Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nissans pitch though is it's more capable than a 1/2 ton and cheaper than a 3/4 ton. it might not be either.

the "3/4 ton hangup" is that at 8500lb gvwr, the government views it as a heavy truck. emissions standards change and insurance costs change. If you straddle the line, you have to meet both standards on a truck by truck basis, so the big 3 build 1/2 tons to be under, and 3/4 tons to be over.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

blk posted:

I think I remember you posting a Miata somewhere sunny on Ars a long time ago when I was active on the site - do you still have the same one? Funny how we ended up with the same garage minus the sweet press cars.

Hey, a fellow Saabaru owner!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Powershift posted:

It could also end up having a lower payload and max tow rating than the f-150. It's also likely to be hideously expensive. And VW drug diesels through the mud.

Cummins should just skip the titan, and offer the 5.0 as a crate motor.

still city/hwy/combined, it's 15.8/20.8/17.7, the diesel colorado got 25.5/29.3/27.1, and the 3.5 ecoboost f-150 is 14.8/19.9/16.8 and the 2.7 ecoboost f-150 is 16.1/21.5/18.5

It might end up less capable and less fuel efficient than a 2.7 liter gas engine

edit: that engine is 899lbs dry. the after treatment system alone is 95lbs. a fully loaded titan could be kissing 7000lbs.

Keep in mind that data is from a Motor Trend real world test, not the pie in the sky EPA bullshit.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

That's on par with edmunds 2.7L ecoboost f150 though. Seems pretty good actually? http://www.edmunds.com/ford/f-150/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-ford-f-150-fuel-economy-update-for-february.html

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The best thing about the new Titan is going to be the post-incentives pricing when they fail to sell on account of being a lovely obese half-measure aimed squarely at a tiny slice of the truck buying market.

I look at the Leaf and think poo poo, Nissan has things figured out. But I look at anything else they make and have to wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wheeee posted:

The best thing about the new Titan is going to be the post-incentives pricing when they fail to sell on account of being a lovely obese half-measure aimed squarely at a tiny slice of the truck buying market.

I look at the Leaf and think poo poo, Nissan has things figured out. But I look at anything else they make and have to wonder what the gently caress is wrong with them.

I can't wait. (I'm that tiny slice of the truck buying market)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Maybe it'll light a fire under Toyota's rear end since they won't be the only non-American truck in town anymore.

Much as I like the Tundra I just don't think I could justify one over a Sierra at this point.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

blk posted:

I think I remember you posting a Miata somewhere sunny on Ars a long time ago when I was active on the site - do you still have the same one? Funny how we ended up with the same garage minus the sweet press cars.

Yup, same one I bought when I moved to San Diego from the UK back in 2002. It's a bit the worse for wear now. Needs new tires which means new wheels because you can't get 14" all season performance tires anymore. Plus someone broke into it last year and hosed up the wiring underneath the dash so now the speedo doesn't work and there's a short so I have to leave it parked with the battery disconnected otherwise it drains and kills it. But neither my wife nor I want to sell it, so it's parked up and gets driven occasionally.

Are you as terrified as I am about getting any body damage on the Saaburu?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Aren't diesel trucks supposed to get much better economy while towing than gas trucks, regardless of what they get while empty. Maybe that's the point.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Yes they do, but do you want to test a v8 cummings diesel for reliability? Didn't pretty much every single new diesel engine have teething problems for years? Duramax cracked blocks, fords all had something, etc. I think the new 6.7L ford has been good but not out long enough either.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Throatwarbler posted:

Aren't diesel trucks supposed to get much better economy while towing than gas trucks, regardless of what they get while empty. Maybe that's the point.

Old ones did. New ones don't seem to have the same benefits anymore, with all the electronic aids to pass emissions.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

D C posted:

Keep in mind that data is from a Motor Trend real world test, not the pie in the sky EPA bullshit.
All my numbers came from the same testers and methods.

Throatwarbler posted:

They should be to a point, but combination weight plays a big factor and the titan has a whole bunch of Nissan to lug around in top of its load. A 900lb motor plus a transmission to handle 500 some ftlbs plus a frame to hold that weight in place, it doesn't make much sense to try to stay under 8500lbs just for marketing.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

drgitlin posted:

because you can't get 14" all season performance
I dunno the bitch rear end lies you been told but I am full throttle year round baby :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH DICK posted:

I dunno the bitch rear end lies you been told but I am full throttle year round baby :colbert:

A man for all seasons

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

That grille :stare:

e: more like :manning:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do you guys think the 2016 Malibu will be better than competing stuff like the new Accord? I'm really loving the designs for GMs latest cars. The Camaro, Malibu and Cruze all look awesome inside and out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

Do you guys think the 2016 Malibu will be better than competing stuff like the new Accord? I'm really loving the designs for GMs latest cars. The Camaro, Malibu and Cruze all look awesome inside and out.

