Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
you could make B a nested static class in A and it'll work with some refactoring. what were you really trying to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Brain Candy posted:

no instance of B, so yeah, should be blowing up during the compile

Dang it that A.print() method is supposed to be static. Both the javac compiler and the one Eclipse uses let it through, but it fails at runtime because A isn't public. Even though you can call B.print() just fine normally.

pepito sanchez posted:

you could make B a nested static class in A and it'll work with some refactoring. what were you really trying to do?

We've got generated code as a base level and hand-written code that extends it. The base level is supposed to be package-private, because we don't want everywhere else making references to it instead of going through the public classes. I had some utility code that was trying to use a method reference to call stuff in the package-private base classes and the JVM choked on it with IllegalAccessExceptions.

Eclipse was being smarter than javac, by calling the reference "B.print()" in the compiled classes. The stock compiler was referencing "A.print()," even though that would be illegal at compile time.

CPColin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 1, 2015

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

...are you expecting me to concede an argument

i'm just being flippant and crude.

quote:

anyway, you're not understanding the problem. the author of X really just wants to use a mix-in to automatically wrap their implementation of a method. c3 linearization doesn't help

i opened with "i'm not even 10% sure about this" and it's still true

i just found it weird they didn't use C3 because it's real popular elsewhere.

(now i think about it I think c3 would reject what i was thinking)

(edited: i guess i misread your post and thought you were taking a swipe at c3 )

tef fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 1, 2015

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
mostly just taking a wild swipe at everything

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rjmccall posted:

mostly just taking a wild swipe at everything

yeah :sigh:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
random abuse aside, though, the implementation concern is real. scala really wants to, in the end, generate a fairly normal java class. it'll happily assemble that class's methods out of trait methods, cloning stuff all over the place, but it really wants actual classes to correspond to jvm classes (or else it has to recreate everything provided by the jvm for them), and the jvm doesn't have a primitive dispatch mechanism that even vaguely approximates next-method. super calls in the jvm are load-time dispatched. so being able to statically dispatch a super call — at least enough to say whether it goes to a trait added by the current class (which can then be cloned/inlined into the current class/method, which it has to do anyway), or directly to the superclass (which can then use normal super dispatch) — is a big deal, because otherwise you have to simulate that dispatch by hand, which is not straightforward to do even remotely efficiently in a VM that doesn't have first-class function/method references. scala gets a lot of value from being able to say "and all this stuff ultimately compiles to normal java-like code that the jvm knows how to make fast"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

gonadic io posted:

I never should have done it in the first place. I loathed all of my dissertations, I don't have a passion for research, I don't want a PhD for its own sake. I said yes because it seemed like the easiest thing to do at the time.

I stuck it out for 15 months or so: wrote my papers, spoke at conferences, volunteered for an absurd amount of teaching assistanting.

But at the end of the day that wasn't enough and it caught up with me. Maybe if I had a better work ethic I could have done it while hating it, but that's not me.
That's me about my MSc, except since it only took me about 24 months to finish (could've been 12-18 months but I took the springs/summers off) instead of 4-5 years, I actually managed to barely scrape through it with my sanity intact. I was never particularly into it though. I started the program because I wanted some time to sort my personal life out before finding a career, and then within a couple of months it became pretty well sorted out so I kind of just wanted to be done with it almost as quickly as it started. Glad I stuck it out but I wouldn't have been able to do another two years.

You can still go back later and finish it later if you want to right? My advisor really wants me to do a PhD and all I can tell him is that someday when I am rich and in early retirement and have nothing but free time, then maybe I'll be able to squeeze it in.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Volte posted:

That's me about my MSc, except since it only took me about 24 months to finish (could've been 12-18 months but I took the springs/summers off) instead of 4-5 years, I actually managed to barely scrape through it with my sanity intact. I was never particularly into it though. I started the program because I wanted some time to sort my personal life out before finding a career, and then within a couple of months it became pretty well sorted out so I kind of just wanted to be done with it almost as quickly as it started. Glad I stuck it out but I wouldn't have been able to do another two years.

