Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Welp, Lilith unlocked the SMB achievement for me. She's OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
What's great about the IV bag? Just a ready source of coins?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bleremiah posted:

What's great about the IV bag? Just a ready source of coins?

More coins per use than a heart costs on average

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Anti-grav tears on Azazel is SO weird. It would have really messed up my Dark Room run if I didn't have Lil' Brimstone.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's extremely cool that a Brimstone Ghost can instantly kill me without warning from offscreen when I finally get some momentum as the Lost in Greed Mode.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

So the data miners found some plain text snippets among the encrypted data files:

This is either a red herring to throw the data miners off or these could be clues to something. Also, the Greed donation machine breaking at 109 could have something to do with Psalm 109.

Edmund also just posted on Twitter that there's going to be a patch sometime this week that fixes all of the "big issues" and maybe adds a few things.

I'm going to enjoy the "easy" Greed mode while I can. My gut tells me that Edmund is the type to turn the difficulty of that mode around, based on how he likes to nerf things people complain make the game too easy.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

ErIog posted:

So the data miners found some plain text snippets among the encrypted data files:

This is either a red herring to throw the data miners off or these could be clues to something. Also, the Greed donation machine breaking at 109 could have something to do with Psalm 109.

Edmund also just posted on Twitter that there's going to be a patch sometime this week that fixes all of the "big issues" and maybe adds a few things.

I'm pretty sure this is just a way to tell data miners to gently caress off.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I guess someone figured out how to break Daily Runs already

Pez fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 2, 2015

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dammerung posted:

It happens, and don't worry too much about it - it looks like it's capped, in general, at 109 for whatever reason.

Well, just had a run where I got the IV bag, swallowed penny, and piggy bank. The hardest part was I got that item which makes you constantly fire tears, which made it really hard to see anything on the ground.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I found a weird glitch today.

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I was fighting Little Horn and fell into one of its holes. Afterwards, I was completely immune to all enemy damage. I could walk into them and tank their shots without getting hit. However, I was also no longer able to pick up any items.

I was still able to damage enemies, though, so this probably would have been a guaranteed victory.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

BillmasterCozb posted:

Welp, Lilith unlocked the SMB achievement for me. She's OP.

She seems great for greed mode, but pretty meh for regular runs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

It depends on your setup. If you get a baby train going or reliable energy gain she is a complete monster.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
drat multiplicative chances for Angel rooms. Math class was so long ago.

So, i know to calculate chances for something like 50% + 25% multiplicatively, you do:
1- [ (1 - 0.5) * (1 - 0.25) ] = 0.625 = 62.5%

So how do i work chance decreases into this? Something like 50% + 25% - 10%? Is it:
1 - [ (1 - 0.5) * (1 - 0.25) / (1 - 0.1) ] = 58.33% ?
Or do i multiply with 1.1 instead for 58.75% ?
Hope someone is better versed in math than me here, i'd rather not have to get my old math books from the attic just for Isaac. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I've only done two normal runs with her now, and I only have Mega Satan left to do with her outside of hard mode stuff. I don't even think I got anything super OP for either of those runs either, just solid items.

Maggy continues to be my least favorite character not counting the Lost for obvious reasons. I can't seem to get anywhere on a Greed run with maggy, I just get overwhelmed on the first floor. I guess I could hit the stop button, but I haven't had to do that with other characters. :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It depends on the RNG as with all things, but familiars are pretty common and it doesn't take many of them to get a pain train going.
On my first run with her I was able to have two of the default familiars throwing Mom's Knives and a pair of Daddy Long Legs instantly stomping things. That was enough to steam roll all the way through Satan

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Oxyclean posted:

I think I've only done two normal runs with her now, and I only have Mega Satan left to do with her outside of hard mode stuff. I don't even think I got anything super OP for either of those runs either, just solid items.

