Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Berke Negri posted:

They should just get rid of racial passives IMO, especially since that's the direction the main games have been going towards.

I still laugh every time in my current playthrough of Oblivion that an Ayleid poison trap triggers and I'm just mildly inconvenienced rather than dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Like leave in the stuff that's like "15% more exp with x weapon" as that adds cultural flair but really, especially in a game where it takes so long to level, its really regressive to have such a big choice locked in right from the get go when ZOS either can't or won't bother to actually try and balance racial passives.

I don't think anyone would be sad to see them go (caveat: at least one person would threaten to kill themselves over it on the main forum) and it would save ZOS a lot of headaches down the road.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Incurring the wrath of poopsockers... do those numbers matter much outside of raiding and possibly PvP*

*Two-shotted by sorcs a few months back, could have been VR12 with minmaxed gear

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Berke Negri posted:

They should just get rid of racial passives IMO, especially since that's the direction the main games have been going towards.

That and classes.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

GuyUpNorth posted:

Incurring the wrath of poopsockers... do those numbers matter much outside of raiding and possibly PvP*

*Two-shotted by sorcs a few months back, could have been VR12 with minmaxed gear

In PvE? Nah, not really.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

JackBadass posted:

That and classes.

Yeah I agree, though that is probably not possible.

The impression I had for the datamined spell crafting stuff was that it would bridge the various classes strengths and weaknesses.

Though the real issue with classes I think is there's not much making you "feel" like a dragon knight or night blade. I mean you've got the different playstyles but story wise. Since they basically make you do every quest (if you're not grinding) this kind of hurts replayability

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I was telling Scy this the other week over IM but basically I didn't do ESO 2.0 but if I did I would have got rid of all faction gating in PVE content. You basically pick a faction to start in (or your race choice picks that) and you get out of Coldharbour and after that you basically can have your pick of the faction starter areas to go to. You can then play through the 1- 50 story how sensically you want to in true TES fashion. Either help just one faction but pop over to Valenwood when you want to do Bosmer poo poo, or work for all three sides simultaneously. Cyrodiil is the only place faction choice matters.

Get rid of VR, just redistribute all the crafting tiers so you have new crafting tiers every like four or five levels instead of ten, so by the time you hit 50 you got VR 14 gear. Craglorn, IC, Cyrodiil and whatever DLC is where you get "VR 16" grade mats.

The new open questing structure also has much more sped up leveling, like less than a week to hit 50. Basically bank that people are going to stick around and roll a bunch of gimmick alt playthroughs after they have one of every class for actual endgame, like you do in TES games.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah I agree, though that is probably not possible.

The impression I had for the datamined spell crafting stuff was that it would bridge the various classes strengths and weaknesses.

Though the real issue with classes I think is there's not much making you "feel" like a dragon knight or night blade. I mean you've got the different playstyles but story wise. Since they basically make you do every quest (if you're not grinding) this kind of hurts replayability

They should have gave all characters access to all the skill trees of the different classes. I don't see that kind of change ever happening, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What are the benefits and drawbacks for the Templar and Dragonknight? I want to play something tanky, with good mitigation and self-healing.

DragonKnight is the way to go then. Good damage mitigation via class passives, active skills, and like tgi said, a class Ultimate that caps all damage at 3% of maximum health. They also have good crowd control to boot, with roots, pulls, and snares. They also get a good amount of resource recovery via class passives too, allowing you to be more offensive than other classes when tanking.

Templars on the other hand, lack the control abilities of DKs, but have quite a few self-heals and group buffs that make up for that.

