Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

hemale in pain posted:

five elements ninjas is potentially the best movie I've ever seen.

"the very costumes and weapons in this film are based on japanese ancient catalogs and collections"
There are some pretty great shaw bros. flicks up on netflix that no doubt have been mentioned before. However check out "Masked Avengers" if you like seeing multiple people get murked with golden tridents, burned by acid spitting walls, and sliced through the torso from a doorway with an aperture style bladed trap.

Netflix however needs to get more Lau Kar Leung directed SB flicks like My Young Auntie and Legendary Weapons of China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Short Penguin posted:

Candyman is great in it's cheese.

Cheesy is just about the last word I'd use to describe Candyman.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Cheesy is just about the last word I'd use to describe Candyman.
Have you forgotten the pimp coat?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

treating its premise with deadly gravity is what makes Candyman really work. the scene where he first materializes is still terrifying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The only thing I might call cheesy about Candyman is its depiction of an inner city project. I don't think cheesy is really the appropriate term though, more like its very stylized.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
more like beesy

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
This discussion got me listening to the Candyman soundtrack, which I was not aware was composed by Philip Glass of all people.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Darthemed posted:

more like beesy

Noice.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This discussion got me listening to the Candyman soundtrack, which I was not aware was composed by Philip Glass of all people.

Yeah it is easily my favorite horror soundtrack.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

more like beesy

wow

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Darthemed posted:

more like beesy

:yeah:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Basebf555 posted:

The only thing I might call cheesy about Candyman is its depiction of an inner city project. I don't think cheesy is really the appropriate term though, more like its very stylized.
Yeah, I would say that it's more got a dated early 90's feel, so in an era long past where a lot of action or horror movies take a gritty, dark, super-realistic tone, it does come off as a bit goofier than it did at the time. (i.e. It reads as cheesy next to something like Saw, but compared to the slasher flicks of the time, it was far more grounded.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

"Cheesy" but nightmarish, like the Grand Guignol crack-fortress The Carter in New Jack City.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Saw feels way more dated then Candyman to me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Saw feels way more dated then Candyman to me

100%

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I've been watching Ancient Aliens and it is really... something. I've scene bits and pieces of it flipping through the channels so I knew to expect a whole bunch of bad science, which the show really delivers on. However, I wasn't prepare for the bad religion, which is a pretty fun twist. I thought the only thing that the show was missing for the History Channel trifecta was some Hitler. Then bam, in episode 3, Nazi UFO based superweapons.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Simplex posted:

I've been watching Ancient Aliens and it is really... something. I've scene bits and pieces of it flipping through the channels so I knew to expect a whole bunch of bad science, which the show really delivers on. However, I wasn't prepare for the bad religion, which is a pretty fun twist. I thought the only thing that the show was missing for the History Channel trifecta was some Hitler. Then bam, in episode 3, Nazi UFO based superweapons.

There really is something to offend every sensibility.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Let us Prey is really reminding me of It Follows in the style and that I'm finding it sort of boring but decent at the same time.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Showtime's stand alone service has better picture quality than HBO Now.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Is there anything worth watching on Showtime aside from shameless?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Penny Dreadful is pretty good. They have a couple of decent movies like Twelve Monkey's and An American Werewolf In London. I'm just using a free month and cancelling.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody use HBO Now on a Apple TV 3? I read somewhere that the app in the newly released ATV 4 finally allows you to add a TV series to your watchlist; I'm curious if this has been back-ported to the "app" on the 3rd gen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Human Centipede 3 is on Netflix now. I haven't mustered up the :effort: to watch it yet, since the second one was so bad compared to the first one (which was legitimately great).

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I really liked the first two seasons of Homeland. I make no promises beyond that.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Definitely penny dreadful.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
If anyone is desperate for films like Coherence, Timecrimes, Triangle and, uh, Project X; give +1 a shot. It might seem pretty vapid and misogynistic at first but there's a message to be had if you can stick it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Which Project X? The good one, or the one by the guy who did American Ultra?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Definitely penny dreadful.

Happyish is loving awesome and below everybody's radar.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

precision posted:

Human Centipede 3 is on Netflix now. I haven't mustered up the :effort: to watch it yet, since the second one was so bad compared to the first one (which was legitimately great).

I feel the sane about the first two. The first one was great, the second was complete dog poo poo. Don't waste your time watching it.

What's the third like? I didn't know it existed till right now.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
just a heads up:

THE BEAST is a steamy thriller the way MR HANDS is a steamy thriller.

I wouldn't exactly say DO NOT watch The Beast. I would say, do not watch the beast with your date.

(horse sex, first 5 minutes of the film. Like, hard core horse sex. what.)

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Which Project X? The good one, or the one by the guy who did American Ultra?

The second (bad) one. +1 I felt was trying to satirize Project X but skated dangerously close to being just as exploitive

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I liked the concept of +1 but I thought it was a pretty awful movie.

Can anyone recommend some good movies on Fandor? I'm totally lost but I've been getting into Jodorowsky lately so I'd like to find some good stuff that's similarly "out there."

Ex Machina is finally on Netflix Canada, probably going to be checking that one out tonight.

Edit: Holy poo poo, everyone watch Five Elements Ninjas immediately.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 3, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

magnificent7 posted:

just a heads up:

I wouldn't exactly say DO NOT watch The Beast. I would say, do not watch the beast with your date.

Added to the list, thanks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Angel Heart is (back?) on Netflix. Rewatched it today and it just keeps getting better, for example I never really noticed how fantastic the set work and cinematography are.

Shame there are exactly two shots in the film that kind of ruin the mood completely, if you removed those then it would be a reasonably perfect film.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Evil Mastermind posted:

If you want something to help you get over the Halloween spookums, Twitch is actually hosting a Bob Ross marathon.

Man I wish this'd be a permanent thing, it's been really fun to watch over the past few days.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

magnificent7 posted:

just a heads up:

That's not even the most bizarre thing in The Beast.

The beast in question titfucks a lady with a big prop cock that cums all over her.

That movie's Plot Keywords page on IMDB is a fun read.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Walerian Borowczyk was an up and coming director with a good amount of buzz behind him before he decided to throw it all away by making The Beast.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Walerian Borowczyk was an up and coming director with a good amount of buzz behind him before he decided to throw it all away by making The Beast.

Now I really want to see it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Vosgian Beast posted:

...wait, really? His Wiki page (and the Wiki pages for his movies) doesn't seem to corroborate this- it seems like, while The Beast kinda dulled his international star, it made his career in France flourish.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The Beast kinda dulled his international star, it made his career in France flourish.

Big shock there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Taken 3 looks terrible, but is is fun terrible or unwatchable? The first one was kind of s guilty pleasure.

It's on HBO at the moment.