Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The counter is the 11th wave in greed mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Seems like the flag is "are you playing greed mode" and the counter is how many waves you've done. I don't think I've ever not gotten the devil room at the end of a greed mode floor. Could be wrong?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

HenryEx posted:

I'm updating my step-for-step breakdown on how your devil door chances are calculated and putting them down here for later reference.

The chance to spawn the door adds up like this:
  • The base chance to spawn the door is 1%.
  • Have a Pentagram? Add 10%.
  • Have more than 1 Pentagram? Add another 5%.
  • Have a Black Candle? Add 15%.
  • Is your current active item Book of Revelations? +17.5%.
  • Is your current active item Book of Belial? +12.5% (Poor Judas.)
  • Have you blown up a Beggar on this floor? +35%. (Only normal coin beggars count for this)
  • Have you suffered red heart damage in this room? If not, +35%.
  • Have you suffered red heart damage on this floor? If not, +99%.
  • Have you blown up a corpse (grey dudes in shops, secret rooms etc) on this floor? +10%.

If you've seen a Devil Door before on this run, the following modifiers come on top:
  • Was the last time you've seen a Devil Door spawn two floors back? If yes, Chance * 0.5
  • Was the last time you've seen a Devil Door spawn on the last or this floor? If yes, Chance * 0.25

The game now tests whether the check to spawn a Devil Door has failed on this floor before. If yes, your Chance = 0.
(This makes sure you can't see the door again if it has ever closed, because the check runs every time you step into the boss room)

Now the game checks whether you have Goat Head. If yes, it increases your chance by +6660%. (Overkill much?)
Since this happens after the aforementioned test, Goat Head can even open up rooms that already closed (or never spawned) before.

Rebirth stopped at this point. However, Afterbirth runs one more check after this, which i call All-Or-Nothing. It checks upon a flag and some kind of counter. I don't know WHAT in the game influences these two things, but i know what's checked. It goes like this:

Is the flag set? If not, nothing happens and chance calculation ends. If yes:
  • Is the counter below 11? Then your chance is 0%
  • Is the counter 11 or higher? Then your chance is 100%
This will even override Goat Head. Maybe it's related to Greed mode somehow? Dunno. If you ever notice Goat Head not opening up a Devil Door when it should, let me know.

Yup, that's totally a greed mode check. Every floor in Greed Mode you have to do 10 waves (8 normal waves, 2 boss waves) before you can leave the floor. But you can then challenge the 11th wave, a third boss wave, for a guaranteed Devil/God room. Once that's done, your wave counter (below your resources) reads 11/10 and the supernatural room opens up for you and stays open until you head down.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Makes sense. I haven't actually tried Greed mode yet. :v:
So this basically just prevents you from getting Devil Rooms in Greed mode until that wave and overrides everything else.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
You can be teleported into them by red chests/the joker card, but yeah, most of the time you're getting in from the 11th wave.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

So apparently the incubus familiar doesn't gain spectral tears if they shoot while physically inside a terrain object like a rock.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, each wave is coded to be a "room" so charge items wouldn't be useless in Greed Mode. That check was probably put in to prevent Goat Head from forcing open the Devil Room prematurely.

Incidentally, the Book of Belial giving a 2500% chance was actually a bug. Tyrone was told about this and looked into it, resulting in the chance reduction. Maybe someone accidentally put in 25 instead of .25 or however it's coded in there.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HenryEx posted:

• Have you suffered red heart damage in this room? If not, +35%.
  • Have you suffered red heart damage on this floor? If not, +99%.

Wait, what? So ??? and The Lost, along with any other times a character has no red hearts, will get the devil room 100% of the time on floor 1? And then at least 25% on the other floors?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RatHat posted:

Wait, what? So ??? and The Lost, along with any other times a character has no red hearts, will get the devil room 100% of the time on floor 1? And then at least 25% on the other floors?