Nightblades are fantastic for offensive tanking as well. Sorcerers are probably the only ones that don't have any real fluff for group buffs, but I've had moderate success rolling a Vampire magicka sorc with a sword and board/resto staff combo.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Logged back in for the first time in months. I'm only a lowly level 9 Nightblade but I have a full skill reset and no idea what is/was good. Using daggers and a bow, obviously. Can anyone give me a quick and effective build?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The latest skill swap add on seems good. I'll post the name tomorrow, but it can mostly remember a gear and skill load and then allows you to set a preset for it. It remembers the entire gear set, but seems to forget the skills for second bar. Easy to just make another set for that though. During set up it gets an occasional error that is handled by UI reload and doesn't seem to get any while actually being used.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Berke Negri posted:

Get rid of VR, just redistribute all the crafting tiers so you have new crafting tiers every like four or five levels instead of ten, so by the time you hit 50 you got VR 14 gear. Craglorn, IC, Cyrodiil and whatever DLC is where you get "VR 16" grade mats.

Removing veteran ranks means removing two-thirds of the game where you have any sense of progression. It also removes the ability of the game designers to perform a gear reset and give people who have finished all the content a new sense of progression. Basically, it destroys the game to make PvP whiners happy, so don't worry, it'll happen next DLC.

In the olden days, you really had to be max veteran rank to play non-vet PvP. So people would hit v1, get crushed in vet PvP, discover they needed to do two whole factions worth of content to get back into it, complain about the "slog", and just quit. Never mind that it's no more of a slog than 1-50 (provided you don't over-level), and is actually even faster now (+50% xp for quests and 15% less xp to level). But they fixed the PvP problem by making v1 players much closer to v16 players damage- and gear-wise in 2.0, then battle leveling everyone to v16 just to be sure. They're still tweaking battle leveling (and champion points :argh:) but in my experience, as long as you have nice crafted gear, you'll be fine in PvP without being max level.

You should come back and give it a try. I've actually had some genuine fun in PvP a few times recently, and that hasn't happened since they took out forward camps.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

Logged back in for the first time in months. I'm only a lowly level 9 Nightblade but I have a full skill reset and no idea what is/was good. Using daggers and a bow, obviously. Can anyone give me a quick and effective build?

Pretty much anything works while leveling up. Here's how I have fun as a stamina nightblade:

1. Get a two-hander.
2. Level the first two skills to the morph. Choose brawler and critical rush, respectively. Add at least one skill from each class skill tree for leveling purposes, too.
3. When you see something that needs to die, hit critical rush from as far away as you can.
4a. In combat, use light attack, wait a quarter of a second, use brawler, and repeat until they're dead.
4b. If you're out of stamina, hold down light attack until the animation starts winding up a heavy, then press brawler to cancel it (you'll do both).
5. When everything's dead, go back to step 3.

When you get your second bar at level 15, get another two-hander and work towards this:

bar 1 2h (single): rally+evil hunter+wrecking blow+executioner+reaper's mark (u) flawless dawnbreaker/shooting star/veil of blades
bar 2 2h (aoe): rally+ambush+evil hunter/relentless focus/flex+brawler+reaper's mark (u) soul harvest

Keep rally up all the time slamming it again when you need health. Keep reaper's on a trash mob as a safety valve, otherwise, put it on the boss. Single target: hit executioner until your sword is almost all the way back, then hit light attack. The two should hit at almost the same time. When the boss is under 20%, switch to light weaves on executioner (quarter-second delay, just like brawler). AOE: brawler light weave (for sustain) same as before. You can hold block and spam brawler without weaving for more damage and less sustain, or do a heavy weave for less damage and more sustain. Soul harvest will give you loads of ult (plus 20% more damage), which you can spend on your favorite bar 1 ult. Be sure to use wrecking blow or ambush before hitting your bar 1 ult for yet another 20% damage buff.

Prob the highest damage class for stamina, but also the squishiest (gets even worse with dw/bow). Try to get some engine guardian gear someday, too.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

tgidieday posted:

Removing veteran ranks means removing two-thirds of the game where you have any sense of progression. It also removes the ability of the game designers to perform a gear reset and give people who have finished all the content a new sense of progression. Basically, it destroys the game to make PvP whiners happy, so don't worry, it'll happen next DLC.