You can still go back later and finish it later if you want to right? My advisor really wants me to do a PhD and all I can tell him is that someday when I am rich and in early retirement and have nothing but free time, then maybe I'll be able to squeeze it in.

basically same

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

academia is so relaxing though. basically drink coffee and lazily ponder stuff all day. then a bit of ocd with latex and you go home

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

sarehu posted:

Ahhhh

http://www.charlesetc.com/rust/2015/10/29/

Rust has found its equivalent of the monad tutorial.

lifetimes are pretty easy to get if you a little time with the language, not sure why it need a tutorial. The rust community seems odd to me, everyone writes about pointless simple poo poo that you could figure out with even the most basic project

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

academia is so relaxing though. basically drink coffee and lazily ponder stuff all day. then a bit of ocd with latex and you go home
yeah, and rock back and forth and wonder how you're going to pay the rent this month and still manage to finish everything

edit: although it was like you say for the first year, when i was under full scholarship. when the scholarship ran out it got hairy trying to do enough programming work to live on while still going to school

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
would anyone recommend going back to get a masters/phd? I've been out of school for a few years and I like what I work on (distributed systems), but I want to work on making distributed systems easier to write which doesn't seem like something anyone will pay me to do outside of research

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think it has already more or less been illustrated what decides this; how good a deal you get. i had good pay all through my graduate studies, and enjoyed myself immensely. when you have no special material worries the pressures of actually coming up with good results aren't so bad. money is not the whole story for the deal though, you'd better also figure out whether you are getting the position to be a mindless lackey to a professor, or to do your own thing

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I did a Masters by Research to make it easier for me to get a green card (then five-year long immigration backlog for <Masters degree holders somehow mysteriously vanished in the intervening time lol owned). I picked a very difficult project and my supervisor was an incompetent and abusive fuckwit who didn't know a single goddamn thing but was really good at bringing in money by blowing smoke up peoples' asses I guess. Also I did like no work for almost half of the year so that didn't exactly help either. I put some insane crunch time in and overran by two months but I just barely survived, and got a masters with distinction as well. I then spent about three months doing nothing and not even thinking about finding a job in order to recover from the stress.

Now I'm working for an abusive employer in the USA building their entire loving product and hoping my green card comes through before they fail or I drink myself to death :suicide:

I may as well see it through but dear god this wasn't worth it. The entire second half of my 20s which are now in the past tense were a cesspit of stress, isolation and misery.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Mr Dog posted:

I did a Masters by Research to make it easier for me to get a green card (then five-year long immigration backlog for <Masters degree holders somehow mysteriously vanished in the intervening time lol owned). I picked a very difficult project and my supervisor was an incompetent and abusive fuckwit who didn't know a single goddamn thing but was really good at bringing in money by blowing smoke up peoples' asses I guess. Also I did like no work for almost half of the year so that didn't exactly help either. I put some insane crunch time in and overran by two months but I just barely survived, and got a masters with distinction as well. I then spent about three months doing nothing and not even thinking about finding a job in order to recover from the stress.

Now I'm working for an abusive employer in the USA building their entire loving product and hoping my green card comes through before they fail or I drink myself to death :suicide:

I may as well see it through but dear god this wasn't worth it. The entire second half of my 20s which are now in the past tense were a cesspit of stress, isolation and misery.

that sounds lovely, hope things are looking up

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
going back to school can be a good reset in a couple ways. the first is that you get a chance to fill in things that you missed from your undergrad; if you've realized that your first school was not the best, or if you just didn't take any classes in the field you've decided you care about, grad school gives you a shot at remedying that. and the second is that you're suddenly eligible for internships again, which is an enormous benefit if you want to switch fields, because you basically get the benefits of your prior work experience (you can relate to your interviewers better and discuss the practical trade-offs of different solutions to their questions) without really having it counted against you (the "not really junior and not really senior" problem). oh, and the third is that you'll get a solid idea of academic life and can make a better decision about whether it's for you instead of idly fantasizing about what it'd be like

so joining a program can have a ton of benefits. but always remember that finishing your program is only relevant if it's a phd and you actually want to be an academic

