Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Revol posted:

Has anyone checked out Endless Sky? Normally I skip the 'free to play' games, but I just happened to get curious on this one, after hovering over it and reading "inspired by the classic Escape Velocity series".

Oooooohhhhh??? I grew up on Macs, and I loving loved Escape Velocity.

Wait... no, it isn't inspired by Escape Velocity. It is Escape Velocity. It looks just like it. It plays just like it, down to the default controls using the arrow keys for ship control. It is essentially Escape Velocity 2015 with some marked improvements. The map navigation system is better, and I really appreciate how you can check prices of commodities from the map, so you can see where the high and low prices are. The game also includes a bank loan system; you start the game out taking a loan to buy your first ship, and you have to pay it off (at a stupid low interest rate). I'm only about an hour or two in, so I'm still using my first ship. Within another hour of game play I expect I'd be able to upgrade to a bigger shuttle, though I can't decide if I should focus on transporting people or cargo. My one complaint is the sound. Read the credits and you'll see the game is completely open source, and uses open source resources for the planet images and the sounds. There is no music, and audio from gameplay is sparce. They need to tweak the engine sounds; on my newbie shuttle, the sound 'pops' badly.

So... Escape Velocity, completely free-to-play, not freemium, open sourced with plugin mod support, available for Win, Linux and Mac.

I haven't played this game since initial release. What are the biggest additions it has seen?

I love EV and have been waiting so long for something along the same lines. Thanks for mentioning this. Are there story lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That just tells me you haven't played SWYDS2015:DYSSWYD yet.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When are they gonna let us know who the real dad is??? :argh:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

IndieGala Store is giving away free copies of Realms of the Haunting today!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, has anyone played STASIS http://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/ ? It looks interesting and I seem to recall that one of the creators are posting on this forum.

I played it through, it's a pretty good little point-and-click adventure game. Very old-school in nature, reminded me of something like Sanitarium. It took me about six hours to beat. If I had any criticism, it's that a couple of the later puzzles are pretty obscure and I just ended up looking at a walkthrough for the solution. Still, I enjoyed it.

Giant Bomb Quick Look here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-stasis/2300-10740/ that just spoils a few of the early puzzles.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Samurai posted:

This is a crazy game in more than one regard and highly recommend it if you can get past the horrible controls. Think Doom-as-point-and-click-adventure with sufficiently hammy live action cutcscenes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yer killin me here
Oh hey, thanks.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Anyone interested in the Zombie Army Trilogy? I would like 2 copies of the 4-pack, and I can buy. That would put it at around $12 each.

Let's do this...

1. Me
2. Me
3. you?
4. and you?

if you're in, shoot me a friend request on Steam, if we aren't friends already. Otherwise, just message me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/yegods

game link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/301640/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

Yer krillin me here

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm grinding some cards to get Kaiju A Go Go, since I've been interested in it. I'll probably do an effort post about if it's good or not.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

zedprime posted:

There's every indication in internet buzz that the Steam Link does everything it says on the package. I've been using wireless local network Steam streaming software on a dying 7 year old PC to great effect so I have no reason not to believe it works on their bespoke video decoder box that is the Link. But the only caveat does seem to be to use wired if you want to do anything remotely near being classified as "action"

Does your computer also have to be wired?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Revol posted:

Has anyone checked out Endless Sky? Normally I skip the 'free to play' games, but I just happened to get curious on this one, after hovering over it and reading "inspired by the classic Escape Velocity series".

Oooooohhhhh??? I grew up on Macs, and I loving loved Escape Velocity.

Wait... no, it isn't inspired by Escape Velocity. It is Escape Velocity. It looks just like it. It plays just like it, down to the default controls using the arrow keys for ship control. It is essentially Escape Velocity 2015 with some marked improvements. The map navigation system is better, and I really appreciate how you can check prices of commodities from the map, so you can see where the high and low prices are. The game also includes a bank loan system; you start the game out taking a loan to buy your first ship, and you have to pay it off (at a stupid low interest rate). I'm only about an hour or two in, so I'm still using my first ship. Within another hour of game play I expect I'd be able to upgrade to a bigger shuttle, though I can't decide if I should focus on transporting people or cargo. My one complaint is the sound. Read the credits and you'll see the game is completely open source, and uses open source resources for the planet images and the sounds. There is no music, and audio from gameplay is sparce. They need to tweak the engine sounds; on my newbie shuttle, the sound 'pops' badly.

So... Escape Velocity, completely free-to-play, not freemium, open sourced with plugin mod support, available for Win, Linux and Mac.

I haven't played this game since initial release. What are the biggest additions it has seen?

Holy crap! Thank you for sharing I've been thinking about digging up my copy of EV and playing around but I'm definitely going to check this out.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Zombie Samurai posted:

I still have my 4 CD set of that.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves
Yup, that hasn't installed on anything since Windows 95. I bought it again on GOG and now as a grown man can play without being terrified of those animal legs dropping down from the cavern/maze thing. I wonder how the non-GOG version installs... Did you watch the making of thing on the cds? God I miss Gremlin games...

edit: gently caress me, this account is 10 years old.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to sort your steam library by language? (Find all the games that have a specific language option and sort them into a separate category)
Nothing? Not even via enhanced steam or whatever?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I tried to continue D4 to finally finish it but it won't start up. :confused: The launcher doesn't show any resolution options, and then doesn't let me continue because I haven't chosen a resolution option.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: You can refund Batman Arkham Knight regardless of played time. :siren:

quote:

We are very sorry that many our customers continue to be unhappy with the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight. We worked hard to get the game to live up to the standard you deserve but understand that many of you are still experiencing issues.

