Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Aliquid posted:

*scratches arm* hey...hey man. you got a book? it doesn't have to be too heady, just a few chapters to get me through the day

I might be just a simple librarian, but I'm going to embrace my new Walter White esque career choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

The Iron Rose posted:

FPTP promotes moderation in politics, and limits the range of acceptable political ideologies in a given system. It's why, say, UKIP isn't more popular. It screws fringe leftist/rightist parties and generally produces either two or three mostly centrist parties.

Which is great, the entire system is build upon slow, moderate change in one direction or another and I have no problem with more radical candidates being effectively shut out of the political process.

None of this is true. Except for limiting political ideologies being represented in government, and that's a bad thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wait, if public education is like a drug, should Libertarians want to legalize it?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mojo Threepwood posted:

40% of all upcoming book signings at Costcos nationwide are Dr. Ben Carson: http://m.costco.com/author-signings.html

And the super-PAC has a bus parked outside. It is really a rather smart evolution of the direct-mail -> email mass-marketers that consume the funds of the right wing.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
All that smoke in Boehner's office just proves how much of a RINO he was by being so willing to work with Obama.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Chalets the Baka posted:

None of this is true. Except for limiting political ideologies being represented in government, and that's a bad thing.

If anything it leads to the kind of big tent system we're seeing in the US right now where electoral strategy and strategic voting demands co-operation between incompatible wings of a party, which can result in the extreme wing slowly poisoning the party from the inside. In a proportional representation system, the Tea Party would've emerged as a splinter from the mainstream right-wing party (if one didn't already exist, it probably would have) and could've been sidelined from having any impact whatsoever on government by the remaining parties if seen necessary, although with populist movements this typically also increases their popularity so it's a risky gamble.

Strategic voting is garbage and if your electoral system is supposed to accurately represent the ideological and political views of the voting population, FPTP does not accomplish that. Given that stable European democracies have PR systems with multi-party coalitions, where compromise is imperative for a functioning government and you get a new election if no compromise coalition can be created, FPTP doesn't really come off as a guarantor of stability or gradual reform either. If anything FPTP systems only reform themselves kicking and screaming at the last possible moment, and they can lead to relatively tumultous party system realignment as one of the two parties collapses and is replaced by another instead of a gradual shift in electoral results.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Raerlynn posted:

Counterpoint: Ashley Madison hacks, so...

Yeah, but there's a huge difference in credibility between "politician does stupid, stupid poo poo because it fits into his sexual fantasies" and "politician does stupid, stupid poo poo because it plays into his sense of racial superiority". Examples of the former are a dime a dozen, and despite everyone desperately, desperately wishing and hoping, no one in Congress or running for President has actually said anything obviously racist, and no, Santorum didn't, you just wish he had.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What happens to these Super Pacs after the elections if they have money left or do they just through it all before the Election ends?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mojo Threepwood posted:

40% of all upcoming book signings at Costcos nationwide are Dr. Ben Carson: http://m.costco.com/author-signings.html

"Yeah let's let this board member politicize our company during election silly season when our market position rests mostly on the kind of soft liberal support Target gets for being Not-Walmart."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hollismason posted:

What happens to these Super Pacs after the elections if they have money left or do they just through it all before the Election ends?

They can basically launder it to themselves to spend however they wish.

Stephen Colbert has a good explanation

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hollismason posted:

The yoogest, most luxurious hookers and blow party

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Antti posted:

Strategic voting is garbage and if your electoral system is supposed to accurately represent the ideological and political views of the voting population, FPTP does not accomplish that. Given that stable European democracies have PR systems with multi-party coalitions, where compromise is imperative for a functioning government and you get a new election if no compromise coalition can be created, FPTP doesn't really come off as a guarantor of stability or gradual reform either. If anything FPTP systems only reform themselves kicking and screaming at the last possible moment, and they can lead to relatively tumultous party system realignment as one of the two parties collapses and is replaced by another instead of a gradual shift in electoral results.