Yep. It's one of the reasons why people go after no red heart builds.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Not on floor 1 (no Angel/Devil rooms possible there), but you're guaranteed one on floor 2 with at least 135%, yeah. :v:
Your chance will be at least 33.75% on floor 3 and 67.5% on floor 4 if you didn't get it on floor 3.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

HenryEx posted:

Not on floor 1 (no Angel/Devil rooms possible there), but you're guaranteed one on floor 2 with at least 135%, yeah. :v:
Your chance will be at least 33.75% on floor 3 and 67.5% on floor 4 if you didn't get it on floor 3.

One exception to no Deal With the Devil on Floor 1: If it's an XL floor (2 Item rooms, extra rooms) then the normal chance for the Deal room applies.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Well, poo poo. Afterbirth won't even launch. Steam just pops up the 'preparing to launch game files' message over and over, but nothing's actually happening. I've deleted and reinstalled the game files, made sure my computer can handle OpenGL 3, and still nothing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

some guy on stream apparently announced an update for isaac next year that will add mario makery custom map and run/items support

which sounds kind of cool I guess?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Volt Catfish posted:

some guy on stream apparently announced an update for isaac next year that will add mario makery custom map and run/items support

which sounds kind of cool I guess?

Maybe they should get all the poo poo in this one working before they start work on some other thing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, when I heard Lilith was going to be a familiar centric character, I said gently caress that poo poo.

Having now played her...

:getin:

Was able to do Boss Rush, Hush and Lamb in one run.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'd say that Greed Mode has thoroughly failed at being about risk/reward gameplay. It's a pretty good "see how many ridiculous item combinations you can get" mode though.
Being able to spend money to reroll the RNG in certain rooms is a pretty great addition IMO

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Augus posted:

I'd say that Greed Mode has thoroughly failed at being about risk/reward gameplay. It's a pretty good "see how many ridiculous item combinations you can get" mode though.
Being able to spend money to reroll the RNG in certain rooms is a pretty great addition IMO

Honestly I wish they would include an 'Easy Mode' or something where this is always an option. As much as I love this game it still irks me when you get The Poop in the treasure room and Kamikaze as the boss reward, or something equally useless.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Dr. Fetus posted:

According to Cobalt Streak, Ultra Greed's HP scales depending on how much you've spent. Though I think it also depends on how many items you have. If you somehow spam the Friend Box with Lilith in the Ultra Greed fight, dude's just gonna get tankier and tankier with more familiars you summon.

Well that would explain why this fight took so long

http://imgur.com/fdeJlEB

http://imgur.com/T0RuHns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3FX1qI05Yo

frame drops are fromme loving up the recording, the game was running "fine"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has anyone determined how the book of belial determines dd chance now? Because they really nerfed the poo poo out of it.

Why Nicalis, why do you have to make items less fun.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

On that note, people are thinking that Hush's HP scaling depends on how fast you've taken out the Blue Baby form. Though the problem with that theory is, how does Chaos Card factor into it? If you have a bad build and used Chaos Card on the first form for some reason (and aimed it sideways so that it would miss Hush himself), that might end up causing Hush to have max HP or whatever, and you'd have to take it all out with low damage or whatever. Then again, considering how certain things were designed in the expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone determined how the book of belial determines dd chance now? Because they really nerfed the poo poo out of it.

Why Nicalis, why do you have to make items less fun.

There was a post earlier about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the Gnawed leaf still broken as gently caress or was it nerfed?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think all the items are cool with the except of bob's brain which can hang itself in fire pit hell

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Volt Catfish posted:

I think all the items are cool with the except of bob's brain which can hang itself in fire pit hell

it's cool if you have pyromaniac

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RatHat posted:

Is the Gnawed leaf still broken as gently caress or was it nerfed?

Still broken. Gnawed Leaf + Daddy Long Legs can still work for the most part for The Lost. But if you got Ultra Greed's HP too high, good luck beating him with that combo. Or be prepared to wait for an eternity.

By the way, be careful about picking up Chaos. It might end up emptying out the item pools much earlier than you're supposed to, if you get unlucky.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I walked through a secret door while I had xray vision in greed mode, and there's no exit. I tried bombing my way out. Any ideas?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Still broken. Gnawed Leaf + Daddy Long Legs can still work for the most part for The Lost. But if you got Ultra Greed's HP too high, good luck beating him with that combo. Or be prepared to wait for an eternity.