In the olden days, you really had to be max veteran rank to play non-vet PvP. So people would hit v1, get crushed in vet PvP, discover they needed to do two whole factions worth of content to get back into it, complain about the "slog", and just quit. Never mind that it's no more of a slog than 1-50 (provided you don't over-level), and is actually even faster now (+50% xp for quests and 15% less xp to level). But they fixed the PvP problem by making v1 players much closer to v16 players damage- and gear-wise in 2.0, then battle leveling everyone to v16 just to be sure. They're still tweaking battle leveling (and champion points :argh:) but in my experience, as long as you have nice crafted gear, you'll be fine in PvP without being max level.

You should come back and give it a try. I've actually had some genuine fun in PvP a few times recently, and that hasn't happened since they took out forward camps.

I never had a problem with pvp. I mean, I can't speak with certainty, but you can probably look through the thread history and I never complained about it ever (except when barrier sorcs were really bad, that was dumb). Even in immediate post-2.0 a person who was VR 7 or so could really make a difference if they knew what they were doing, I know, I did that a few times. Thats one of the good things of ESO PVP, its not arenas and groups aren't really set. Even when we were losing I still liked setting up some trebuchets and just trying to take down a wall.

Removing veteran ranks is the best thing the game could do though. Let's not kid ourselves, most dedicated PVErs or PVPers do not care about 1-50 or Caldwell's Silver and Gold, its just a thing to grind mobs through.

edit: Im subbed up to, I think, next April by the way. I'm not bitter in any way, I think this is a good game that anyone should try. As I've said, repeatedly, in this thread I'm catching up on other games from lack of time.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 1, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Sense of progression is a lie, though. I don't think anyone killed Molag Bal and felt a greater sense of progression having to play along not killing Molag Bal doing silver and gold. There's better ways. ZOS is definitely torn between making the game more casual (should have been from get go) and hardcore. That's why everything coming from them is such a mixed mess.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Removing veteran ranks is the best thing the game could do though. Let's not kid ourselves, most dedicated PVErs or PVPers do not care about 1-50 or Caldwell's Silver and Gold, its just a thing to grind mobs through.

It's not anything specific about Cadwell's Silver or Gold, it's that it's an RPG. You put in x units of work and get y units of bigger numbers. Every so often, there's a scene change so it doesn't get boring. That's the genre's formula. If you take out veteran ranks, you stop getting bigger numbers and scene changes earlier, so you quit earlier.

The last time I leveled, it took 25 hours to get to 50, then 40 more hours to get to v16. This wasn't with grinding or anything, just normal questing at a relaxed pace with a friend. What you're advocating is taking 65 hours of content and reducing it to 25. For what purpose? So that people don't feel burdened by having more game to play? I don't get it.

The "better way" is to have more content. But that's expensive, so you might as well incentivize people to experience the content you do have.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 1, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I feel like the introduction of a solo PvE arena is going to have very interesting effect in the game.

I totally blew the whole optimize CP thing. I have just gotten very interested in creative ways to make my failplar work. Progress, though until I learn the flow of dungeons (and then learn to recognize PvP flow and builds) I will just be running around like a dying, headless chicken mashing random buttons.

It seems like the fastest way to earn cp is leveling from VR1-12 or so anyway so soon I will level my EP Stam Sorc and an EP Argonian healer. He can swim!!!! (Actually the 9% self heal buff doesn't seem bad for healer survivability.)

Is it recommended to avoid the game for a day or something after such a large update (not that I actually will or anything)?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Maintenance is going to be 12+ hours anyway so just write off tomorrow and possibly tuesday since add-ons will also be hosed until the authors can push out updates for them.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Likely to be a skill reset like last time or not?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Sogol posted:

Yes, there'll be a skill reset with every DLC.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sogol posted:

No, Gina confirmed it in a thread that I can't find anymore, but there will be no skill reset because they did very few changes to skills unlike the Imperial City update.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

JackBadass posted:

Yes, there'll be a skill reset with every DLC.

