Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Unclear: Does taking max Toughness (+50 Damage Resistance) and max Refractor (+50 DR against energy) make you immune to energy, take half damage from energy, or 25% damage (half of half)? Or does DR max at 80% like it has in previous games, regardless of how many pluses you have from what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Everyone keeps talking about mods. I don't understand why, since surely a new game from Bethesda will have paid mods from day 0.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ihmemies posted:

Everyone keeps talking about mods. I don't understand why, since surely a new game from Bethesda will have paid mods from day 0.

The EULA on Steam specifically says that all mods must be free. You're gonna need to shitpost harder.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Monkey Fracas posted:

The weird-looking physics glitches are just making me want to play the game more

Physics glitches and bugs are all part of the genuine bethesda game experience. I buy bethesda games expecting nothing less and will only get salty about it if the bugs are gamebreaking or ruin my saved games basically.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

dd209 posted:

Well I'd rather they used budget VA than waste money on celebrity voice acting that nobody even notices in 90% of situations. There is no demographic out there that went "Wow, Chloe Moretz and Susan Sarandon? I'd better pre-order this 'Dishonoured' right away!"

See also: a surprising number of NPCs in New Vegas with relatively famous actors that are only relevant for a single quest.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That Dogmeat gif is nothing compared to the bullcrap D-Dog pulls off in MGSV.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

They put Lovecraft stuff in 3 so if they made a game set in New England and don't have some Innsmouth references they really dropped the ball.

I'd forgotten about the Dunwich Building. What a trip that was. The payoff was only so-so though, I'd definitely like a full Innsmouth questline.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Croccers posted:

That Dogmeat gif is nothing compared to the bullcrap D-Dog pulls off in MGSV.

New headcanon: Dogmeat is DD that got launched hundreds of years into the future by Kaz's new-fangled time machine experiment.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im g uessing even if I got a physical FO4 copy early on PC I couldn't play it huh? I think it requires Steam...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lotish posted:

Unclear: Does taking max Toughness (+50 Damage Resistance) and max Refractor (+50 DR against energy) make you immune to energy, take half damage from energy, or 25% damage (half of half)? Or does DR max at 80% like it has in previous games, regardless of how many pluses you have from what?
There are two kinds of resistance now, energy and ballistic ("normal")

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eonwe posted:

im g uessing even if I got a physical FO4 copy early on PC I couldn't play it huh? I think it requires Steam...

Steamworks only, yup. In fact, a few high profile releases ended up where the PC disc didn't actually have the game itself on there, just a Steam installer and a product code. The future is digital. Long live the new flesh.

mryellowduck
Oct 31, 2015

by Shine

Eonwe posted:

e: beat me to it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm going to play this game and have fun, I'll try to have fun for you non-fun-havers too :(

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
darn, guess I'll wait then

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC
"Jones Soda's Nuka-Cola Quantum will be available at Target stores starting Nov. 10, the same day Fallout 4 launches. This isn't the only Fallout-based beverage in the works — Carlsberg is producing Fallout Beer, which will be available exclusively in the U.K. on Nov. 5."

motherfucker

UK Goons (UKG) step up to the plate here .. is this the Monster Brew I've been hearing so much about?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

loving Polygon linked to this piece of poo poo blog alongside that one

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/30/9645834/im-afraid-to-play-fallout-4

This is some grade A goober poo poo:

quote:

Fallout 3 also managed a casual poignancy that no other open world game I've played has. It was full of snapshots of death and sadness — skeletons in a closet holding each other when the nuclear fire swept through; computer journals glibly describing the ways in which technology would go on to betray its makers. It felt like a place where people were, before they suddenly weren't anymore. And then to see the struggle of people building a life on the remains of that world, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, was intense.

There was plenty of silly poo poo in Fallout 3, of course. But it was also a game that in so many ways dealt with death and loss and moving on. It was a sledgehammer of a metaphor for me as someone who had graduated from college and was looking, desperately, for a means to build a life with an education that was seemingly more mis-aimed as the days passed. I know how maudlin that sounds! But hindsight is helpful to give me perspective now, I guess.

Now, I'm coming off of a year that involved a painful breakup and other personal challenges, as well as the death of my father in September. I don't know if I need an escape the same way I did then, but I think I would still value one.

But how could Fallout 4 possibly live up to all of that? It's an enormous, undue amount of pressure to place on a game that's releasing years later. It's not fair, obviously, and though I am reviewing it, I will be aggressively managing my perspective because I know where I was and where I am are different. I'm a little afraid that Fallout 4 can't possibly live up to even those carefully modulated expectations.

I'm damned sure going to find out, though.

Yeah, Fallout taught me how to move on with my life after the death of all things.

It also taught me not to shoot a Fatman off in an enclosed space or like

at the ground

Well actually it's good to do that because all of my arms and limbs and legs blew off and I flew several hundred feet through the air.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Ha, I'm in Aus getting a Pipboy so even with the midnight launch I'll have to still download the fucker then wait for the US unlock.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Bethesda games appeal to me because the unique combination of 1st person perspective, environmental detail, and interactivity means that every little place feels cool because you feel immersed right down in it. For example in other games, any given room in a village or castle or whatever mostly only serves as a connecting point between significant areas for quest activity. They don't draw you in. But in a Bethesda game, any given room and outdoor clearing has enough detail and enough poo poo in it including clutter and containers that you really feel like you could inhabit the place and make a home or base out of it if you wanted.