By the way, be careful about picking up Chaos. It might end up emptying out the item pools much earlier than you're supposed to, if you get unlucky.

I had a breaking run with The Lost in Greed mode (finally won! YAY!) and the item pools don't empty anymore. I had Ipecac and was bombing the reroll machine, and after a while everything became Breakfast. But I also noticed that every once in a while, a real item spawned. So I left the room, fought the boss, and came back and bombed the machine again... and real items popped up. Breakfasts started popping up more than usual though.

IV Bag might be the most broken item in Greed mode, but Chaos really ties it all together.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh. It might just introduce a ton of Breakfasts to the pool then.

By the way, Platinum God has info on most of the Afterbirth items and trinkets now. Not all of them though. It has nothing on the currently undiscovered items out there. (ie. stuff like Mom's Locket.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So don't combine Box of Friends with Charged Baby. I used Box of Friends so many times when I went into the next room my familiars were just gone.

EDIT: Oh they appeared again when I used Box of Friends. Guess I hit the max and overflowed to 0 or something.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Huh, apparently Lilith breaks Greed mode. Let's see about that.

:staredog:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tendales posted:

Well, poo poo. Afterbirth won't even launch. Steam just pops up the 'preparing to launch game files' message over and over, but nothing's actually happening. I've deleted and reinstalled the game files, made sure my computer can handle OpenGL 3, and still nothing.

If anyone else is having this problem, the issue is with steam, not the game. Exit and restart steam.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
Greed mode seems real easy to break, any run I've got the IV Bag was a win. D20 can also be pretty broken in a fun way and some of the new items like Prize Bombs just seem to make everything go insane. I wonder if they're going to patch it or rebalance it but as of right now it's kind of fun to see how many batshit combos you can get.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Einwand posted:

So apparently the incubus familiar doesn't gain spectral tears if they shoot while physically inside a terrain object like a rock.

That's not unique to the incubus. I just noticed that Ghost Baby does the same thing if you try and make it shoot while it's inside a rock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Greed Mode is just honestly too easy. Even if you don't abuse the infinite money things you still pretty trivially end up a god if you get past the first floor.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dr. Fetus posted:

Though I think it also depends on how many items you have. If you somehow spam the Friend Box with Lilith in the Ultra Greed fight, dude's just gonna get tankier and tankier with more familiars you summon.
Posted this earlier

Didn't feel like it took any longer than other times I've killed him.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hmm. Ultra Greed's HP seemed to be scaling within the fight in one of my playthroughs, but yeah, I can't really say.

Fun little Easter Egg Flush has now. It instantly kills Dingle and The Brownie. They even have special animations for it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Did ol' edmund think this was really a 100+ hour expansion? I smoked the new mode with all the dudes, except the lost, and beat every challenge in like 6 hours over the past two days. I mean its a lot of neat stuff, but the horde mode aspect of it is so hit or miss that I doubt most people are going to keep going back to it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ludovico+Parasite shot+Magnetic shot causing enemies/bosses to freak out and shake all over the place was in the game before this right?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The paper mask is an amazing item. I have 99 bombs, 30 keys, and 99 coins right now. Too bad the donation machine broke.

Lillith is a fun character. I'm usually not that big on familiars but that tune changes quickly when you can summon an army of them at will to murder everything

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Did ol' edmund think this was really a 100+ hour expansion? I smoked the new mode with all the dudes, except the lost, and beat every challenge in like 6 hours over the past two days. I mean its a lot of neat stuff, but the horde mode aspect of it is so hit or miss that I doubt most people are going to keep going back to it.

There were a lot of promises, like 120+ new items and other stuff that weren't really delivered on. That being said though, I'm going to get 100+ hours out of this, just because I'll be playing Afterbirth for basically ever. I'm finding Greed mode a lot of fun, and I could see myself going back to it. After playing it for hours today, I know the act of exploring floors again is going to feel so alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Apparently Ultra Greed scales with how long you take to kill Monstro.

So if you just loving blast in and murder him, UG is a wall of iron, but if you take a relatively long time to beat him (This doesn't mean you can just avoid him for a while and kill him, you have to shoot him occasionally), he won't be as strong.