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

rjmccall posted:

going back to school can be a good reset in a couple ways. the first is that you get a chance to fill in things that you missed from your undergrad; if you've realized that your first school was not the best, or if you just didn't take any classes in the field you've decided you care about, grad school gives you a shot at remedying that. and the second is that you're suddenly eligible for internships again, which is an enormous benefit if you want to switch fields, because you basically get the benefits of your prior work experience (you can relate to your interviewers better and discuss the practical trade-offs of different solutions to their questions) without really having it counted against you (the "not really junior and not really senior" problem). oh, and the third is that you'll get a solid idea of academic life and can make a better decision about whether it's for you instead of idly fantasizing about what it'd be like

so joining a program can have a ton of benefits. but always remember that finishing your program is only relevant if it's a phd and you actually want to be an academic

my school was garbage I have no idea how I got hired to work on this poo poo :v:

sounds like I won't go back to school, most places require letters of recommendation and I have kept no contact with any professors from my school. Guess I'll just keep making things in my spare time

Sweeper fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 1, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sweeper posted:

that sounds lovely, hope things are looking up

ty :glomp:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I've definitely been considering going back to school. I have like a <1.0 gpa spread over 8 years (I dropped out of HS and started attending community college at ~15, realized no one would tell my parents if I just skipped classes, and proceeded to rack up ~3 years of Fs). Then I attempted to go back at around 23 and still managed to fail everything, even when I was the one footing the bill this time. I'm really bad at school for some reason.

I like what I'm doing but I want to work on more difficult problems and that's the primary problem I want to return to school.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
in fact, i would definitely recommend going back over going directly. i was in a group of friends where grad school became semi-expected; we had some very particular and condescending ideas of what normal jobs were like. a lot of them were very surprised when they finally left academia and found themselves doing very interesting and fulfilling work in industry. it's not that they got nothing from grad school; it's just that they went in without really understanding their options, and in retrospect they probably wouldn't have made the same choice

plus you're kindof burning your chance at those secondary advantages i mentioned, and it's a lot more awkward to go back when you've already been

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

ya, this is interesting because i don't have a cs degree and it sometimes leads to weird stumbles, especially since i'm surrounded by educated people.

I'll know about anything that i've worked with, to the point people forget. but every so often there are blank areas that I'll suddenly walk into

otoh, nobody who's gotten a masters has been that impressed so

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

rjmccall posted:

in fact, i would definitely recommend going back over going directly. i was in a group of friends where grad school became semi-expected; we had some very particular and condescending ideas of what normal jobs were like. a lot of them were very surprised when they finally left academia and found themselves doing very interesting and fulfilling work in industry. it's not that they got nothing from grad school; it's just that they went in without really understanding their options, and in retrospect they probably wouldn't have made the same choice

plus you're kindof burning your chance at those secondary advantages i mentioned, and it's a lot more awkward to go back when you've already been

This is good advice IMO. You'll also probably work much harder if you've had some time in industry first than going straight from undergrad, if you're anything like me.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I've definitely been considering going back to school. I have like a <1.0 gpa spread over 8 years (I dropped out of HS and started attending community college at ~15, realized no one would tell my parents if I just skipped classes, and proceeded to rack up ~3 years of Fs). Then I attempted to go back at around 23 and still managed to fail everything, even when I was the one footing the bill this time. I'm really bad at school for some reason.

I like what I'm doing but I want to work on more difficult problems and that's the primary problem I want to return to school.

most of my advice has been about grad school, but some of it might still apply. but... well, it kindof sounds like you keep sabotaging yourself, honestly, and you probably need to figure that out before going back is ever going to work out. i know plenty of people who weren't ready for school — not academically, but psychologically — the first time they went, and eventually they went back and had no trouble, but sometimes it was a lot of years later. i guess i'm saying, don't act like going back is going to fix anything by itself if you still aren't sure how you let things go wrong before, and it'll still be there when you figure it out

