Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Luneshot posted:

I don't know enough about airships or the British history of them to know where this story is going, and I'm afraid to look it up because I'm expecting it to end in a large fireball and dozens of deaths. :ohdear:

Spoiler: the R101 did not catch fire.

Still killed four dozen people, though, making it the third worst airship disaster in history.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Cat Mattress posted:

Spoiler: the R101 did not catch fire.

Well, not before it hit the ground at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

fknlo posted:

Yesterday some IS affiliated group claimed responsibility for downing that plane in Egypt. Today they released this video to back up their claims. It sucks and looks kind of fake, but maybe they weren't bullshitting?

Christ, I've seen UFO and Sasquatch videos clearer than that.

If they did do it, Russia gonna gently caress their poo poo up.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Nebakenezzer posted:

Airship stuff
Just want to say that these posts are awesome and I'm glad you are still doing them :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

slidebite posted:

Christ, I've seen UFO and Sasquatch videos clearer than that.

If they did do it, Russia gonna gently caress their poo poo up.

The smoke after the 'hit' looks really fake to me, and coming from the fuselage instead of an engine, but as you say, it's so unclear that I certainly wouldn't put any money on it being fake or not.

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007

Brovine posted:

So, where was I today?

Educated guess and wild stab in the dark all at the same time

London City Airport?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The Locator posted:

The smoke after the 'hit' looks really fake to me, and coming from the fuselage instead of an engine, but as you say, it's so unclear that I certainly wouldn't put any money on it being fake or not.

It's fake because they don't physically possess anything capable of causing it.

Just because I post a blurry video of sun rising while I claim to be causing it, doesn't mean I should get a "maybe" on whether it's true or not.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Godholio posted:

Just because I post a blurry video of sun rising while I claim to be causing it, doesn't mean I should get a "maybe" on whether it's true or not.

I don't personally have the knowledge or the information to make a determination, that's all I really meant by that. I have no idea what they physically possess.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Godholio posted:

I'm waiting for a Russian source to say "they would need a Buk to do that."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Godholio posted:

Besides, that second part where it turns grainy B&W looks like a spliced in WWII gun cam.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

standard.deviant posted:

lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

standard.deviant posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_Air_Defense_Forces#Regional.2FStrategic_Perimeter_level_SAM

Seems the Egyptians have both Buks *and* Patriots, as well as S-300s.

In before RT suggests that it was a PAC-3 battery hacked by ISIS, which could have never happened with a Russian SAM system because Rodina Stronk.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 2, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A bomb seems more likely than a SAM.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Yeah a bomb seems reasonably plausible at first glance, since it looks like it literally broke in half in mid-air. Could that happen due to overspeed during the descent? For instance, if the plane pitched down, accelerated, then the pilot regained some control and tried to pitch up, snapping the tail off.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Mortabis posted:

Yeah a bomb seems reasonably plausible at first glance, since it looks like it literally broke in half in mid-air. Could that happen due to overspeed during the descent? For instance, if the plane pitched down, accelerated, then the pilot regained some control and tried to pitch up, snapping the tail off.

That questionably leaves enough time for the captain or FO to have sent out some kind of distress signal, albeit brief. Otherwise, explosive decompression?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
So far I'm leaning towards a repeat of the JAL 123 disaster as the airplane suffered a tail strike in 2001, and apparently they've found the airplane's tail section intact (as can be after falling 30,000 feet anyways) but separate from the rest of the wreckage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can also go with TWA800. The bomb was built into the plane the entire time!

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

So far I'm leaning towards a repeat of the JAL 123 disaster as the airplane suffered a tail strike in 2001, and apparently they've found the airplane's tail section intact (as can be after falling 30,000 feet anyways) but separate from the rest of the wreckage.

They found the tailcone+APU, rear fuse with vertical stab but as far as I can see without rudder, but so far I have seen no trace of the tailplane. It's not really possible at this point to pin this on a decompression. A bomb is of course a distinct possibility, but also ADIRU accelerometer shenanigans are not unheard of. Looking at the extreme VSI indications, going through two full cycles of very high positive and negative values this is rather what I'm thinking of, although it would be the first time this leads to an inflight breakup at altitude.
This is of course assuming that the values published by FR24 are genuine, but whether these values are the actual flight parameters of the aircraft at that moment or simply crap output from the avionics transmitted over ADS-B is immaterial: vertical acceleration is used to compute the vertical speed as well being as the primary pitch demand input for an Airbus FBW flight control system at high mach.