Maggy continues to be my least favorite character not counting the Lost for obvious reasons. I can't seem to get anywhere on a Greed run with maggy, I just get overwhelmed on the first floor. I guess I could hit the stop button, but I haven't had to do that with other characters. :colbert:

If you want to get it done and don't care about scumming, restart until you get a blood bank in the shop, then play it until you get an IV bag, then try and hope for swallowed penny or piggy bank (or both). Buy every HP-up you can, too.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Edmund took to Twitter and posted these:
"god i hate the fact that i need to do this but there are so many butt tards out there so ill clear it up..."
"all the features on the steam page are true minus one.. but not the one you are thinking, also i wish death upon all the non believers!"
"look to la luna bitches!"
"im hiding the remaining content beyond a series of micro-transactions that im calling an ARG, i also require the souls of the non believers"

Since he's referring to it as an ARG I'm going to assume not all the content is actually in the game yet, and it's not going to start until the patch comes out later in the week.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Oxyclean posted:

I got Whore of Babbylon on a devil deal early, then played EVE JR mode. That might help

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ErIog posted:

"god i hate the fact that i need to do this but there are so many butt tards out there so ill clear it up..."
"all the features on the steam page are true minus one.. but not the one you are thinking, also i wish death upon all the non believers!"
"look to la luna bitches!"
"im hiding the remaining content beyond a series of micro-transactions that im calling an ARG, i also require the souls of the non believers"

Since he's referring to it as an ARG I'm going to assume not all the content is actually in the game yet, and it's not going to start until the patch comes out later in the week.
I cannot believe he's still this upset over the stupid Lost thing.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
So is it possible now to do a seeded run to get the Eden's Gift thing and say a Dead Cat or Holy Mantle to be able to start up Lost runs quicker? I know the spectral tears and D4 help some, but I was never skilled enough to get very far on The Lost without some backup and hated sitting and spam rerolling looking for something good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

I cannot believe he's still this upset over the stupid Lost thing.

Every time I read something from him I become quietly convinced that SMB and BoI are good at least partially by sheer accident.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The Haunt in a half-sized room as a first floor boss, what the gently caress were you even thinking

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got Whore of Babbylon on a devil deal early, then played EVE JR mode. That might help

Yeah, Maggy's advantage is that she has a lot of starting HP to make those devil deals....but her lacking speed and damage combined with my being-bad-at-video-games means getting to the devil deal is tricky.

Fuego Fish posted:

If you want to get it done and don't care about scumming, restart until you get a blood bank in the shop, then play it until you get an IV bag, then try and hope for swallowed penny or piggy bank (or both). Buy every HP-up you can, too.

Oh man, and I thought breaking Greed Mode with excessive bombs/bomb projectiles for infinite shop rerolling was nuts. Looking forward to trying this tonight.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ErIog posted:

uh, we still talking about BoI here?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Ok so if he's insisting that the steam page is accurate and there actually are 120 new items, that means there must be a ton that haven't been found yet, yeah? Just judging from the platinum god page we should still be missing something like 15-25 items.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Must be really gated when you can't even use cheat engine to get them

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jusupov posted:

Must be really gated when you can't even use cheat engine to get them

Well one of them you actually can use cheat engine to get. Other things, though, like sprites for the second new character are missing right now unless they've done some clever encryption that I'm not sure they're really capable of.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Prop Wash posted:

The Haunt in a half-sized room as a first floor boss, what the gently caress were you even thinking

"Welcome to the gently caress Corridor. :unsmigghh:" - Edmund

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
He does that a lot!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ErIog posted:

Well one of them you actually can use cheat engine to get. Other things, though, like sprites for the second new character are missing right now unless they've done some clever encryption that I'm not sure they're really capable of.