Exactly. Having an efficient political system with accurate representation that gets results - and can be changed on the fly if it doesn't - is as much a moral imperative as it is a pragmatic one. Canada is already having that discussion and we should be doing the same here. Most of the general public's gripes with American politics - having no choice/representation and a just-about-useless Congress - has entirely to do with FPTP and separation of powers. It's something most everyone would get on board with.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Without some of the people on the list admitting to and/or screaming denials about their presence on the list, I'm not sure there's a way to confirm or deny the names on the list as of right now. I'd imagine larger news orgs will probably dive into the list or pull some connections with actual KKK members (undercover or otherwise) to check if the list is real. As of right now, it's not legit, but it's probably also not not legit.

That list is on par with old BBS anarchy.txt files in how short and pointless it is. There's nothing to it at all.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

He should have run an earlier campaign promising to create a time machine because then, when he was elected, it just would have happened.

Ah the Bill and Ted paradox, that'd be a hell of a campaign.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Iron Rose posted:

Which is great, the entire system is build upon slow, moderate change in one direction or another and I have no problem with more radical candidates being effectively shut out of the political process.

Are we sure this guy isn't MIGF?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Chokes McGee posted:

Louisvillian here. I'm utterly terrified about the election tomorrow because literally no one I know is even aware of it. Conway's campaign did something really smart and posted huge "VOTE!" signs in the most liberal strongholds (I.e. Bardstown Rd), but otherwise, I got one reminder from the ground game and I'm not even 100% convinced it wasn't just some guy in the neighborhood and not a campaign volunteer.

I've got a really bad feeling about this. I hope people are right about Kentucky being demmycrat territory, but after the Kim Davis shitshow, I just don't know.

What I'm worried about is democrats are usually a bit more educated so they know about things like 538. 538 has lately really reinforced the idea that polls don't lie. However, that's largely only true at the federal level. States and locals tend to be screwier because there are a lot less data points. So will democrats stay at home knowing Conway has it in the bag? They had better loving not because the republican is literally worse than Walker/Brownback. I'm moving to Louisville soon, so don't gently caress me on this one Kentucky.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “The main thing I would say is that nothing’s free. If someone offers you something for free, treat it as if they’re offering you heroin and think about the repercussions of what is free and what is a drug, an addicting drug like heroin and the ramifications of that. There’s nothing free. It just means somebody else is gonna pay for it, you don’t see them. So the plumber, the welder, the carpenter, the people who don’t go to college are being asked to pay for your education.” ~ Rand Paul, on public education.

"You should have taken the opportunity to talk about how heroin should be legal!"

"Shut up dad"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SedanChair posted:

"You should have taken the opportunity to talk about how heroin should be legal!"

"Shut up dad"
If Ron is smarter than his son, which is probably the case, he'll just leave a bunch of his old speeches on the table and wait until they are plagiarized into his GOD GIVEN 10 uninterrupted minutes at the beginning and end of every upcoming Republican debate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grouchio posted:

Speaking of TURKEYS, could the US possibly go to war with said country in the future provided Erdogan becomes as dickish as Assad or Putin?
No, and we're not going to war with North Korea either.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Vox's podcast the Weeds talked a lot about gerrymandering and election design. Matt Yglesias also talks about his piece on the short term issues with the democratic party. I recommend listening to it: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/voxs-the-weeds/e/41059344?autoplay=true

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ladies and Gentlemen, your Liberal Media:

http://www.ibtimes.com/msnbc-hosts-who-went-palm-springs-koch-junket-score-historic-koch-interview-2165269

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

@ppppolls: Jindal>Bush in our new Iowa poll

:eyepop:

His rollout of the new slogan "Jeb can fix it" isn't cutting it apparently.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Flip Yr Wig posted:

That list is on par with old BBS anarchy.txt files in how short and pointless it is. There's nothing to it at all.