We also still waiting for the final report of QZ8501, which was due for release last month. I am still very, very curious what happened there.

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 2, 2015

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
This is an example of what I'm on about. There are more videos out there from the ATSB, also of similar events in Airbus aircraft, but this is the only one which displays the accelerometer outputs in real time. Note how the values go from "dumdeedum flying along normally" to "FUUUUUUUU -2.5G vertical, 1.25G longitudinal and 1G lateral" in no seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XNnEzFF5fg

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

lordmaf posted:

London City Airport?

Yup. Just a little foggy yesterday - by the time I left work I don't think more than eight or so aircraft had managed to land the entire day and I don't think many more were likely to get in by that point!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
'External factor' caused Sinai crash http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34697416

:stare:

So, is that code for bomb on the plane? Matches with the break-up and IS claim.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
The "external factor" will be that it was a jet built by meddling Europeans with inferior European/American engines, and they'll both do anything including sabotaging a plane with 224 people on board (and shooting down 298 on MH-17 with AA missiles) to enslave the Slavic people in their EU "gulag". And that's why we should all be buying Sukhoi 100's and Il-96's as they're Russian planes. Vote Putin.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Thank you. Seriously. Your nerding out on aircraft makes my day.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

lordmaf posted:

London City Airport?

I second that guess because water, what looks like 1980s LDDC bus shelter architecture and fog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdDZfH9-wU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Russian Sinai crash - KGL9268's route would have taken it over eastern Ukraine eventually. RUSSIANS BOMBED THEIR OWN PLANE! Bomb went off early. BUSH DID 9/11! :ussr:

Also: I just watched Homeland last night and I'm paranoid.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Generation Internet posted:

'External factor' caused Sinai crash http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34697416

:stare:

So, is that code for bomb on the plane? Matches with the break-up and IS claim.

The deputy director OF THE AIRLINE has "ruled out mechanical failure or pilot error," less than a week after the crash.

Ya, no politics there, at all. BBC should be ashamed it even printed what the rear end in a top hat said.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Nah, gotta report if only to have it written down if he has to eat his words later

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Nerobro posted:

Thank you. Seriously. Your nerding out on aircraft makes my day.
:agreed:
Yeah, I think this goes for most people here. Keep doing what you :)

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

The deputy director OF THE AIRLINE has "ruled out mechanical failure or pilot error," less than a week after the crash.

Ya, no politics there, at all. BBC should be ashamed it even printed what the rear end in a top hat said.

kinda hoping it really got blown out of the sky because that would mean karma really is a bitch

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

kinda hoping it really got blown out of the sky because that would mean karma really is a bitch

That really would be loving spectacular. Also probably really bad for global stability.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The truest form of this would involve some separatists that got lost and somehow drove their BUK down to Egypt and blew a Russian airliner out of the sky.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Equally good would be the bomb being made from materials supplied by Iran originally sourced from Russian arms sales to Iran.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

I find this line of thinking abhorrent. Ugh.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Equally good would be the bomb being made from materials supplied by Iran originally sourced from Russian arms sales to Iran.

Ah yes, ISIS sourcing Iranian materials :rolleyes:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10201499889632787&id=247514375367214

Hot air balloon towing glider

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Muslim Brotherhood or Hamas, not ISIS.

It's not a terribly likely proposition. I kinda doubt it was a bomb.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

CharlesM posted:

I find this line of thinking abhorrent. Ugh.

ehhh reciprocity is pretty much the only thing keeping world leaders from doing stupid poo poo like giving advanced anti-aircraft capabilities to rebels. karmas as good a runner up as it gets

well okay reciprocity would be the only consideration for a realist, an institutional liberalist would argue norms and values restrain states too but putin wipes his rear end with norms

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Koesj posted:

Ah yes, ISIS sourcing Iranian materials :rolleyes:

Yeah if it's ISIS it would be US equipment abandoned by the Iraqi government.

Of course there's no way we left and lost track of a loving patriot battery so SAMs seem to be out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

That's an interesting method. And at least it seems safer than helicopter towing that I have heard some people talk about.