I legit wonder if part of the reason it's crashy and messed up is they were slopping pulling stuff out after Q-Aing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My personal gently caress corridor came in the form of a narrow hallway with Pestilence as the boss. At some points I could count the pixels on the floor that weren't blocked by poison goo.
Honestly I couldn't even get mad about that, it was a hilarious clusterfuck

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Maybe having narrow boss rooms is just a bad idea and should be scrapped

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Speaking of, it'll be interesting to see how the people who make their livelihood off streaming this game react to some of the changes. For better or worse, it seems like the expansion added a lot of situations where death is pretty much guaranteed. Like going into a fight with The Haunt with one heart, it's not technically impossible but you have to hope that luck is on your side. Cobalt in particular I feel like is going to have trouble getting PBs anymore.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

Speaking of, it'll be interesting to see how the people who make their livelihood off streaming this game react to some of the changes. For better or worse, it seems like the expansion added a lot of situations where death is pretty much guaranteed. Like going into a fight with The Haunt with one heart, it's not technically impossible but you have to hope that luck is on your side. Cobalt in particular I feel like is going to have trouble getting PBs anymore.

Yeah I don't think it's quite hit him yet since he is just running through the game right now, but p sure streaks are a thing of the past for this game.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I posted this when it happened and everyone here disagreed at the time but it's real dumb to get mad at the lost dataminers because the actual puzzle/arg/game/whatever was figured out. Literally all that was left to do was the execution of putting the puzzle pieces together (which had already started). The dataminers did nothing but speed up the unlock process by like a day. I can't imagine why anyone think that's a big deal, back then or now. Its not like the actual arg was compromised, it just didn't get fully executed, but it was understood what to do by the point the data miners finished, the actual "puzzle" was solved, it was just a matter of waiting for other people to tediously suicide themselves in a sacrifice room dozens of times.

I'm honestly not sure what delaying the rest of the content a week actually accomplishes versus just releasing it all back on Friday.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

He had a run with the lost last night where he made it to the dark room, then died because a red chest warped him into the devil room. There was one of those little floating demon dudes in there hidden behind the statue, it hit him twice before he could even react.

Poor dude just sat there with a thousand yard stare haha

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ImpAtom posted:

Every time I read something from him I become quietly convinced that SMB and BoI are good at least partially by sheer accident.

Dude has good ideas, but boy does he have issues. I think SMB is the only thing that worked out the way he intended for him. I agree that a lot of things in BOI he seems to have stumbled upon by accident. A few blog posts on upcoming items and game modes really didn't turn out the way he intended once the game actually game out. For example, the Champion Belt was meant to be a high risk, high reward item. In practice, it's a pickup most of the time, because it's a huge damage increase, and champions aren't that much harder to deal with. And more champions means more pickups.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dude has good ideas, but boy does he have issues. I think SMB is the only thing that worked out the way he intended for him. I agree that a lot of things in BOI he seems to have stumbled upon by accident. A few blog posts on upcoming items and game modes really didn't turn out the way he intended once the game actually game out. For example, the Champion Belt was meant to be a high risk, high reward item. In practice, it's a pickup most of the time, because it's a huge damage increase, and champions aren't that much harder to deal with. And more champions means more pickups.

I think he has an odd idea of what threatening and what is fun in the game. He seems to under-emphasize certain things (bouncing foes, small areas) and over-emphasize others (high HP pools or non-standard attack patterns.) A lot of design decisions make sense that way but it feels like it could use testing from other sources. Greed Mode is a great example of that where I can understand some of the design decisions if you assume he's got a pretty non-standard view of what is/isn't threatening. (The blood donation machine thing is just straight-up an oversight/bad design tho'.)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

He had a run with the lost last night where he made it to the dark room, then died because a red chest warped him into the devil room. There was one of those little floating demon dudes in there hidden behind the statue, it hit him twice before he could even react.

It really seems like it's an oversight that you can enter the devil room from the top, especially when there's a floating demon dude up there.

Anyway as much fun as it is to make fun of Edmund's hilariously bad ideas, I've been having a good time with Afterbirth thus far. I also hope that he patches the Crashes The Game! pill out of the rotation, because it crashes my game whenever I take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

PantsBandit posted:

That happened to me once, but with one of those invisible dudes. Abaddon was right for me to pick up too. Also, I'm not sure what caused, it but I had a Lilith run where some of the babies fused together. In particular, the Rotten baby fused with the Incubus and fired flies at a much faster rate than the normal rotten baby in addition to her own tears. Using the box of friends summoned two more of the unfused babies.