as a whole.

While I agree that Amuro is a better pilot I don't think it's by that much, but I can totally see why people do think so yes, because the fight is pretty short and the end, with Amuro smacking the one-armed Sazabi around tends to warp perceptions from what I've seen. That said, Char clearly wasn't interested in fighting Amuro seriously when Amuro was in the Re-GZ, hence why he didn't use the funnels in the first place and was so ready to retreat when given the excuse. Which makes sense, given the fact he leaked the psychoframe to Amuro. He obviously wanted a one-on-one duel where both were in their custom suits and to beat him at his best, not to beat him with help when he was handicapped by a weaker unit. I also don't think Amuro was leading Char on a wild goose chase prior to that point, at least, not entirely, because Char was more interested in defending Axis itself from nuclear missiles and what not for part of the battle, so neither was really committing to it for a time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 2nd Origin episode had a bunch of pretty great character moments, and once again Ramba Ral stole the show.

Only thing that really bugged me was how they awkwardly show younger versions of a few characters just to have them be around. You see Amuro in a scene and it serves no purpose, to the point where even if you were to find someone who didn't know this was a prequel, that scene would key them in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are also *two* bar fights, in this episode, and they're both good for different reasons.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Amuro is a frightening motherfucker by the time of CCA. Taking out nameless mooks faster than anything in Wing, which is a ridiculous accomplishment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How was the CGI this time around? Are they still using the Battle of Loum as a framing device like the first film?

Shinjobi posted:

Amuro is a frightening motherfucker by the time of CCA. Taking out nameless mooks faster than anything in Wing, which is a ridiculous accomplishment.

Did you ever see that 30th anniversary animated short that was on one of the PS3 games? It was the Battle of A Baoa Qu from the POV of a Zeon and a Feddie grunt suit. Amuro shows up for about twenty seconds and utterly wastes the Zeon pilot's entire squadron like they were nothing.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 1, 2015

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Amuro was taking out battleships and mobile armors like they were nothing in the original series, if I recall right. I don't remember anyone tearing through ships quite so easily, unless they were just going straight for the bridge. Amuro was just shredding them in half

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

How was the CGI this time around? Are they still using the Battle of Loum as a framing device like the first film?

There's pretty much no mecha stuff outside of a scene where they're testing out mobile workers, and the CGI was fine for those. They didn't open up with that battle which is a shame since what we get instead is a 4 minute recap of the previous episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One thing I do appreciate about The Origin is that even though he hasn't had much screen time, Dozle is a lot more compelling here than he was in the original show.

Outside of awkwardly shoehorning in references to events in MSG, I really do enjoy how all of the characters have been handled so far, especially some that are minor characters in the series proper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

The 2nd Origin episode had a bunch of pretty great character moments, and once again Ramba Ral stole the show.

Only thing that really bugged me was how they awkwardly show younger versions of a few characters just to have them be around. You see Amuro in a scene and it serves no purpose, to the point where even if you were to find someone who didn't know this was a prequel, that scene would key them in.

Yeah, that's something I disliked in the original manga too. Some of them make a little sense (Mirai is established as being from a big deal family) but Babby Sayla meeting Babby Amuro is dumb dumb dumb.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's something I disliked in the original manga too. Some of them make a little sense (Mirai is established as being from a big deal family) but Babby Sayla meeting Babby Amuro is dumb dumb dumb.

Yeah

It's universally one of the lamest things a prequel can do, it's dumb fanservice that a lot of fans don't even want.

I didn't mind Mirai showing up since there was a point to it, as minor as it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did you ever see that 30th anniversary animated short that was on one of the PS3 games? It was the Battle of A Baoa Qu from the POV of a Zeon and a Feddie grunt suit. Amuro shows up for about twenty seconds and utterly wastes the Zeon pilot's entire squadron like they were nothing.

Well, elite grunts. The Zeon pilot has a Gelgoog, and the Feddie pilot is in a space command GM.

The best part was just before Amuro showed up, when a Guncannon just schools the guy in the Gelgoog. Charges in, springboards off his shield, blows up a Zaku II, and goes flying off to blow people up somewhere else without even getting scratched.

Unnamed Guncannon pilot is pretty badass for a dude with no lines.