Until the end of 2015, we will be offering a full refund on Batman: Arkham Knight PC, regardless of how long you have played the product. You can also return the Season Pass along with the main game (but not separately). For those of you that hold onto the game, we are going to continue to address the issues that we can fix and talk to you about the issues that we cannot fix.

Thank you,

Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment

quote:

and talk to you about the issues that we cannot fix.

Arkham Knight is the gift that keeps on giving :psyduck:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 31, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Arknight has been and continues to be a hilarious mess, and I predict it will continue to be for a little while longer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm curious if someone could buy the game now post announcement (Like an idiot), play the campaign all the way through and clock in 20-30 hours, then get a refund.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Infinitum posted:

I'm curious if someone could buy the game now post announcement (Like an idiot), play the campaign all the way through and clock in 20-30 hours, then get a refund.

If someone even actually gets it to work...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

Does your computer also have to be wired?

The host computer? Definitely.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blues & Bullets is a whole lot weirder than I was expecting. There's alternate history, like the hindenburg not crashing and being converted into a flying hotel, for example. And the crime scene in the first episode is one of the more brutal ones I've seen in any game.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Manky posted:

The host computer? Definitely.

gently caress meeeeeeeee.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Veskit posted:

gently caress meeeeeeeee.

If you're going to have to run a wire to the steam link you might as well just run an HDMI cable to your TV instead and skip the middleman (link)? I don't get it.

edit: someone in the thread said it would be needed for action games, to not use wireless and use wired instead for the link connection to your computer

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

mr. nobody posted:

If you're going to have to run a wire to the steam link you might as well just run an HDMI cable to your TV instead and skip the middleman (link)? I don't get it.

edit: someone in the thread said it would be needed for action games, to not use wireless and use wired instead for the link connection to your computer

What's the range on the controller?

Also how much would it cost to have a wireless hdmi set up at that point?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Blattdorf posted:

If someone even actually gets it to work...
Just a heads up that if Arkham Knight worked for somebody before but stopped working after the new release patch then you need to uninstall it and download it again. Yeah, it's idiotic and lol at WB but it works.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my God I love playing the new Wolfenstein games and having my wife walk by.

"Why are there Nazis on the moon?"
"Why did that guy come back to life and light on fire?"
"Why are Nazis falling out of the sky like meteors?"
"Is that a giant robot dog?"
"Why are you driving a robot now what is going on."

I couldn't answer a single question and it was great.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Palpek posted:

White Night - a stylish black and white adventure game
This game is very visually striking and has a sort of survival horror Resident Evil meets Alone in the Dark feel to it, but completely without combat, unless you count using light to drive away the things lurking in the dark as combat. It has some very frustrating sections though, especially towards the end. The monochromatic color scheme tends to result in important items getting lost on the screen, and the fixed camera angles add to that and make navigating the spaces often tricky.

I mostly dug the noir vibe though, with the melodramatic voiceover narration and whatnot. It has a conclusion that's a bit on the nose with the twist, but I liked the message. I did some navel-gazing analysis of it in the horror thread, if you want the ending spoiled: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165&pagenumber=78&perpage=40#post442724277

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

This made me laugh. I totally know that experience.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
They can't fix the poorly written Arkham Knight. That's what they mean. :v:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Tsyni posted:

I love EV and have been waiting so long for something along the same lines. Thanks for mentioning this. Are there story lines?

Their website says there is one storyline so far. They are open to volunteers to join the project, which includes writing. Which I have been impressed with so far. In that with a project like this, I would expect the writing to be a garbage fire, and it is not a garbage fire.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

mr. nobody posted:

Mine's working fine wirelessly. I think it's gonna depend heavily on how good your wifi is, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This game is very visually striking and has a sort of survival horror Resident Evil meets Alone in the Dark feel to it, but completely without combat, unless you count using light to drive away the things lurking in the dark as combat. It has some very frustrating sections though, especially towards the end. The monochromatic color scheme tends to result in important items getting lost on the screen, and the fixed camera angles add to that and make navigating the spaces often tricky.

I mostly dug the noir vibe though, with the melodramatic voiceover narration and whatnot. It has a conclusion that's a bit on the nose with the twist, but I liked the message. I did some navel-gazing analysis of it in the horror thread, if you want the ending spoiled: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165&pagenumber=78&perpage=40#post442724277
Unfortunately it happens to look like http://store.steampowered.com/app/2570/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Quest For Glory II posted:

Blues & Bullets is a whole lot weirder than I was expecting. There's alternate history, like the hindenburg not crashing and being converted into a flying hotel, for example. And the crime scene in the first episode is one of the more brutal ones I've seen in any game.

Also, its fun hearing Geralt's voice doing actual CSI-style crime investigation instead of Witcher-style crime investigation.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How does Shadowrun: Hong Kong compare to Dragonfall? I played through Dragonfall recently and really enjoyed it (I think it was the game Returns should have been).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Completely forgot about that one, that came out ages ago. I can confidently say White Night is much better though, it's actually coherent.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Ragequit posted:

Haha awesome.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

How does Shadowrun: Hong Kong compare to Dragonfall? I played through Dragonfall recently and really enjoyed it (I think it was the game Returns should have been).
It's arguably even better than Dragonfall, its great. You should definitely get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Max Wilco posted:

On another note, what's the consensus on Sword Coast Legends? It seems like there's been a bit of backlash at it, but I have no idea why. It looked pretty interesting, and I remember someone here in thread saying that the main campaign was pretty good. Is it worth waiting for it to go on sale?

I know this was 2 pages ago but Sword Coast Legends is bad. They just released a state of the game address. Every time I play it the game crashes at least once, classes are very much not balanced and any basic feature doesn't exist pretty much.

• Locked thread