Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I didn't see this mentioned and heard about it on NPR

Paul Ryan says Obama can't be trusted on immigration reform

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

A Winner is Jew posted:

Outside of Rubio who are they really looking at for 2020? The current crop of republican governor :airquote:superstars:airquote: are all getting their rear end kicked by Trump and the tea party is now being attacked (or at least not supported at all) by the establishment now.

Yeah they wouldn't have full control over poo poo with Trump in the white house as opposed to someone like Walker or Jeb!, but Trump is still worlds better than Clinton with so many upcoming vacancies on the bench and while they're still in full control of both the house and senate.
If it came to it, I think they have no choice but to support him, and I'm sure he knows that any threats to leave him swinging in the general is a total bluff.

But there's a big difference between that being plain to see for everyone involved, versus admitting it out loud, especially right now. So you make your threats, hope something sticks, and shore up your options for having some semblance of party control if he makes it into office...and back him enough to win if he gets to the general.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Cabbit posted:

Jeb!'s new slogan isn't going well.
Oh man, these are always great. Some highlights:

quote:

#JebCanFixIt? Yikes. Hope they're talking breakfast, 'cause his campaign is toast.

quote:

If you experience an erection lasting longer than 4 hours #JebCanFixIt

quote:

Toast lands butter-side down? #JebCanFixIt

quote:

Dear Jeb!: Regarding your #JebCanFixIt slogan, the #GOP scam is to pretend you have anything to offer a Joe the Plumber, not steal his job.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

icantfindaname posted:

jeb! is the epitome of A for effort not being a thing that exists in the real world. i absolutely believe jeb! has earnestly and honestly worked to get success in life, it's just that hard work doesn't guarantee success and he seems too hopelessly naive to know that

the last line of this article sums it up

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/opinion/sunday/fall-of-the-house-of-bush.html

Of course it's Maureen Dowd.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

theshim posted:

Oh man, these are always great. Some highlights:

I tweeted "#JebCanFixIt, but only if it's your model train set, or a scattered pile of lego building blocks."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bushiz posted:

While Hillary's emails are a total political non scandal it does show the general level of technical incompetence of the people inside the beltway. I would be totally unsurprised if there's more than one senator who has a password that's just the name of their hometown.

I assume their klan membership predates their time in congress?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

i absolutely believe jeb! has earnestly and honestly worked to get success in life, it's just that hard work doesn't guarantee success

I think it's less to do with hardwork and more to do that coasting on privilege doesn't guarantee success. The Bush clan don't really strike me as a hardworking family. Not really sure what the author is going on about paying dues. Maybe tipping the waiter a bit more so they don't record whatever horrible stuff is going on?

I mean Trump is privileged as hell but he's pretty fun and entertaining.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that because I'm in a really weird mental state now (pre-election stress) that my Union joke wasn't as obvious as I assumed it was.

Same for the one prior to this one, and the hoodie joke before that, all of which went over like a lead balloon.

My bad folks

ahahahahaha i got it now. my bad.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Has this been posted? Cause I'm surprised this news is just coming out:

quote:

How is Rubio helping the poor so much? Well, Rubio's plan would replace the standard deduction and personal exemption with a $2,000 credit ($4,000 for couples). That's a big increase. Currently, for a couple in the bottom, 10 percent tax bracket, the standard deduction and personal exemption is worth a maximum of $2,040. A $4,000 credit is a near doubling of that.

That helps people at the bottom end — but only somewhat. After all, many of the poorest Americans don't owe any income taxes in the first place. In 2015, 40.4 percent of tax units will have a negative or zero income tax burden. That's mostly the poorest Americans, and they're not helped at all by a plain old credit. But Rubio's proposal, as originally laid out, is not a plain old credit. It's a fully refundable credit. Think about that for a second. Rubio's original proposal would give any household in America $2,000 or $4,000, no questions asked. It was a basic income. It was a massive increase in the welfare state of a kind that no Democratic candidate, including Bernie Sanders, is proposing.

So it's perhaps no surprise that when I asked his team about this, they insisted that this was a mistake, and the credit was in fact much more limited. "Rules would be tailored to ensure that our reforms would not create payments for new, non-working filers," a Rubio aide told me in April.