I kinda wish they'd name the next gen Malibu something new. When I hear 'Malibu' I instantly think 'rental car'.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday
All I really wanna see out of a new Malibu is it being Alpha-based with the 3.6 Twin Turbo engine on an SS trim. Build the new Impala on it too, but put an LT1 in it for an SS trim. Then GM will have repented for it's sins in my book.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
While we're at it, I'll take a rebirth of the Honda S2000 at under 20k.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Honestly talking about GM making cool/exciting/fun cars that aren't Camaro or Corvette makes me feel like a battered wife. He told me HE CHANGED!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
You can get an ATS V for only $75,000!

I don't really understand why they needed to put a TT V6 in it when they could have saved a bunch of production costs and used the LT1

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 1, 2015

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Anything they make now would just be a bastardization of what it really should be unfortunately

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Nodoze posted:

Anything they make now would just be a bastardization of what it really should be unfortunately

Kinda like the last time they made a MX5/S2k competitor?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

You can get an ATS V for only $75,000!

I don't really understand why they needed to put a TT V6 in it when they could have saved a bunch of production costs and used the LT1

Tuners are already getting pretty insane numbers out of the ATS-V so I think it's going to be ok. Like well over 500 at the wheels with bolt ons and a tune.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Im still expecting a special edition 3.5EB Mustang at some point. I'll be disappointed if they use a 2.7EB.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Unfortunately there's a problem with a lot of the newer GM models. Going with the LT in the new Camaro means you have to deal with the DoD system limiting any gains you can get out of the engine. They really should have just kept the LS3.

Basically minus a few cosmetic tunes the only way you're gonna have fun with the new Camaro SS is to cam it right away and that's way too much of a bitch. For less money you could probably tune the turbo4 Camaro to 500hp and still come out ahead financially and in performance.

Same issues with the new Z06. They have the wrong blower in it and your performance will degrade the more you drive it thanks to heat soak. When you really look at the engineering for these newer GMs you can see tons of corner cutting and bullshit decisions that hurt the car. I would even argue an older early 2000s Camaro V6 is a better deal.

The bullshit fuel economy measures they've taken with a lot of new cars is strangling the options tuners got to really get optimal performance out of their cars.

Maybe this is what your trade off is for not getting something like a C63.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Kraftwerk posted:

Unfortunately there's a problem with a lot of the newer GM models. Going with the LT in the new Camaro means you have to deal with the DoD system limiting any gains you can get out of the engine. They really should have just kept the LS3.

Basically minus a few cosmetic tunes the only way you're gonna have fun with the new Camaro SS is to cam it right away and that's way too much of a bitch. For less money you could probably tune the turbo4 Camaro to 500hp and still come out ahead financially and in performance.

Same issues with the new Z06. They have the wrong blower in it and your performance will degrade the more you drive it thanks to heat soak. When you really look at the engineering for these newer GMs you can see tons of corner cutting and bullshit decisions that hurt the car. I would even argue an older early 2000s Camaro V6 is a better deal.

The bullshit fuel economy measures they've taken with a lot of new cars is strangling the options tuners got to really get optimal performance out of their cars.

This is some good satire of a Jalopnik comment, nicely done.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

lomarf

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

I would even argue an older early 2000s Camaro V6 is a better deal.

The Camaro has been on a downhill slide ever since reaching the zenith that was, the V6 catfish.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

The Camaro has been on a downhill slide ever since reaching the zenith that was, the V6 catfish.

This argument seemed to work on a good amount of my high school classmates.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Land Rover Discovery. Looks like a box.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/31/2017-land-rover-discovery-lr4-lr5-spy-shots/#slide-3685543

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

They will not stop until every model is an Escalade.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It's not like Land Rovers beng nouveau riche trash is something new.

That said, and to be fair, the British occasionally do something of value.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Saints Row 5 graphics looking hella sweet

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If that Discovery looks the same as the render I saw earlier in the year that they were looking to put out then it's a great looking car with a couple of nice little design touches and nods to the old versions, of particular note the 'panel' on the back of the rear passenger doors that breaks up the rear windows. On the render it looked really cool, dunno how it'll affect visibility for anyone sat in the middle row though. The render was done in oldschool Land Rover green and it was smart and considering I've not liked anything they've put out since forever I was quite surprised at how much the render made me appreciate the design.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Cool video about the GT350, just try to ignore the jokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbNlkP-ZSM

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Rather unsurprisingly, more VAG diesels caught with emissions testing cheating: http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/4A45A5661216E66C85257EF10061867B

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

A bunch of ride along reviews have come out for the Focus RS and they all hype the car. Waiting for this car is slowly killing me.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

GokieKS posted:

Rather unsurprisingly, more VAG diesels caught with emissions testing cheating: http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/4A45A5661216E66C85257EF10061867B

"Wait, you mean we were supposed to be looking at the 3.0 too? I thought we were just investigating our 2.0 engines. Silly us!"

-VW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
This is like the car maker equivalent of resisting arrest, right? So they're probably going to be paying the maximum fine now?