There's a shitload of jank and poor workmanship in Gamebryo Bethesda games obviously, because Bethesda is plain and simply not a very talented development studio, but the games are still fun in their own way because Bethesda has kind of mastered the angle of releasing mostly just blank-slate platforms + mod tool kits that give you MMO-level potential for aimless roleplaying however the hell you want at your own pace, which is almost entirely unique in the genre short of actual MMOs, and it boggles my goddamn mind that so many other developers don't see exactly what's going on and do the exact same thing, considering how much talent it doesn't take relative to other big budget efforts and how much money it ends up making Bethesda.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Even though I get aroused criticizing Bethesda, their games are the ones I have spent most hours in.
Also, I bet the new DJ is the same voice actor as Three Dog and will be just as annoying.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I can't wait to make a character, to give him a name, to experience an immersive skill/stat/perk selection system, and then to yell HATE NEWSPAPER at everyone I see as they get stuck on room geometry.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Crappy Jack posted:

Steamworks only, yup. In fact, a few high profile releases ended up where the PC disc didn't actually have the game itself on there, just a Steam installer and a product code. The future is digital. Long live the new flesh.
It is confirmed that the physical PC copy does not have the full game. It comes with one DVD (probably 1/3rd or less of the game data) and the rest is downloaded from Steam. If you have a slow connection, you are better off going ahead and pre-ordering on Steam so you can at least take advantage of the pre-load. Otherwise you'll still have to download ~20gb when you get your copy.

Edit: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-pc-discs-dont-contain-full-data-partial-/1100-6431658/ etc

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The dog casually walking around while on fire is hilarious.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

loving Polygon linked to this piece of poo poo blog alongside that one

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/30/9645834/im-afraid-to-play-fallout-4

This is some grade A goober poo poo:
That piece is nearly as bad as that "Diablo Made Me Get A Divorce" piece on Kotaku.

I think, looking at the perk tree, I'm finally gonna play the energy weapons/science coat nerd I've always wanted to play.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Taking note of those Daikatana comparisons, I hereby propose Fallout 4: Todd Howard's About To Make You His Bitch whenever people get to play or new thread is made.

And if one DVD really only holds one third at most, Boston should have plenty of diamonds buried in Bethesda "It Works" stuff. Anyone got their hands on console copy for full size or estimate?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Eonwe posted:

should i play fallout 3, new vegas, or skyrim while i wait for fo4

you decide my fate

I reinstalled FNV, and modded it up to play until Fo4 comes out, come hang in CTS mumble with me.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GuyUpNorth posted:

Anyone got their hands on console copy for full size or estimate?

28 GB on Xbox One PS4 will probably be similar.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

The game references make the song pretty embarrassing imo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LumberingTroll posted:

I reinstalled FNV, and modded it up to play until Fo4 comes out, come hang in CTS mumble with me.

im in there, if you ever want to get my attention you can pull me out of a channel

i usually hang out in the angry dome with grithok

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mokinokaro posted:

28 GB on Xbox One PS4 will probably be similar.

That's not enough gigs! More gigs! There's not going to be enough to do with only that many gigs.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

If there is a final boss enemy, and "Ricochet" works on all enemies I will desperately try to be the first to youtube my heroic victory.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
There had better be a loving proper last boss and I mean a last boss. Two forms, as big as a room, he fires alternating lasers at you that you have to jump over, you hit three switches to open his power core, shoot one rocket inside, and then repeat twice more until dead.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If you noclip behind him you can see the rocket hit Todd Howard's head on a stick

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The final boss turns out to be a bandit with a giant hat of the boss and if you noclip underground the bandit says whats the matter afraid of your own blood, or whatever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Valatar posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands is the only proper answer to that question.

That's what I did yesterday, got it set up with some of the decent mods. About to go get shot by a sniper in a minefield :feelsgood:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

null posted:

The dog casually walking around while on fire is hilarious.

That happens in fo3/nv as well if they're on fire when combat ends

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

lmao if you think any of that was serious. it's a joke on a bunch of games and series that used to be M are now T to heighten sales

I like the little todds

Is that a Casio Databank?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The more I see of the game, the more I am concerned it is going to be an awful fallout 3 abortion that shouldn't be coming out in 2015. I am officially concerned.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

waaaah I think games that come out in 2015 should look like The Matrix because

furthermore I think games that come out after other games should be flawless for these reasons

Seriously, all of us know Bethesda by now. Either buy the game for the new gimmicks it offers, because you like the franchise, and you'll like the game. Otherwise just gently caress off :shrug:

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'd forgotten about the Dunwich Building. What a trip that was. The payoff was only so-so though, I'd definitely like a full Innsmouth questline.
If you are a huge Lovecraft fan, you should get Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Do not read anything about the game first.

If you are not a huge Lovecraft fan, go back in time to when you were 13 and start reading Lovecraft stories (you can skip the poetry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Asproigerosis posted:

The more I see of the game, the more I am concerned it is going to be an awful fallout 3 abortion that shouldn't be coming out in 2015. I am officially concerned.

You only now realized that fallout 4 was basically going to be like fallout 3? Should someone spoil for you that grand theft auto 6 is going to be a lot like grand theft auto 5 too?

• Locked thread