It's unclear what exactly that means, especially since the aide insisted that the tax was nonetheless refundable
. But one thing it definitely does mean is that millions of people who would've benefited from a simple $2,000 to $4,000 refundable credit won't benefit under Rubio's actual plan.

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/30/9642850/marco-rubio-john-harwood

So apparently, the only reason Rubio's tax plan looks as good as it does in terms of benefiting the poor, is because Rubio misled (or at the very least, let them assume without bothering to correct them) the Tax Foundation into thinking that his plan would provide refundable tax credits, even though that's something he actually opposes and insists is not the way his plan is supposed to work. :lol:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 2, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I think it's less to do with hardwork and more to do that coasting on privilege doesn't guarantee success. The Bush clan don't really strike me as a hardworking family. Not really sure what the author is going on about paying dues. Maybe tipping the waiter a bit more so they don't record whatever horrible stuff is going on?

I mean Trump is privileged as hell but he's pretty fun and entertaining.

Honestly Trump's too dangerous to be entertaining. He's constantly preaching xenophobia and hating "others" and I can see him riling up his supporters enough for them to assault someone who looks Mexican or Muslim.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Honestly Trump's too dangerous to be entertaining. He's constantly preaching xenophobia and hating "others" and I can see him riling up his supporters enough for them to assault someone who looks Mexican or Muslim.

What, again? Phone posting so I don't have the link but that was a thing like a week or two ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

That already happened.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

They already beat up Hispanic protesters at their events.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

What, again? Phone posting so I don't have the link but that was a thing like a week or two ago.

I gotcha: a Hispanic student protestor was assaulted during a Trump rally just a week ago.

EDIT: Here's a link to the full video.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Wait that's not the event I was thinking of:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/08/20/donald_trump_boston_immigrant_attack_beaten_homeless_hispanic_man_should.html

quote:

Two Boston brothers were arrested early Wednesday and accused of severely beating a homeless Hispanic man on their way home from a Red Sox game; police say one of them cited Donald Trump's positions on immigration to justify the attack. From the Boston Globe:

Police said Scott Leader, 38, told them it was OK to assault the man because he was Hispanic and homeless.

“Donald Trump was right, all these illegals need to be deported,” he allegedly told the police.
So it's happened at least twice. Fun, huh?:smithicide:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I hope with all of my heart that he makes it to the general so that I won't have to worry about who will win the presidency and can worry about all of the downticket races instead. Trump vs. Hillary would be a shellacking on the order of Goldwater vs. LBJ.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Am loving The Atlantic giving it to the Times this week:

quote:

The New York Times is often accused of having an unacknowledged liberal bias. Leftists sometimes insist that it has a conservative bias. I don’t think any newspaper in the world does better than the Times. I subscribe to it, often marvel at its scope and excellence, and believe that, like everything, it is biased in all sorts of ways, perhaps none more than this: It is an establishment paper. It overvalues the voices, perspectives, assumptions, and observations of powerful establishment insiders, whom it treats with far more credulousness and deference than they deserve.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

That KKK list is apparently some other group/person and not officially Anonymous, per http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/01/operation-kkk-is-beginning-to-unmask-hate-group-members/ (scroll down a bit) for whatever that's worth. The 'real' list is apparently still planned for later this week some time. So pick which hacker group you think is more credible, I guess?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

BobTheJanitor posted:

That KKK list is apparently some other group/person and not officially Anonymous, per http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/01/operation-kkk-is-beginning-to-unmask-hate-group-members/ (scroll down a bit) for whatever that's worth. The 'real' list is apparently still planned for later this week some time. So pick which hacker group you think is more credible, I guess?