Scyantific posted:

No, Gina confirmed it in a thread that I can't find anymore, but there will be no skill reset because they did very few changes to skills unlike the Imperial City update.

Place your bets please. Betting closes in 24 hours.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Betting's closed.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 2, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I dunno. Are you sure she meant "not" in the negative sense of the word?

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
What's the best potion, stamina/health/unstoppable or stamina/health/weapon crit?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
You can get the same buff for weapon critical potions give you via the FG skill Expert Hunter.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
I like unstoppable/detect/magicka pots in PvP, because gankers go all-in on stealth and/or CC and don't usually have a backup plan.

In PvE, I don't like putting buffs on pots, because I want them off cooldown in an emergency.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 2, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
NA Megaserver is up and the patch seems to be around 3.5gb in size.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

radintorov posted:

NA Megaserver is up and the patch seems to be around 3.5gb in size.

:eyepop: Thought you misplaced a decimal there.

e: Don't need denima for writs anymore, goty.
e2: Have to say, I like that they're bringing more things that should be in the base UI into the base UI.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 2, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

tgidieday posted:

:eyepop: Thought you misplaced a decimal there.

e: Don't need denima for writs anymore, goty.

Instead every writ will now require Hajeiko and Repora runes.

Have fun, crafting spergs.

Also what's the drop rate on tier 10 mats in orc-land? Am I gonna see a normal flow of 3-4 raw mats of rank 10 stuff or am I going to have to write an undetectable bot program to farm the 1pc nodes whenever I'm at work/school? Also how many rank 9 nodes have you seen?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Approved songs: "Punch the mage in the face". I like this DLC.

Everyone playing seems to be farming mats and complaining about not getting v15 ones. I wouldn't read anything into that.

e: To be slightly less cryptic, the rates for high-level mats from crafting nodes seem terrible. But you're in a place full of v16 mobs, so it's actually pretty great if you just kill stuff and decon like IC.
e2: Further correction: rubedo hide is a thing, so suck on that mages.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 2, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Welp.

Breaking: v15-16 item grind remains an unbearable slog. News at 11.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

From what I'm reading on their forums at work, Zenimax managed to pull a miracle out of their rear end and make the new LFG Tool actually work. People are reporting quick dungeon runs and minimal time in the search queue.

Score 1 out of 100 broken rear end things for them, I guess.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Server died, so don't give them too much praise just yet.

e: In case it's not clear, it's definitely my fault for playing a game on launch day.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Also what's the drop rate on tier 10 mats in orc-land? Am I gonna see a normal flow of 3-4 raw mats of rank 10 stuff or am I going to have to write an undetectable bot program to farm the 1pc nodes whenever I'm at work/school? Also how many rank 9 nodes have you seen?

Just found a bunch of rubedite nodes, so now I don't know what to think. Each node gives you about 3 raw mats, and 10 raw mats give you 7-10 refined ones. It's definitely better than IC, and that wasn't all that bad.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

SOMEONE GIVE ME A SITREP ON MY GUILD BANK RIGHT loving NOW

People are reporting that stacks upon stacks of stuff are disappearing from guildbanks.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

doomfunk posted:

You can get the same buff for weapon critical potions give you via the FG skill Expert Hunter.

ah, i forgot it was one of those non-stacking buffs. i'm experimenting with taking expert hunter off my bar (to replace with flappy wings and i've got about 48% crit unbuffed anyway) so that might synergise ok with a crit potion. I'm mainly doing pve on this guy

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
apparently 200 gigs free isn't enough to install the patch

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
i wouldn't like to bet on whether it genuinely needs that much space free to apply the patch or whether the launcher's hosed. i mean they did break the mac launcher pretty bad in the IC patch, to the extent that i started bypassing it and launching eso.app directly because otherwise i'd have to wait an indeterminate amount of time for it to decide i had the game installed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Along the lines of the question about Savagery, do Brutality and Empower stack?

• Locked thread