The November 5 list will probably be more complete and should have enough to determine the full veracity of the list. I'd assume that Anon themselves believes it's legit since there's nothing in it for the group to undermine themselves as a whole. If a few of them seek to tank the whole, however, this is probably the way to do it beyond an outright outing of other members.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
So who's going to become governor of Kentucky, Conway or Bevin?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Talk ablut embarrassing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Xelkelvos posted:

The November 5 list will probably be more complete and should have enough to determine the full veracity of the list. I'd assume that Anon themselves believes it's legit since there's nothing in it for the group to undermine themselves as a whole. If a few of them seek to tank the whole, however, this is probably the way to do it beyond an outright outing of other members.

Anyone can put whatever they want online and say they're from Anonymous.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Carson is here in town doing a booksigning today but I have no desire whatsoever to go.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

How gracious of the most visible of the American House of Lords to actually involve themselves with the people.

e: I just want to mention how much I love this old political cartoon, and especially the fact it's still completely accurate:

foobardog fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 2, 2015

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I can't help but think of the British tv-show Jim'll Fix It.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Old James posted:

I can't help but think of the British tv-show Jim'll Fix It.

That and Bob the Builder cliches.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How many times a day do you think Jeb mutters "It wasn't supposed to be like this" under his breath?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jeb is going to go the same way as Karl Rove and won't believe he's not President until the Secret Service physically bars him from the White House.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

How many times a day do you think Jeb mutters "It wasn't supposed to be like this" under his breath?
At this rate it's probably a constant refrain.

Also, a crosspost:

Jagchosis posted:

btw jeb! bush said he had never seen the slides that got leaked until the press reported them lol
I can't decide if it's sadder if this is true, or sadder if Jeb! is just transparently lying for whatever dumb reason.

Each scenario is sadder than the other one, it's the infinite sadness of Jeb!

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

None. Bush is absolutely convinced that he's killing it in personal appearances, and that between that and the crowd's he's drawing, he'll be just fine in the election.

Sure, he looks like a fool on national TV and all the editorial cartoons are showing him as a sagging deflating flaccid man, but everyone he knows says he's doing a great job, so it must be true!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jeb! is what rear end in a top hat Boomers and Gen-Xers think Millennials are like with their supposed "everybody gets a trophy" and "I expect to get what I think I deserve right now" attitudes.

He seems like a guy that has coasted through life to great success but thought he did it through his own ability. Now he is finally in a situation where he can't just show up and get a reward and it really hasn't clicked for him yet.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Man, it's too bad Scott Walker couldn't get in on the candidates' collective petition for better working conditions.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

He just looks drained now. Every photo of him lately has a middle-distance stare and a fake smile like someone's jamming a gun into his back.

Does anyone think he's gonna stick with this if he starts polling in Scott Walker territory and gets demoted to the kiddie debate?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fried Chicken posted:

Man, it's too bad Scott Walker couldn't get in on the candidates' collective petition for better working conditions.

god drat

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He just looks drained now. Every photo of him lately has a middle-distance stare and a fake smile like someone's jamming a gun into his back.

Does anyone think he's gonna stick with this if he starts polling in Scott Walker territory and gets demoted to the kiddie debate?
I think a kiddie table debate might be the last straw that would get Jeb! to finally drop out.

It's one thing to be in the middle of the pack behind Trump/Carson and still be at the main debates, it's another to be in the lowest dregs with Bobby Jindal, Rick Santorum, and Lindsey "I literally won a debate by showing up half drunk, making jokes, and talking about bombing people a lot" Graham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rollofthedice posted:

So who's going to become governor of Kentucky, Conway or Bevin?

Late October polls have Conway in the lead, but turnout is going to be very low, which favors Republicans. I still favor Conway, but mostly due to the fractional nature of the Republican primary and Bevin's outsider status. Then again I'm from New England.

• Locked thread