I don't think that either of them are particularly credible, but the first list was outright laughable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sounds pretty accurate.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 3, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That list is also as 4chan would say "fake and gay" since one of the alleged KKK members, the mayor of Knoxville, is an LGBT activist who worked with Cesar Chavez among other things. It's just a list of random politicians' contact info someone found on Pastebin that's been there since June.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

I hate when I'm right. :smith:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Yeah, that ship sailed months ago when those douchebags in Boston decided to beat up a random brown person in The Donald's name.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 3, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
ahahahah gently caress vitter

http://www.brproud.com/news/local-news/democrat-john-bel-edwards-in-the-lead-according-to-new-wvla-poll

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

richardfun posted:

Yeah, that ship sailed months ago when those douchebags in Boston decided to best up a random brown person in The Donald's name.

And he subsequently blew it off as "well I don't endorse that sort of behavior but boy, you have to love how passionate my supporters can get right?"

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And he subsequently blew it off as "well I don't endorse that sort of behavior but boy, you have to love how passionate my supporters can get right?"

It's a good sign of white privilege, because when the New Black Panther party showed up at polling places, conservatives acted like Obama ordered them to himself.

Trump? Aw, shucks, people get a little excited, don't ya know?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

good. maybe Louisiana can not be on fire for once.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

As others have pointed out, it has already happened at least twice

But my question for you is how is what he is saying about Mexicans any different what the rest of them have been saying about Muslims for the past 14 years? Keeping in mind the large number of attacks on Muslims and organized and supported hate groups in that time

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Right, I forgot about that one.

'There is always more, and it is always worse.'

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

:wow:

between bush<jindal and this, today has been full of amazing polls.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
If we end up with a democratic governor for Kentucky AND Louisiana, that would be pretty interesting.

↓↓↓ Don't ask me, I'm from Texas

Chelb fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 3, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rollofthedice posted:

If we end up with a democratic governor for Kentucky AND Louisiana, that would be pretty interesting.

How is the Legislative/Executive balance over there? Does the Governor get to set the starting point of the budget bill, with limited Legislative amendment possibilities, like in New York, or is it closer to how it's done on the national level?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I would be ecstatic over a Democratic Party governor. We get screwed over like a third world banana republic for years and all people can think of as a solution is "well the problem is our constitution won't allow even more cuts to those fat cats in education!" instead of "hey where are those increased revenues from lowered taxes?"

Even saw a scare piece in the local paper about the Louisiana Business Owner's association warning that Bel Edwards was going to destroy the Louisiana economy because he wasn't sufficiently anti-Union. Good, I hope he wins and the parasite class has a collective stroke.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Goddamnit

Moved from Louisiana because of it's shitass Republican ways and it goes and elects a Democrat. WTF.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Don't worry, I'm sure Louisiana will do anything to avoid the D because we can't help ourselves. Edwards is pro-gun and anti-abortion and people will still fling themselves away by reflex.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Damnit I've got 10 bucks on Vitter winning.

I've already made $6.75 on the volatility surrounding him, so maybe I'll offload and bet the other way.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Mr Interweb posted:

Has this been posted? Cause I'm surprised this news is just coming out:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/30/9642850/marco-rubio-john-harwood

So apparently, the only reason Rubio's tax plan looks as good as it does in terms of benefiting the poor, is because Rubio misled (or at the very least, let them assume without bothering to correct them) the Tax Foundation into thinking that his plan would provide refundable tax credits, even though that's something he actually opposes and insists is not the way his plan is supposed to work. :lol:

Sound long term policy be dammed i just want another couple of free checks from the government. :colbert: I bought some magic cards and went to a strip club with the last two, it was pretty cool.

Also re: page 9, mods please rename me to "Lord Milk"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Moved from Louisiana because of it's shitass Republican ways.

This is why I support Vitter: his experience keeping poo poo from leaking.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

greatn posted:

How much power does Ryan have over the house functions not relating to law? Like can he ban smoking in the offices and institute pizza Thursdays in the cafeteria?

Only if the pizza is the King James instead*.

*The King James being a hamburger and pizza slice inbetween a grilled cheese sandwich, for those unfamiliar with his alma mater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

The Atlantic has done some fantastic stories on the Presidential campaign as of late, their cheat sheet is an excellent primer. Shout out to Coates' October cover story on mass incarceration and their story about NOLA's Mayor Landrieu and his efforts to cut rates of black imprisonment and recidivism.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 3, 2015

• Locked thread