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

are you an uncredited member of the #cobol flip mode squad or something? i don't see why someone would go through all this poo poo to get a green card otherwise, esp since most euros view america as a barren hellscape of human misery

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blotto Skorzany posted:

are you an uncredited member of the #cobol flip mode squad or something? i don't see why someone would go through all this poo poo to get a green card otherwise, esp since most euros view america as a barren hellscape of human misery

it's only a barren hellscape of human misery if you're poor or black, it looks pretty sweet from europe if you've got white skin and money and prospects and don't care that your lifestyle is hastening the extinction of the human race

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Blotto Skorzany posted:

idk for one reason or another all of my friends have ended up being americans

also i hate london and if you remove london from the uk you're basically left with an economy on a par with Italy or Spain or some other 40% unemployment poo poo hole like that. the uk, spain, and italy are lovely places to visit to gawk at tourist poo poo but they're rather crap to actually live in.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Sweeper posted:

would anyone recommend going back to get a masters/phd? I've been out of school for a few years and I like what I work on (distributed systems), but I want to work on making distributed systems easier to write which doesn't seem like something anyone will pay me to do outside of research

if you can afford it, i recommend it.

master's studies were easy as hell, the hardest part of it for me was finding a subject for my thesis and then finding motivation to write enough words to so it could be called a thesis of some kind.

i re-enrolled 7 years after getting my bachelor's degree and finished the studies in 3 years, with a 18-month study leave during which i was a full time student.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Soricidus posted:

it's only a barren hellscape of human misery if you're poor or black, it looks pretty sweet from europe if you've got white skin and money and prospects and don't care that your lifestyle is hastening the extinction of the human race

also if you like money. afaik, coders don't get six figgies in europe.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Wheany posted:

Relative to cost of living they do.

Mr Dog posted:

also i hate london and if you remove london from the uk you're basically left with an economy on a par with Italy or Spain or some other 40% unemployment poo poo hole like that. the uk, spain, and italy are lovely places to visit to gawk at tourist poo poo but they're rather crap to actually live in.

lmao, you've never lived outside London ( in the UK ) have you?

jre fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 1, 2015

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

jre posted:

the home counties are basically the commuter belt of london

Edinburgh isn't bad

what else is left? birmingham? manchester? literally no jobs.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
how about nottingha--pffft haha

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

the home counties are basically the commuter belt of london

Edinburgh isn't bad

what else is left? birmingham? manchester? literally no jobs.

there are quite a few in bath/bristol area if you work in software i think. mi5 has offices in cheltenham and they certainly advertise for vacancies a lot

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

CPColin posted:

Eclipse was being smarter than javac, by calling the reference "B.print()" in the compiled classes. The stock compiler was referencing "A.print()," even though that would be illegal at compile time.

2 things:

https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/non-javac-compilers.html

amusingly

code:
    IntStream.range(0, 10).forEach(i -> example.a.B.print(i));

works

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, that was when I sighed and figured I'd better file it. I even included that line in the report, so they can't claim the method reference shouldn't work.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Wheany posted:

should i move to berlin? i have an outstanding over to do so and like bro down with our ML scientists and take 2 hour lunches every day

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

jre posted:

no loving way

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

jre posted:

I've lived in Edinburgh on and off for six years. Scenery-wise it's my favourite place in the entire world. Job-wise there's Amazon and uh I guess Skyscanner? ask tef how much fun those guys are to work for.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Mr Dog posted:

I've lived in Edinburgh on and off for six years. Scenery-wise it's my favourite place in the entire world. Job-wise there's Amazon and uh I guess Skyscanner?.

Fan duel now as well if you are going for tech companies and startups

gently caress loads of evil merchant bank jobs in Glasgow as well as CGI and loads of smaller tech companies.

quote:

ask tef how much fun those guys are to work for
Which one ?
I know folk at both , Amazon Edinburgh good to work for ( yes really ), Skyscanner very good.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
yeah but does Edinburgh have a WeWork(tm)???

I think not :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

jre posted:

Skyscanner very good.

http://thedailywtf.com/articles/The-Difference-Between-Better-and-Less-Bad